Notre Dame Law School c/o 2018 (2014-2015 applicants) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ManoftheHour

Gold

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:13 pm

So....how do we get our $$$ back for ASW? I was pre-approved and have all the receipts.

Lebrarian_Booker

Silver

Post by Lebrarian_Booker » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:39 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:So....how do we get our $$$ back for ASW? I was pre-approved and have all the receipts.
I just emailed my receipts to the person who approved the stipend. Haven't heard back though.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:43 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:So....how do we get our $$$ back for ASW? I was pre-approved and have all the receipts.
I just emailed my receipts to the person who approved the stipend. Haven't heard back though.
We got scammed good.

Mansa

New

Post by Mansa » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:48 pm

Something to keep in mind:

Notre Dame fell 3 spots in US News Rankings just released (now ranked 26). I am convinced this is part of the reason they are open to negotiations; particularly from individuals that have impressive numbers.

Thus, if you have attractive numbers you should probably negotiate for more money.

John Everyman

Silver

Post by John Everyman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:10 pm

Mansa wrote:Something to keep in mind:

Notre Dame fell 3 spots in US News Rankings just released (now ranked 26). I am convinced this is part of the reason they are open to negotiations; particularly from individuals that have impressive numbers.

Thus, if you have attractive numbers you should probably negotiate for more money.
What would we do without you Mansa.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

casablanca

New

Post by casablanca » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:03 pm

I really dug the ASW. I'm definitely sipping the kool-aid right now.

The national, somewhat non-regional aspect of the ND brand is really attractive. The facilities are immaculate. The sports program is a bonus. The bar scene was a lot better than I anticipated. Downtown South Bend was a lot better than I anticipated. The London program sounds awesome.

I came away really impressed and I'm definitely leaning towards ND at this point.

WUSTL is compelling, but I'm really not a fan of STL. I personally think its a rat nest, but thats just me.

John Everyman

Silver

Post by John Everyman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:08 pm

casablanca wrote:I really dug the ASW. I'm definitely sipping the kool-aid right now.

The national, somewhat non-regional aspect of the ND brand is really attractive. The facilities are immaculate. The sports program is a bonus. The bar scene was a lot better than I anticipated. Downtown South Bend was a lot better than I anticipated. The London program sounds awesome.

I came away really impressed and I'm definitely leaning towards ND at this point.

WUSTL is compelling, but I'm really not a fan of STL. I personally think its a rat nest, but thats just me.
You sound like someone who uses the term "flyover country" a lot.

casablanca

New

Post by casablanca » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:17 pm

John Everyman wrote:
casablanca wrote:I really dug the ASW. I'm definitely sipping the kool-aid right now.

Ah, I see. Crazy about STL, huh?

John Everyman

Silver

Post by John Everyman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:21 pm

casablanca wrote:
John Everyman wrote:

Just not a fan of seeing a vibrant, multicultural, beer-loving city, reduced to a "rat nest." Mostly just crazy about the Midwest in general, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

casablanca

New

Post by casablanca » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:28 pm

John Everyman wrote:
casablanca wrote:
John Everyman wrote:

Just not a fan of seeing a vibrant, multicultural, beer-loving city, reduced to a "rat nest." Mostly just crazy about the Midwest in general, though.
Nice, good for you. For the record, I live in the Midwest and love it. If St. Louis is your dream city then you will certainly enjoy Wash U.

Lebrarian_Booker

Silver

Post by Lebrarian_Booker » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:45 pm

John Everyman wrote:

I'm from the midwest, still live in the midwest, and plan on attending law school in the mdiwest, and even I don't think that term is that unfair or inaccurate...I mean come on

Kanye West

Bronze

Post by Kanye West » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:10 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
John Everyman wrote:

I'm from the midwest, still live in the midwest, and plan on attending law school in the mdiwest, and even I don't think that term is that unfair or inaccurate...I mean come on
"Flyover Country" is a bit much. Don't stoop STL down to Canada or Luxembourg's level.

