Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawschool22

Gold

Re: Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:37 pm

edwardt1988 wrote:So if you've had a UR date change to 1/3 and you didn't get an interview, you won't get an interview? :cry:
Not sure, but I think "no interview" does not necessarily mean "no acceptance."

bbkk

Silver

Post by bbkk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:45 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
Okay, cool. I haven't been in the SLS thread (no chance, didn't apply) but I'm sure the OP would fix it if you let him/her know via PM.
KK! thanks!

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:01 pm

I'm Complete 11/6, UR 12/3 and I still haven't had a date change since then :(. I don't know what to think of this.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:02 pm

Luchi91 wrote:Application went under review 11/19 and it has been under final review since 1/4.

They told me it's too late to receive an interview. I guess my personal statement and letters of rec were sufficiently telling, or they plan on rejecting me.

But if they wanted to reject me, would it take this long?

I hate that my GPA and LSAT are bad. I'm retaking it in February but unfortunately, my application cannot be on hold anymore.

6-8 weeks are up this week. A bit nervous
Wait.... what?? Did they stop handing out interviews this early last year?

Or are you ED? Is this just ED interviews that are over?

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:06 pm

jingosaur wrote:I'm Complete 11/6, UR 12/3 and I still haven't had a date change since then :(. I don't know what to think of this.
Complete date a tad earlier than yours, same UR date. No love for us.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

orangec90

Bronze

Post by orangec90 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:07 pm

midwest17 wrote:
Luchi91 wrote:Application went under review 11/19 and it has been under final review since 1/4.

They told me it's too late to receive an interview. I guess my personal statement and letters of rec were sufficiently telling, or they plan on rejecting me.

I hate that my GPA and LSAT are bad. I'm retaking it in February but unfortunately, my application cannot be on hold anymore.

I think they have probably already made a decision on the applicant and think that re-openin the application/interviewing won't significantly affect whatever decision they made. I don't think there's a hard interview deadline for invites

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:08 pm

Just had my RD interview recently, went pretty smoothly. I felt like it was a bit more guided than the JS1 (for those curious). However I definitely wouldn't go so far to call it "formal." I wasn't hit with any curve-ball questions, this thread and the interview thread pretty much have it covered. My interview was right around 20 minutes long.

MrMileyCyrus

Bronze

Post by MrMileyCyrus » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:12 pm

There is literally no way that "interviews are over." It's not even halfway through January yet, plus there was a huge batch of people that went UR on 1/3 that haven't received invitations yet.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:18 pm

so I should have been following this more closely but didn't...that huge batch that went UR 1/3...was that Complete ---> UR, or UR--->UR?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:19 pm

So is the time between complete and UR about one month?

MrMileyCyrus

Bronze

Post by MrMileyCyrus » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:21 pm

scoobers wrote:so I should have been following this more closely but didn't...that huge batch that went UR 1/3...was that Complete ---> UR, or UR--->UR?
A lot of people (me included) went UR2. I was 12/24 --> 1/3.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:22 pm

scoobers wrote:so I should have been following this more closely but didn't...that huge batch that went UR 1/3...was that Complete ---> UR, or UR--->UR?
U2

UR---> UR2

ysjchang

New

Post by ysjchang » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:45 pm

UR1 12/10 => UR2 1/3 for me!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GreatExpectations

New

Post by GreatExpectations » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:45 pm

UR1 12/22 --> UR2 1/3

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:50 pm

and when did you all submit?

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Had my Skype interview today, and I totally blew it. The fact that it was so cold in my room that I was trying not to shiver visibly had something to do with it. Oh well.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:18 pm

heythatslife wrote:Had my Skype interview today, and I totally blew it. The fact that it was so cold in my room that I was trying not to shiver visibly had something to do with it. Oh well.
well..hey, that's life

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OsaroLJ

Bronze

Post by OsaroLJ » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:30 pm

heythatslife wrote:Had my Skype interview today, and I totally blew it. The fact that it was so cold in my room that I was trying not to shiver visibly had something to do with it. Oh well.
I have always been curious about assertions like this. How do you know you "blew" a verbal interview?

I ask because I talk to people for a living...and when people say what you just said to me, I usually give them a funny look.

OsaroLJ

Bronze

Post by OsaroLJ » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:32 pm

Btw, I went UR 2 on 1/10 in case anyone was interested.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:16 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
well..hey, that's life
lol'd then felt bad.

Luchi91

Bronze

Post by Luchi91 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:09 pm

orangec90 wrote:
midwest17 wrote:

I think they have probably already made a decision on the applicant and think that re-openin the application/interviewing won't significantly affect whatever decision they made. I don't think there's a hard interview deadline for invites
Hopefully they accept me. If they count holiday break, I will most likely find out this week since this week marks 8 weeks. If they don't count the holidays, another week of twiddling my thumb and waiting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fivestarfolds

Silver

Post by fivestarfolds » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:12 pm

This is a list of the first days on which admits/wl's/dings went out at U of C.

'10: December 29
'11: January 10
'12: January 13
'13: January 23
'14: ???

Is it fair to speculate that, since last year, U of C has gotten slightly faster in the decisions process (since last year was the introduction of their new interviewing procedure)? OR should we expect decisions to be right around the same date as last year?

