Notre Dame Law School c/o 2018 (2014-2015 applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby kobe1020 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:12 pm

Austinbound wrote:$20K/yr. Feeling kinda meh about the amount but, hey, it's better than no money, that's for sure!


on the same boat...so underwhelmed..ND is stingier than i thought..

but just looked up their 509 report it shows only 7.2% people get more than half of tuition so...

still. meh

RollingthruLawSchool
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:02 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby RollingthruLawSchool » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:53 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:I had no idea tuition is now at 50k. Wtf...


it is a little disconcerting that tuition went up over $4500 in a year and the cost of attending Notre Dame is only $2000 less than Yale. I wonder how they will justify that sticker price if they have another graduating class with 13% unemployment; that doesn't happen at Yale.

User avatar
AceDeuces
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby AceDeuces » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:34 pm

kobe1020 wrote:
Austinbound wrote:$20K/yr. Feeling kinda meh about the amount but, hey, it's better than no money, that's for sure!


on the same boat...so underwhelmed..ND is stingier than i thought..

but just looked up their 509 report it shows only 7.2% people get more than half of tuition so...

still. meh


I'd bet that they expect a lot of people to negotiate higher, but offer low so they can get a feel for the market. I am a tad disappointed with 30K/yr myself.

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby yossarian » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:35 pm

RollingthruLawSchool wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:I had no idea tuition is now at 50k. Wtf...


it is a little disconcerting that tuition went up over $4500 in a year and the cost of attending Notre Dame is only $2000 less than Yale. I wonder how they will justify that sticker price if they have another graduating class with 13% unemployment; that doesn't happen at Yale.


I mean, I agree that sticker is outrageous, but I don't know there is any sense comparing it to YLS. All t20's have near the same sticker. And T1's are close unless in-state.

RollingthruLawSchool
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:02 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby RollingthruLawSchool » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:44 pm

yossarian71 wrote:
RollingthruLawSchool wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:I had no idea tuition is now at 50k. Wtf...


it is a little disconcerting that tuition went up over $4500 in a year and the cost of attending Notre Dame is only $2000 less than Yale. I wonder how they will justify that sticker price if they have another graduating class with 13% unemployment; that doesn't happen at Yale.


I mean, I agree that sticker is outrageous, but I don't know there is any sense comparing it to YLS. All t20's have near the same sticker. And T1's are close unless in-state.


the reason I compared it to Yale is exactly because it is nowhere near as elite as Yale and therefore I think has a hard time justifying the $50k. A school's tuition should not be going up when its unemployment rate is 13%-- especially not by an amount roughly equivalent to one semester's tuition at my school (15 credit hours)
Last edited by RollingthruLawSchool on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby kobe1020 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:45 pm

AceDeuces wrote:
kobe1020 wrote:
Austinbound wrote:$20K/yr. Feeling kinda meh about the amount but, hey, it's better than no money, that's for sure!


on the same boat...so underwhelmed..ND is stingier than i thought..

but just looked up their 509 report it shows only 7.2% people get more than half of tuition so...

still. meh


I'd bet that they expect a lot of people to negotiate higher, but offer low so they can get a feel for the market. I am a tad disappointed with 30K/yr myself.


they seemed like to get inspired by WUSTL to low-ball this year's applicants

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby yossarian » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:54 pm

kobe1020 wrote:
AceDeuces wrote:
kobe1020 wrote:
Austinbound wrote:$20K/yr. Feeling kinda meh about the amount but, hey, it's better than no money, that's for sure!


on the same boat...so underwhelmed..ND is stingier than i thought..

but just looked up their 509 report it shows only 7.2% people get more than half of tuition so...

still. meh


I'd bet that they expect a lot of people to negotiate higher, but offer low so they can get a feel for the market. I am a tad disappointed with 30K/yr myself.


they seemed like to get inspired by WUSTL to low-ball this year's applicants


I mean they have had a cap of $25k/year in cycles past, so I wouldn't call this low-balling. I agree some very qualified candidates aren't getting the offers they should, but this is a huge step for ND.

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby yossarian » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:58 pm

RollingthruLawSchool wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:
RollingthruLawSchool wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:I had no idea tuition is now at 50k. Wtf...


it is a little disconcerting that tuition went up over $4500 in a year and the cost of attending Notre Dame is only $2000 less than Yale. I wonder how they will justify that sticker price if they have another graduating class with 13% unemployment; that doesn't happen at Yale.


I mean, I agree that sticker is outrageous, but I don't know there is any sense comparing it to YLS. All t20's have near the same sticker. And T1's are close unless in-state.


the reason I compared it to Yale is exactly because it is nowhere near as elite as Yale and therefore I think has a hard time justifying the $50k. A school's tuition should not be going up when its unemployment rate is 13%-- especially not by an amount roughly equivalent to one semester's tuition at my school (15 credit hours)


Definitely hear ya. Law school is too expensive period. And about 100 law schools should be shut down, while another 90 should reduce their price.. But we are the idiots who keep paying for it, so they can keep charging.

