Post removed.

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ZipWhenSheMoves

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby ZipWhenSheMoves » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:02 pm

jingosaur wrote:I'm starting to think that they rejected this person first just to send a message to everyone that they're still not being nice to splitters this cycle.

Or because she used a professional service for her PS. WTH.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:05 pm

ZipWhenSheMoves wrote:
jingosaur wrote:I'm starting to think that they rejected this person first just to send a message to everyone that they're still not being nice to splitters this cycle.

Do law schools not like when people use consultants? I know MBA programs HATE when people use consultants. I bought a book on how to write essays and saved myself the $8000 and auto-rejects.

ShrimpToastMasters

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:06 pm

jingosaur wrote:
ZipWhenSheMoves wrote:

Do law schools not like when people use consultants? I know MBA programs HATE when people use consultants. I bought a book on how to write essays and saved myself the $8000 and auto-rejects.

also bought a book

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:12 pm

Funny relevant story about my interview. We got a folder that had the most recent Wharton student newspaper in it and on the front page it had 10 tips for the Team Based Discussion. One of them was along the lines of "Every interviewee gets one 'time out' during the discussion where they can leave the room and talk with their admissions consultant. This is a 45 second timeout." There were some other funny ones too like "The interviewee who says 'meow' the most in the interview is automatically admitted."

Not direct quotes. I don't have the paper in front of me.

tigersaresexy

Postby tigersaresexy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:12 pm

LawwwYeaa wrote:i'm guessing no news is good news at this point. in previous years, penn began admitting people on the first friday in december, usually those who submitted earliest. then it seems to be rejections with sparse acceptances between monday and thursday, and they seem to issue more acceptances on fridays. though they also seemed to issue acceptances on wednesday too. my guess is sept/oct ED apps will get calls tomorrow, nov ED apps will prob get calls the wed/fri of next week and thereafter through december.

I hope this is true. I'm beginning to panic now...
Last edited by tigersaresexy on Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShrimpToastMasters

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:15 pm

jingosaur wrote:Funny relevant story about my interview. We got a folder that had the most recent Wharton student newspaper in it and on the front page it had 10 tips for the Team Based Discussion. One of them was along the lines of "Every interviewee gets one 'time out' during the discussion where they can leave the room and talk with their admissions consultant. This is a 45 second timeout." There were some other funny ones too like "The interviewee who says 'meow' the most in the interview is automatically admitted."

Not direct quotes. I don't have the paper in front of me.

ahh - searching online and can't find it! now i want to read it

CornellATL

Postby CornellATL » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:34 pm

ZipWhenSheMoves wrote:

Um, don't you think this makes her sound even less legit? Why would someone publicly post that they used a PS writing service? (These really exist??)
She still has other apps pending, so now she publicly let it known she cheated? I think supersplitter is fake...

hardrive6

Postby hardrive6 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:38 pm

CornellATL wrote:
ZipWhenSheMoves wrote:

Um, don't you think this makes her sound even less legit? Why would someone publicly post that they used a PS writing service? (These really exist??)
She still has other apps pending, so now she publicly let it known she cheated? I think supersplitter is fake...

I agree - the tone comes off as trolling

tigersaresexy

Postby tigersaresexy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:44 pm

CornellATL wrote:
ZipWhenSheMoves wrote:

When I saw it I was like "How can she be so nonchalant about using a service?" That's some take to the grave kind of shit (If I used a service I would die of embarrassment), besides the fact that she has pretty unique numbers and all her app info up on the internet.

Since no one else on the internet seems to have heard from Upenn so far I'm going to go ahead and say troll.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:56 pm

Just curious: when you are talking about using a service, are you referring to a service that actually writes the PS for you?

CornellATL

Postby CornellATL » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:08 pm

lawschool22 wrote:Just curious: when you are talking about using a service, are you referring to a service that actually writes the PS for you?

I believe that's what they are talking about. I'm pretty sure the certifications on all applications make you certify that your PS is your own work...I wasn't aware that people were that desperate that they had to pay others to do write their PS for them...

LawwwYeaa

Postby LawwwYeaa » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:09 pm

CornellATL wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:Just curious: when you are talking about using a service, are you referring to a service that actually writes the PS for you?

I believe that's what they are talking about. I'm pretty sure the certifications on all applications make you certify that your PS is your own work...I wasn't aware that people were that desperate that they had to pay others to do write their PS for them...

