Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:47 pm

I had my alumni interview today. Overall I would say it went pretty well. Really the biggest questions I was asked were "Why Law?", "Why Northwestern?", and "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?" There weren't any of the classic "behavioral" interview questions such as "tell me about a situation when you had to make a difficult decision." Honestly the biggest thing that caught me off guard was the sheer amount of time we spent on the "what questions do you have for me?" portion of the interview. I think we spent about 20 minutes on the three questions he had for me, and the rest of it was him fielding my questions (the total interview was about 75 minutes).

So definitely be prepared to ask a lot of questions. I would recommend having at least 15 to 20 questions ready to go. Practice that skill of mentally phrasing your question while simultaneously listening to your interviewer's answer. That will come in handy!

One thing that made me pleased was when he said "your resume is above average," but I couldn't help but chuckle inside as I thought about the ongoing conversation on the Spreadsheets thread about average vs. above-average :).

I was also pleasantly surprised to come home and see my status had moved to "Complete". They must be using some sort of online evaluation to have it move that quickly. Or perhaps they use the date of your interview to know when to move it? I'm not sure because I did not check today prior to my interview.

But I am glad to be "complete" and will be anxiously awaiting a decision...

User avatar
jk148706
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jk148706 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:13 am

lawschool22 wrote: Honestly the biggest thing that caught me off guard was the sheer amount of time we spent on the "what questions do you have for me?" portion of the interview. I think we spent about 20 minutes on the three questions he had for me, and the rest of it was him fielding my questions (the total interview was about 75 minutes).



Exact same thing happened to me



lawschool22 wrote: I was also pleasantly surprised to come home and see my status had moved to "Complete". They must be using some sort of online evaluation to have it move that quickly. Or perhaps they use the date of your interview to know when to move it? I'm not sure because I did not check today prior to my interview.

But I am glad to be "complete" and will be anxiously awaiting a decision...


Ah man I still am not complete and my interview was Wednesday. I wonder if I should. Intact my interviewer.

User avatar
Kikero
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Kikero » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:33 am

jk148706 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote: Honestly the biggest thing that caught me off guard was the sheer amount of time we spent on the "what questions do you have for me?" portion of the interview. I think we spent about 20 minutes on the three questions he had for me, and the rest of it was him fielding my questions (the total interview was about 75 minutes).



Exact same thing happened to me



lawschool22 wrote: I was also pleasantly surprised to come home and see my status had moved to "Complete". They must be using some sort of online evaluation to have it move that quickly. Or perhaps they use the date of your interview to know when to move it? I'm not sure because I did not check today prior to my interview.

But I am glad to be "complete" and will be anxiously awaiting a decision...


Ah man I still am not complete and my interview was Wednesday. I wonder if I should. Intact my interviewer.


Interviewers have to fill out evaluation forms, so I would think it's pretty normal for it to take at least a week.

mx23250
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby mx23250 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:31 am

Does anyone know how much of our application an off-campus interviewer has access to? I would assume they have access to our resume (although I'll be emailing my interviewer an up-to-date copy ahead of time), but do they also see other aspects such as personal statements, optional statements, etc.?

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:13 am

mx23250 wrote:Does anyone know how much of our application an off-campus interviewer has access to? I would assume they have access to our resume (although I'll be emailing my interviewer an up-to-date copy ahead of time), but do they also see other aspects such as personal statements, optional statements, etc.?


Nothing I was asked led me to believe that they have access to anything. I would even question whether they are sent your resume, since Northwestern specifically requests that you send your resume.

I would guess they want it to be an unbiased interview, independent of the other aspects of your application. I could see how providing the interviewer your LSAT score for instance could influence the interviewer's thoughts on a subconscious level.

mx23250
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby mx23250 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:27 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
mx23250 wrote:Does anyone know how much of our application an off-campus interviewer has access to? I would assume they have access to our resume (although I'll be emailing my interviewer an up-to-date copy ahead of time), but do they also see other aspects such as personal statements, optional statements, etc.?


Nothing I was asked led me to believe that they have access to anything. I would even question whether they are sent your resume, since Northwestern specifically requests that you send your resume.

I would guess they want it to be an unbiased interview, independent of the other aspects of your application. I could see how providing the interviewer your LSAT score for instance could influence the interviewer's thoughts on a subconscious level.


That makes sense. Thanks for the info.

NanaP
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby NanaP » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:32 pm

Has any one interviewed in Philly or scheduled???

User avatar
jk148706
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jk148706 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:37 am

C'mon interviewer, send in your report,... Still incomplete nearly a week after the interview

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby gbelle » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:46 am

jk148706 wrote:C'mon interviewer, send in your report,... Still incomplete nearly a week after the interview


It's likely complete. It sometimes doesn't update online. Just call admissions, they'll make sure for you!

