Notre Dame Law School c/o 2018 (2014-2015 applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
frank617
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:32 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby frank617 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:41 pm

yossarian71 wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:I got the "maximum and most competitive award" wording, and I'm above median GPA, above 75th LSAT. It could also correspond to the acceptance date, maybe they used one form letter for a while and then switched to another.


That's what I said, but Ricky Bobby got the "most competitive award" one in November. No one below either median has gotten the "competitive award" but I think AustinBound is >75, median GPA and got the same one I got "early 2014." (Full disclosure: I'm >75th LSAT but below 25th GPA, so I'm not surprised I didn't get the "competitive" one).


I'm right at their 25th GPA, but over their 75th. I got the same wording as you, and I'm curious to see if the >75th LSAT effect will outweigh our GPAs, since they took such a hit with that median last year. Obviously we're both getting some sort of merit, but anything in the ballpark of $20-25K would be incredible and pretty much seal the deal for me (I have no idea how unrealistic that estimate may be).
Last edited by frank617 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cannibal ox
Posts: 2935
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby cannibal ox » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:43 pm

Austinbound wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:I got the "maximum and most competitive award" wording, and I'm above median GPA, above 75th LSAT. It could also correspond to the acceptance date, maybe they used one form letter for a while and then switched to another.


That's what I said, but Ricky Bobby got the "most competitive award" one in November. No one below either median has gotten the "competitive award" but I think AustinBound is >75, median GPA and got the same one I got "early 2014." (Full disclosure: I'm >75th LSAT but below 25th GPA, so I'm not surprised I didn't get the "competitive" one).



>75th LSAT but <25th GPA. So who knows?? As long as its better than WUSTL's.... lol


Word.

User avatar
sandwich
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:11 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby sandwich » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:43 pm

yossarian71 wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:I got the "maximum and most competitive award" wording, and I'm above median GPA, above 75th LSAT. It could also correspond to the acceptance date, maybe they used one form letter for a while and then switched to another.


That's what I said, but Ricky Bobby got the "most competitive award" one in November. No one below either median has gotten the "competitive award" but I think AustinBound is >75, median GPA and got the same one I got "early 2014." (Full disclosure: I'm >75th LSAT but below 25th GPA, so I'm not surprised I didn't get the "competitive" one).



What are the different wordings exactly? I might be interpreting what you're saying incorrectly, but I am below 25th GPA, and my letter said "in order to make the maximum and most competitive award, we will determine the amount of scholarship in early 2014". My email had no mention of a scholarship. Got email/letter in early/mid december.

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby yossarian » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:47 pm

sandwich wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:I got the "maximum and most competitive award" wording, and I'm above median GPA, above 75th LSAT. It could also correspond to the acceptance date, maybe they used one form letter for a while and then switched to another.


That's what I said, but Ricky Bobby got the "most competitive award" one in November. No one below either median has gotten the "competitive award" but I think AustinBound is >75, median GPA and got the same one I got "early 2014." (Full disclosure: I'm >75th LSAT but below 25th GPA, so I'm not surprised I didn't get the "competitive" one).



What are the different wordings exactly? I might be interpreting what you're saying incorrectly, but I am below 25th GPA, and my letter said "in order to make the maximum and most competitive award, we will determine the amount of scholarship in early 2014". My email had no mention of a scholarship. Got email/letter in early/mid december.


You know what. I'm getting mixed up. I received the "maximum and most competitive award, we will determine the amount of scholarship in early 2014." It now seems all >75th LSAT but <25th GPA received this.

There is another though about ensuring ND will be the "most attractive option."

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby yossarian » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:48 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:I don't know about you guys, but my admit email said "You are an outstanding candidate and we intend to make Notre Dame Law School the most attractive option available to you." To me, that sounds like they're getting ready to make it rain this year.

User avatar
jk148706
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby jk148706 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:55 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
Austinbound wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:I got the "maximum and most competitive award" wording, and I'm above median GPA, above 75th LSAT. It could also correspond to the acceptance date, maybe they used one form letter for a while and then switched to another.


That's what I said, but Ricky Bobby got the "most competitive award" one in November. No one below either median has gotten the "competitive award" but I think AustinBound is >75, median GPA and got the same one I got "early 2014." (Full disclosure: I'm >75th LSAT but below 25th GPA, so I'm not surprised I didn't get the "competitive" one).



>75th LSAT but <25th GPA. So who knows?? As long as its better than WUSTL's.... lol


Word.


+1

User avatar
bound
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:49 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby bound » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:57 pm

If the school can afford a $400million expansion to their football stadium, they can afford to give 20 grand a year.


help i'm poor

hopeful 0L
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:15 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby hopeful 0L » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:00 pm

Just noticed that my current status date has changed to today, 2/10 (I submitted 1/31 and may have had one more date change but I'm not sure). Could this mean that a decision is coming soon?

Also, does anybody in line for scholly mind sharing their stats?

