Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
herrowww
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:08 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby herrowww » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:51 am

jk148706 wrote:
SowhatsNU wrote:
I'm doing all four of those two, however, I may opt to do the video option as I believe I might not even have the time to type essays for all four questions and do LOCI's for every other school I've been held/WLed at.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't April 1 the deposit date? If so, that would explain why they said April 2. The people who've already withdrawn or not put down seat deposits will let them know how much more space they have in terms of


I think the deposit deadline is April 30, no?


My scholorship offer deadline says April 11 and the seat deposit deadline is April 30th.

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby rion91 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:53 am

I can legitimately say I've poured my heart out into these held essays. :?

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby AAJD2B » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:11 am

herrowww wrote:
jk148706 wrote:
SowhatsNU wrote:
I'm doing all four of those two, however, I may opt to do the video option as I believe I might not even have the time to type essays for all four questions and do LOCI's for every other school I've been held/WLed at.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't April 1 the deposit date? If so, that would explain why they said April 2. The people who've already withdrawn or not put down seat deposits will let them know how much more space they have in terms of


I think the deposit deadline is April 30, no?


My scholorship offer deadline says April 11 and the seat deposit deadline is April 30th.


But for those with scholarship, I believe we need to accept and make a seat deposit by the April 11th deadline.

ellayo
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:16 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby ellayo » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:20 pm

Lurker status here. I'm working on held essays and would love an extra set of eyes. I'm trying to submit Monday and will be working on them today and tomorrow. PM me if you want to swap.

chief325
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:12 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby chief325 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:42 pm

herrowww wrote:
jk148706 wrote:
SowhatsNU wrote:
I'm doing all four of those two, however, I may opt to do the video option as I believe I might not even have the time to type essays for all four questions and do LOCI's for every other school I've been held/WLed at.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't April 1 the deposit date? If so, that would explain why they said April 2. The people who've already withdrawn or not put down seat deposits will let them know how much more space they have in terms of


I think the deposit deadline is April 30, no?


My scholorship offer deadline says April 11 and the seat deposit deadline is April 30th.



How are your essays/video responses coming along? I am struggling to get anything good on paper.

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby El Principe » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:45 am

chief325 wrote:
herrowww wrote:
jk148706 wrote:
SowhatsNU wrote:
I'm doing all four of those two, however, I may opt to do the video option as I believe I might not even have the time to type essays for all four questions and do LOCI's for every other school I've been held/WLed at.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't April 1 the deposit date? If so, that would explain why they said April 2. The people who've already withdrawn or not put down seat deposits will let them know how much more space they have in terms of


I think the deposit deadline is April 30, no?


My scholorship offer deadline says April 11 and the seat deposit deadline is April 30th.



How are your essays/video responses coming along? I am struggling to get anything good on paper.


I'm doing videos... well, at least for the "my day off" hypo.

bluemonkey219
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:14 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby bluemonkey219 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:57 pm

El Principe wrote:
chief325 wrote:
How are your essays/video responses coming along? I am struggling to get anything good on paper.


I'm doing videos... well, at least for the "my day off" hypo.


I'm doing all four as essays. I have solid answers for two of the questions that were pretty easy to write and say something meaningful about me, I think. I have an answer for one of the questions that probably won't say anything astoundingly impressive about me, but the question isn't really set up for an answer that would, so I feel ok about it. I'm struggling to write the day off question though. I know how I would spend the day, but I can't really see how it's going to say much about me to the adcomm other than things like I enjoy making and eating food and reading.

littlegiant
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:14 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby littlegiant » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:25 pm

bluemonkey219 wrote:
El Principe wrote:
chief325 wrote:
How are your essays/video responses coming along? I am struggling to get anything good on paper.


I'm doing videos... well, at least for the "my day off" hypo.


I'm doing all four as essays. I have solid answers for two of the questions that were pretty easy to write and say something meaningful about me, I think. I have an answer for one of the questions that probably won't say anything astoundingly impressive about me, but the question isn't really set up for an answer that would, so I feel ok about it. I'm struggling to write the day off question though. I know how I would spend the day, but I can't really see how it's going to say much about me to the adcomm other than things like I enjoy making and eating food and reading.


what do people think about not writing all the essays? I have 2 written, and feel they are pretty strong. The other 2, I simply dont feel like they will have the "wow" factor I hope the others will. I am of the opinion that 2 good is better than 4 average, but if i dont do four, does it look like i simply didnt put in the effort?

curious what hold and non-hold people here think.

User avatar
femmefatale
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 9:44 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby femmefatale » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:12 pm

How much movement is there off the held list typically?

Also, is held synonymous with waitlist or is there a separate group for WL?

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby El Principe » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:54 pm

femmefatale wrote:How much movement is there off the held list typically?

Also, is held synonymous with waitlist or is there a separate group for WL?


Held means you're delayed.... in essence, it's a defacto waitlist, but you hear back a lot sooner. Supposedly, we're supposed to start getting movement around April. Either you get accepted, declined, or actually put in waitlist.

littlegiant wrote:what do people think about not writing all the essays? I have 2 written, and feel they are pretty strong. The other 2, I simply dont feel like they will have the "wow" factor I hope the others will. I am of the opinion that 2 good is better than 4 average, but if i dont do four, does it look like i simply didnt put in the effort?

curious what hold and non-hold people here think.


