Notre Dame Law School c/o 2018 (2014-2015 applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pauly_biegler

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby pauly_biegler » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:28 pm

magjag wrote:
knope34 wrote:
pauly_biegler wrote:3/6 decision made…no deposit numbers. this is a wait list or rejection, correct?

Unfortunately that's the consensus here :( hopefully a wait list though!

nothing here even today.

Don't fret then you may stilll be alive! I'll let you folks know when I hear either way.

CJ2017

Postby CJ2017 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:31 pm

knope34 wrote:I know this has been addressed somewhat before, but in the context of negotiating scholarships how have people been starting? Do you just send an email to the adcomms stating that you would like to make ND a top choice, etc etc and then attach copies of other offers? I just feel like this is a sensitive topic and wouldn't want to seem ungrateful. Although I guess the worst they could say is no... 8)

+1. I am curious about this too

Mitchellcar

Postby Mitchellcar » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:44 pm

decision made with no seat deposit numbers. Oh well.

magjag

Postby magjag » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:58 pm

Mitchellcar wrote:decision made with no seat deposit numbers. Oh well.

oh so sorry to hear that. did it update today?

Mitchellcar

Postby Mitchellcar » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:59 pm

magjag wrote:
Mitchellcar wrote:decision made with no seat deposit numbers. Oh well.

oh so sorry to hear that. did it update today?

Yea update 3/6. Good Luck!

mx23250

Postby mx23250 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:39 pm

ND has some pretty nice employment stats for the class of 2013. For those of you who didn't receive the emailed newsletter minutes ago, you can check out the PDF on ND's employment statistics website. Overall % employed went up and the # of grads at 501+ attorney firms went up 50% (from 18 in 2012 to 27 in 2013). Not a bad trend...hopefully this continues.

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:48 pm

mx23250 wrote:ND has some pretty nice employment stats for the class of 2013. For those of you who didn't receive the emailed newsletter minutes ago, you can check out the PDF on ND's employment statistics website. Overall % employed went up and the # of grads at 501+ attorney firms went up 50% (from 18 in 2012 to 27 in 2013). Not a bad trend...hopefully this continues.

+1. I think my biggest reservation with ND is the conservatism that seems embedded in their culture. Their clerkship numbers are decent for a non T14 but I've read current students say that the majority of those go to conservative benches. Also, the Supreme Court clerkship placements are nice but they are with Roberts/Alito. For a student like myself, I'm not sure I can consider ND with their clerkship numbers in mind. So then I'm just left with biglaw numbers and eh.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:01 pm

mx23250 wrote:ND has some pretty nice employment stats for the class of 2013. For those of you who didn't receive the emailed newsletter minutes ago, you can check out the PDF on ND's employment statistics website. Overall % employed went up and the # of grads at 501+ attorney firms went up 50% (from 18 in 2012 to 27 in 2013). Not a bad trend...hopefully this continues.

Just looked at the PDF. Wow, this is big news.

Assuming 100+ attorney firm = big law (that's the stat that LST uses), that's 28.2% big law. It was 22.4% last year.

Full time long term bar passage required = 71.7% (with only 2 of those students in employment that was school funded). That's up from the 64.3% from last year.

Bond

Postby Bond » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:00 pm

I am a current 2L at Notre Dame and am happy to answer any questions.

Kanye West

Postby Kanye West » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:04 pm

Bond wrote:I am a current 2L at Notre Dame and am happy to answer any questions.

I know they're not known for the most generous schollies, but I am looking into government law and their clerkship rate seems pretty stellar. Basically, is the cost worth it if I'm looking for that type of work, or should I seek help and go to warmer climates.

Bond

Postby Bond » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:43 pm

Kanye West wrote:
Bond wrote:I am a current 2L at Notre Dame and am happy to answer any questions.

I know they're not known for the most generous schollies, but I am looking into government law and their clerkship rate seems pretty stellar. Basically, is the cost worth it if I'm looking for that type of work, or should I seek help and go to warmer climates.

Our Article III clerkship rate is quite good in comparison to our peer schools. I see from the pdf posted above that we had 11 for the Class of 2013. The current 3Ls (Class of 2014) will have around 19. The rate varies somewhat each year due to the composition and interests of each class. My year (2015) is less interested in clerkships and will likely have a lower number.

In any case, attending sticker at Notre Dame is not a wise idea regardless of your career interests. What are your options?

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:50 pm

How conservative is the student body? Is it true that most clerkships are with conservative benches?

Bond

Postby Bond » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:06 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:

How conservative is the student body? Is it true that most clerkships are with conservative benches?

Fairly conservative. The faculty is very conservative in relation to other top law schools.

It is true that most clerkships are with conservative judges; however, this is more a function of the faculty having connections with those judges than the student body being conservative.

Kanye West

Postby Kanye West » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:14 pm

Bond wrote:
Kanye West wrote:

Our Article III clerkship rate is quite good in comparison to our peer schools. I see from the pdf posted above that we had 11 for the Class of 2013. The current 3Ls (Class of 2014) will have around 19. The rate varies somewhat each year due to the composition and interests of each class. My year (2015) is less interested in clerkships and will likely have a lower number.

In any case, attending sticker at Notre Dame is not a wise idea regardless of your career interests. What are your options?

I have ties to FL, but have no reason to go back. One tie in Atlanta. It's between ND and Emory right now. If I went to Emory, I'd do transactional law, but it'd be a bit more expensive than ND. If I went ND, I'd aim for clerkship and (prays) appellete court one day. They're both giving 20-30k/yr schollies, so I'm hitting up ASW for both to get a feel for it. Any opinions?