Thanks and good luck

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby yossarian » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:03 pm

hopeful 0L wrote:Just noticed that my current status date has changed to today, 2/10 (I submitted 1/31 and may have had one more date change but I'm not sure). Could this mean that a decision is coming soon?

Also, does anybody in line for scholly mind sharing their stats?

Thanks and good luck


Several of us just shared our relation to medians and quartiles. Again, I'm >75th LSAT, <25th GPA.

User avatar
sandwich
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:11 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby sandwich » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:07 pm

yossarian71 wrote:
You know what. I'm getting mixed up. I received the "maximum and most competitive award, we will determine the amount of scholarship in early 2014." It now seems all >75th LSAT but <25th GPA received this.

There is another though about ensuring ND will be the "most attractive option."



Yup, that's me then :) Definitely didn't get the "most attractive option" bit. Thanks for clearing that up!


So again, since we're all relisting stats, I'm <25th GPA and >75th LSAT

kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby kobe1020 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:08 pm

sandwich wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:
You know what. I'm getting mixed up. I received the "maximum and most competitive award, we will determine the amount of scholarship in early 2014." It now seems all >75th LSAT but <25th GPA received this.

There is another though about ensuring ND will be the "most attractive option."



Yup, that's me then :) Definitely didn't get the "most attractive option" bit. Thanks for clearing that up!


So again, since we're all relisting stats, I'm <25th GPA and >75th LSAT


above 75th LSAT and an intl GPA (above average). Looking forward to seeing my acceptance mail and what exactly they wrote on it..

User avatar
brrrrcat
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:30 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby brrrrcat » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:28 pm

Just out of curiousity, for those of you whose applications were processed pretty quickly, did you submit the fast track app or the regular LSAC app?

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby yossarian » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:32 pm

brrrrcat wrote:Just out of curiousity, for those of you whose applications were processed pretty quickly, did you submit the fast track app or the regular LSAC app?


Great question. I have no idea why I had such an awesome turnaround. I hope ND just loves me to pieces. I applied LSAC and waited less than two weeks from app submitted to acceptance. (Note, <25th GPA). The quicker turnarounds seem to be slowing down though, as they are getting more methodical about filling their class.

km34
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:45 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby km34 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:34 pm

brrrrcat wrote:Just out of curiousity, for those of you whose applications were processed pretty quickly, did you submit the fast track app or the regular LSAC app?



I applied via fast track...I started the application process in November but did not submit everything until January. I had my acceptance in less than a month. Hope that helps!

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby kyle010723 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:52 am

Austinbound wrote:>75th LSAT but <25th GPA. So who knows?? As long as its better than WUSTL's.... lol


I wouldn't get your hope up, WUSTL is known to make it rain, even if ND is more aggressive this year, I don't see that happening. And honestly, I don't think ND should sell itself base solely on money. I.e. Students shouldn't want to come here solely because of the best money, while I know that is counterintuitive on TLS, it has so much more to offer that it doesn't need to give everyone a full ride. If ND ever matches WUSTL on money, that would make the decision too easy. Lol
Last edited by kyle010723 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jk148706
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby jk148706 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:55 am

kyle010723 wrote:
Austinbound wrote:>75th LSAT but <25th GPA. So who knows?? As long as its better than WUSTL's.... lol


I wouldn't get your hope up, WUSTL is known to make it rain, even if ND is more aggressive this year, I don't see that happening.


Some of us have already seen very underwhelming offers from WUSTL, which I think is being referenced here. I don't expect ND to give out huge $, but definitely more than WUSTL (in my particular case)

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby kyle010723 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:59 am

jk148706 wrote:Some of us have already seen very underwhelming offers from WUSTL, which I think is being referenced here. I don't expect ND to give out huge $, but definitely more than WUSTL (in my particular case)


Hmmm, interesting, I wonder if they are just expecting people to negotiate.

User avatar
jk148706
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby jk148706 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:00 am

kyle010723 wrote:
jk148706 wrote:Some of us have already seen very underwhelming offers from WUSTL, which I think is being referenced here. I don't expect ND to give out huge $, but definitely more than WUSTL (in my particular case)


Hmmm, interesting, I wonder if they are just expecting people to negotiate.


I'm not sure, but many WUSTL applicants did not receive the $ they expected. In fact, they offered me less than any other school so far, especially when you compare COA to the scholarship total.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby kyle010723 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:04 am

jk148706 wrote:I'm not sure, but many WUSTL applicants did not receive the $ they expected. In fact, they offered me less than any other school so far, especially when you compare COA to the scholarship total.


I doubt they're running dry, maybe they're just taking a different approach this year after the last-stand effort to maintain their number last year (which they did pull it off spectacularly).

ND managed to bring their former dean of admission on aboard, whether that would have any impact on ND's admission policy is yet to be determined.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:06 am

Austinbound wrote:If the school can afford a $400million expansion to their football stadium, they can afford to give 20 grand a year.


help i'm poor


Wish it worked like that haha, that football money comes from a separate fund for sure.

