Post removed.

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
patfeeney
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby patfeeney » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:37 pm

lawschool22 wrote:WL.

Thanks, Penn lol.

>75 LSAT
<50 GPA
Good WE
Why Penn

UR2 1/13

NYU here I come (unless H wants me :D)


This is brutal. My apologies.

User avatar
scoobysnax
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby scoobysnax » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:43 pm

gobears!! wrote:I have a life question for all of you and I trust/highly value your opinions.

I am a reverse splitter with a gpa in schools' 90th percentile (and it is from a solid undergrad) and a LSAT in the 80th percentile overall. I have been told that I have really outstanding softs by schools that our out of the t14 (like GW) and interviewers within the t14. I have only been getting wait listed or held at the t14 schools so far. Do you think I should ride it out and go to the best school I get into or try to take a year off?

My problem is I have had horrible standardized testing capabilities since i was a child even though I study for the tests for 2 years. I just fear that if I take time off to retake that I will not improve anymore than I did my second time. I just really have no clue what to do and I know some of you have reapplied in a later cycle. I also fear that if I did that I would need all new letters and personal statements...not sure if that is really true or not. Any advice will be greatly appreciated and I apologize if this is not the best space. Just waitlists from UVA and Penn with my numbers has made me anxious


Might as well ride out this cycle and see how things turn out. You might be surprised!

But otherwise, try and evaluate whether or not you think you can do better. Did you exhaust your resources? Did you take a prep course? Have you followed TLS guides to success?

User avatar
jk148706
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jk148706 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:48 pm

scoobysnax wrote:
gobears!! wrote:I have a life question for all of you and I trust/highly value your opinions.

I am a reverse splitter with a gpa in schools' 90th percentile (and it is from a solid undergrad) and a LSAT in the 80th percentile overall. I have been told that I have really outstanding softs by schools that our out of the t14 (like GW) and interviewers within the t14. I have only been getting wait listed or held at the t14 schools so far. Do you think I should ride it out and go to the best school I get into or try to take a year off?

My problem is I have had horrible standardized testing capabilities since i was a child even though I study for the tests for 2 years. I just fear that if I take time off to retake that I will not improve anymore than I did my second time. I just really have no clue what to do and I know some of you have reapplied in a later cycle. I also fear that if I did that I would need all new letters and personal statements...not sure if that is really true or not. Any advice will be greatly appreciated and I apologize if this is not the best space. Just waitlists from UVA and Penn with my numbers has made me anxious


Might as well ride out this cycle and see how things turn out. You might be surprised!

But otherwise, try and evaluate whether or not you think you can do better. Did you exhaust your resources? Did you take a prep course? Have you followed TLS guides to success?


Ah man. The more I think about it, the more I think I should retake to get into Penn next cycle. I want Penn

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby phillywc » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:02 am

Condolences to all those who have heard bad news tonight.

Applied in October. Over 75th LSAT, below Median GPA. Wrote a Why Penn I thought was good. I have significant Philly ties (aka lived here my entire life), want to work here, and have Philadelphia 76ers players in my avatar. I very nearly ED'd Penn.

Waitlisted tonight.

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:03 am

phillywc wrote:Condolences to all those who have heard bad news tonight.

Applied in October. Over 75th LSAT, below Median GPA. Wrote a Why Penn I thought was good. I have significant Philly ties (aka lived here my entire life), want to work here, and have Philadelphia 76ers players in my avatar. I very nearly ED'd Penn.

Waitlisted tonight.


Hug?

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby phillywc » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:04 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
phillywc wrote:Condolences to all those who have heard bad news tonight.

Applied in October. Over 75th LSAT, below Median GPA. Wrote a Why Penn I thought was good. I have significant Philly ties (aka lived here my entire life), want to work here, and have Philadelphia 76ers players in my avatar. I very nearly ED'd Penn.

Waitlisted tonight.


Hug?

Let me wash up first...

I need it though.

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:05 am

phillywc wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
phillywc wrote:Condolences to all those who have heard bad news tonight.

Applied in October. Over 75th LSAT, below Median GPA. Wrote a Why Penn I thought was good. I have significant Philly ties (aka lived here my entire life), want to work here, and have Philadelphia 76ers players in my avatar. I very nearly ED'd Penn.

Waitlisted tonight.


Hug?

Let me wash up first...

I need it though.


We can work something out.

User avatar
jk148706
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jk148706 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:06 am

phillywc wrote:Condolences to all those who have heard bad news tonight.

Applied in October. Over 75th LSAT, below Median GPA. Wrote a Why Penn I thought was good. I have significant Philly ties (aka lived here my entire life), want to work here, and have Philadelphia 76ers players in my avatar. I very nearly ED'd Penn.

Waitlisted tonight.


Oh man I'm so sorry.
:(

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Theopliske8711 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:12 am

Sorry on all the waitlists.

User avatar
koalacity
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby koalacity » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:17 am

phillywc wrote:Condolences to all those who have heard bad news tonight.

Applied in October. Over 75th LSAT, below Median GPA. Wrote a Why Penn I thought was good. I have significant Philly ties (aka lived here my entire life), want to work here, and have Philadelphia 76ers players in my avatar. I very nearly ED'd Penn.