Mitchellcar

Postby Mitchellcar » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:25 pm

I got my decsion made on my status checker yesterday but didn't recieve any email today. Usually people have been getting their email the day after their decsion is made right?

laballermvp9

Postby laballermvp9 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:39 pm

Mitchellcar wrote:I got my decsion made on my status checker yesterday but didn't recieve any email today. Usually people have been getting their email the day after their decsion is made right?

I believe the only people who get an email the next day are the ones who've been accepted. You should get your decision by snail mail in the next few days. I'm in the same position as you (expecting to receive a waitlist/reject letter).

Mitchellcar

Postby Mitchellcar » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:41 pm

laballermvp9 wrote:
Mitchellcar wrote:I got my decsion made on my status checker yesterday but didn't recieve any email today. Usually people have been getting their email the day after their decsion is made right?

I believe the only people who get an email the next day are the ones who've been accepted. You should get your decision by snail mail in the next few days. I'm in the same position as you (expecting to receive a waitlist/reject letter).

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

TirantMartorell

Postby TirantMartorell » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:37 am

Bond wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:

Fairly conservative. The faculty is very conservative in relation to other top law schools.

It is true that most clerkships are with conservative judges; however, this is more a function of the faculty having connections with those judges than the student body being conservative.

The faculty is more conservative than at other top law schools and the students are probably more conservative as well. But there are many students who are liberal or apolitical. However, since the faculty is more conservative, conservative students feel more comfortable expressing their views in class than liberal students.

Bond

Postby Bond » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:48 am

Kanye West wrote:
Bond wrote:
Kanye West wrote:

I have ties to FL, but have no reason to go back. One tie in Atlanta. It's between ND and Emory right now. If I went to Emory, I'd do transactional law, but it'd be a bit more expensive than ND. If I went ND, I'd aim for clerkship and (prays) appellete court one day. They're both giving 20-30k/yr schollies, so I'm hitting up ASW for both to get a feel for it. Any opinions?

Notre Dame with more money is objectively the better option than Emory. I wouldn't change your career goals based upon if you go to ND or Emory. Focus on doing well 1L year and then evaluate your opportunities. It's certainly possible to break into Atlanta from ND, but I believe Atlanta's legal market is fairly small. If you want to work in Chicago, ND also opens that possibility.

Kanye West

Postby Kanye West » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:40 pm

Bond wrote:
Kanye West wrote:
Bond wrote:
Kanye West wrote:

Notre Dame with more money is objectively the better option than Emory. I wouldn't change your career goals based upon if you go to ND or Emory. Focus on doing well 1L year and then evaluate your opportunities. It's certainly possible to break into Atlanta from ND, but I believe Atlanta's legal market is fairly small. If you want to work in Chicago, ND also opens that possibility.

It's not that I'm changing career goals based on the school, just that if be happy with either outcome, and those schools are the best options for those career options. Though, being in gov. /judge is something I'd want atad more, but I wouldn't regret not doing it.

I wonder if you could speak for where the students generally place in the states. LST mentions Illinois (Chicago, as you mentioned), but Cali. and NY also seem to place decent. Where do most clerkships happen, and do you know of any ND grads that have actually "made" it in Cali/NY? Thanks for the input.

On a side note, at what price/debt would you conside ND worth it. Been hearing several varying opinions on this.

SparkyZZZ

Postby SparkyZZZ » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:52 am

Quick question, now that merits have been sent; does anyone know when ND notifies applicants of need-based scholarships?

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:04 am

Kanye West wrote:On a side note, at what price/debt would you conside ND worth it. Been hearing several varying opinions on this.

Such an interesting question and one I'm struggling w/ too. Remembering that ND has had a scholly cap of $75k in the past, it would appear there are many (if not all) students who feel that ND is worth $150k+. A 30% shot at biglaw/AIII is solid, but scary at >$100k to me. That said, I would be really happy with a # of non-biglaw outcomes so long as the debt is serviceable. Tough decision for sure.

Kanye West

Postby Kanye West » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:35 am

yossarian71 wrote:
Kanye West wrote:On a side note, at what price/debt would you conside ND worth it. Been hearing several varying opinions on this.

Such an interesting question and one I'm struggling w/ too. Remembering that ND has had a scholly cap of $75k in the past, it would appear there are many (if not all) students who feel that ND is worth $150k+. A 30% shot at biglaw/AIII is solid, but scary at >$100k to me. That said, I would be really happy with a # of non-biglaw outcomes so long as the debt is serviceable. Tough decision for sure.

The only reason I would barely agree with that $150+ debt burden is because ND has a stronger clerkship rate than most peers, and it is the field I'd go for. If not, I'd look elsewhere.

I also like the 10% Cali/ 12% Illinois / 6% NY placement LST shows. Seems to have a bit more than traditional/local reach, which (in my opinion) is worth something.

RollingthruLawSchool

Postby RollingthruLawSchool » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:42 pm

SparkyZZZ wrote:Quick question, now that merits have been sent; does anyone know when ND notifies applicants of need-based scholarships?

I was told late March. Probably after admitted students weekend so they have a feel for who is actually interested in attending.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:43 pm

Kanye West wrote:I also like the 10% Cali/ 12% Illinois / 6% NY placement LST shows. Seems to have a bit more than traditional/local reach, which (in my opinion) is worth something.

I agree to a point. I think ND is a destination school. NY and Chi are maybe less ties oriented, but I would think its other 'national' placements are people leaving their region for ND and then coming back.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”