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby yossarian » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:31 am

ND and WUSTL both know they are in a bidding war, and neither one of them wants to be in it. Kyle is right, ND doesn't want to sell itself. Frankly, despite last year, I'm sure WUSTL doesn't either. They both want their schools to speak more loudly than their endowments.

I'm not trying to call anyone out as I feel similarly. It's hard to make a decision based on anything other than money when there are two schools with similar regional impacts who place similarly, offer excellent opportunities, and whose admission staffs have both been exceptionally welcoming.

But, I'm a little uncomfortable with all the talk on here about it. It's the school you are going to live at for three years and have on your resume (and your firm's associate partner page) for life. Reducing the talk to money has to be so discouraging for these adcomms as they read through the thread. They offer a lot more than that.

By all means, we all need to make the best financial decision and secure the best offer we can. But, we could maybe stop sounding quite so entitled.

Again, no judgment. The people on ND and WUSTL threads are my favorite TLSers, and I care about the money too.

mx23250
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby mx23250 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:13 am

yossarian71 wrote:ND and WUSTL both know they are in a bidding war, and neither one of them wants to be in it. Kyle is right, ND doesn't want to sell itself. Frankly, despite last year, I'm sure WUSTL doesn't either. They both want their schools to speak more loudly than their endowments.

I'm not trying to call anyone out as I feel similarly. It's hard to make a decision based on anything other than money when there are two schools with similar regional impacts who place similarly, offer excellent opportunities, and whose admission staffs have both been exceptionally welcoming.

But, I'm a little uncomfortable with all the talk on here about it. It's the school you are going to live at for three years and have on your resume (and your firm's associate partner page) for life. Reducing the talk to money has to be so discouraging for these adcomms as they read through the thread. They offer a lot more than that.

By all means, we all need to make the best financial decision and secure the best offer we can. But, we could maybe stop sounding quite so entitled.

Again, no judgment. The people on ND and WUSTL threads are my favorite TLSers, and I care about the money too.


Well put. I completely agree with you there.

cmilleruni
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:13 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby cmilleruni » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:21 am

I applied 1/14, complete 1/17, and complete again 1/24

I've got a 168 and a GPA that's an eyelash below 3.0

I'm really really interested in ND but get more worried as each day passes without an acceptance. Is there something that I should do to let them know that I am still very interested?

User avatar
bound
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:49 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby bound » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:23 am

yossarian71 wrote:ND and WUSTL both know they are in a bidding war, and neither one of them wants to be in it. Kyle is right, ND doesn't want to sell itself. Frankly, despite last year, I'm sure WUSTL doesn't either. They both want their schools to speak more loudly than their endowments.

I'm not trying to call anyone out as I feel similarly. It's hard to make a decision based on anything other than money when there are two schools with similar regional impacts who place similarly, offer excellent opportunities, and whose admission staffs have both been exceptionally welcoming.

But, I'm a little uncomfortable with all the talk on here about it. It's the school you are going to live at for three years and have on your resume (and your firm's associate partner page) for life. Reducing the talk to money has to be so discouraging for these adcomms as they read through the thread. They offer a lot more than that.

By all means, we all need to make the best financial decision and secure the best offer we can. But, we could maybe stop sounding quite so entitled.

Again, no judgment. The people on ND and WUSTL threads are my favorite TLSers, and I care about the money too.



I definitely agree with you. It isn't all about money for me and I apologize if I gave off that impression. I am extremely debt averse. Like the thought of being 100k+ in debt is enough to make me vomit, debt averse. It's a huge factor for me. That being said, I would have never applied to ND if I had no true interest in it. It's an amazing University. I was born and raised Catholic, and there is something very comforting about returning to a Catholic school classroom after spending the last four years away at a public university. And as a college athlete, it's always been a dream to go to a school like ND. It's a great fit for me money aside. But we all have to be realistic here, and I know deep down that I would never be able to afford a school like ND (or any school for that matter - I probably wouldn't even go to Harvard for six figure debt) if I didn't receive a decent scholarship.

User avatar
jk148706
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby jk148706 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:26 am

yossarian71 wrote:Reducing the talk to money has to be so discouraging for these adcomms as they read through the thread. They offer a lot more than that.


Is this for real a concern? That you might discourage adcomms from schools that cost upwards of $200,000+ and give you just better than a coin flip's chance of securing good legal employment?

yossarian71 wrote:But, we could maybe stop sounding quite so entitled.


I don't think anyone feels she/he is entitled. It's more just disappointed if an offer is underwhelming. A lot of us worked really hard to put together a competitive application in hopes of earning a good scholarship. It's simply disappointing and a let down when you don't get one, precisely because you WANT to attend those schools.

ETA: and who knows...ND may come through in a big way. I know I am definitely still interested in attending.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blackpi, PrezRand, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests