Post removed. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jamieLD

New

Re: Penn c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Post by jamieLD » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:21 pm

checking in.

submitted late oct, complete a few days later, and then UR in very early november. No change since then. applied ED... here's hoping we hear this week!

All Star

New

Post by All Star » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:13 pm

How does Penn view multiple LSAT scores? I looked on their website and saw that they consider all scores, however you can request that they place more weight on the higher score. I took December, and I know I didn't get Penn, or even a T14 quality score (think 160-2). I am now preparing for June and to apply next cycle, and now I am contemplating cancelling my December score. But, I have heard that cancelling accomplishes little these days as schools just normally take your higher score. Should I cancel my Decemeber score?

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:23 pm

All Star wrote:How does Penn view multiple LSAT scores? I looked on their website and saw that they consider all scores, however you can request that they place more weight on the higher score. I took December, and I know I didn't get Penn, or even a T14 quality score (think 160-2). I am now preparing for June and to apply next cycle, and now I am contemplating cancelling my December score. But, I have heard that cancelling accomplishes little these days as schools just normally take your higher score. Should I cancel my Decemeber score?
If you are shooting for HYS, sure. If not, it doesn't matter either way. They are going to look at the highest score so multiple scores won't hurt you.

All Star

New

Post by All Star » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:35 pm

The-Specs wrote:
All Star wrote:How does Penn view multiple LSAT scores? I looked on their website and saw that they consider all scores, however you can request that they place more weight on the higher score. I took December, and I know I didn't get Penn, or even a T14 quality score (think 160-2). I am now preparing for June and to apply next cycle, and now I am contemplating cancelling my December score. But, I have heard that cancelling accomplishes little these days as schools just normally take your higher score. Should I cancel my Decemeber score?
If you are shooting for HYS, sure. If not, it doesn't matter either way. They are going to look at the highest score so multiple scores won't hurt you.
As much as I would love to shoot for HYS, I know that I will most likely not get the 175+ that I need to get there, and my GPA is below median (3.75) for all of those. Thanks for the suggestion. Schools like Penn and its peers (Mich,Va,ect) will consider the highest score, right?

kek5250

Bronze

Post by kek5250 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:46 pm

All Star wrote:
The-Specs wrote:
As much as I would love to shoot for HYS, I know that I will most likely not get the 175+ that I need to get there, and my GPA is below median (3.75) for all of those. Thanks for the suggestion. Schools like Penn and its peers (Mich,Va,ect) will consider the highest score, right?
I'd honestly consider this a question for Penn admissions. I have called their office before for questions about their specific policies (about ED and financial aid) and they're really very receptive. If you have a question about what exactly they'll consider, they'll know better than we would.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jdapplicant

Bronze

Post by jdapplicant » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:06 pm

checking in

Bronze

Post by 05062014 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:11 pm

As someone who jumped 12 points on my final attempt, I think you should really be honest with yourself here. If you know that you underperformed badly, cancelling may be a good option. I wish I cancelled but hindsight is 20/20. Either way you go though, if you kill it in June, you'll be sitting relatively pretty. Focus on killing it on gameday regardless of what you decide to do. Simply do not regret cancelling or not cancelling. Goodluck

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:44 pm

Checking in.

kek5250

Bronze

Post by kek5250 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:15 pm

What do you guys think? Is today the day?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

andapieceoftoast

Bronze

Post by andapieceoftoast » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:18 pm

kek5250 wrote:What do you guys think? Is today the day?
When people are wondering if today is the day, are we talking ED or RD?

New

Post by 1948 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:34 pm

early decision. I'm guessing no because they seem to be playing with us

tpfennin

New

Post by tpfennin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:46 pm

1948 wrote:early decision. I'm guessing no because they seem to be playing with us

albs18

Bronze

Post by albs18 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:31 pm

Checking in.

Complete 12/6
Above 75th GPA
Between 25th and 50th LSAT
Above average softs
Non-URM

What's the sense about a "why penn" statement or comment in PS? How important is it to the application?

