Cardozo C/O 2017 Applicants Thread (2013 - 2014 Cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
havermayer

New

Re: Cardozo C/O 2017 Applicants Thread (2013 - 2014 Cycle)

Post by havermayer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:20 pm

ame13 wrote:
dsinger42 wrote:
ame13 wrote:Waitlisted on 1/28 for the fall, accepted into the May program today!
Did they notify you of your acceptance to the May part time program by phone call?
Yes, they called me the week after my Fall waitlist accepting me to the May program
Just a call about my acceptance, about 10 days after I received an email confirming that I was going to be considered for May.

Hopefully more waitlist people will hear back soon. GOOD LUCK!

LSX_Nut

New

Post by LSX_Nut » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:03 pm

I was accepted in mid January via phone call. Unless I hear back from Fordham soon (and they offer some decent $$$$), it looks like I'm going to Cardozo. Anyone else commuting from Astoria?

Btw, RonBurgundy, if you're interested I can forward you the info on some very affordable housing (with decent space) in Astoria. It's in very close proximity to the subway and would only be ~30min ride to Cardozo.

PattyCake

Bronze

Post by PattyCake » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:53 pm

philipthegreat wrote:
RonBurgundy wrote:I just got accepted. I went complete on 2/17 and was accepted by phone call 2/26. Full tuition scholarship! (PM for #'s)

Anyone contemplating any housing options not in Manhattan? Curious what the best options are. I don't know NYC too well. All I know is I want my commute at or less than 40 min via public transport. I also need some space because I have a 60lb dog and a fiance coming too if I accept and would rather not get rid of either of them.
You want to find an affordable place within a 40 min subway ride of Manhattan? Damn, good luck. Maybe try Brooklyn?
Washington Heights fit the bill a few years ago but I hear prices have gone up now that it's gone from "developing" to "developed." There are ALWAYS neighborhoods in flux that are relatively affordable, but you have to search hard. My old Harlem neighborhood (just above the park between Lennox/St. Nicholas) was dirt cheap until they threw up a Whole Foods and started building condos. Try Spanish Harlem, between 100th & 110th. You'd have about a 1/2 hour ride on the 4/5/6 line, or you could take the M116 bus up a few blocks and then straight west to the 2/3 express (probably about 30-40 minutes total if you know your bus route times). Both stop at Union Square.

PattyCake

Bronze

Post by PattyCake » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm

I was waitlisted a few weeks ago, just got my Feb LSAT score and I hit their 75th percentile. Wondering what my chances of coming off the WL are and how soon... scholarship possibility?

havermayer

New

Post by havermayer » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:29 pm

Does anyone happen to know how much they offer in regards to travel stipends to travel for ASD? Trying to get time off work but debating whether or not I want to spend that much money on flight and hotel, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:36 pm

havermayer wrote:Does anyone happen to know how much they offer in regards to travel stipends to travel for ASD? Trying to get time off work but debating whether or not I want to spend that much money on flight and hotel, etc.
If you are traveling from more than 250 miles, but less than 500 miles away, they will reimburse up to $200; $400 if 500 miles or more. They will also reimburse for hotel and a few other miscellaneous expenses.

CaveCanem

New

Post by CaveCanem » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:17 pm

Congrats to all those admitted. What's everyone think about dozo? Unfortunately i am out of the country and won't be able to visit before seat deposit time. Anyone visit yet? Thoughts?

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:25 am

*sigh* I apparently agreed to not only a luncheon at the ASD on 3/20, I'm now part of the Q&A because the prof whose class was at the same time "signed off" on my being there. So...0L's, come at me! 8)

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:26 am

PattyCake wrote:I was waitlisted a few weeks ago, just got my Feb LSAT score and I hit their 75th percentile. Wondering what my chances of coming off the WL are and how soon... scholarship possibility?
Notify them immediately. I was in the same percentile and scored a full ride.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CaveCanem

New

Post by CaveCanem » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:02 am

sd5289 wrote:*sigh* I apparently agreed to not only a luncheon at the ASD on 3/20, I'm now part of the Q&A because the prof whose class was at the same time "signed off" on my being there. So...0L's, come at me! 8)
How about the generic one to start, 1. How do you like it? Professors, classmates, overall experience

2. what feel do u get for Dozo's place in the NY market? Are they well-respected in the BigLaw world & represented w. networking events and OCI?

thanks a lot!