Cuz you know, Harvey Specter is cool and grandma likes to talk about grandson lawyer. Also chicz dig lawyers at the barz.

kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby kobe1020 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:03 pm

AceDeuces wrote:
kobe1020 wrote:
Austinbound wrote:$20K/yr. Feeling kinda meh about the amount but, hey, it's better than no money, that's for sure!


I'd bet that they expect a lot of people to negotiate higher, but offer low so they can get a feel for the market. I am a tad disappointed with 30K/yr myself.


they seemed like to get inspired by WUSTL to low-ball this year's applicants


I mean they have had a cap of $25k/year in cycles past, so I wouldn't call this low-balling. I agree some very qualified candidates aren't getting the offers they should, but this is a huge step for ND.[/quote]

i understand the policy or school tradition thing. obviously they have their reasons not to get into a bidding war and it is reasonable. But the thing is you are not getting your past glory back unless you are giving up something in return e.g. a bigger scholarship for qualified applicant at least for a year.

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby yossarian » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:08 pm

kobe1020 wrote:
AceDeuces wrote:
kobe1020 wrote:
they seemed like to get inspired by WUSTL to low-ball this year's applicants


I mean they have had a cap of $25k/year in cycles past, so I wouldn't call this low-balling. I agree some very qualified candidates aren't getting the offers they should, but this is a huge step for ND.


i understand the policy or school tradition thing. obviously they have their reasons not to get into a bidding war and it is reasonable. But the thing is you are not getting your past glory back unless you are giving up something in return e.g. a bigger scholarship for qualified applicant at least for a year.


Right. The thing is, that a school's employment/placement aren't near as volatile as the rankings/medians. So, ND as a school doesn't have to be as concerned about as we are. It sucks for us. But realistically, a slight bump/modest decline won't affect it's biglaw, Chicago, or even clerkship placement. These, I imagine, are more a concern for the school #s. As such, we don't get the offers we want/deserve.

kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby kobe1020 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:36 pm

yossarian71 wrote:
kobe1020 wrote:
AceDeuces wrote:
kobe1020 wrote:
they seemed like to get inspired by WUSTL to low-ball this year's applicants


I mean they have had a cap of $25k/year in cycles past, so I wouldn't call this low-balling. I agree some very qualified candidates aren't getting the offers they should, but this is a huge step for ND.


i understand the policy or school tradition thing. obviously they have their reasons not to get into a bidding war and it is reasonable. But the thing is you are not getting your past glory back unless you are giving up something in return e.g. a bigger scholarship for qualified applicant at least for a year.


Right. The thing is, that a school's employment/placement aren't near as volatile as the rankings/medians. So, ND as a school doesn't have to be as concerned about as we are. It sucks for us. But realistically, a slight bump/modest decline won't affect it's biglaw, Chicago, or even clerkship placement. These, I imagine, are more a concern for the school #s. As such, we don't get the offers we want/deserve.


yeah they probably don't really care about rankings because everyone is dropping their medians since high scores applicants are decreasing.

sucks to be us.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby kyle010723 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:56 pm

kobe1020 wrote:yeah they probably don't really care about rankings because everyone is dropping their medians since high scores applicants are decreasing.

sucks to be us.


Or use the drop to buy higher rankings *cough wustl*

kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby kobe1020 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:04 am

they can't just keep increasing tuition which is ridiculous while keeping their caps for scholarship amount
we need to let them know that we are not satisfied...

User avatar
AnonymousAlterEgoC
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:13 am

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:08 am

yossarian71 wrote:
RollingthruLawSchool wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:I had no idea tuition is now at 50k. Wtf...


it is a little disconcerting that tuition went up over $4500 in a year and the cost of attending Notre Dame is only $2000 less than Yale. I wonder how they will justify that sticker price if they have another graduating class with 13% unemployment; that doesn't happen at Yale.


I mean, I agree that sticker is outrageous, but I don't know there is any sense comparing it to YLS. All t20's have near the same sticker. And T1's are close unless in-state.


Since when is ND a top 20?

Not to flame or anything, but I feel that comparing ND's tuition with schools all ranked at least a few spots higher is unfair. Their perceived stinginess will likely result in students deciding to attend elsewhere. If it really is a problem, I think they will get the message rather quickly, especially with the reduced number of applications at most schools this year.

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby yossarian » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:25 am

camelthing wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:
RollingthruLawSchool wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:I had no idea tuition is now at 50k. Wtf...


it is a little disconcerting that tuition went up over $4500 in a year and the cost of attending Notre Dame is only $2000 less than Yale. I wonder how they will justify that sticker price if they have another graduating class with 13% unemployment; that doesn't happen at Yale.


I mean, I agree that sticker is outrageous, but I don't know there is any sense comparing it to YLS. All t20's have near the same sticker. And T1's are close unless in-state.


Since when is ND a top 20?

Not to flame or anything, but I feel that comparing ND's tuition with schools all ranked at least a few spots higher is unfair. Their perceived stinginess will likely result in students deciding to attend elsewhere. If it really is a problem, I think they will get the message rather quickly, especially with the reduced number of applications at most schools this year.