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/supersplitter33
Cornell, where are you getting "PS writing" service from? Her words were "consulting service" which I would expect is more along the lines of proofreading and editing. It's possible that consulting service is a euphemism for a PS writing service, but it's perfectly believable that she used someone like Mike Spivey or Anna Ivey.

tigersaresexy

Postby tigersaresexy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:15 pm

My older brother used a 'service' for UG applications (mainly because my family was shit scared of US college admissions and the service was recommended as a 'must'...we collectively decided a service was a waste of money when my admissions cycle came around)

Mainly, she looked over his transcripts and supplementals and made a list of schools for him. It was like, 3 safeties, three targets and like 7 reaches. She told him exactly when to apply, got him in touch with some admissions officers she knew via email/phone (or if they were coming to India for a college fair or something she'd set up a lunch), she read and heavily edited his personal statement, she proofread all his applications. The biggest thing she did was she added a lot of bullshit extras to his application. She told him to go to a children's hospital for an hour once, they gave him a certificate saying he'd been volunteering there every weekend for months, stuff like that.

I can't imagine an admissions service can do anything useful for a law school applicant besides reading/editing their essays. I can't imagine how bad of a writer you have to be to trust some rando with a counseling degree to write a better essay about you than you could yourself.

CornellATL

Postby CornellATL » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:17 pm

LawwwYeaa wrote:
CornellATL wrote:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/supersplitter33
Cornell, where are you getting "PS writing" service from? Her words were "consulting service" which I would expect is more along the lines of proofreading and editing. It's possible that consulting service is a euphemism for a PS writing service, but it's perfectly believable that she used someone like Mike Spivey or Anna Ivey.

Sorry, I got it from ZipWhenSheMoves who said she used a professional service for her PS...I guess I assumed writing service and professional services were the same thing...

longlivetheking

Postby longlivetheking » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:21 pm

seems like penn is still giving the middle finger to splitters.

but to be fair, 2.99 is an extreme split.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:32 pm

I have similar numbers so my hopes aren't high.

willmendel

Postby willmendel » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:46 pm

does anyone ever send PMs to these people they think are trolls? I just sent a message asking about her penn app, i'm guessing a troll won't respond.
but another thing, what percentage of people are one TLS/LSN? I get why the six/eight month old profiles are fake, but why is it unreasonable to think that a few people hear just a few days before everyone else? Do schools really release acceptance info that predictably?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:33 pm

To calm some nerves, just about never/nada/not once have I heard of a law school sending out denials before they admit anyone. I imagine it has happened but I can not personally think of a single time it has.

If this person were of special giving interest, meaning their family gave or might give the school a huge amount of money then it is conceivable they would get a decision first, but in this scenario I guarantee it would come from a call from the Dean. Or maybe they had some ethics violation that Penn felt compelled to act upon. But I would bet about anything that this is not some "message." It is either a troll or it is based on some unique situation that has nothing to do with numbers.

There will be a flood of admits at once before one data point of denial, unless something crazy went on with that person (see above)

tmanthedman

Postby tmanthedman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:49 am

Is today the day?!

tigersaresexy

Postby tigersaresexy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:31 am

tmanthedman wrote:Is today the day?!

Seems like it's probable. :| (Based on previous cycles)
Last edited by tigersaresexy on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShrimpToastMasters

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:34 am

tigersaresexy wrote:

Seems like it. :|

you heard back?!

tigersaresexy

Postby tigersaresexy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:57 am

ShrimpToastMasters wrote:
tigersaresexy wrote:

you heard back?!

no no sorry, I'm going to edit that. Made it seem way more legit than it should have. Should've said "seems like it probably is"...since I've obviously spent all day stalking past cycles to see when admissions started rolling in. First friday of december looks like it's a good bet.

ShrimpToastMasters

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:00 am

tigersaresexy wrote:
tigersaresexy wrote:

you heard back?!

no no sorry, I'm going to edit that. Made it seem way more legit than it should have. Should've said "seems like it probably is"...since I've obviously spent all day stalking past cycles to see when admissions started rolling in. First friday of december looks like it's a good bet.

oh ok *phew* thanks for the clarification! i hope your prediction is right!

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:54 am

tigersaresexy wrote:
tigersaresexy wrote:

you heard back?!

Let's hope this holds true this year as well!

applelover

Postby applelover » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:55 am

How long do RD applicants typically stay under committee review 1?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”