Wake Forest c/o 2017 (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zippernicus

Re: Wake Forest c/o 2017 (2013-2014)

Postby zippernicus » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:19 am

tbgraham wrote:Just accepted yesterday! No scholarship though :/

Ditto. Super disappointed. Wake is my first choice bc of ties. Won't be able to seeing it for sticker though when I could attend hither ranked schools do 30k/yr less. Maybe Things will change :?

AT9

Postby AT9 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:22 am

How do you guys know you didn't get scholarships? Has the school confirmed it? They're probably open to negotiating if you have better offers elsewhere.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:05 pm

AT9 wrote:How do you guys know you didn't get scholarships? Has the school confirmed it? They're probably open to negotiating if you have better offers elsewhere.

naaaa, you took all of the available funds for scholarship money AT9 :lol: :lol: :lol:

zippernicus

Postby zippernicus » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:47 pm

AT9 wrote:How do you guys know you didn't get scholarships? Has the school confirmed it? They're probably open to negotiating if you have better offers elsewhere.

Stated not awarded at this time in the admissions letter. Hoping this might change once people withdraw.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:39 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:

naaaa, you took all of the available funds for scholarship money AT9 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha. Go back to Vandy.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:39 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:

Haha. Go back to Vandy.

:oops:

zippernicus wrote:

Stated not awarded at this time in the admissions letter. Hoping this might change once people withdraw.

If Wake is your top choice, it may be worthwhile to deposit and negotiate later on. Wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of money freed up after the first couple deposit deadlines (4/1 and 4/15 for most schools).

shaynislegend

Postby shaynislegend » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:21 pm

Deposit and retake the June LSAT if you can. I would confirm this with Dean Shively but I think they would reconsider your scholarship amount with a sizeable LSAT bump.

zippernicus

Postby zippernicus » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:59 am

shaynislegend wrote:Deposit and retake the June LSAT if you can. I would confirm this with Dean Shively but I think they would reconsider your scholarship amount with a sizeable LSAT bump.

I am hoping to do just this. My LSAT is already above the 75th though... so I am not sure if it will make a difference. Splitters. Ugh.

AT9 wrote:
If Wake is your top choice, it may be worthwhile to deposit and negotiate later on. Wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of money freed up after the first couple deposit deadlines (4/1 and 4/15 for most schools).

Thanks for the encouragement! :) I am hoping to do this. My deposit deadline is actually later, I think because I was accepted so late, so that was generous of Wake, at least. The somewhat depressing thing is, I am a Wake undergrad alum and received a no scholarship admissions letter and an email asking for donations for the endowment within an hour of each other. Quality. I did laugh though.

WakeLawAdmDean

Postby WakeLawAdmDean » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:21 pm

Greetings TLSers~

I am happy to learn that so many of you enjoyed your visit to Winston Salem. It really is a great place.

Regarding recent admits I would advise to be patient. There may be some scholarship funds available after the April 1 deposits are processed. Anyone with a recent offer or no scholarship should have a May 1 deadline specifically so that we can consider you for scholarships if there are funds available.

As always feel free to email or PM me if you have questions.

Warm regards,
Jay Shively
Wake Forest Law
(336) 758-5705 office direct
shivelrj@wfu.edu

amohiuddin

Postby amohiuddin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:31 am

I've been on the waitlist since February. Sent in a loci like 3 wks ago. I didn't receive a response back. Should I just wait till May or call them?

sunnyd101

Postby sunnyd101 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:53 am

Does anyone know how to go about requesting a seat deposit extension? I'm not really sure what to say in my email.

amohiuddin

Postby amohiuddin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:02 pm

I'm so nervous

shaynislegend

Postby shaynislegend » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:08 pm

amohiuddin wrote:I've been on the waitlist since February. Sent in a loci like 3 wks ago. I didn't receive a response back. Should I just wait till May or call them?

