Wake Forest c/o 2017 (2013-2014) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Yazzzay

Bronze

Re: Wake Forest c/o 2017 (2013-2014)

Post by Yazzzay » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:29 am

AT9 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:So the deposit deadlines are creeping up way too fast and I've delayed the decision until last min. Of course.

I love many aspects of Wake and have since applying (and getting rejected) last year. The rent around W-S seems super cheap (compared to my other options), their international law programme is intriguing, and the rankings are up (albeit they obvs aren't everything).

The main thing holding me back is the location. W-S sounds quaint and cute, but small towns aren't my fave. Of course a lack of distractions could be great for studying. More importantly, however, I have no interest in staying in NC after I graduate. Everyone goes in with the mentality they want to be in the top whatever percent and get the best job possible wherever they want, so I'm trying to be realistic. Do you guys think Wake be a total mistake if I'm not interested in NC?
I don't know it would be a TOTAL mistake, but I would be very hesitant if you don't have strong connections in the region in which you want to work. Look at these numbers:

http://career.law.wfu.edu/stats/class-of-2012/

53% of grads in 2012 ended up in NC after graduation. You may do well and have great opportunities wherever you want to work; however, I would at least be ok with working small-law in the immediate region before going to there.

What are your other options and where do you want to work?
Thanks for the response & link. Looked over it & seems like Wake kids stay in NC, clearly. Well the other options I haven't eliminated are much lower ranked...Seton Hall, Penn State, Maryland (no $) and Pepperdine. Have half $ or up for those including WF. I honestly have 0 ties anywhere that isn't abroad, and would want to stay in a big city, DC, Boston, NYC, Atlanta, LA (or abroad). On the wait list for Fordham and Emory of which I would love both...

I haven't even visited WF yet but will in early May. I don't mind sending out a couple of deposits so I think I will for WF. Also retaking isn't an option, already hit the limit.

Who knew choosing a law school would be more stressful than applying...

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:26 am

Yazzzay wrote:
AT9 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:So the deposit deadlines are creeping up way too fast and I've delayed the decision until last min. Of course.

I love many aspects of Wake and have since applying (and getting rejected) last year. The rent around W-S seems super cheap (compared to my other options), their international law programme is intriguing, and the rankings are up (albeit they obvs aren't everything).

The main thing holding me back is the location. W-S sounds quaint and cute, but small towns aren't my fave. Of course a lack of distractions could be great for studying. More importantly, however, I have no interest in staying in NC after I graduate. Everyone goes in with the mentality they want to be in the top whatever percent and get the best job possible wherever they want, so I'm trying to be realistic. Do you guys think Wake be a total mistake if I'm not interested in NC?
I don't know it would be a TOTAL mistake, but I would be very hesitant if you don't have strong connections in the region in which you want to work. Look at these numbers:

53% of grads in 2012 ended up in NC after graduation. You may do well and have great opportunities wherever you want to work; however, I would at least be ok with working small-law in the immediate region before going to there.

Thanks for the response & link. Looked over it & seems like Wake kids stay in NC, clearly. Well the other options I haven't eliminated are much lower ranked...Seton Hall, Penn State, Maryland (no $) and Pepperdine. Have half $ or up for those including WF. I honestly have 0 ties anywhere that isn't abroad, and would want to stay in a big city, DC, Boston, NYC, Atlanta, LA (or abroad). On the wait list for Fordham and Emory of which I would love both...

I haven't even visited WF yet but will in early May. I don't mind sending out a couple of deposits so I think I will for WF. Also retaking isn't an option, already hit the limit.

If you look at the data closely, yes most WF grads stay and practice in NC. However, when I went to ASD I got the impression from a lot of students, especially 3Ls, that the Wake name carries a significant amount of weight in other areas. Just look at the data again. Although Wake grads seem to be spread out if they aren't staying in NC, a lot do travel to other states. At ASD I met 3Ls who had jobs lined up in Tampa, DC, NYC, Virginia, Atlanta, among those who wanted to stay and practice in WS, Charlotte, and Raleigh.

shaynislegend

Bronze

Post by shaynislegend » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:01 am

RE: Job placement outside of NC

You can look up stats about where Wake places people but you need to understand that those stats won't tell you a whole lot. For instance, it isn't very telling if every single person wanted to work in NC but only 53% did, or maybe no one wanted to stay in NC but 53% did. Data won't show someones desire to work in a certain location, but what you can do is look where the students are coming from. That way you see where the ties are and look at the percentage of students who came from out of state, or a particular state, and compare that to placement out of state or in a particular state. It won't be spot on but it helps get rid of some of the noise in the data.

