Wake Forest c/o 2017 (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
amh

Re: Wake Forest c/o 2017 (2013-2014)

Postby amh » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:47 pm

couchpizza wrote:Wooooah, Wake made it rain some $ and I am seriously considering attending. If I choose to attend Wake I'd have to pay quite a minimal amount of of money but I was wondering if I could push it further by emailing them with attached offers from other schools. Any suggestions :?:

Did you just get your scholarship info today? If so, when were you accepted?

couchpizza

Postby couchpizza » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:16 pm

Dwaldrep wrote:
couchpizza wrote:Wooooah, Wake made it rain some $ and I am seriously considering attending. If I choose to attend Wake I'd have to pay quite a minimal amount of of money but I was wondering if I could push it further by emailing them with attached offers from other schools. Any suggestions :?:

Did you just get your scholarship info today? If so, when were you accepted?

Nah dude, I was part of that wave a week ago...whose scholly was sent to the spam folder. I was accepted late December.

WakeLawAdmDean

Postby WakeLawAdmDean » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:31 pm

Greetings TLSers~

Sorry I haven't been posting much. It seems folks have found posts from earlier cycles to answer questions and that is a good approach.

I'll try to answer some questions I've seen posted recently and to give you an update of where we are in the cycle.

If you been admitted but had no scholarship update, it might be helpful to your situation if you sent along copies of your other offers not just the amounts. Because stipulations and other considerations will be considered along with the other offers, it will save us all time if you just submit what you want to submit along with copies of the actual offers. In the interest of full disclosure even if you submit offers that appear to be better financial offers, your scholarship may not be enhanced. We spend a great deal of time and energy putting together a thorough scholarship model which works for a high percentage of our applicants. We ask for other offers you find more compelling because we recognize that there are going to be circumstances outside the norm requiring us to make adjustments to our formulaic offers.

I encourage all admitted students to come to campus for an open house, Feb 14, Feb 28 or March 21. It is really the best way to learn what we're all about. If those dates don't work, come for a visit on your own. If you attend an open house or schedule a visit during the regular school year when classes are in session and complete a form, we'll discount your first deposit by $300 to help defray travel and enrollment costs.

For all applicants admitted before mid-January we sent out scholarship notifications on January 24. For some unknown reason and despite no history of problems, some email services decided that email in particular should go into spam folders. So some candidates who were awarded scholarships are not aware of those awards. We sent notification of this problem yesterday as soon as it became clear that a problem may exist. Currently we are re-sending emails for those applicants who told us they never received the award email. Also paper copies of the award letters are being mailed today as planned to notify applicants of their awards. Please read the entire award email/letter carefully as it contains a number of important topics, including renewal criteria (good standing) and reconsideration request processing.

Please feel free to PM me on any topic of concern. I can either post here or respond privately. Of course, I am also available through my Wake Forest email and phone numbers listed below.

Warm regards,
Jay Shively
Wake Forest Law
shivelrj@wfu.edu
(336) 758-5705 office direct
(336) 608-2811 cell
http://www.law.wfu.edu
@jayshively

sunnydancer

Postby sunnydancer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:28 pm

Checking in, just submitted my interview (first two questions were good, second two were pretty rough). No technical difficulties or excuses, I just got nervous and choked,. I'm a pretty borderline candidate, so that probably doesn't bode well, but holding out hope for good news nonetheless! Congrats to everyone on their admissions and scholarship offers.

LyricsToLitigation

Postby LyricsToLitigation » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:36 pm

Hey Dean Shively! Thanks for checking in with us and for the updates on everything!

Yazzzay

Postby Yazzzay » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:46 pm

Quick (perhaps dumb) question:

If I already emailed Wake regarding my other scholarship offers, would it be bad taste to update them about more offers in about a week? I just got two more in the past day and am so mad I already emailed...

Honestly right now Wake is my top choice, but I can only go if I get a good enough scholarship...and the ones I notified them about are ranked lower, now I would like to show them some higher up offers. Thoughts? Is it really rude/will be frowned upon to email about money twice?

zippernicus

Postby zippernicus » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:47 pm

Thanks Dean Shively!

zippernicus

Postby zippernicus » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:48 pm

cactusflower wrote:Anyone get accepted without going into "Committee Review?"

Just wondering...

this!!

wondering the same thing.... i asked before but didn't ever get any feedback?

AT9

Postby AT9 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:10 pm

Anyone else pretty set on WF? I'm leaning probably 50% Wake, 30% Vandy (probably won't get enough $), and 20% Emory/WashU.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:37 pm

AT9 wrote:Anyone else pretty set on WF? I'm leaning probably 50% Wake, 30% Vandy (probably won't get enough $), and 20% Emory/WashU.

Don't think I would go WF over Vandy, Emory or WUSTL, but to each his own. At the end of the day $50-100k is a lot of money but in the grand scheme of things it isn't THAT much money.

Great job on your cycle though! Don't think you can necessarily go wrong at any of the four, but the big law/ fed clerkship chances are definitely better at the other three.