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:36 pm

OsaroLJ wrote:
I have always been curious about assertions like this. How do you know you "blew" a verbal interview?

I ask because I talk to people for a living...and when people say what you just said to me, I usually give them a funny look.
I obviously don't know what heythatslife did, but here is a short list of things that I might consider blowing a verbal interviewer:
  • repeatedly telling the interviewer that you find him/her to be attractive and would like to have sex with him/her
  • going to the interview naked
  • going to the interview with a sock taped on your upper left cheek
  • going to the interview while pretending that your butt is your face
  • going to the interview while pretending that your butt is your face with a sock taped on your upper left butt cheek
  • picking your nose throughout the whole interview
  • refusing to answer any questions
  • doing jumping-jacks, increasing in number in a fibonacci sequence, after every third word you speak
  • noting that you once killed your little sister and convinced everyone that the dog did it ("I'm really great at arguing my point")
  • offering to bribe the interviewer in order to be admitted
  • saying that you wouldn't attend the school, but you're just interviewing for the practice
  • breaking down in tears because you're so worried about the interview
  • hyperventilating halfway through the interview
  • having your grandmother come on screen halfway through the interview and look at the screen to ask what you're doing this might just be cute and help
  • noting that your greatest achievement is losing your virginity
  • noting that your friends would describe you as an "arrogant, self-serving, douchebag"
  • alternating between whispering and shouting throughout the entire interview
  • doing the interview from a hottub
  • doing the interview from the treadmill in the gym (at least be sure to use a headset so they can hear you)
  • sending your little sister to interview for you
  • noting that the most influential person in your life has been Santa Claus - "no, he's real, I SWEAR!"
  • noting that the main reason you applied to the school is because the "voice in my head named Freddy told me to"
  • when the interviewer asks you about why you chose your undergrad school, noting that the "first rule of [insert undergrad here] is you don't talk about [insert undergrad here]. the second rule of [insert undergrad here] is you don't talk about [insert undergrad here]."
  • when asked "why law?", responding that you have won several arguments with your cat and thought you might enjoy pursuing this as a careerRegulus is here so this should be okay
Honestly, though, after my interviewer I thought it had gone pretty bad, but I got in... so don't stress too much. Worst case scenario you don't get in, but you'll still have lots of great options to choose from. Best of luck all!

nope not procrastinating my property reading at all

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:51 pm

OsaroLJ wrote:

During the intervew, I was speaking through clenched teeth because I was actually afraid they would make a chattering noise. I must have looked and sounded like a constipated person trying to take a crap.

This, in turn, completely threw my concentration off, and my responses were not as focused and on the ball as I had wanted them to be. One of the questions had me stumped as I was searching for an answer. I already had my JS1 interview with Harvard a while ago which went swimmingly, so I have that as a point of reference to know that I messed up this time (although "totally" might have been an exaggeration).

I guess the lesson of the day is to make sure that you are interviewing in a comfortable environment because little things can potentially affect your performance?

Luchi91

Bronze

Post by Luchi91 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:43 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
OsaroLJ wrote:

I obviously don't know what heythatslife did, but here is a short list of things that I might consider blowing a verbal interviewer:
  • repeatedly telling the interviewer that you find him/her to be attractive and would like to have sex with him/her
  • going to the interview naked
  • going to the interview with a sock taped on your upper left cheek
  • going to the interview while pretending that your butt is your face
  • going to the interview while pretending that your butt is your face with a sock taped on your upper left butt cheek
  • picking your nose throughout the whole interview
  • refusing to answer any questions
  • doing jumping-jacks, increasing in number in a fibonacci sequence, after every third word you speak
  • noting that you once killed your little sister and convinced everyone that the dog did it ("I'm really great at arguing my point")
  • offering to bribe the interviewer in order to be admitted
  • saying that you wouldn't attend the school, but you're just interviewing for the practice
  • breaking down in tears because you're so worried about the interview
  • hyperventilating halfway through the interview
  • having your grandmother come on screen halfway through the interview and look at the screen to ask what you're doing this might just be cute and help
  • noting that your greatest achievement is losing your virginity
  • noting that your friends would describe you as an "arrogant, self-serving, douchebag"
  • alternating between whispering and shouting throughout the entire interview
  • doing the interview from a hottub
  • doing the interview from the treadmill in the gym (at least be sure to use a headset so they can hear you)
  • sending your little sister to interview for you
  • noting that the most influential person in your life has been Santa Claus - "no, he's real, I SWEAR!"
  • noting that the main reason you applied to the school is because the "voice in my head named Freddy told me to"
  • when the interviewer asks you about why you chose your undergrad school, noting that the "first rule of [insert undergrad here] is you don't talk about [insert undergrad here]. the second rule of [insert undergrad here] is you don't talk about [insert undergrad here]."
  • when asked "why law?", responding that you have won several arguments with your cat and thought you might enjoy pursuing this as a careerRegulus is here so this should be okay
Honestly, though, after my interviewer I thought it had gone pretty bad, but I got in... so don't stress too much. Worst case scenario you don't get in, but you'll still have lots of great options to choose from. Best of luck all!

nope not procrastinating my property reading at all
LMFAO this just gave me life!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”