Also you should visit campus, you will be here for at least 3 years and will create ties in the city you go to school in. You may want to make sure this is an area you want to build ties in.

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:30 am

Yazzzay wrote:
AT9 wrote:

If living in one of those big cities you mentioned trumps other priorities, then I think Seton Hall may not be the worst idea. You'd at least have a good shot of landing a job in the NYC metro, even if it's not in Manhattan. However, I think Wake is a better school than those you mentioned, so I'd visit and see what you think. It's definitely an agonizing decision.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:35 pm

cricketlove00 wrote: If you look at the data closely, yes most WF grads stay and practice in NC. However, when I went to ASD I got the impression from a lot of students, especially 3Ls, that the Wake name carries a significant amount of weight in other areas. Just look at the data again. Although Wake grads seem to be spread out if they aren't staying in NC, a lot do travel to other states. At ASD I met 3Ls who had jobs lined up in Tampa, DC, NYC, Virginia, Atlanta, among those who wanted to stay and practice in WS, Charlotte, and Raleigh.
That's what I've heard and that's good to hear. Wish I could have attended an ASD!
AT9 wrote: If living in one of those big cities you mentioned trumps other priorities, then I think Seton Hall may not be the worst idea. You'd at least have a good shot of landing a job in the NYC metro, even if it's not in Manhattan. However, I think Wake is a better school than those you mentioned, so I'd visit and see what you think. It's definitely an agonizing decision.
I know Seton Hall may not be the worst but I don't think it is comparable with Wake Forest...SH's employment ranking is near WF but I don't know if being closer to where I want to live is worth being one of the lowest ranked schools in the area...versus far away at a better school. We shall seeee.
shaynislegend wrote: RE: Job placement outside of NC

You can look up stats about where Wake places people but you need to understand that those stats won't tell you a whole lot. For instance, it isn't very telling if every single person wanted to work in NC but only 53% did, or maybe no one wanted to stay in NC but 53% did. Data won't show someones desire to work in a certain location, but what you can do is look where the students are coming from. That way you see where the ties are and look at the percentage of students who came from out of state, or a particular state, and compare that to placement out of state or in a particular state. It won't be spot on but it helps get rid of some of the noise in the data.

Also you should visit campus, you will be here for at least 3 years and will create ties in the city you go to school in. You may want to make sure this is an area you want to build ties in.
Exactly. I guess 50% staying in NC isn't too bad, I'm guessing all the other states listed that have 1-5 people may be those returning home. Def visiting but can't until May. I'm sure when I visit as soon as I get to campus I'll know if it's right. Just gotta get there!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:37 pm

Yazzzay wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:
If you look at the data closely, yes most WF grads stay and practice in NC. However, when I went to ASD I got the impression from a lot of students, especially 3Ls, that the Wake name carries a significant amount of weight in other areas. Just look at the data again. Although Wake grads seem to be spread out if they aren't staying in NC, a lot do travel to other states. At ASD I met 3Ls who had jobs lined up in Tampa, DC, NYC, Virginia, Atlanta, among those who wanted to stay and practice in WS, Charlotte, and Raleigh.
That's what I've heard and that's good to hear. Wish I could have attended an ASD!
AT9 wrote:
If living in one of those big cities you mentioned trumps other priorities, then I think Seton Hall may not be the worst idea. You'd at least have a good shot of landing a job in the NYC metro, even if it's not in Manhattan. However, I think Wake is a better school than those you mentioned, so I'd visit and see what you think. It's definitely an agonizing decision.
I know Seton Hall may not be the worst but I don't think it is comparable with Wake Forest...SH's employment ranking is near WF but I don't know if being closer to where I want to live is worth being one of the lowest ranked schools in the area...versus far away at a better school. We shall seeee.
shaynislegend wrote:
RE: Job placement outside of NC

Exactly. I guess 50% staying in NC isn't too bad, I'm guessing all the other states listed that have 1-5 people may be those returning home. Def visiting but can't until May. I'm sure when I visit as soon as I get to campus I'll know if it's right. Just gotta get there!
To be honest, I really come from the idea that things fall into place by themselves. Yes, I constantly look at the rankings and LST, but at the same time I would take a school in which I loved and felt comfortable in arguably over a school that may have a little better return, but I would hate. Wake just seems like a natural choice for my needs. Sounds like you just need to visit and feel it out. Sometimes removing yourself from all the statistics is helpful.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:54 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:
To be honest, I really come from the idea that things fall into place by themselves. Yes, I constantly look at the rankings and LST, but at the same time I would take a school in which I loved and felt comfortable in arguably over a school that may have a little better return, but I would hate. Wake just seems like a natural choice for my needs. Sounds like you just need to visit and feel it out. Sometimes removing yourself from all the statistics is helpful.
I know. LSN has been a permanent tab for months now. But if I'm going over happiness over maximum potential job opportunities/$ then i would choose San Diego, Pepperdine, or Miami. But sadly I think the latter triumphs :/ so hopefully my confusion over WF will be fixed by a visit!

