Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Marshmallow
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Marshmallow » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:58 am

gbelle wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:hi everyone! checking in... I also have a quick question: i applied earlier this week, and my status checker says my application is incomplete. the only things missing are the optional essays, optional early decision certification (not applying ED), and optional disciplinary explanation. will they figure out i'm just not providing these, or have i done something wrong?? sorry for the paranoia!


Did you sign up for an interview? It will remain incomplete until the interview is conducted... also it's only been a few days, so I wouldn't worry at all just yet


thanks! i did sign up for an interview. i remember reading about this, but in the moment, i forgot everything and decided to freak out :/

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby gbelle » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:01 pm

Marshmallow wrote:
gbelle wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:hi everyone! checking in... I also have a quick question: i applied earlier this week, and my status checker says my application is incomplete. the only things missing are the optional essays, optional early decision certification (not applying ED), and optional disciplinary explanation. will they figure out i'm just not providing these, or have i done something wrong?? sorry for the paranoia!


Did you sign up for an interview? It will remain incomplete until the interview is conducted... also it's only been a few days, so I wouldn't worry at all just yet


thanks! i did sign up for an interview. i remember reading about this, but in the moment, i forgot everything and decided to freak out :/


Totally understandable. Glad it's sorted :)

amglanyc
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:04 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby amglanyc » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi All!

I have been hesitant to jump into the convo, but I cannot resist. I am an AJD applicant. I have a very non traditional situation. I worked for over 12 years following high school in the entertainment industry and built a really interesting career. I have spent the past 7 years taking Broadway shows to Asia.
I will graduate from Columbia in the spring. My major is poli sci. My GPA is very strong, but the LSAT didn't go nearly as well as I had hoped.

I interviewed on campus in Nov. I thought it went really well. NU, AJD is my absolute first choice, and to some extent my only choice.

I would love to hear more from some of the AJD candidates out there! What are your stories? Why law school now?

User avatar
thechancellor
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby thechancellor » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:03 pm

amglanyc wrote:Hi All!

I have been hesitant to jump into the convo, but I cannot resist. I am an AJD applicant. I have a very non traditional situation. I worked for over 12 years following high school in the entertainment industry and built a really interesting career. I have spent the past 7 years taking Broadway shows to Asia.
I will graduate from Columbia in the spring. My major is poli sci. My GPA is very strong, but the LSAT didn't go nearly as well as I had hoped.

I interviewed on campus in Nov. I thought it went really well. NU, AJD is my absolute first choice, and to some extent my only choice.

I would love to hear more from some of the AJD candidates out there! What are your stories? Why law school now?


Welcome to the forum!! Nothing to contribute re: ajd, but glad to have you :)

User avatar
MrsHello
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:46 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby MrsHello » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Woot! My interviewer just confirmed our meeting for Monday (after work!) .... wish me luck! :D

Weird because I just looked up some info on my interviewer and she's younger than me. :lol:

User avatar
MrsHello
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:46 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby MrsHello » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:10 pm

alex.cm wrote:
amglanyc wrote:Hi All!

I have been hesitant to jump into the convo, but I cannot resist. I am an AJD applicant. I have a very non traditional situation. I worked for over 12 years following high school in the entertainment industry and built a really interesting career. I have spent the past 7 years taking Broadway shows to Asia.
I will graduate from Columbia in the spring. My major is poli sci. My GPA is very strong, but the LSAT didn't go nearly as well as I had hoped.

I interviewed on campus in Nov. I thought it went really well. NU, AJD is my absolute first choice, and to some extent my only choice.

I would love to hear more from some of the AJD candidates out there! What are your stories? Why law school now?


Welcome to the forum!! Nothing to contribute re: ajd, but glad to have you :)


Hey There ... I, too, am a AJD applicant. Best of luck! I got 10+ years of experience too and from what I gather, NU law greatly appreciate the WE. Best of luck! :D

User avatar
kmiller
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby kmiller » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:20 pm

MrsHello wrote:
alex.cm wrote:
amglanyc wrote:Hi All!

I have been hesitant to jump into the convo, but I cannot resist. I am an AJD applicant. I have a very non traditional situation. I worked for over 12 years following high school in the entertainment industry and built a really interesting career. I have spent the past 7 years taking Broadway shows to Asia.
I will graduate from Columbia in the spring. My major is poli sci. My GPA is very strong, but the LSAT didn't go nearly as well as I had hoped.

I interviewed on campus in Nov. I thought it went really well. NU, AJD is my absolute first choice, and to some extent my only choice.

I would love to hear more from some of the AJD candidates out there! What are your stories? Why law school now?


Welcome to the forum!! Nothing to contribute re: ajd, but glad to have you :)


Hey There ... I, too, am a AJD applicant. Best of luck! I got 10+ years of experience too and from what I gather, NU law greatly appreciate the WE. Best of luck! :D


Also an AJD hopeful! 6 years WE with a Master's. Is it true they don't release AJD decisions until February?? That seems like such short notice for a May start!