Branruss

New

Post by Branruss » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:33 am

Waitlisted for fall start. does anyone know if you could ask to be considered for BOTH the may start and stay on the fall waitlist. Or do you have to pick? (I heard last year not many people were ever taken off the waitlist for fall)

ame13

New

Post by ame13 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:52 am

Branruss wrote:Waitlisted for fall start. does anyone know if you could ask to be considered for BOTH the may start and stay on the fall waitlist. Or do you have to pick? (I heard last year not many people were ever taken off the waitlist for fall)
Yep you could be considered for both. When you accept your spot on the waitlist you can also request to be considered for May in the same email.

Smer45

New

Post by Smer45 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:53 pm

Accepted via phone call today! woo hoo!
Haven't heard from BLS about scholarship yet but does anyone think they'll negotiate based on my scholarship from Cardozo?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:13 am

CaveCanem wrote:
sd5289 wrote:*sigh* I apparently agreed to not only a luncheon at the ASD on 3/20, I'm now part of the Q&A because the prof whose class was at the same time "signed off" on my being there. So...0L's, come at me! 8)
How about the generic one to start, 1. How do you like it? Professors, classmates, overall experience

2. what feel do u get for Dozo's place in the NY market? Are they well-respected in the BigLaw world & represented w. networking events and OCI?

thanks a lot!
1. I do like it, and think it's a more friendly environment then friends of mine at other schools report. A lot of the prof's are top-notch, but there are also some duds. So far, I've had a good experience. That's not to say there aren't assholes here. There are. Just as there are at many other schools. Why? Because law school. ;)

2. This question is tricker to answer. Our IP kids tend to do pretty well. I don't think the people who interviewed through OCI got very far (I didn't do OCI...I'm a PI person). My understanding from friends who are trying to go private is that they're seeking out mid to small law firms. There are a select few who go into BigLaw, but that is definitely not the norm. Its primary market is NY for sure. It's a regional school, and I'm not sure why we have so many people from out-of-state. One thing I've noticed of Cardozo is that there are TONS of events here, and if networking is your thing, you'll have more than enough opportunities. I kinda think networking is a boomer flame, but then again, I'm headed into a very niche area that just doesn't lend itself to the swanky cocktail parties / "networking" events that most firms foster.

havermayer

New

Post by havermayer » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:24 pm

Is anyone from here going to the ASD event on March 20th? :D

PhenomenalWoman

New

Post by PhenomenalWoman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:33 pm

havermayer wrote:Is anyone from here going to the ASD event on March 20th? :D
I'll be there!

CaveCanem

New

Post by CaveCanem » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:08 pm

sd5289 wrote:
CaveCanem wrote:

thanks a lot!
1. I do like it, and think it's a more friendly environment then friends of mine at other schools report. A lot of the prof's are top-notch, but there are also some duds. So far, I've had a good experience. That's not to say there aren't assholes here. There are. Just as there are at many other schools. Why? Because law school. ;)

2. This question is tricker to answer. Our IP kids tend to do pretty well. I don't think the people who interviewed through OCI got very far (I didn't do OCI...I'm a PI person). My understanding from friends who are trying to go private is that they're seeking out mid to small law firms. There are a select few who go into BigLaw, but that is definitely not the norm. Its primary market is NY for sure. It's a regional school, and I'm not sure why we have so many people from out-of-state. One thing I've noticed of Cardozo is that there are TONS of events here, and if networking is your thing, you'll have more than enough opportunities. I kinda think networking is a boomer flame, but then again, I'm headed into a very niche area that just doesn't lend itself to the swanky cocktail parties / "networking" events that most firms foster.