EDIT: Tossed in Emory also after double-checking LST.

lsatnoob

Postby lsatnoob » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:49 pm

Last edited by lsatnoob on Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:51 pm

Nucky wrote:
AT9 wrote:Anyone else pretty set on WF? I'm leaning probably 50% Wake, 30% Vandy (probably won't get enough $), and 20% Emory/WashU.

Don't think I would go WF over Vandy, Emory or WUSTL, but to each his own. At the end of the day $50-100k is a lot of money but in the grand scheme of things it isn't THAT much money.

Great job on your cycle though! Don't think you can necessarily go wrong at any of the four, but the big law/ fed clerkship chances are definitely better at the other three.

Cost aside, I would go with the other three over WF because of the reasons you mentioned. However, I'm looking at $10K-$20K total for Wake vs. $100K for WUSTL and probably the same or more for Vandy/Emory. If I knew I'd end up with a high-paying job from Vandy et al., sure, I'd take on the extra debt. But I don't know if the increase in employment prospects is worth the risk and uncertainty. Guess I'll have to wait on Vandy $ and Emory, and to see what I can negotiate. But Wake for debt I could pay off in a year is awfully tempting in that it offers a lot of freedom in the type of employment I can pursue.

ayl

Postby ayl » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:37 am

My heart is set, but my wallet isn't. Though, to be fair, I'm not sure my wallet will ever be ready for law school. Fingers crossed for good results from the ASD next week and future negotiations!

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:48 am

AT9 wrote:
Nucky wrote:

Cost aside, I would go with the other three over WF because of the reasons you mentioned. However, I'm looking at $10K-$20K total for Wake vs. $100K for WUSTL and probably the same or more for Vandy/Emory. If I knew I'd end up with a high-paying job from Vandy et al., sure, I'd take on the extra debt. But I don't know if the increase in employment prospects is worth the risk and uncertainty. Guess I'll have to wait on Vandy $ and Emory, and to see what I can negotiate. But Wake for debt I could pay off in a year is awfully tempting in that it offers a lot of freedom in the type of employment I can pursue.

Don't doubt yourself bro, if you're intelligent enough to get in, especially with $$$, you're intelligent enough to graduate above median. Personally, I love the idea of attending Wake. Small class size, low COL, etc. But, at least for me, a 19% chance at big law/fed clerkship(WF) versus a 39% chance(Vandy) would be worth the extra money.

Hopefully Vandy and Emory offer you lots of money also though, and make the decision easy for you. If not, you could always try to negotiate.

Please don't take this as me slamming Wake, I am not by any means and it may very well be where I end up in the Fall. But putting yourself in a position to maximize employment outcomes is the name of the game.

Anyway, good luck! Again, you have four great options. You'll likely be fine no matter where you end up.

WakeLawAdmDean

Postby WakeLawAdmDean » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:25 am

Yazzzay wrote:Quick (perhaps dumb) question:

If I already emailed Wake regarding my other scholarship offers, would it be bad taste to update them about more offers in about a week? I just got two more in the past day and am so mad I already emailed...

Honestly right now Wake is my top choice, but I can only go if I get a good enough scholarship...and the ones I notified them about are ranked lower, now I would like to show them some higher up offers. Thoughts? Is it really rude/will be frowned upon to email about money twice?

Of course, we invite you to submit whatever offers you believe relevant to the scholarship consideration or reconsideration process. However, for most applicants you'll get one bite at the apple regarding reconsideration. We encourage students asking for reconsideration to wait until all of their relevant and likely offers have been received before contacting us. I am loathe to go back and reconsider an offer that's already been reconsidered. I've posted about scholarship reconsideration in earlier cycles and while our overall willingness to negotiate is probably greater than in years past the rules haven't changed. I am sure you can search for my old posts and don't need me to rehash it here.

We see this as your making a worthwhile investment in your future. You do have an obligation to yourself to explore all options and to advocate for the best value you can find in a quality education. That being said we're not used car salesmen and this isn't a fire sale. Present your case. We'll thoughtfully consider what you've submitted and make adjustments we feel make sense for us and for you. I will say that I can't compensate you for rank or location (see earlier posts). In some cases we can try to make our overall cost of attendance similar to schools we consider to be peer institutions. That is our goal.

Please PM me or email if this post raises more questions than it answers.

Jay Shively
Wake Forest Law
shivelrj@wfu.edu
(336) 758-5705 direct
(336) 608-2811 cell
@jayshively

Yazzzay

Postby Yazzzay » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:06 pm

WakeLawAdmDean wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:Quick (perhaps dumb) question:

Of course, we invite you to submit whatever offers you believe relevant to the scholarship consideration or reconsideration process. However, for most applicants you'll get one bite at the apple regarding reconsideration. We encourage students asking for reconsideration to wait until all of their relevant and likely offers have been received before contacting us. I am loathe to go back and reconsider an offer that's already been reconsidered. I've posted about scholarship reconsideration in earlier cycles and while our overall willingness to negotiate is probably greater than in years past the rules haven't changed. I am sure you can search for my old posts and don't need me to rehash it here.