User avatar
MrsHello
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:46 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby MrsHello » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:23 pm

kmiller wrote:
MrsHello wrote:
alex.cm wrote:
amglanyc wrote:Hi All!

I have been hesitant to jump into the convo, but I cannot resist. I am an AJD applicant. I have a very non traditional situation. I worked for over 12 years following high school in the entertainment industry and built a really interesting career. I have spent the past 7 years taking Broadway shows to Asia.
I will graduate from Columbia in the spring. My major is poli sci. My GPA is very strong, but the LSAT didn't go nearly as well as I had hoped.

I interviewed on campus in Nov. I thought it went really well. NU, AJD is my absolute first choice, and to some extent my only choice.

I would love to hear more from some of the AJD candidates out there! What are your stories? Why law school now?


Welcome to the forum!! Nothing to contribute re: ajd, but glad to have you :)


Hey There ... I, too, am a AJD applicant. Best of luck! I got 10+ years of experience too and from what I gather, NU law greatly appreciate the WE. Best of luck! :D


Also an AJD hopeful! 6 years WE with a Master's. Is it true they don't release AJD decisions until February?? That seems like such short notice for a May start!


That's what I heard too... it's because (and this is from the rep I spoke to during the LSAC forum event) they go through the ED first and after they had decided from those applicants THEN they look into the AJD ones. Oh, got 2 MA too. It should give us a little bit of edge to have grad degrees, right? :D

User avatar
objection_your_honor
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:35 pm

amglanyc wrote:Hi All!

I have been hesitant to jump into the convo, but I cannot resist. I am an AJD applicant. I have a very non traditional situation. I worked for over 12 years following high school in the entertainment industry and built a really interesting career. I have spent the past 7 years taking Broadway shows to Asia.
I will graduate from Columbia in the spring. My major is poli sci. My GPA is very strong, but the LSAT didn't go nearly as well as I had hoped.

I interviewed on campus in Nov. I thought it went really well. NU, AJD is my absolute first choice, and to some extent my only choice.

I would love to hear more from some of the AJD candidates out there! What are your stories? Why law school now?


User captainplanet is in the AJD program. He has a thread about it here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=217923

joshringu
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby joshringu » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:08 pm

Hey guys! I was just wondering why this school has a better chance of acceptance than other top tier but lower ranked law schools? Some insight will be appreciated.

Thanks!

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:10 pm

joshringu wrote:Hey guys! I was just wondering why this school has a better chance of acceptance than other top tier but lower ranked law schools? Some insight will be appreciated.

Thanks!


Not sure what exactly you're referring to. Are you talking about the % of people accepted? Chance of acceptance is primarily determined by your particular LSAT/GPA combo. Use http://mylsn.info/.

User avatar
objection_your_honor
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:14 pm

joshringu wrote:Hey guys! I was just wondering why this school has a better chance of acceptance than other top tier but lower ranked law schools? Some insight will be appreciated.

Thanks!


NU's medians are generally higher than all schools ranked below it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... XZnc#gid=0

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8868
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Serett » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:19 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:
joshringu wrote:Hey guys! I was just wondering why this school has a better chance of acceptance than other top tier but lower ranked law schools? Some insight will be appreciated.

Thanks!


NU's medians are generally higher than all schools ranked below it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... XZnc#gid=0


Adding to this, its acceptance rate isn't any relevantly different from GULC and Cornell. If there is some sort of difference, it would likely relate to Northwestern emphasizing work experience as a quality and numbers a bit less, but I don't really see it reflected in medians or acceptance rate.

User avatar
MrsHello
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:46 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby MrsHello » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:37 pm

[quote="amglanyc"]Hi All!

I have been hesitant to jump into the convo, but I cannot resist. I am an AJD applicant. I have a very non traditional situation. I worked for over 12 years following high school in the entertainment industry and built a really interesting career. I have spent the past 7 years taking Broadway shows to Asia.
I will graduate from Columbia in the spring. My major is poli sci. My GPA is very strong, but the LSAT didn't go nearly as well as I had hoped.

I interviewed on campus in Nov. I thought it went really well. NU, AJD is my absolute first choice, and to some extent my only choice.

I would love to hear more from some of the AJD candidates out there! What are your stories? Why law school now?[/q


:)
Last edited by MrsHello on Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYC-WVU
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby NYC-WVU » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:04 pm

joshringu wrote:Hey guys! I was just wondering why this school has a better chance of acceptance than other top tier but lower ranked law schools? Some insight will be appreciated.

Thanks!