User avatar
HarvardHopeful
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby HarvardHopeful » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:49 am

gbelle wrote:
jk148706 wrote:C'mon interviewer, send in your report,... Still incomplete nearly a week after the interview


It's likely complete. It sometimes doesn't update online. Just call admissions, they'll make sure for you!



I second that. they forgot to update mine when they received my application and again when they received my interviewer's evaluation. Call and they update it for you, but I wouldn't call unless its been 2 weeks and you're still not complete.

User avatar
Quan292
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:03 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Quan292 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:33 pm

NanaP wrote:Has any one interviewed in Philly or scheduled???

I interviewd in Philly not sure if they use one interviewer or multiple but my guy was really cool.

goldgirl786
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby goldgirl786 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:49 pm

Anyone interview in Atl? My interview's on Wednesday...kinda nervous!

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby midwest17 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:08 pm

I just noticed this at the top of my status checker:

Your application is now complete and is being reviewed by the Admissions Committee.


Has that always been there since my status went to "Application Complete" and I just didn't notice it, or is it indicating something new?

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:27 pm

midwest17 wrote:I just noticed this at the top of my status checker:

Your application is now complete and is being reviewed by the Admissions Committee.


Has that always been there since my status went to "Application Complete" and I just didn't notice it, or is it indicating something new?


Edit: Removed false info
Last edited by lawschool22 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSBound2017
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:46 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby LSBound2017 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:31 pm

midwest17 wrote:I just noticed this at the top of my status checker:

Your application is now complete and is being reviewed by the Admissions Committee.


Has that always been there since my status went to "Application Complete" and I just didn't notice it, or is it indicating something new?


Mine has said that since I went complete in October.

User avatar
objection_your_honor
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby objection_your_honor » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:35 pm

It's not new. Mine has said that since going complete.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby midwest17 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:37 pm

LSBound2017 wrote:Mine has said that since I went complete in October.


objection_your_honor wrote:It's not new. Mine has said that since going complete.


Thanks guys. It's possible I'm obsessing a little bit over here.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:01 pm

Sorry I misread your post - it changed for me when I went complete, but not after.

User avatar
KanyeShrug
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby KanyeShrug » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:21 pm

Just got back from the interview. Great guy. I thought it would be a much more formal meeting and it just really wasn't. I'd say I had a good experience. Definitely be prepared with questions.

Biggest topics of discussion (in no particular order):
- Leadership positions/roles
- Project management experience
- Why law?
- Why NU?

Other than that, I just hit him with a bunch of questions and we talked about his experiences. No big. #FingersCrossed

User avatar
KanyeShrug
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby KanyeShrug » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:29 am

Insta-complete

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:42 pm

KanyeShrug wrote:Just got back from the interview. Great guy. I thought it would be a much more formal meeting and it just really wasn't. I'd say I had a good experience. Definitely be prepared with questions.

Biggest topics of discussion (in no particular order):
- Leadership positions/roles
- Project management experience
- Why law?
- Why NU?

Other than that, I just hit him with a bunch of questions and we talked about his experiences. No big. #FingersCrossed


Thanks for sharing, and congrats on the good interview!

HYSenberg
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby HYSenberg » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:39 pm

I got a large packet in the mail from Northwestern... college of Lewis and Clark, a school to which I didn't apply. Misleading!

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby gbelle » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:21 pm

HYSenberg wrote:I got a large packet in the mail from Northwestern... college of Lewis and Clark, a school to which I didn't apply. Misleading!


Northeastern sending me packets in the mail and emails (despite having unsubscribed at least one hundred times). GUH

stickershocked
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:17 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby stickershocked » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:17 pm

I'm sure this has been asked before, but should I be concerned that noone has contacted me about an off-campus interview yet? I submitted in mid-October. I'm thinking I may have missed some additional form to fill out other than the questions in the application itself...

maplecai
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:30 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby maplecai » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:05 pm

stickershocked wrote:I'm sure this has been asked before, but should I be concerned that noone has contacted me about an off-campus interview yet? I submitted in mid-October. I'm thinking I may have missed some additional form to fill out other than the questions in the application itself...


I don't believe there is any additional form. As long as you indicate the request for an interview in your application, normally they will inform you via email once your interviewer has been assigned. The assignment could take a few weeks, but you may contact them since it has been more than a month :shock:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Assasindowntheavenue, AZnative, blackpi, Blue664, brinicolec, crimsonknight, curry1, Google Adsense [Bot], hellohalo, jjcorvino, lawschoolbound2017, Lmorina126, Pugnax, texteach, WarriorPoet, Why???, xn3345 and 26 guests