Good point. Should've used t25. But, to be fair, that distinction is meaningless. There is a small band of mostly private schools that do significantly worse than the t14 in placement but slightly better than the rest of t1. Schools like Emory/ND/WUSTL/USC. (But, for the most part, they serve different regions). There is some sense in comparing them to each other since they serve similar roles in their regions. Not the in-state flagship, but not t14. This weird middle ground of certain schools in the 15-25 band.

Is this better? My point is, the semantics aren't relevant, and the comparisons serve a very limited purpose--albeit a purpose that probably justifies comparing tuition.

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby yossarian » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:29 am

kyle010723 wrote:
kobe1020 wrote:yeah they probably don't really care about rankings because everyone is dropping their medians since high scores applicants are decreasing.

sucks to be us.


Or use the drop to buy higher rankings *cough wustl*


We've touched on how placement likely won't change (much) as a result of 2015 USNWR results and on ND's latest and current class tearing up placement. However, for those of us who are still going to freak out when ND drops and WUSTL remains high/rises, you wanna offer a reassurance that everything will be okay?

User avatar
Count_Chocula
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:19 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Count_Chocula » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:58 pm

frank617 wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:Congrats to all the newly admitted, as always, I'm here for question.


Hey, I was admitted back in December. Really excited about ND, and as long as I don't get completely screwed come scholarship notifications, I'll probably be putting my deposit down soon.

I may be jumping the gun here, but I have two questions on housing. Any insight is appreciated.

1.) What would you consider to be the best housing options for 1L? I take my academics seriously, but I also plan on engaging in the social/nightlife scene as much as possible 1L year. I was originally thinking off-campus, but after reading through that "insider's guide" they sent us, it sounds like Fischer may be the way to go. Is Fischer the ND equivalent to other schools that offer housing for 1Ls (The Aston at GW, Gewirz at GULC, etc.)?

2.) On or off-campus, how do 1Ls typically find roommates? I've lived with 4 friends the last few years, and am looking for a similar dynamic in law school.

Again, I appreciate any information you may have. Congrats to the other admits, and good luck to those waiting to hear


Do any current ND students have any thoughts on this? I looked through the thread and it didn't look like there has been a whole lot of discussion on housing. Thanks.

User avatar
Ditka747
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:02 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Ditka747 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:11 pm

Has ND ever updated the status checker to "decision mailed" on a weekend? Would to feel free to not check my statuses at all until Monday.

fivestarfolds
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby fivestarfolds » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:30 pm

So here's some compiled scholly info from LSN. I'm interested because I've decided that I need 80k+ in order to be swayed from a retake/reapp to Chicago schools next year.

The correlation coefficient is .74 for LSAT/$ and only .24 for GPA/$ -- it's obvious that your LSAT matters much more to ND than your GPA. But for which school is that not already true?

Image

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:38 pm

That chart is 180.

It's true for my stats.

fivestarfolds
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby fivestarfolds » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:43 pm

Here's a visual representation -- I'll just link to it so you guys don't have to feel spammed.
http://imgur.com/8VxL4rq

mu13ski
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby mu13ski » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:56 pm

Count_Chocula wrote:
frank617 wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:Congrats to all the newly admitted, as always, I'm here for question.


Hey, I was admitted back in December. Really excited about ND, and as long as I don't get completely screwed come scholarship notifications, I'll probably be putting my deposit down soon.

I may be jumping the gun here, but I have two questions on housing. Any insight is appreciated.

1.) What would you consider to be the best housing options for 1L? I take my academics seriously, but I also plan on engaging in the social/nightlife scene as much as possible 1L year. I was originally thinking off-campus, but after reading through that "insider's guide" they sent us, it sounds like Fischer may be the way to go. Is Fischer the ND equivalent to other schools that offer housing for 1Ls (The Aston at GW, Gewirz at GULC, etc.)?

2.) On or off-campus, how do 1Ls typically find roommates? I've lived with 4 friends the last few years, and am looking for a similar dynamic in law school.

Again, I appreciate any information you may have. Congrats to the other admits, and good luck to those waiting to hear


Do any current ND students have any thoughts on this? I looked through the thread and it didn't look like there has been a whole lot of discussion on housing. Thanks.



I live on campus. Mainly because it was the cheapest and most convenient. I found my roommates through the admitted students facebook page we had. Wasn't hard at all to find people. I'd say a pretty decent chunk of 1Ls live on campus.


EDIT: Forgot that there is a roommate finder through ND too. At least if I remember correctly. I think the housing department sent out a link about it later in the spring. Facebook page is the best bet probably.
Last edited by mu13ski on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knope34
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby knope34 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:54 pm

Speaking of a facebook page...is there one created for 2017?

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:29 pm

knope34 wrote:Speaking of a facebook page...is there one created for 2017?

Is there? The WUSTL bros and sisters have had one for a while. It's quite active.

User avatar
KanyeShrug
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby KanyeShrug » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:07 pm

29k/year. I was gone for the weekend and must have passed over the email in my phone. Will probably try to muscle for more, but for now...

#Woo




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”