LyricsToLitigation

Bronze

Post by LyricsToLitigation » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:14 pm

Kanye West wrote:
Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
John Everyman wrote:

"Flyover Country" is a bit much. Don't stoop STL down to Canada or Luxembourg's level.

Luxembourg is here baby!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SparkyZZZ

Bronze

Post by SparkyZZZ » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:14 pm

Has anyone heard about need-based scholarships yet? I know at ASW they said they were mailing them out on Tuesday, so I was hoping one of us would get something in the mail today.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:19 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:
Do you qualify for need based aid? That could be another 15K right there.
Idk. I didn't apply. I thought need based aid was a flame.

....s@#$.

CJ2017

New

Post by CJ2017 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:20 pm

SparkyZZZ wrote:Has anyone heard about need-based scholarships yet? I know at ASW they said they were mailing them out on Tuesday, so I was hoping one of us would get something in the mail today.

+1.

Lebrarian_Booker

Silver

Post by Lebrarian_Booker » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:27 pm

I didn't think NDLS did need based aid...I thought the financial aid letters going out were concerning federal loans and such. My understanding is the only grant (non-loan) aid available is the merit scholarships.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

John Everyman

Silver

Post by John Everyman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:33 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:I didn't think NDLS did need based aid...I thought the financial aid letters going out were concerning federal loans and such. My understanding is the only grant (non-loan) aid available is the merit scholarships.
They do small need-based aid for people with significant limitations in paying for law school. Hopefully some of us on here see some of that. But, I wouldn't count on it.

BentleyLittle

Bronze

Post by BentleyLittle » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:45 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:I didn't think NDLS did need based aid...I thought the financial aid letters going out were concerning federal loans and such. My understanding is the only grant (non-loan) aid available is the merit scholarships.
When I spoke to someone in financial aid they explained that the school gives out some money based on need. As long as you filled out the need portion of their application and filed a FAFSA you'll be considered.

RollingthruLawSchool

New

Post by RollingthruLawSchool » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:45 pm

CJ2017 wrote:
SparkyZZZ wrote:Has anyone heard about need-based scholarships yet? I know at ASW they said they were mailing them out on Tuesday, so I was hoping one of us would get something in the mail today.

+1.
I thought they said at ASW that they would be emailing them out this week, not snail mail.

mathwhiz87

New

Post by mathwhiz87 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:45 am

RollingthruLawSchool wrote:
CJ2017 wrote:

+1.
I thought they said at ASW that they would be emailing them out this week, not snail mail.
I received mine early this week. It sounds like a merit scholarship based on the letter, but alas, it's not, per an email I received from admissions. It's a small amount that still leaves other similarly ranked schools costing less at sticker.

PM me if you're interested in more details. I'm still waiting for the printout/cost/finaid from ND, this was a standalone letter.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BentleyLittle

Bronze

Post by BentleyLittle » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:50 pm

Just got my financial aid letter. No need based aid for me :roll:

yafosho

New

Post by yafosho » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:54 pm

3.17, 164, AA-URM
- Feb 1st: Electronically submitted
- Accepted: March 17th!!!

Anyone know about when to expect Scholarship info back?

frank617

New

Post by frank617 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:41 pm

I admittedly haven't taken the time to totally understand the different federal loan programs, but I just received my ND fin aid letter. All other letters from schools mention Fed Perkins Loan, Fed Direct Stafford, and Fed Direct Grad Plus, all of which add up to total COA. However my ND letter only mentions my merit scholarship and a Fed Direct Unsub Loan, which do not equal COA. Is this something I should be worried about?

Elegavie

New

Post by Elegavie » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:36 pm

I just got my Fin Aid letter today as well. While the list only states merit scholarships and the Direct Unsub Loan if you read further the letter states that "In addition to the financial assistance noted above the Federal Direct PLUS loan for Graduate and Professional students is available to assist with the financing of your Notre Dame education." At least it was in my letter.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”