shaynislegend

Bronze

Post by shaynislegend » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:14 pm

Have any in-staters heard back about the Smith/Shaver scholarship?

legalbeagle84

New

Post by legalbeagle84 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:30 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:Ok since when did the yellow and pink rangers switch??????
Those are not the original power rangers...that was a later cast

I think someone said something about racism...I am sure that is why in later seasons any Asian characters were not in yellow and any Black characters were not in black as they both were in the original show.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Finnick

New

Post by Finnick » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Is it normal to see admissions deposit, tuition deposit, and scholarship award (all 0's) on my tracker, since I'm on the waitlist?

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:54 am

I know I brought this up several times. Don't get mad at me for asking, but do you guys really think it's worth it to pay 25-30k more (for all three years combined) to stay in a region that I am familiar with? I got a full ride to UIUC. I am from Maryland. I am having a hard time making up my mind. I paid the deposit at Wake. Now I am debating whether to pay the deposit at UIUC. I visited UIUC and I liked it a lot. However, I went to Chicago and I really did not like it. I don't like sprawling metropolises. Big cities just drain all my energy. I can't imagine working in an environment like NYC or Chicago (although parts of Chicago are really nice). So my question is, would you pay more to go to Wake just because of the region? Also I really think that UIUC is going to go back up in the rankings. I think in 6-10 years it will be in the 20s again (it went up this year which is a good sign and it's employment numbers are better than all the schools around it's rank). I know it doesn't matter that much. But a ranking like that, combined with their employment #s, and the fact that I have a full ride, is just hard to say no to.... am I over thinking this? Should I just be like, I want to be in this region, Wake is a good school, I got a good scholarship, done.

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:21 pm

Yanky91 wrote:I know I brought this up several times. Don't get mad at me for asking, but do you guys really think it's worth it to pay 25-30k more (for all three years combined) to stay in a region that I am familiar with? I got a full ride to UIUC. I am from Maryland. I am having a hard time making up my mind. I paid the deposit at Wake. Now I am debating whether to pay the deposit at UIUC. I visited UIUC and I liked it a lot. However, I went to Chicago and I really did not like it. I don't like sprawling metropolises. Big cities just drain all my energy. I can't imagine working in an environment like NYC or Chicago (although parts of Chicago are really nice). So my question is, would you pay more to go to Wake just because of the region? Also I really think that UIUC is going to go back up in the rankings. I think in 6-10 years it will be in the 20s again (it went up this year which is a good sign and it's employment numbers are better than all the schools around it's rank). I know it doesn't matter that much. But a ranking like that, combined with their employment #s, and the fact that I have a full ride, is just hard to say no to.... am I over thinking this? Should I just be like, I want to be in this region, Wake is a good school, I got a good scholarship, done.
This is a tough one. Have you tried negotiating with Wake? Maybe they will offer more money after the April 1 deadline.

amohiuddin

New

Post by amohiuddin » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:26 pm

since deposit deadline is this week, and i am on the waitlist. do you guys think they will send out calls to those on the waitlist a week after the deposit deadline??

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:36 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:
Yanky91 wrote:I know I brought this up several times. Don't get mad at me for asking, but do you guys really think it's worth it to pay 25-30k more (for all three years combined) to stay in a region that I am familiar with? I got a full ride to UIUC. I am from Maryland. I am having a hard time making up my mind. I paid the deposit at Wake. Now I am debating whether to pay the deposit at UIUC. I visited UIUC and I liked it a lot. However, I went to Chicago and I really did not like it. I don't like sprawling metropolises. Big cities just drain all my energy. I can't imagine working in an environment like NYC or Chicago (although parts of Chicago are really nice). So my question is, would you pay more to go to Wake just because of the region? Also I really think that UIUC is going to go back up in the rankings. I think in 6-10 years it will be in the 20s again (it went up this year which is a good sign and it's employment numbers are better than all the schools around it's rank). I know it doesn't matter that much. But a ranking like that, combined with their employment #s, and the fact that I have a full ride, is just hard to say no to.... am I over thinking this? Should I just be like, I want to be in this region, Wake is a good school, I got a good scholarship, done.
This is a tough one. Have you tried negotiating with Wake? Maybe they will offer more money after the April 1 deadline.
I tried and I was told UIUC's offer is not enough for them to raise my scholarship. But that was before it went up in the rankings this year. Should I try again after the deadline?