I'm held, but honestly, if I don't have a good response to it, I'd just make a video/not write it.

Personally, I said I'm doing going the video route because, I honestly don't feel like taking the time to write & proofread a proper document over a personal question. I think a personal statement, diversity statement, LOCI, LSAT writing sample, and anything else they have from me should be enough.

I'm good at talking people's ears off, so a video's good for me, and though I'm also very good & comfortable with writing, I personally don't feel like writing an essay about what I'd do on my day off for example.

So my opinion is, write whatever you feel comfortable with. You don't want to sandbag your application.

Personally, I probably won't do all of them, so it'll likely end up being some combo of essays, vids, & a skip or two.

User avatar
femmefatale
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 9:44 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby femmefatale » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:52 pm

El Principe wrote: Held means you're delayed.... in essence, it's a defacto waitlist, but you hear back a lot sooner. Supposedly, we're supposed to start getting movement around April. Either you get accepted, declined, or actually put in waitlist.

Thanks for clarifying this for me, Prince.
I originally assumed there was no difference.

Will def be working hard on these essays and sending them out sooner rather than later.

britrf
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby britrf » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:12 pm

Still sitting on 2/20 complete. Anyone else losing their mind?

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:20 pm

britrf wrote:Still sitting on 2/20 complete. Anyone else losing their mind?



mmhmmm

::gun to head motion::

User avatar
theramblingfool
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:34 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby theramblingfool » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:02 pm

britrf wrote:Still sitting on 2/20 complete. Anyone else losing their mind?


2/19 here. Really hoping this week is the week.

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby rion91 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:13 pm

leigh912198972 wrote:
britrf wrote:Still sitting on 2/20 complete. Anyone else losing their mind?



mmhmmm

::gun to head motion::

I thought you were held?

PrideandGlory1776
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:14 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby PrideandGlory1776 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:41 pm

So April 2nd is the big day eh? Anyone know how generous they are with scholarship to people off the waitlist? Is it instant sticker or is it negotiable?

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:47 pm

rion91 wrote:
leigh912198972 wrote:
britrf wrote:Still sitting on 2/20 complete. Anyone else losing their mind?



mmhmmm

::gun to head motion::

I thought you were held?


No. WL at uChi though

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby gbelle » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:45 pm

leigh912198972 wrote:
britrf wrote:Still sitting on 2/20 complete. Anyone else losing their mind?



mmhmmm

::gun to head motion::


I was dinged last week. Just checking in to say I'm pulling for you!! (And everyone still waiting)

User avatar
njdevils2626
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby njdevils2626 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:51 pm

britrf wrote:Still sitting on 2/20 complete. Anyone else losing their mind?


I'm sitting at 2/10 complete. I also took the February LSAT so I was expecting at least an update once my score was received. Thinking of shooting them a quick email, any thoughts?

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby rion91 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:14 pm

leigh912198972 wrote:
rion91 wrote:
leigh912198972 wrote:
britrf wrote:Still sitting on 2/20 complete. Anyone else losing their mind?



mmhmmm

::gun to head motion::

I thought you were held?


No. WL at uChi though

Darn. Pulling for you!!

britrf
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby britrf » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:29 am

njdevils2626 wrote:
britrf wrote:Still sitting on 2/20 complete. Anyone else losing their mind?


I'm sitting at 2/10 complete. I also took the February LSAT so I was expecting at least an update once my score was received. Thinking of shooting them a quick email, any thoughts?


Totally reasonable reason to contact them. Just ask them to confirm that they've received your updated score and that it's been added to your file.

whereskyle
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby whereskyle » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:45 am

britrf wrote:
njdevils2626 wrote:
britrf wrote:Still sitting on 2/20 complete. Anyone else losing their mind?


I'm sitting at 2/10 complete. I also took the February LSAT so I was expecting at least an update once my score was received. Thinking of shooting them a quick email, any thoughts?


Totally reasonable reason to contact them. Just ask them to confirm that they've received your updated score and that it's been added to your file.


Concurred.

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1754
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby JustHawkin » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:48 am

For the held crew:

How early in April do you think we can hear?

User avatar
herrowww
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:08 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby herrowww » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:17 am

JustHawkin wrote:For the held crew:

How early in April do you think we can hear?


For scholarships we are required to make a decision by April 14. With all the ASW's and other school's scholarship deadlines, I'm assuming they may throw a few held people an acceptance between the 11th and the 30th because people will start withdrawing since it's a requirement to accept a scholarship elsewhere. Most helds are going to end up on the WL though(I've noticed this trend with other schools), but I think you should see a decent amount of WL'ers get accepted after April 30 since that is the seat deposit deadline for those currently admitted. I've seen enough people with NU acceptances and scholarships talking on various forums about other options, so I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few withdraw for higher ranked schools.

Best of luck to those who are still waiting! NU is worth the wait and those extra essays, so make them count.

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:35 am

Do we think any decisions today? or tomorrow?
I'm actually dying here.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bleakchimera2, carlos_danger and 11 guests