Waitlisted tonight.

All the sads :cry: . All the condolences :cry: .

Image

User avatar
kershka
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby kershka » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:19 am

phillywc wrote:Condolences to all those who have heard bad news tonight.

Applied in October. Over 75th LSAT, below Median GPA. Wrote a Why Penn I thought was good. I have significant Philly ties (aka lived here my entire life), want to work here, and have Philadelphia 76ers players in my avatar. I very nearly ED'd Penn.

Waitlisted tonight.

Sorry Philly (and all the other WLs) :( You've got strong numbers; I bet that you can get off it.

User avatar
Robbin Blue
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Robbin Blue » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:46 am

phillywc wrote:Condolences to all those who have heard bad news tonight.

Applied in October. Over 75th LSAT, below Median GPA. Wrote a Why Penn I thought was good. I have significant Philly ties (aka lived here my entire life), want to work here, and have Philadelphia 76ers players in my avatar. I very nearly ED'd Penn.

Waitlisted tonight.


Aww, mannnnn.... :( :( :(

Samsing
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:05 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Samsing » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:52 am

So sad to see all these wait lists tonight. :( Hang in there! I'm sure many of you will make it in.

User avatar
China Spy
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:10 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby China Spy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:54 am

phillywc wrote:Condolences to all those who have heard bad news tonight.

Applied in October. Over 75th LSAT, below Median GPA. Wrote a Why Penn I thought was good. I have significant Philly ties (aka lived here my entire life), want to work here, and have Philadelphia 76ers players in my avatar. I very nearly ED'd Penn.

Waitlisted tonight.


I'm sorry man. I hope you get in off the wait list.

User avatar
gobears!!
Posts: 2080
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:04 am

Post removed.

Postby gobears!! » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:24 am

Post removed.
Last edited by gobears!! on Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Kimikho » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:37 am

phillywc wrote:Condolences to all those who have heard bad news tonight.

Applied in October. Over 75th LSAT, below Median GPA. Wrote a Why Penn I thought was good. I have significant Philly ties (aka lived here my entire life), want to work here, and have Philadelphia 76ers players in my avatar. I very nearly ED'd Penn.

Waitlisted tonight.


:| :( :cry:

ravel
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:07 am

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby ravel » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:20 am

-
Last edited by ravel on Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby wtrc » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:42 am

Ugh, just caught up on this thread. Really sorry about all the WL guys.

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Theopliske8711 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:59 am

ravel wrote:Hi guys!

I'd appreciate any feedback/advice/etc.


With a 75 percentile GPA, I would highly recommend retaking the LSAT. This would undoubtedly mean you would have to sit out this cycle since it's unlikely that Penn would wait for the Feb score. However, knock your LSAT to a 170 or a bit higher, you would be looking at good money. Study for June, get the scores in July, and have the apps all ready to go as soon as the admissions begin. As of now, however, were you to even be accepted it would mean little aid. It may sound awful right now, but imagine that by waiting out you will be making 50-60k in one year. Maybe even more.

However, to ease your tension, a lot of people who have applied since December (such as myself) are still in review.
Last edited by Theopliske8711 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
patfeeney
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby patfeeney » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:04 am

Theopliske8711 wrote:Sorry on all the waitlists.


Penn was my top choice. Now it seems more of a reach than Yale, so I've basically given up all hope.

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Theopliske8711 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:18 am

patfeeney wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:Sorry on all the waitlists.


Penn was my top choice. Now it seems more of a reach than Yale, so I've basically given up all hope.


Sorry to hear. I'm not sure you can count yourself out yet, though. If it's your top pick, stick to it and see, even if there is no certainty.

webbdp3
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:47 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby webbdp3 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:37 am

Just went complete today. Sorry to see all the WLs yesterday. Sort of feel like I am walking into the cave in Indiana Jones' Last Crusade. Here's to hoping it's quick and painless.

User avatar
residentemma
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby residentemma » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:02 pm

aww man this thread is so sad now. really sorry about all the WLs this week :( it seems to me that penn is using their waitlist wayyy more than normal, maybe this is a YP strategy? WL everyone, see who rides it out and writes LOCIs etc. so they can weed out the HYSCCNers? i dunno... just looking at all your #s it seems super weird they would want to pass up this many good candidates

as for me, submitted in november and still no word :?

User avatar
Balthy
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Balthy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:13 pm

residentemma wrote:aww man this thread is so sad now. really sorry about all the WLs this week :( it seems to me that penn is using their waitlist wayyy more than normal, maybe this is a YP strategy? WL everyone, see who rides it out and writes LOCIs etc. so they can weed out the HYSCCNers? i dunno... just looking at all your #s it seems super weird they would want to pass up this many good candidates

as for me, submitted in november and still no word :?



I was thinking this as well. Doesn't look like standard YP at all. Lower lsat "requirements" + small class + rising biglaw placement and desirability might have led to the YP strategy you mentioned.

truckstop
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby truckstop » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:31 pm

I'm just surprised by how many people with good numbers who actually wrote Why Penn? were waitlisted. I figured I would be because I didn't write one (so I wasn't surprised to get the email), but man. Sorry everyone else!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”