Notre Dame Law School c/o 2018 (2014-2015 applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Bond
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:37 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Bond » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:49 pm

Kanye West wrote:It's not that I'm changing career goals based on the school, just that if be happy with either outcome, and those schools are the best options for those career options. Though, being in gov. /judge is something I'd want atad more, but I wouldn't regret not doing it.

I wonder if you could speak for where the students generally place in the states. LST mentions Illinois (Chicago, as you mentioned), but Cali. and NY also seem to place decent. Where do most clerkships happen, and do you know of any ND grads that have actually "made" it in Cali/NY? Thanks for the input.

On a side note, at what price/debt would you conside ND worth it. Been hearing several varying opinions on this.

Chicago is definitely the main destination for graduates. This is partly due to our proximity to Chicago, and also the fact that much of our student body is from Illinois and / or desires to be in Chicago post-graduation. We also have a significant number of students from California, which is why that number is likely high. Few California firms come to OCI, however, so that will likely require more networking. The same goes for New York and Washington, DC. To be honest, few of our students desire to be in New York (which, coincidentally, is likely one of the easiest markets to break into). DC is doable, but you need to be near the top of the class. Chicago and secondary Midwest markets are very attainable with some degree of a tie and being at or around the top-third of the class (probably even a little lower the past two years).

Federal clerkships happen all across the country and geography is much less (or not at all) important. It is also something you have next to zero control over.

The price / debt question is difficult to answer. I am extremely risk-averse, so part of what brought me to Notre Dame was the financial aid that I was awarded. I think anything less than or around $100,000 is doable at the upward bound, provided that you do fairly well. I would not assume much more debt than that, but opinions likely do vary.

ls23
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby ls23 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:02 pm

Hey everyone! Glad you guys are considering or decided on Notre Dame Law School. I am currently a 1L here and am taking any questions you may have to supplement the great help Bond has already been on this thread. Additionally, I am not a Catholic or a conservative so if any of you have questions related to either of those things I would be more than happy to answer those as well. Post here or PM me, and I hope to see a lot of you here in the fall!

lunalovegood2357
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:53 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby lunalovegood2357 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:22 pm

for everyone who didn't get an acceptance email after the 3/5 decision made update, has anyone gotten their waitlist/rejection letter in the mail yet?

dkh
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:05 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby dkh » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:57 pm

New rankings out: Notre Dame at #26

User avatar
Kanye West
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Kanye West » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:06 pm

Bond wrote:
Kanye West wrote:It's not that I'm changing career goals based on the school, just that if be happy with either outcome, and those schools are the best options for those career options. Though, being in gov. /judge is something I'd want atad more, but I wouldn't regret not doing it.

I wonder if you could speak for where the students generally place in the states. LST mentions Illinois (Chicago, as you mentioned), but Cali. and NY also seem to place decent. Where do most clerkships happen, and do you know of any ND grads that have actually "made" it in Cali/NY? Thanks for the input.

On a side note, at what price/debt would you conside ND worth it. Been hearing several varying opinions on this.

Chicago is definitely the main destination for graduates. This is partly due to our proximity to Chicago, and also the fact that much of our student body is from Illinois and / or desires to be in Chicago post-graduation. We also have a significant number of students from California, which is why that number is likely high. Few California firms come to OCI, however, so that will likely require more networking. The same goes for New York and Washington, DC. To be honest, few of our students desire to be in New York (which, coincidentally, is likely one of the easiest markets to break into). DC is doable, but you need to be near the top of the class. Chicago and secondary Midwest markets are very attainable with some degree of a tie and being at or around the top-third of the class (probably even a little lower the past two years).

Federal clerkships happen all across the country and geography is much less (or not at all) important. It is also something you have next to zero control over.

The price / debt question is difficult to answer. I am extremely risk-averse, so part of what brought me to Notre Dame was the financial aid that I was awarded. I think anything less than or around $100,000 is doable at the upward bound, provided that you do fairly well. I would not assume much more debt than that, but opinions likely do vary.


That's nice to hear about NY, but curious why you believe one of the easier markets to get into? Also, with my eye toward clerkships, is ND a huge clerkship gunning madhouse, or does it seem that those who want it (and hustle for it) are able to get them? On a scale of kumbaya to gunner, what would you rate the student body?

I've gotten acceptances from 10+ schools, but the most correspondence (since admittance) has been from ND. I'm sure i'm not the only one, but I opened my mailbox to 2 letters: one from an alumni and another from a 2L just saying hi. Alumni is a judge, so seeing a "Courthouse" addressed letter did +1 ND for me.

It's the little things...

laballermvp9
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:58 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby laballermvp9 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:24 pm

lunalovegood2357 wrote:for everyone who didn't get an acceptance email after the 3/5 decision made update, has anyone gotten their waitlist/rejection letter in the mail yet?


Would like to know this as well. I got the 3/5 decision made update but I haven't received my waitlist/rejection letter yet.

laballermvp9
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:58 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby laballermvp9 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:24 pm

dkh wrote:New rankings out: Notre Dame at #26


Do you have a link for the new rankings?

SparkyZZZ
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby SparkyZZZ » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:26 pm

dkh wrote:New rankings out: Notre Dame at #26


It could be worse. Considering that they didn't seem to do anything drastic like chop class size (like U of Iowa) or make it rain scholarships last year, a small drop was to be expected. I'll be interested to see how aggressive they are next year.

Does anyone know when the next ATL rankings come out?