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:56 pm

Yanky91 wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:
I tried and I was told UIUC's offer is not enough for them to raise my scholarship. But that was before it went up in the rankings this year. Should I try again after the deadline?
Not sure. Are you going to be taking out loans for the remainder of your tuition and col?

Eaturgreenz

New

Post by Eaturgreenz » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:02 pm

Honestly, I would wait until after the April 1st deadline to attempt to renegotiate scholarships. At that point, they may have some money freeing up from students who had offers and didn't send in deposits. Did you clarify that Wake is your number one school and that money is your only real roadblock? The dean (of admissions) at Wake is outstanding and should be able to work with you.

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:23 pm

Yanky91 wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:
What is the total COA at both again? Let's compare some employment stats. Because I consider the standard biglaw + fed clerkship numbers to be a little limiting, especially when comparing regional schools, I like to look at employment with firms of 26+ attorneys. They pay pretty well compared to firms under that amount - like around $70/80K as opposed to $50K from what I've seen. I'll consider 26+ firm jobs with fed clerkships to tbe the "quality job" %.

Illinois
Long-term, full-time legal work (minus-school funded): 58.2%
Underemployment: 24.4%
Unemployment: 18.8%
Quality Job Score: 30.1%
Biglaw: 22.1%

Wake Forest
Long-term, full-time legal work (minus-school funded): 67.9%
Underemployment: 21.2%
Unemployment: 13.5%
Quality Job Score: 31.3%
Biglaw: 14.7%

*Class of 2012

The only category in which Illinois beats Wake is in biglaw placement. Since you don't want to work in Chicago or NYC (possibly St. Louis?), where I assume most UIUC biglaw jobs are located, this seems like a factor you should ignore when looking at UIUC. Granted, this is only 1 year, but Wake performs better in every other category. If you'd rather live in NC or the Mid-Atlantic, I'd pay the extra 25-30K. The money won't mean much if you're living someplace you don't like.

Edit: You also seem a little too concerned about the school rankings, which tells me that prestige is maybe a factor in your decision. Illinois and Wake Forest both have good names in their regions, and I'd argue that Wake Forest probably has a little more lay prestige than Illinois if you're considering undergrad and everything else (if nothing else because it's a private vs. public school perception).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jsalmons1127

New

Post by jsalmons1127 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:43 am

shaynislegend wrote:Have any in-staters heard back about the Smith/Shaver scholarship?
I got an email saying:

"You have been selected as a finalist for the Smith/Shaver Scholarship. The scholarship committee is pleased with the outstanding participation for the award, but it has made the selection process extremely difficult. The committee is reviewing all finalist applications and will make a decision next week. You will be notified when the recipient is selected."

Does anyone know how many finalist they select? Is there only one winner?

shaynislegend

Bronze

Post by shaynislegend » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:31 pm

jsalmons1127 wrote:
shaynislegend wrote:Have any in-staters heard back about the Smith/Shaver scholarship?
Does anyone know how many finalist they select? Is there only one winner?
Congrats! I believe 2-4 candidates are selected and then the donor chooses how to divide that money up. They can give 1 person 100% or divide it up however they would like.

Jesseye

New

Post by Jesseye » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:13 pm

Completed interview early January, been in review again since early February. Being as the deposit deadline is tomorrow...gonna go ahead and assume a ding/WL from Wake. Pretty bummed I haven't heard anything back at all from them when it seems like everyone on here who interviewed in my time frame got accepted/WL/ding'd within a month or so.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:10 am

Hey are we supposed to get any sort of email acknowledgement or something that our deposit payment went through online? Submitted it yday and nothing yet...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:52 am

Yazzzay wrote:Hey are we supposed to get any sort of email acknowledgement or something that our deposit payment went through online? Submitted it yday and nothing yet...
Yes you'll get one. Mine took about a day after I sent the money.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:39 am

cricketlove00 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:Hey are we supposed to get any sort of email acknowledgement or something that our deposit payment went through online? Submitted it yday and nothing yet...
Yes you'll get one. Mine took about a day after I sent the money.
Ok cool thanks!

lsatnoob

New

Post by lsatnoob » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:16 am

Withdrawing with $75,000...difficult decision but I think unc is the better fit for me.
Good luck to everyone still waiting!

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:20 am

lsatnoob wrote:Withdrawing with $75,000...difficult decision but I think unc is the better fit for me.
Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Thanks for putting money back in the pot.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”