Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby nothingtosee » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:12 pm

Hey all, had my interview today. Definitely sounds like same questions but different vibe from the normal chi interview:
Why law?
Why Chicago?
Who has most influenced your law desire?
Why first job I had out of college?
Regret?
What if not law?
How would colleagues describe you?
Accomplishment?

What was atypical is that a lot of questions led to back and forth conversational style. Total 20 min. 5 was questions, 5 was various shooting the breeze.
Last edited by nothingtosee on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kenwash
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby kenwash » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:20 pm

nothingtosee wrote:Hey all, had my interview today. Definitely sounds like same questions but different vibe from the normal chi interview:
Why law?
Why Chicago?
Why first job I had out of college?
Regret?
What if not law?
How would colleagues describe you?
Accomplishment?

What was atypical is that a lot of questions led to back and forth conversational style. Total 20 min. 5 was questions, 5 was various shooting the breeze.

Hmm...could it be a different interviewer?

User avatar
albs18
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby albs18 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:32 pm

kenwash wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:Hey all, had my interview today. Definitely sounds like same questions but different vibe from the normal chi interview:
Why law?
Why Chicago?
Why first job I had out of college?
Regret?
What if not law?
How would colleagues describe you?
Accomplishment?

What was atypical is that a lot of questions led to back and forth conversational style. Total 20 min. 5 was questions, 5 was various shooting the breeze.

Hmm...could it be a different interviewer?


Curious about this too. Some people have been reporting having conversational interviews, which makes me nervous about mine.

User avatar
admiringatticus
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby admiringatticus » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:05 pm

angels2fly wrote:
californiauser wrote:UR1 2/10, anyone know when I should expect UR2, interview follows shortly after UR2, right?


I went straight from UR1 to interview invite.


Me too. 1/30 complete to -> interview invite yesterday.

User avatar
kershka
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby kershka » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:09 am

nothingtosee wrote:Hey all, had my interview today. Definitely sounds like same questions but different vibe from the normal chi interview:
Why law?
Why Chicago?
Who has most influenced your law desire?
Why first job I had out of college?
Regret?
What if not law?
How would colleagues describe you?
Accomplishment?

What was atypical is that a lot of questions led to back and forth conversational style. Total 20 min. 5 was questions, 5 was various shooting the breeze.

I don't think this is particularly unusual. It seems to be a fairly even split between those of us who had the conversational style and those with the more traditional approach. It's probably just what interviewer you got or how similar you are to whoever you interviewed with (i.e. if you had anything in common to chat about).

Just from conversations that I've had with various admits, what style of interview you had doesn't appear to have an impact on admissions. Plenty of us were admitted with both types. In other words, don't stress either way. You've all got this :D

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:19 am

kershka wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:Hey all, had my interview today. Definitely sounds like same questions but different vibe from the normal chi interview:
Why law?
Why Chicago?
Who has most influenced your law desire?
Why first job I had out of college?
Regret?
What if not law?
How would colleagues describe you?
Accomplishment?

What was atypical is that a lot of questions led to back and forth conversational style. Total 20 min. 5 was questions, 5 was various shooting the breeze.

I don't think this is particularly unusual. It seems to be a fairly even split between those of us who had the conversational style and those with the more traditional approach. It's probably just what interviewer you got or how similar you are to whoever you interviewed with (i.e. if you had anything in common to chat about).

Just from conversations that I've had with various admits, what style of interview you had doesn't appear to have an impact on admissions. Plenty of us were admitted with both types. In other words, don't stress either way. You've all got this :D


+1 to all of the above, my interview felt very rigid and I was admitted.

User avatar
Arrow4Christ
Posts: 418
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Arrow4Christ » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:30 am

I thought this day would never come...but I'm finally UR1 :lol:

User avatar
odinsbeard
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby odinsbeard » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:00 pm

I just went UR1 as well! Submitted 1/6, complete 1/24.

User avatar
lejabberwocky
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby lejabberwocky » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:05 pm

odinsbeard wrote:I just went UR1 as well! Submitted 1/6, complete 1/24.


I had really given up on checking my Chicago stuff until I saw your post. Same EXACT submit complete dates as you, and finally under review today. Hoorah.

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 2342
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Slytherpuff » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:13 pm

Arrow4Christ wrote:I thought this day would never come...but I'm finally UR1 :lol:

+1

User avatar
MrMileyCyrus
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby MrMileyCyrus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:22 pm

So...maybe admit wave today?