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby yossarian » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:02 pm

Kanye West wrote:Why is NY easy to break something or other


NY is the least ties oriented and also the largest legal market. It is therefore easier for someone to get NY than any other city to which they do not have ties.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2831
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby haus » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:05 pm

laballermvp9 wrote:
dkh wrote:New rankings out: Notre Dame at #26


Do you have a link for the new rankings?

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/2014-u ... h-changes/

User avatar
Ditka747
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:02 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Ditka747 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:58 pm

Waitlisted...wa wa

laballermvp9
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:58 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby laballermvp9 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:57 pm

Rejected today via snail mail. Not surprised considering my numbers but best of luck to everyone who's still waiting this cycle!

Mitchellcar
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Mitchellcar » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:34 am

laballermvp9 wrote:Rejected today via snail mail. Not surprised considering my numbers but best of luck to everyone who's still waiting this cycle!
Ditka747 wrote:Waitlisted...wa wa

I still have yet to get my rejection/waitlist.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby chuckbass » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:24 am

Ditka747 wrote:Waitlisted...wa wa

Sorry bro (clearly meant to come to wustl)

CJ2017
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:55 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby CJ2017 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:59 pm

I am accepted to ND but now slightly concerned about their drop to 26th and William and Mary's (who I am also accepted to) gain of 9 (can anyone explain this?) spots to 23. Do rankings even matter outside of the T14? It seems like the ranks are too volatile to actually cite as a reason for attending a school...

Also, what do people think about using this drop as a mechanism for negotiating scholarships? I received two nice scholarships from W&M and BU, but nothing from ND...

User avatar
John Everyman
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby John Everyman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:05 pm

CJ2017 wrote:I am accepted to ND but now slightly concerned about their drop to 26th and William and Mary's (who I am also accepted to) gain of 9 (can anyone explain this?) spots to 23. Do rankings even matter outside of the T14? It seems like the ranks are too volatile to actually cite as a reason for attending a school...


Their drop should only encourage you to negotiate harder for more cash. Use it against them if possible. Notre Dame's reputation exists primarily based off successful graduates, not a spot on USNWR. Notre Dame graduates seem to regularly outperformed other similarly ranked schools, which I think says something (we all know what it says) about the rankings.

lawskewl13
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:25 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby lawskewl13 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:16 pm

What do people think about trying to negotiate without another offer? I was originally planning on using my $30k from W&L but now that seems like it won't have very much pull. If I'm honest and say that ND is by far my first choice and I really want to go but just cannot afford it, do you think they'll budge?

CJ2017
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:55 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby CJ2017 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:17 pm

John Everyman wrote:
CJ2017 wrote:I am accepted to ND but now slightly concerned about their drop to 26th and William and Mary's (who I am also accepted to) gain of 9 (can anyone explain this?) spots to 23. Do rankings even matter outside of the T14? It seems like the ranks are too volatile to actually cite as a reason for attending a school...


Their drop should only encourage you to negotiate harder for more cash. Use it against them if possible. Notre Dame's reputation exists primarily based off successful graduates, not a spot on USNWR. Notre Dame graduates seem to regularly outperformed other similarly ranked schools, which I think says something (we all know what it says) about the rankings.


Good point. Any suggestions of the best strategy to take when negotiating?

dkh
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:05 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby dkh » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:18 pm

Any thoughts on the significance of the ATL rankings?

palbatron
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:23 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby palbatron » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:23 pm

Interested in who people are emailing for negotiations...the general admissions email, or specific people like Bolland or LeFleur?

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3401
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:24 pm

Anyone had any success/failures with negotiating? Finally received some offers to work with.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3401
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:26 pm

CJ2017 wrote:I am accepted to ND but now slightly concerned about their drop to 26th and William and Mary's (who I am also accepted to) gain of 9 (can anyone explain this?) spots to 23. Do rankings even matter outside of the T14? It seems like the ranks are too volatile to actually cite as a reason for attending a school...

Also, what do people think about using this drop as a mechanism for negotiating scholarships? I received two nice scholarships from W&M and BU, but nothing from ND...


Rankings are bullshit, bro. ND's big law rate is up to 28%. Their full time bar passaged required job rate is now up to 71%. Highest numbers in years.

CJ2017
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:55 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby CJ2017 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:21 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
CJ2017 wrote:I am accepted to ND but now slightly concerned about their drop to 26th and William and Mary's (who I am also accepted to) gain of 9 (can anyone explain this?) spots to 23. Do rankings even matter outside of the T14? It seems like the ranks are too volatile to actually cite as a reason for attending a school...

Also, what do people think about using this drop as a mechanism for negotiating scholarships? I received two nice scholarships from W&M and BU, but nothing from ND...


Rankings are bullshit, bro. ND's big law rate is up to 28%. Their full time bar passaged required job rate is now up to 71%. Highest numbers in years.


Great news. My momentary freak out has passed. Are you going to try negotiating through email? I am going to the ASW so I am wondering if negotiation in person is a good or bad idea...

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby PattyCake » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:51 pm

Just had my first date change since I went complete. How many date changes have others had before a decision was rendered?

magjag
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:04 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby magjag » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:25 pm

PattyCake wrote:Just had my first date change since I went complete. How many date changes have others had before a decision was rendered?


I think they say 6-8 weeks total since first complete (i.e. that is the first time it goes into review).
I was waiting and waiting since mid feb and getting annoyed, but I have now found my zen and totally dont care.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”