Great answers. Thanks a lot for the help.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:52 pm

PhenomenalWoman wrote:
I'll be there!
I should be there!

havermayer

New

Post by havermayer » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:02 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote:
PhenomenalWoman wrote:
I'll be there!
I should be there!
Fantastic. Maybe we can find each other and make the lunch less awkward. Haha.

LSX_Nut

New

Post by LSX_Nut » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:09 pm

I'm considering going to the ASD on the 20th as well, even though I've seen the school many, many times. For those that haven't had the chance to visit NYC or Cardozo, the main building (Brookdale Center) is very nicely done. The neighborhood is among the best in the city, and if Kosher food isn't your thing, there are a TON of great places in the surrounding blocks.

sunnyd101

New

Post by sunnyd101 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:16 am

PattyCake wrote:
philipthegreat wrote:
RonBurgundy wrote:I just got accepted. I went complete on 2/17 and was accepted by phone call 2/26. Full tuition scholarship! (PM for #'s)

Anyone contemplating any housing options not in Manhattan? Curious what the best options are. I don't know NYC too well. All I know is I want my commute at or less than 40 min via public transport. I also need some space because I have a 60lb dog and a fiance coming too if I accept and would rather not get rid of either of them.
You want to find an affordable place within a 40 min subway ride of Manhattan? Damn, good luck. Maybe try Brooklyn?
Washington Heights fit the bill a few years ago but I hear prices have gone up now that it's gone from "developing" to "developed." There are ALWAYS neighborhoods in flux that are relatively affordable, but you have to search hard. My old Harlem neighborhood (just above the park between Lennox/St. Nicholas) was dirt cheap until they threw up a Whole Foods and started building condos. Try Spanish Harlem, between 100th & 110th. You'd have about a 1/2 hour ride on the 4/5/6 line, or you could take the M116 bus up a few blocks and then straight west to the 2/3 express (probably about 30-40 minutes total if you know your bus route times). Both stop at Union Square.
Last edited by sunnyd101 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PattyCake

Bronze

Post by PattyCake » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:53 pm

sunnyd101 wrote:
PattyCake wrote:
philipthegreat wrote:

I live on the east side of Manhattan and my rent is pretty affordable. You really just have to dig deep to find a good place. I was looking at places in the areas others have mentioned (Astoria, Brooklyn, etc.) and they were just as expensive, if not considerably more so. Really depends on how much digging you do.
Just curious, how long have you been on the east side and how far up/downtown? I thought that bubble burst a few years ago, I might look again if it's becoming relatively affordable again... The area from 90th to 72nd (ish) used to cost about the same as Spanish Harlem but then they started updating the buildings and rents skyrocketed. My MIL has a 1BR on 76th or 77th (1/2 bath, decent closet space, practically nonexistent kitchen) and she's paid about 2K/month since around 2009. Her new neighbors (identical unit) have paid about $2450 since 2012.

sunnyd101

New

Post by sunnyd101 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:36 pm

PattyCake wrote:
Just curious, how long have you been on the east side and how far up/downtown? I thought that bubble burst a few years ago, I might look again if it's becoming relatively affordable again... The area from 90th to 72nd (ish) used to cost about the same as Spanish Harlem but then they started updating the buildings and rents skyrocketed. My MIL has a 1BR on 76th or 77th (1/2 bath, decent closet space, practically nonexistent kitchen) and she's paid about 2K/month since around 2009. Her new neighbors (identical unit) have paid about $2450 since 2012.
Just sent you a PM!

darthktar

New

Post by darthktar » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:32 pm

I'll be there too!!!

Tito

New

Post by Tito » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:07 pm

havermayer wrote:
JazzieShizzle wrote:
PhenomenalWoman wrote:
I'll be there!
I should be there!
Fantastic. Maybe we can find each other and make the lunch less awkward. Haha.

I should be there!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”