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:23 pm

MrMileyCyrus wrote:So...maybe admit wave today?


Sources say next week.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby midwest17 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:24 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
MrMileyCyrus wrote:So...maybe admit wave today?


Sources say next week.


I predict UR date changes tomorrow (for people who have already had their interviews) and decisions on Tuesday.

User avatar
bbkk
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby bbkk » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:16 pm

midwest17 wrote:I predict UR date changes tomorrow (for people who have already had their interviews) and decisions on Tuesday.


Can you predict when will my status change? Complete 2/4.

User avatar
esrom55
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby esrom55 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:18 pm

bbkk wrote:
midwest17 wrote:I predict UR date changes tomorrow (for people who have already had their interviews) and decisions on Tuesday.


Can you predict when will my status change? Complete 2/4.


+1

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby midwest17 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:51 pm

bbkk wrote:
midwest17 wrote:I predict UR date changes tomorrow (for people who have already had their interviews) and decisions on Tuesday.


Can you predict when will my status change? Complete 2/4.


I have no idea :)

User avatar
Optimist Prime
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Optimist Prime » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:28 pm

Probably over-thinking this, but what did they ask specifically re regret? What is your biggest regret, or what do you regret about x?

My interview is next week so please excuse the nueroticisim.

User avatar
KatyMarie
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby KatyMarie » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:30 pm

Optimist Prime wrote:Probably over-thinking this, but what did they ask specifically re regret? What is your biggest regret, or what do you regret about x?

My interview is next week so please excuse the nueroticisim.


I didn't get asked anything about regret. I got asked "If you could redo one thing, what would it be?"

User avatar
Ricky-Bobby
Posts: 1151
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:30 pm

KatyMarie wrote:
Optimist Prime wrote:Probably over-thinking this, but what did they ask specifically re regret? What is your biggest regret, or what do you regret about x?

My interview is next week so please excuse the nueroticisim.


I didn't get asked anything about regret. I got asked "If you could redo one thing, what would it be?"


+1

User avatar
Optimist Prime
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Optimist Prime » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:58 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
KatyMarie wrote:
Optimist Prime wrote:Probably over-thinking this, but what did they ask specifically re regret? What is your biggest regret, or what do you regret about x?

My interview is next week so please excuse the nueroticisim.


I didn't get asked anything about regret. I got asked "If you could redo one thing, what would it be?"


+1


Ah, thank you both. I was referring to nothingtosee's question list that she posted at the top of this page and forgot to reference it. I think you answered my question perfectly even though I didn't include complete information.

Also, that's one tough question. If I was asked that without prep I'm sure I would have blanked and said "I try to live without regrets" or something non-answery like that. Definitely one for me to think about tonight.

User avatar
Marshmallow
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Marshmallow » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:08 pm

Optimist Prime wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
KatyMarie wrote:
Optimist Prime wrote:Probably over-thinking this, but what did they ask specifically re regret? What is your biggest regret, or what do you regret about x?

My interview is next week so please excuse the nueroticisim.


I didn't get asked anything about regret. I got asked "If you could redo one thing, what would it be?"


+1


Ah, thank you both. I was referring to nothingtosee's question list that she posted at the top of this page and forgot to reference it. I think you answered my question perfectly even though I didn't include complete information.

Also, that's one tough question. If I was asked that without prep I'm sure I would have blanked and said "I try to live without regrets" or something non-answery like that. Definitely one for me to think about tonight.


i forgot who mentioned this previously, but turn your regrets into positives. if i had been asked this question, i would have said something like... i wish i had spent a year and not a semester abroad. while my language skills really improved, another semester would have done loads for my confidence, and just would have cemented the language skills i picked up. i mean, not exactly, but you get the point. positive positive positive

msdiiva
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:02 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby msdiiva » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:37 pm

Any UR2s from 2/13 still waiting on interviews?

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby mandyjay11 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:38 pm

msdiiva wrote:Any UR2s from 2/13 still waiting on interviews?



yes, me!

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby yossarian » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:59 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
msdiiva wrote:Any UR2s from 2/13 still waiting on interviews?



yes, me!


2/9 UR2 waiting (Below both 25ths)

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 13806
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby star fox » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:48 am

Sent 1/07
Complete 1/24
UR1 2/14

What do people think the medians will look like at the end of it?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”