I would wait until after the deposit date (April 1st), I don't think they will be accepting anyone else until they have a better understanding of what the current class is looking like.

nickpapagiorgio

Postby nickpapagiorgio » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:37 pm

AT9 wrote:
abrahm wrote:http://career.law.wfu.edu/stats/class-of-2013-graduate-employment-profile/

The unemployed number is a bit scary. The other numbers aren't too different (maybe a tad better) than 2011, and Wake hasn't dropped to a TTT yet. So I'm a little concerned by these numbers, but I don't think it will translate to some long-term drop in reputation or prospects. Not to mention, 2013 was a huge class. Those of us entering this fall will be one of the smallest classes nationwide in years and possibly decades. So I'm hoping that will work in our favor!

The employment numbers are a little worrisome, but Wake is at no risk of dropping to TTT or even getting close.

WakeLawAdmDean

Postby WakeLawAdmDean » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:38 pm

Greetings TLSers~

We do not extend deposit deadlines.

We've found candidates unwilling to deposit at this point aren't serious enough about Wake to hold off on making offers to other students who may be waiting.

We work hard to get decisions out efficiently and host our ASDs early so that candidates can make an informed decision. It really isn't in our best interest to extend the deadlines. In many cases we're asking if you're committed enough to make a $500 ($200 if you've been to an ASD) deposit to secure $30,000 to $125,000 in scholarships. If not, history indicates we should focus our efforts elsewhere.

Of course, we'll gladly honor an offer whenever a candidate decides Wake is the right school for them as long as space and scholarship funds remain available. Some years there is space/scholarship available throughout the summer. Other years it will all be claimed by April 2.

Obviously, there are situations which might compel us to grant an extension but these individual circumstances are assessed as they arise. They do not include having not heard back from some of the schools a candidate applied to or not having had a chance to visit campus, especially where the candidate was admitted several months earlier.

We think all of our admitted students are great potential additions to our class and want to make you feel welcome and a part of the Wake Forest Law community. Unfortunately, it isn't in our best interest to have open deposit deadlines. We will rigorously monitor the deadlines and postmarks as it relates to our offers and scholarship budget. If you miss the deadline, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to honor your original offer.

Please let me know if there are any questions.

Warm regards,
Jay Shively
Wake Forest Law

zippernicus

Postby zippernicus » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:05 pm

WakeLawAdmDean wrote:Greetings TLSers~

I am happy to learn that so many of you enjoyed your visit to Winston Salem. It really is a great place.

Regarding recent admits I would advise to be patient. There may be some scholarship funds available after the April 1 deposits are processed. Anyone with a recent offer or no scholarship should have a May 1 deadline specifically so that we can consider you for scholarships if there are funds available.

As always feel free to email or PM me if you have questions.

Warm regards,
Jay Shively
Wake Forest Law
(336) 758-5705 office direct
shivelrj@wfu.edu

Thanks Dean Shively! I'll take this as good news. Definitely keeping my fingers crossed.

And Winston-Salem is wonderful!

amohiuddin

Postby amohiuddin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:08 pm

WakeLawAdmDean wrote:Greetings TLSers~

We do not extend deposit deadlines.

We've found candidates unwilling to deposit at this point aren't serious enough about Wake to hold off on making offers to other students who may be waiting.

We work hard to get decisions out efficiently and host our ASDs early so that candidates can make an informed decision. It really isn't in our best interest to extend the deadlines. In many cases we're asking if you're committed enough to make a $500 ($200 if you've been to an ASD) deposit to secure $30,000 to $125,000 in scholarships. If not, history indicates we should focus our efforts elsewhere.

Of course, we'll gladly honor an offer whenever a candidate decides Wake is the right school for them as long as space and scholarship funds remain available. Some years there is space/scholarship available throughout the summer. Other years it will all be claimed by April 2.

Obviously, there are situations which might compel us to grant an extension but these individual circumstances are assessed as they arise. They do not include having not heard back from some of the schools a candidate applied to or not having had a chance to visit campus, especially where the candidate was admitted several months earlier.

We think all of our admitted students are great potential additions to our class and want to make you feel welcome and a part of the Wake Forest Law community. Unfortunately, it isn't in our best interest to have open deposit deadlines. We will rigorously monitor the deadlines and postmarks as it relates to our offers and scholarship budget. If you miss the deadline, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to honor your original offer.

