Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dempsey6

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby dempsey6 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:56 pm

Do we have any knowledge on interview success rate (in terms of admission of course lol)?

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:56 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
fivestarfolds wrote:I think that choosing not to interview is a death sentence. They have a thousand other qualified candidates who they can call upon and simply avoid your non-committal shenanigans.

Chicago is not like Georgetown. They interview every qualified candidate they can get their hands on. I remember very very few people who were admitted last year without an interview (less than 10).

:shock:

Welp.

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:58 pm

phillywc wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
fivestarfolds wrote:I think that choosing not to interview is a death sentence. They have a thousand other qualified candidates who they can call upon and simply avoid your non-committal shenanigans.

Chicago is not like Georgetown. They interview every qualified candidate they can get their hands on. I remember very very few people who were admitted last year without an interview (less than 10).

Welp.

one of these days when I'm not working until 2am on my homework, I'll figure out how many non-interviewers got in.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:08 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:

:shock: :shock:

There goes our special snowflake theory lol

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:16 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:
IrishJew wrote:I'm not seriously considering skipping the interview, but I am a little confused about it's optional nature. The e-mail certainly sounds like if you don't interview they will jsut read your application without the interview. That sounds a little weird to me. Anyone know what that's about? I mean, Harvard interviews everyone but presumably Chicago interviews you because you're somewhat borderline, right? (People do get into UChicago without interviews, yes?) So what's the deal?

They will just interview your file as is. Unless there was a legitimate reason you couldn't schedule an interview (I've heard serving in the military overseas being an example), I'd imagine your file would be viewed more negatively than it was before. If they asked for an interview and you were borderline, that would seem to make up their minds not to accept you. If you had great numbers, that might indicate a lack of interest and it would make sense to YP you.

This is all just speculation, but I think they include that option so people that genuinely can't schedule an interview for some reason do not freak out.

I think that choosing not to interview is a death sentence. They have a thousand other qualified candidates who they can call upon and simply avoid your non-committal shenanigans.

I didn't realize that so few got in without interviews, but I was agreeing about it being almost mandatory for an acceptance if offered.

jdapplicant

Postby jdapplicant » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:24 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:

:shock: :shock:

There goes our special snowflake theory lol

@LS22 @Monkeys Did either of you include anything about "why Chicago" in your PS? Or anywhere else in your applications? My hope is that (1) pastsnowflakes generally had a strong case for why Chicago included in their app, which did not have to be confirmed through an interview or (2) fingers crossed that the "less than 10" was concluded out of an pretty unrepresentative sample (only TLSers or only LSN) and not a more complete data set.

I'm not doubting your statement at all FiveStar, its just the if that stat holds, I have almost no chance of being a snowflake (complete in Oct and still no interview), even with LSAT>50, GPA around median, and strong softs :cry:. It's the first time I've seen that stat.

IrishJew

Postby IrishJew » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:27 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:
IrishJew wrote:I'm not seriously considering skipping the interview, but I am a little confused about it's optional nature. The e-mail certainly sounds like if you don't interview they will jsut read your application without the interview. That sounds a little weird to me. Anyone know what that's about? I mean, Harvard interviews everyone but presumably Chicago interviews you because you're somewhat borderline, right? (People do get into UChicago without interviews, yes?) So what's the deal?

They will just interview your file as is. Unless there was a legitimate reason you couldn't schedule an interview (I've heard serving in the military overseas being an example), I'd imagine your file would be viewed more negatively than it was before. If they asked for an interview and you were borderline, that would seem to make up their minds not to accept you. If you had great numbers, that might indicate a lack of interest and it would make sense to YP you.

This is all just speculation, but I think they include that option so people that genuinely can't schedule an interview for some reason do not freak out.

I think that choosing not to interview is a death sentence. They have a thousand other qualified candidates who they can call upon and simply avoid your non-committal shenanigans.