The only thing I can think of that you might be referring to is the fact that NU has lower 25th percentiles for GPA and LSAT than Georgetown or Cornell, despite the fact that it has higher (or equal) medians. There are two reasons why this could happen. One is that the school with higher medians but lower 25ths is more concerned about certain factors other than numbers, which drives it to accept applicants with these low numbers. The other possibility is that the school, for some reason, has a majority of candidates with high numbers but not enough to fill it's ranks, and thus it accepts students with lower numbers in order to maintain its class size.
Conventional wisdom, and much more plausible, is that NU cares about certain softs more than other schools, and thus might admit someone with a low GPA or LSAT, because they have proven themselves as a good candidate by other means. Typically, it is thought that work experience is the soft that NU cares so much about. (I assume that this is not wishful thinking on my part, 10 years out of UG).
The data doesn't support the second possibility for NU (and probably not for any school).

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby midwest17 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:07 pm

NYC-WVU wrote:
joshringu wrote:Hey guys! I was just wondering why this school has a better chance of acceptance than other top tier but lower ranked law schools? Some insight will be appreciated.

Thanks!

The only thing I can think of that you might be referring to is the fact that NU has lower 25th percentiles for GPA and LSAT than Georgetown or Cornell, despite the fact that it has higher (or equal) medians. There are two reasons why this could happen. One is that the school with higher medians but lower 25ths is more concerned about certain factors other than numbers, which drives it to accept applicants with these low numbers. The other possibility is that the school, for some reason, has a majority of candidates with high numbers but not enough to fill it's ranks, and thus it accepts students with lower numbers in order to maintain its class size.
Conventional wisdom, and much more plausible, is that NU cares about certain softs more than other schools, and thus might admit someone with a low GPA or LSAT, because they have proven themselves as a good candidate by other means. Typically, it is thought that work experience is the soft that NU cares so much about. (I assume that this is not wishful thinking on my part, 10 years out of UG).
The data doesn't support the second possibility for NU (and probably not for any school).


Low 25ths can also indicate a school that games its medians by accepting lots of super splitters.

User avatar
Luchi91
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Luchi91 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:29 pm

What does Johann mean by "Wheels up!" ???
Maybe they are done!!

NYC-WVU
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby NYC-WVU » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:32 pm

Luchi91 wrote:What does Johann mean by "Wheels up!" ???
Maybe they are done!!

DECISION LETTER AVAILABLE WITHIN 24 HOURS! I am ED, btw.

User avatar
Luchi91
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Luchi91 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:35 pm

NYC-WVU wrote:
Luchi91 wrote:What does Johann mean by "Wheels up!" ???
Maybe they are done!!

DECISION LETTER AVAILABLE WITHIN 24 HOURS! I am ED, btw.


Historically, looks like you're in!

User avatar
monsterman
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:29 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby monsterman » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:35 pm

NYC-WVU wrote:
Luchi91 wrote:What does Johann mean by "Wheels up!" ???
Maybe they are done!!

DECISION LETTER AVAILABLE WITHIN 24 HOURS! I am ED, btw.


Does status checker say this?? Mine does not. I'm also ED

User avatar
Luchi91
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Luchi91 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:36 pm

monsterman wrote:
NYC-WVU wrote:
Luchi91 wrote:What does Johann mean by "Wheels up!" ???
Maybe they are done!!

DECISION LETTER AVAILABLE WITHIN 24 HOURS! I am ED, btw.


Does status checker say this?? Mine does not. I'm also ED


Constantly refreshing. No changes yet

User avatar
monsterman
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:29 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby monsterman » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:37 pm

Luchi91 wrote:
monsterman wrote:
NYC-WVU wrote:
Luchi91 wrote:What does Johann mean by "Wheels up!" ???
Maybe they are done!!

DECISION LETTER AVAILABLE WITHIN 24 HOURS! I am ED, btw.


Does status checker say this?? Mine does not. I'm also ED


Constantly refreshing. No changes yet


+1

User avatar
Snowboarder1588
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:55 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:40 pm

Hopefully you all get good news today! I wish AJD applicants got their decisions this early...

NYC-WVU
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby NYC-WVU » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:58 pm

NYC-WVU wrote:
snapdragon25 wrote:
worried0L wrote:does the status checker actually change beyond 'Completed'?

does it go to UR?


Nope, it eventually goes from complete to the ominous "Decision Letter Available within 24 Hours", then you check the decision letter delivery site (link is on the regular status check page) like a crazy person until a PDF of your letter shows up there. So get excited for that.


Got my ED certification to the admissions office today. Is it not possible to check 24 hours after you see the "ominous 'Decision Letter Available within 24 Hours'"? I would love to be able to see that post, and then just check the same time on the next day. Probably won't have the discipline, though. Can we at least assume that the Decision letter won't be sent outside of regular-ish office hours?

It is NOT possible. Refreshing is inevitable. I think I would have the internet open and be refreshing constantly even if I was at the Superbowl.

User avatar
objection_your_honor
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:09 pm

ED, no movement here.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aquinas, Christinabruin, dianersg, ellielaw, Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], kadams, lawschoolbound2017, michelekfla, Mr. Bubbles, MSNbot Media, spursforever, sre08, whodareswins, xn3345 and 47 guests