We see this as your making a worthwhile investment in your future. You do have an obligation to yourself to explore all options and to advocate for the best value you can find in a quality education. That being said we're not used car salesmen and this isn't a fire sale. Present your case. We'll thoughtfully consider what you've submitted and make adjustments we feel make sense for us and for you. I will say that I can't compensate you for rank or location (see earlier posts). In some cases we can try to make our overall cost of attendance similar to schools we consider to be peer institutions. That is our goal.

Please PM me or email if this post raises more questions than it answers.

Jay Shively
Wake Forest Law
shivelrj@wfu.edu
(336) 758-5705 direct
(336) 608-2811 cell
@jayshively

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. As of now I am still waiting on hearing back about any scholarship at all (was admitted last week), and was just curious of the protocol on continuing to update Wake Forest on other scholarship offers (as per the admittance email request) before I get an offer. I look forward to hearing back and working from there!

AT9

Postby AT9 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:11 pm

Nucky wrote:
AT9 wrote:
Nucky wrote:

Don't doubt yourself bro, if you're intelligent enough to get in, especially with $$$, you're intelligent enough to graduate above median. Personally, I love the idea of attending Wake. Small class size, low COL, etc. But, at least for me, a 19% chance at big law/fed clerkship(WF) versus a 39% chance(Vandy) would be worth the extra money.

Hopefully Vandy and Emory offer you lots of money also though, and make the decision easy for you. If not, you could always try to negotiate.

Please don't take this as me slamming Wake, I am not by any means and it may very well be where I end up in the Fall. But putting yourself in a position to maximize employment outcomes is the name of the game.

Anyway, good luck! Again, you have four great options. You'll likely be fine no matter where you end up.

Thanks for the encouragement and input! There is a large gap in the employment outcomes between Wake and Vandy, but the gap between the percentage of grads getting jobs with 50+ attorneys/fed clerkships between Wake and WUSTL/Emory isn't all that big (5-10%). Choosing between my top 2-4 options will be like choosing a puppy...how do you decide between several great options?

Also, to Dean Shively: thanks again for taking the time to post updates here. Your individual responses and candid answers provide all the more reason to attend Wake.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:17 pm

AT9 wrote:Thanks for the encouragement and input! There is a large gap in the employment outcomes between Wake and Vandy, but the gap between the percentage of grads getting jobs with 50+ attorneys/fed clerkships between Wake and WUSTL/Emory isn't all that big (5-10%). Choosing between my top 2-4 options will be like choosing a puppy...how do you decide between several great options?

Also, to Dean Shively: thanks again for taking the time to post updates here. Your individual responses and candid answers provide all the more reason to attend Wake.

The puppy analogy is a good one! :lol: Good luck again man, hope to see you in the Fall.

Thank you for stopping by from me as well, Dean Shively. We're all clearly appreciative of your taking the time to clarify things for us and further exemplifying why Wake is a first-class institution.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:16 pm

This might be a dumb question, but I don't understand something about ASW/seat deposits/travel stipends. As I understand it, seat deposits are applied to your tuition, so you aren't actually paying extra money, you are just paying earlier. Is it just me, or is it not really helpful for the deposit to be lowered as an offset for traveling expenses for ASW? We are just paying the extra 300 dollars in August instead of April. It's definitely nice to not have to come up with an extra 300 bucks in April, but Wake isn't actually giving a stipend like other schools.

hardytj

Postby hardytj » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:27 pm

Did anybody receive an acceptance today?

cactusflower

Postby cactusflower » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:10 pm

hardytj wrote:Did anybody receive an acceptance today?

copperboom22

Postby copperboom22 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:03 pm

Just got in via status checker!! It says Admitted with scholarship and that the scholarship details were mailed hard copy to my house yesterday :) :) :) No email or anything - I was hoping to hear today and have been checking my email constantly and had kind of resigned myself to waiting until next week to hear but so glad I don't have to!

Kanye West

Postby Kanye West » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:16 pm

copperboom22 wrote:Just got in via status checker!! It says Admitted with scholarship and that the scholarship details were mailed hard copy to my house yesterday :) :) :) No email or anything - I was hoping to hear today and have been checking my email constantly and had kind of resigned myself to waiting until next week to hear but so glad I don't have to!

Ditto. Congrats to us all. *pops da Cristal*

copperboom22

Postby copperboom22 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:19 pm

Kanye West wrote:
copperboom22 wrote:Just got in via status checker!! It says Admitted with scholarship and that the scholarship details were mailed hard copy to my house yesterday :) :) :) No email or anything - I was hoping to hear today and have been checking my email constantly and had kind of resigned myself to waiting until next week to hear but so glad I don't have to!

Ditto. Congrats to us all. *pops da Cristal*

Congrats!

cfcnvm

Postby cfcnvm » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:25 pm

I'm also in via status checker!! It says admitted with scholarship but it does not say the amount.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”