Fivestarfolds, that's super clear and just what I was asking (and don't tell me if you're basing this in idle speculation and anecdote: I like your confident authoritativeness! Haha). I did not realize that they interview pretty much everyone they are going to accept. Either way the language of the e-mail just seems strange because it makes the interview sound optional on my end while no employer interview (for example) says that: "we'd like you to interview for our company, but if you choose not to interview we might just hire you anyway because we like your resume."

And please note to all: I was not thinking even more a moment of skipping the interview. I signed up the minute I saw the e-mail. I am stupid but not that stupid. (Obviously I'm talking about people who don't have a darn good extenuating circumstance.)

barrelofmonkeys

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:28 pm

jdapplicant wrote: @LS22 @Monkeys Did either of you include anything about "why Chicago" in your PS? Or anywhere else in your applications?

Nothing remotely 'why chicago' because chicago.

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:39 pm

IrishJew wrote:
fivestarfolds wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:

Fivestarfolds, that's super clear and just what I was asking (and don't tell me if you're basing this in idle speculation and anecdote: I like your confident authoritativeness! Haha). I did not realize that they interview pretty much everyone they are going to accept. Either way the language of the e-mail just seems strange because it makes the interview sound optional on my end while no employer interview (for example) says that: "we'd like you to interview for our company, but if you choose not to interview we might just hire you anyway because we like your resume."

And please note to all: I was not thinking even more a moment of skipping the interview. I signed up the minute I saw the e-mail. I am stupid but not that stupid. (Obviously I'm talking about people who don't have a darn good extenuating circumstance.)

If it weren't a Tuesday (my day from hell) I'd back up my statement with some facts from last years TLS. I'm also only talking about TLS data. When I get a chance, I'll look through. But based on my memory, there were very few who managed to get in without an interview and it happened only later in the cycle. There's no doubt that I could be easily proved wrong. But it also seems that uchicago started interviewing slightly earlier this year so it's more likely that they have a solid pool of interviewees as they enter the decisions season.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:44 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
jdapplicant wrote: @LS22 @Monkeys Did either of you include anything about "why Chicago" in your PS? Or anywhere else in your applications?

Yeah no Why Chicago at all. I thought it was pretty clear to them why people want to go there. Also this:

May I submit a diversity statement or additional essays?
We do not ask for a diversity statement or any additional essays. Your personal statement is certainly an appropriate place for you discuss any particular aspects of your background (e.g., racial, ethnic, or religious identification, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation) that you think are relevant to your application. If you find that you absolutely cannot convey the necessary information in your personal statement, you may submit an addendum. Remember that the Committee is looking for you to demonstrate skills that you will need in law school - we want to see that you can communicate your message in a clear, concise, and organized manner. Often, too many additional or supplemental materials or addenda will detract from that clear and concise message.

ysjchang

Postby ysjchang » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:49 pm

dempsey6 wrote:Do we have any knowledge on interview success rate (in terms of admission of course lol)?

This might answer your question:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv? ... ldWc#gid=0

omzster67

Postby omzster67 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:54 pm

ysjchang wrote:
dempsey6 wrote:Do we have any knowledge on interview success rate (in terms of admission of course lol)?

Well...that's impressive in so many different ways. The data compiled by some TLSers is unbelievable. This should give us all hope...but at the same time I can't imagine everyone WL'd or dinged would submit all their data

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:56 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:

As in it's a great school, or as in a city you don't want to be in? I think I misread it the first time.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:59 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:

As in it's a great school, or as in a city you don't want to be in? I think I misread it the first time.

I'm going out on a limb, but I think because it's tied for the 4th-ranked law school in the country. I don't know that they expect you to tell them why you want to be there.

barrelofmonkeys

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:04 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:

I'm going out on a limb, but I think because it's tied for the 4th-ranked law school in the country. I don't know that they expect you to tell them why you want to be there.

ya, c'mon SP. get with it. chicago is great, city and school
:(

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:06 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:I'm going out on a limb, but I think because it's tied for the 4th-ranked law school in the country. I don't know that they expect you to tell them why you want to be there.

