Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
andapieceoftoast

Bronze

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Post by andapieceoftoast » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:34 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
andapieceoftoast wrote:Does anyone know the twitter handle of UChi? Last year it looks like they gave ppl heads up on when batches were coming out just like NU does.
@UChicagoLawApps
Thanks T-14!

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:35 pm

andapieceoftoast wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
andapieceoftoast wrote:Does anyone know the twitter handle of UChi? Last year it looks like they gave ppl heads up on when batches were coming out just like NU does.
@UChicagoLawApps
Thanks T-14!
8) congrats in advance on your UCHI acceptance :wink:

andapieceoftoast

Bronze

Post by andapieceoftoast » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:36 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
andapieceoftoast wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
@UChicagoLawApps
Thanks T-14!
Ha. Please tell me you know something I don't. Because this cycle...hooooo boy. I am one burnt piece of toast.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:45 pm

2014 wrote:Hyde Park gets discussed periodically in the Ask a student thread, read it if you are bored some day.

In terms of safety, Hyde Park is completely fine. There are moderately dangerous areas surrounding it, but you have no reason to ever be in those areas so it's fine.

In terms of things to do/places to eat, Hyde Park is alright. There are definitely options, and they have done a good job developing the little downtown area which has several restaurants (including a Chipotle now!) and a movie theatre. There is really only one full service grocery store, but Hyde Park Produce is exceptional for produce. It's close to the lake which is nice if you like to walk/jog on lake shore. Transportation north is pretty accessible too. The 6 and 28 both stop at several convenient locations and will get you to the loop and the 2 despite running on a more limited schedule does the same. You will never and should never take the Green Line from Hyde Park, it is in one of the aforementioned areas you are unlikely to want to wander into lol.

The biggest pull for Hyde Park is that ~80%+ of the 1L class lives there and of the 1Ls in HP, like 75% of them live in one high rise building called Regents. Regents as a building is somewhat expensive, but it is very convenient, has a gym, restaurant, pool, coffee shop, etc. It also has like 1000 units so there is always availability which is nice. Views are very good depending on what side of the building you are on. The #1 factor though is that since the rest of the class is there, being there has huge social benefits since you can hang out with your classmates without either you or them having to commute to each other. It's a great way to get to know your classmates and something I really appreciated it. In large part because of Regents/living in Hyde Park, I can pretty much name all of my classmates and have had conversations with most outside of school. It's basically U.Chi's version of Michigan's law quad thing or other schools that do law dorms, except these are full private apartments. Bus to school is 100 feet from the door too and free.
The warning about the Green Line stop is overstated. It's fine in groups during the day. I'd be cautious about going alone (though I've done it), and I probably wouldn't go at night.

That said, the 55 to the Garfield Red Line stop is also a good way to get downtown.

EEguy5

New

Post by EEguy5 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:48 pm

2014 wrote:Hyde Park gets discussed periodically in the Ask a student thread, read it if you are bored some day.

In terms of safety, Hyde Park is completely fine. There are moderately dangerous areas surrounding it, but you have no reason to ever be in those areas so it's fine.

In terms of things to do/places to eat, Hyde Park is alright. There are definitely options, and they have done a good job developing the little downtown area which has several restaurants (including a Chipotle now!) and a movie theatre. There is really only one full service grocery store, but Hyde Park Produce is exceptional for produce. It's close to the lake which is nice if you like to walk/jog on lake shore. Transportation north is pretty accessible too. The 6 and 28 both stop at several convenient locations and will get you to the loop and the 2 despite running on a more limited schedule does the same. You will never and should never take the Green Line from Hyde Park, it is in one of the aforementioned areas you are unlikely to want to wander into lol.

