International Applicants 2013-2014 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HOS

Re: International Applicants 2013-2014 Cycle

Postby HOS » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:19 pm

Hey guys, checking in. I studied UG in the UK, have a superior and a 169 LSAT. Submitted my apps in mid-November and hoping to hear back soon from a number of the T14.

jkm wrote:Hi Babum - thanks for the welcome! Unfortunately, I'm one of those 2014 or die trying types (I just turned 30, so graduating at 33 panics me enough!). Who knows, maybe luck will be on my side and the Dec LGs will have featured ten C answers in a row?! If not, I 'm hoping to get grades high enough for a transfer to NYU after the first year.

I was in a similar position to you last year, jkm. I was 30, had not done as well as planned on the LSAT and was thinking of taking a backup option. You're your own person but personally I'd have no worries about waiting another year. Looking back, it was the right decision.

I decided to wait a year after being told by one of the lower ranked T1 schools that had accepted me that merit aid was purely a numbers game. Graduating at 33 might scare you; graduating at 34 with less debt should alleviate those fears somewhat.

Babum

Postby Babum » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:48 pm

jkm wrote:Hi Babum - thanks for the welcome! Unfortunately, I'm one of those 2014 or die trying types (I just turned 30, so graduating at 33 panics me enough!). Who knows, maybe luck will be on my side and the Dec LGs will have featured ten C answers in a row?! If not, I 'm hoping to get grades high enough for a transfer to NYU after the first year.

But that's very good advice about applying and then updating with the Feb score - I didn't know that applications could be updated after they were submitted. Thanks for the info!

No prob. They can be updated with new information as long as the decision hasn't been made, though I think I read of someone's file being reconsidered after getting rejected (I'm not so sure).

I agree with HOS, but in the end it is your choice.

EDIT: As a person with that many years of work experience and other factors, would the LSAT be a realistic measure of their future performance?

nmic

Postby nmic » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:09 pm

Hi guys! Checking in... did UG in Eastern Europe (Above Average), plus a MA (also Above Average), 5 years WE, pretty solid LoRs, took the December LSAT (1st time), working on my applications and planning to submit them by the end of next week. I can't stand waiting for the score and doing nothing, so I just thought I'd go ahead and apply before knowing how I did, I hope it isnt' a major mistake :D

HOS

Postby HOS » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:08 am

Babum wrote:
jkm wrote:EDIT: As a person with that many years of work experience and other factors, would the LSAT be a realistic measure of their future performance?

I'm not sure what the LSAT measures but it doesn't matter; the fact is it counts. Also, I don't know if you've seen the thread but an ex adcom was fairly honest about it: even if you've been rejected, a high LSAT score could still get you into the school of your choice (assuming that the reason you got rejected in the first place was your LSAT score and not a C&F issue etc.)

Babum

Postby Babum » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:04 am

nmic wrote:Hi guys! Checking in... did UG in Eastern Europe (Above Average), plus a MA (also Above Average), 5 years WE, pretty solid LoRs, took the December LSAT (1st time), working on my applications and planning to submit them by the end of next week. I can't stand waiting for the score and doing nothing, so I just thought I'd go ahead and apply before knowing how I did, I hope it isnt' a major mistake :D

If you ask around the forum, the major mistake was intending to apply to law school. From that point on, it doesn't matter ;)

Do keep in mind if you haven't sent your transcripts// LOR, it takes time to process and it might delay your whole application. But yea, I filled all my apps before getting my score.

HOS wrote:I'm not sure what the LSAT measures but it doesn't matter; the fact is it counts. Also, I don't know if you've seen the thread but an ex adcom was fairly honest about it: even if you've been rejected, a high LSAT score could still get you into the school of your choice (assuming that the reason you got rejected in the first place was your LSAT score and not a C&F issue etc.)

Nice. Well from what I've read, (For the SAT at least) the longer a person has been out of college, the lower they will perform on average on said test. Which could mean they not caring about a lower score.

nmic

Postby nmic » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Babum wrote:
nmic wrote:Hi guys! Checking in... did UG in Eastern Europe (Above Average), plus a MA (also Above Average), 5 years WE, pretty solid LoRs, took the December LSAT (1st time), working on my applications and planning to submit them by the end of next week. I can't stand waiting for the score and doing nothing, so I just thought I'd go ahead and apply before knowing how I did, I hope it isnt' a major mistake :D

If you ask around the forum, the major mistake was intending to apply to law school. From that point on, it doesn't matter ;)

Do keep in mind if you haven't sent your transcripts// LOR, it takes time to process and it might delay your whole application. But yea, I filled all my apps before getting my score.

Haha, I've heard that one several times... I know what the overall situation is with the job market, I'm just gonna try and if I don't get into a decent school, I won't bother :)
Thank you, both transcripts and LORs have been sent and processed, all I have to do know is finish my PS and essays. Were you surprised by your score? Or did you have a pretty good idea on how you did? 'Cause I really can't judge my performance, everything is blurry now :)

Babum

Postby Babum » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:03 pm

nmic wrote:
Babum wrote:

Haha, I've heard that one several times... I know what the overall situation is with the job market, I'm just gonna try and if I don't get into a decent school, I won't bother :)
Thank you, both transcripts and LORs have been sent and processed, all I have to do know is finish my PS and essays. Were you surprised by your score? Or did you have a pretty good idea on how you did? 'Cause I really can't judge my performance, everything is blurry now :)

Somewhat. The first I did get surprised, by the second time I knew what I was in for.

HOS

Postby HOS » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:25 pm

Babum wrote:Somewhat. The first I did get surprised, by the second time I knew what I was in for.

I understand how you felt, 100% :lol:

Babum

Postby Babum » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:24 pm

So guys, how is the cycle going for all internationals?

Personally I just want unis to send their decision already and be done with it. :roll:

tbt_mike

Postby tbt_mike » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:21 pm

Hello everyone!

Just saw this thread and glad to meet my kind, international applicants! How are you guys doing in terms of application? Anyone here still waiting for decisions?

Picosaurus

Postby Picosaurus » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:10 am

Post Removed.
Last edited by Picosaurus on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

NapoleonXV

Postby NapoleonXV » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:38 am

Picosaurus wrote:Hi!

Only just starting following TLS and only been lurking so far.

I'm also glad this thread exists! Applying from having done a UK UG but tbh I was not particularly confident on my chances this year so applied to Penn ED and Berkeley. Dinged at the latter and was held at Penn. Thinking a retake of the LSAT may be in order!

I am currently doing UG in UK, and yea, retaking LSAT might be the wisest choice. Especially for us international applicants, without a numerical GPA, we have to get a lsat as high as possible

Picosaurus

Postby Picosaurus » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:13 am

Post Removed.
Last edited by Picosaurus on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

NapoleonXV

Postby NapoleonXV » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:25 am

Picosaurus wrote:
NapoleonXV wrote:I am currently doing UG in UK, and yea, retaking LSAT might be the wisest choice. Especially for us international applicants, without a numerical GPA, we have to get a lsat as high as possible

Yeah I'm starting to realise how large of a handicap it is, if only I had found this website 12 months earlier! I would have made a much more informed use of my time instead of throwing away the application fees :?

Got waist-listed at Penn so I guess that's the end of my little experiment this year! Now to start taking this more seriously. 8)

Good luck. If you have any questions in LSAT preparing or application more generally, fell free to pm me

CocoSunshine

Postby CocoSunshine » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:11 am

Hi internationals,

Could you kindly share how your cycle goes with us? Applying the 2014-2015 cycle, I would really appreciate your experiences given the less predictable admission for international applicants. Thanks in advance for any kind input!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”