TYIA

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rt887

New

Post by Rt887 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:40 pm

UR2 as of today (12/11), RD

lawyerchick

New

Post by lawyerchick » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:42 pm

Rt887 wrote:UR2 as of today (12/11), RD
Maybe this movement means some people will hear back today? Is that too hopeful? I don't know how many more times I can refresh my email/status checker before I give myself an ulcer...

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:43 pm

It seems Penn is slow. Is this the norm for Penn?

kek5250

Bronze

Post by kek5250 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:59 pm

lawyerchick wrote:
Rt887 wrote:UR2 as of today (12/11), RD
Maybe this movement means some people will hear back today? Is that too hopeful? I don't know how many more times I can refresh my email/status checker before I give myself an ulcer...

I don't think today's the day for ED-ers. I called them this morning because I needed to change my address temporarily (my parents cancelled our mail to go on vacation until Sunday) and they told me they needed my email address or another contact method for the final decisions. That leads me to believe that we'll hear this week... but she didn't make it sound as though decisions were immediately forthcoming.

This appears to be about a week later than previous years, but there's no reason for us to believe that the last few years were the norm. In fact, if anything the last few years were hugely different for law schools. All the speculation seems unhelpful; we'll hear when we hear. I expect this week, but who really knows? Maybe they're out to replace our new years eve kisses with new years eve weeping! It's out of our hands!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thenewguy

New

Post by thenewguy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:04 pm

this. is. painful.

PREXPRESS

New

Post by PREXPRESS » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:42 pm

hi all,

checking in. applied ED. My guess towards the wait is that Penn is not content with the ED applicants relative to past years. I'm suspecting this because they've taken longer to get back, and while they've taken longer to get back, there's been a lot of action for RD review this week. They're probably not content with the ED pool, and therefore gauging the potential selection of RD thus far to see how these EDs compare.

On the other hand, they may have a very good ED pool, and are considering accepting more than they typically have in past years (around 15% of ED applicants are accepted in the past) and they want to make sure they're doing the right call by stacking them up against RD. Either way, something is distracting them and making them more cautious towards releasing ED decisions. As a cynic of the process, I believe the former explanation is likely accurate.

Good luck everyone!

gbelle

Bronze

Post by gbelle » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:57 pm

PREXPRESS wrote:hi all,

checking in. applied ED. My guess towards the wait is that Penn is not content with the ED applicants relative to past years. I'm suspecting this because they've taken longer to get back, and while they've taken longer to get back, there's been a lot of action for RD review this week. They're probably not content with the ED pool, and therefore gauging the potential selection of RD thus far to see how these EDs compare.

On the other hand, they may have a very good ED pool, and are considering accepting more than they typically have in past years (around 15% of ED applicants are accepted in the past) and they want to make sure they're doing the right call by stacking them up against RD. Either way, something is distracting them and making them more cautious towards releasing ED decisions. As a cynic of the process, I believe the former explanation is likely accurate.

Good luck everyone!
I'd actually say that this might be the case, based on my personal experience applying ED to NYU. I've counted 3 people on TLS that have been admitted. I was just deferred to RD.

PREXPRESS

New

Post by PREXPRESS » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:02 pm

gbelle wrote:

Good luck everyone!
I'd actually say that this might be the case, based on my personal experience applying ED to NYU. I've counted 3 people on TLS that have been admitted. I was just deferred to RD.

Wait, gbelle, you were just deferred to RD by NYU or Penn?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gbelle

Bronze

Post by gbelle » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:03 pm

PREXPRESS wrote:
gbelle wrote:

Good luck everyone!

ED->RD NYU So sorry for the confusion.

PREXPRESS

New

Post by PREXPRESS » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:06 pm

gbelle wrote:
PREXPRESS wrote:
gbelle wrote:

Good luck everyone!

ED->RD NYU So sorry for the confusion.
No bigs! Thanks for sharing. Alright welll...I have a feeling its going to be coming up soon guys...definitely very soon.

thestatusguo

Bronze

Post by thestatusguo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:30 pm

Didn't notice, but I am now:
Under Committee Review
Current Status Date: 12/3/2013

Complete mid October or so? RD.

ConLawNerd91

New

Post by ConLawNerd91 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:47 pm

Seat deposit showed up under the "fees" section of my status checker. Second UCR 12/10, RD. Does this mean anything or am I just getting my hopes up?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”