The biggest pull for Hyde Park is that ~80%+ of the 1L class lives there and of the 1Ls in HP, like 75% of them live in one high rise building called Regents. Regents as a building is somewhat expensive, but it is very convenient, has a gym, restaurant, pool, coffee shop, etc. It also has like 1000 units so there is always availability which is nice. Views are very good depending on what side of the building you are on. The #1 factor though is that since the rest of the class is there, being there has huge social benefits since you can hang out with your classmates without either you or them having to commute to each other. It's a great way to get to know your classmates and something I really appreciated it. In large part because of Regents/living in Hyde Park, I can pretty much name all of my classmates and have had conversations with most outside of school. It's basically U.Chi's version of Michigan's law quad thing or other schools that do law dorms, except these are full private apartments. Bus to school is 100 feet from the door too and free.
Thanks for all the information! I will definitely check out the other threads too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:02 pm

andapieceoftoast wrote:
Ha. Please tell me you know something I don't. Because this cycle...hooooo boy. I am one burnt piece of toast.
lol'd irl

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:04 pm

andapieceoftoast wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
andapieceoftoast wrote: Thanks T-14!
I like my toast a little crispy ;)

andapieceoftoast

Bronze

Post by andapieceoftoast » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:08 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
andapieceoftoast wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
andapieceoftoast wrote: Thanks T-14!
I like my toast a little crispy ;)
I like my toast slathered with acceptances, but alas...

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:09 pm

anubis1911 wrote:Is it proper etiquette to send a thank you note after the interview? I don't want to screw up on something so dumb.
Common wisdom is yes for alumni interviews, no for interviews with adcoms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

t14splitter

Bronze

Post by t14splitter » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:11 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
anubis1911 wrote:Is it proper etiquette to send a thank you note after the interview? I don't want to screw up on something so dumb.
I sent one anyway. Can't hurt to be polite.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:13 pm

t14splitter wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
I don't think it will hurt, but KB has said she rarely read them unless someone in the office specifically passed it on to her for some reason. They get a TON of emails, have a ton of stuff to read at this time of the year, I think I'd rather just not bug them. But again, it's not going to hurt you so it probably doesn't matter either way.

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:27 pm

Found this other interview spreadsheet from last cycle that seems to have quite a few more entries than the other one: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... wdWc#gid=0

Also, that spreadsheet makes it look like December submits didn't get interview invites UNTIL MARCH :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:38 pm

t14splitter wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
It doesn't matter either way. I wouldn't bother.

Also awww @ Sabine. Li Na in Melbourne last year was like saddest ever though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OsaroLJ

Bronze

Post by OsaroLJ » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:41 pm

koalacity wrote:Found this other interview spreadsheet from last cycle that seems to have quite a few more entries than the other one: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... wdWc#gid=0

Also, that spreadsheet makes it look like December submits didn't get interview invites UNTIL MARCH :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Might as well kick back and relax right??? No point in stressing right???

Yea right! :lol:

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:55 pm

OsaroLJ wrote:
koalacity wrote:Found this other interview spreadsheet from last cycle that seems to have quite a few more entries than the other one: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... wdWc#gid=0

MARCH :shock:

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:57 pm

koalacity wrote:
OsaroLJ wrote:

MARCH?!?!?!?!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh wait, my RC sucks. I wasn't a December submit.

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:02 pm

lawschool22 wrote: MARCH?!?!?!?!

I was :oops:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:04 pm

koalacity wrote:
OsaroLJ wrote:

Yeah, but you're you. :)

bbkk

Silver

Post by bbkk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:17 pm

koalacity wrote:
lawschool22 wrote: MARCH?!?!?!?!

I was :oops:

I submitted in Jan! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

caiti

New

Post by caiti » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:58 pm

I submitted early Dec and just got an interview request, so I don't think that timeline will apply this year.

rutgers17

Bronze

Post by rutgers17 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:23 pm

caiti wrote:

I submitted early Dec and just got an interview request, so I don't think that timeline will apply this year.
+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:29 pm

caiti wrote:

Wasn't Chicago moving faster in general this year though? Meaning that I'd be surprised if the December > March Invite thing held up again.

c0llegeStUd3nt

New

Post by c0llegeStUd3nt » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:32 pm

When they say 14 days do they mean that we need to sign up for a time in the next 14 days or that that time needs to be within the next 14 days? The earliest time available for me is in February...

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:38 pm

c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:When they say 14 days do they mean that we need to sign up for a time in the next 14 days or that that time needs to be within the next 14 days? The earliest time available for me is in February...

thechancellor

Silver

Post by thechancellor » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:46 am

Just finished my interview, it was exactly what I expected/what you all have said, no surprises. I prepped responses for the recommended questions which were all I was asked and it seemed to go smoothly, though we'll see if he thinks so ;) good luck to anyone getting ready for theirs!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”