Other than dat polar vortex.

rutgers17

Postby rutgers17 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:07 pm

ysjchang wrote:

wow, this is really helpful. thanks for posting! :D also makes me feel a bit better about my chances!

db1990

Postby db1990 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:07 pm

Call from an Illinois number :shock: :shock: :shock:

Business-related :cry:

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:09 pm

koalacity wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:I'm going out on a limb, but I think because it's tied for the 4th-ranked law school in the country. I don't know that they expect you to tell them why you want to be there.

Other than dat polar vortex.

That's the one big thing Chicago has against it, the weather. Otherwise it is a fabulous city.

EEguy5

Postby EEguy5 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:11 pm

Checking in, got the interview request. Curious how Chicago students feel about the Hyde Park area? I've visited the city many times but all my friends live in the Lincoln Park/Lake View areas. Is there any good thread discussing this?

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:29 pm

rutgers17 wrote:
ysjchang wrote:

wow, this is really helpful. thanks for posting! :D also makes me feel a bit better about my chances!

I noticed from this spreadsheet that the only December-submit applicant who got an interview on it was a 166/3.2 "son of famous politician" (also, :shock: to that, but it's beside the point). Do we have any idea if there were more December submitters on TLS last cycle who got an interview? Paging kappycaft1, maybe?

Postby 2014 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:30 pm

Hyde Park gets discussed periodically in the Ask a student thread, read it if you are bored some day.

In terms of safety, Hyde Park is completely fine. There are moderately dangerous areas surrounding it, but you have no reason to ever be in those areas so it's fine.

In terms of things to do/places to eat, Hyde Park is alright. There are definitely options, and they have done a good job developing the little downtown area which has several restaurants (including a Chipotle now!) and a movie theatre. There is really only one full service grocery store, but Hyde Park Produce is exceptional for produce. It's close to the lake which is nice if you like to walk/jog on lake shore. Transportation north is pretty accessible too. The 6 and 28 both stop at several convenient locations and will get you to the loop and the 2 despite running on a more limited schedule does the same. You will never and should never take the Green Line from Hyde Park, it is in one of the aforementioned areas you are unlikely to want to wander into lol.

The biggest pull for Hyde Park is that ~80%+ of the 1L class lives there and of the 1Ls in HP, like 75% of them live in one high rise building called Regents. Regents as a building is somewhat expensive, but it is very convenient, has a gym, restaurant, pool, coffee shop, etc. It also has like 1000 units so there is always availability which is nice. Views are very good depending on what side of the building you are on. The #1 factor though is that since the rest of the class is there, being there has huge social benefits since you can hang out with your classmates without either you or them having to commute to each other. It's a great way to get to know your classmates and something I really appreciated it. In large part because of Regents/living in Hyde Park, I can pretty much name all of my classmates and have had conversations with most outside of school. It's basically U.Chi's version of Michigan's law quad thing or other schools that do law dorms, except these are full private apartments. Bus to school is 100 feet from the door too and free.

jdapplicant

Postby jdapplicant » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:49 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:

I hope I didn't give off the impression that I think Chicago expects a "why Chicago." I only meant that it might be beneficial to include in some cases. For example, I went to undergrad in NYC. I included a segment on why Chicago in my application because I did not want them to think I have a strong bias towards staying in NYC. Anyway, it looks like FiveStars stat was accurate (based on the spreadsheet) so sorry to detract the conversation from more useful speculation.

dempsey6

Postby dempsey6 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:51 pm

ysjchang wrote:

Wow. Did not expect it to be so high. Crossing fingers but interview request seem to be a very good sign. :roll:

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:54 pm

I felt like Chicago tries to get the "Why Chicago" out of you when they ask about which student organizations and such you would be interested in. Other than how specific I was in that section from my research (aka advice from kappycaft1) I didn't write about Why Chicago anywhere.

In terms of optional essays, I think all of them except the Why X essays at yield protect schools are truly optional or not wanted at all.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”