Please let me know if there are any questions.

Warm regards,
Jay Shively
Wake Forest Law

Thanks Jay

frogcandi26

Postby frogcandi26 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:38 pm

Anyone hear anything via email and/or at the ASD about when we will hear back about the Rose and Hearn Scholarship? I forgot to ask.

Good luck to everyone! :D

Hornets6

Postby Hornets6 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:04 am

Trying decide between Wake and UNC…30k a year from wake and in state for UNC, any thoughts?

nickpapagiorgio

Postby nickpapagiorgio » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:20 am

Hornets6 wrote:Trying decide between Wake and UNC…30k a year from wake and in state for UNC, any thoughts?

A few quick thoughts:

Both schools have administrations get badmouthed for different reasons (and to different degrees) from what I hear, but you'll no doubt get more personalized attention from Wake Forest. That being said, Wake's career services office has been the target of much ire in the past - but apparently they've changed a lot of things.

The Carolina attitude applies to the law school - I haven't ever talked to anyone who's felt particularly welcomed. You should be happy to have the opportunity to attend their great school. Take it or leave it.

Carolina's alumni network is bigger and stronger. Most people in the NC legal establishment are Carolina grads.

Chapel Hill is infinitely more fun than Winston-Salem, but that may not be a good thing. The kids at Carolina will probably be cooler - but again, that may not be a good thing.

Wake has more money.

Carolina Law is way liberal. Like way. I haven't heard much about Wake Law, doubt it's conservative, but 100% confident it isn't crazy liberal like UNC.

Classes at Wake will be smaller I think, including 1L sections.

RonBurgundy

Postby RonBurgundy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:20 am

Hornets6 wrote:Trying decide between Wake and UNC…30k a year from wake and in state for UNC, any thoughts?

I have a similar conundrum I posted in the choosing law school board. No responses yet though. My gut tells me Wake but maybe UNC will be better for my job search/career. I think a lot of it is specific to your scenario. Maybe see both campuses if you haven't yet. Good luck deciding.

RonBurgundy

Postby RonBurgundy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:25 am

nickpapagiorgio wrote:

A few quick thoughts:

Both schools have administrations get badmouthed for different reasons (and to different degrees) from what I hear, but you'll no doubt get more personalized attention from Wake Forest. That being said, Wake's career services office has been the target of much ire in the past - but apparently they've changed a lot of things.

The Carolina attitude applies to the law school - I haven't ever talked to anyone who's felt particularly welcomed. You should be happy to have the opportunity to attend their great school. Take it or leave it.

Carolina's alumni network is bigger and stronger. Most people in the NC legal establishment are Carolina grads.

Chapel Hill is infinitely more fun than Winston-Salem, but that may not be a good thing. The kids at Carolina will probably be cooler - but again, that may not be a good thing.

Wake has more money.

Carolina Law is way liberal. Like way. I haven't heard much about Wake Law, doubt it's conservative, but 100% confident it isn't crazy liberal like UNC.

Classes at Wake are definitely smaller. And the classrooms at Wake don't look like gloomy dungeons either. If that matters to you. The sections are 4 of about 40 students but not sure how that compares to UNC.

sunnyd101

Postby sunnyd101 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:36 am

RonBurgundy wrote:
nickpapagiorgio wrote:

A few quick thoughts:

Wake has more money.

Classes at Wake are definitely smaller. And the classrooms at Wake don't look like gloomy dungeons either. If that matters to you. The sections are 4 of about 40 students but not sure how that compares to UNC.

I definitely liked the smaller class size at Wake and I really appreciated how engaged the students were in the class I sat in on. I think UNC will open up more employment opportunities both in and out of state.

nickpapagiorgio

Postby nickpapagiorgio » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:40 am

RonBurgundy wrote:Classes at Wake are definitely smaller. And the classrooms at Wake don't look like gloomy dungeons either. If that matters to you. The sections are 4 of about 40 students but not sure how that compares to UNC.

UNC's sections are about 80.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:34 am

nickpapagiorgio wrote:

A few quick thoughts:

Wake has more money.

Wake kids are cool bro.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”