Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pcthenls
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby pcthenls » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:25 pm

Thanks guys! Sending positive vibes your way!

My brother is in Chicago and just told me it's 8 degrees outside. Yesterday was 0. It's 63 in Nor Cal today... Such amazing schools in such cold, cold cities!

gimmedanger
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby gimmedanger » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:27 pm

I'm in!!! first t14 acceptance!!

3.67/171

No mention of $$ though... does that come later or should I not count on it?

Wildcats17
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Wildcats17 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:56 pm

Congrats admits! ED here, hope to see you all in Chicago next year!

User avatar
angels2fly
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby angels2fly » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:57 pm

Is scheduling an interview for like 2/3 weeks later from receiving the contact info okay?

User avatar
sandwich
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:11 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby sandwich » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:56 pm

So, we're pretty sure that today wasn't "THE DAY", right?

Tomorrow?

User avatar
metroidbum
Posts: 906
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby metroidbum » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:44 pm

If it still says "app incomplete" when I had my interview two weeks ago, should I contact them?

User avatar
MnM22
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby MnM22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:21 am

On LSN I saw some rejects and WL. Were some people dinged and WLed already?

Also, my DL blurb changed. It used to say something like, "Your letter is not available because there has been an error in our system." Now it reads, "You currently do not have a decision letter. If you believe you are seeing this message in error, please send an email to admissions@law.northwestern.edu."

Did this happen to anyone else?

Congrats again to all the admits!

ColShRo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:39 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby ColShRo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:29 am

Today?

User avatar
jk148706
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jk148706 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:30 am

ColShRo wrote:Today?


Maybe. But I'm thinking next week.

edwardt1988
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby edwardt1988 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:32 am

MnM22 wrote:On LSN I saw some rejects and WL. Were some people dinged and WLed already?

Also, my DL blurb changed. It used to say something like, "Your letter is not available because there has been an error in our system." Now it reads, "You currently do not have a decision letter. If you believe you are seeing this message in error, please send an email to admissions@law.northwestern.edu."

Did this happen to anyone else?

Congrats again to all the admits!


This happened to me

whereskyle
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby whereskyle » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:34 am

gimmedanger wrote:I'm in!!! first t14 acceptance!!

3.67/171

No mention of $$ though... does that come later or should I not count on it?


There was discussion of a merit aid response form a few pages back. The gist of the discussion was to take the questions seriously and to present yourself in the best possible light. The scholly prompt is on the admitted students site.
Last edited by whereskyle on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

omzster67
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:03 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby omzster67 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:37 am

edwardt1988 wrote:
MnM22 wrote:On LSN I saw some rejects and WL. Were some people dinged and WLed already?

Also, my DL blurb changed. It used to say something like, "Your letter is not available because there has been an error in our system." Now it reads, "You currently do not have a decision letter. If you believe you are seeing this message in error, please send an email to admissions@law.northwestern.edu."

Did this happen to anyone else?

Congrats again to all the admits!


This happened to me


Just noticed this as well. Eff.

c0llegeStUd3nt
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby c0llegeStUd3nt » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:38 pm

I have an interview next week and my interviewer mentioned in her email explicitly that I "don't have to suit up." The interview is in her office at her law firm though. Any tips on what I should wear?

(I'm a guy)

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby yossarian » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:43 pm

c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:I have an interview next week and my interviewer mentioned in her email explicitly that I "don't have to suit up." The interview is in her office at her law firm though. Any tips on what I should wear?

(I'm a guy)


That is awful. I would probably wear a blazer and slacks. Technically following her directions but still (almost) appropriately dressed for the place. But, I tend to overdress. Do you work? You could quickly brush aside a suit saying you were wearing it for work anyway. Although, your username indicates that's probably not an option.

I'd say the floor is slacks, a dress shirt AND EITHER a tie or a blazer. Anything from there to a a full-blown three-piece is fair game. But if you go suit, you'll want an excuse.

ColShRo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:39 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby ColShRo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:43 pm

Maybe business casual

User avatar
bombaysippin
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby bombaysippin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:54 pm

angels2fly wrote:Is scheduling an interview for like 2/3 weeks later from receiving the contact info okay?


Interested in this too.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby 052220151 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:57 pm

c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:I have an interview next week and my interviewer mentioned in her email explicitly that I "don't have to suit up." The interview is in her office at her law firm though. Any tips on what I should wear?

(I'm a guy)


This means slacks and a dress shirt. No need to overthink it, it really doesn't matter. No tie or blazer necessary.

User avatar
AstonMartin177
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby AstonMartin177 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:06 pm

c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:I have an interview next week and my interviewer mentioned in her email explicitly that I "don't have to suit up." The interview is in her office at her law firm though. Any tips on what I should wear?

(I'm a guy)


Suit up. Says you don't have to... Doesn't say you can't or shouldn't. IMO you can never really be overdressed in a professional setting.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:09 pm

AstonMartin177 wrote:
c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:I have an interview next week and my interviewer mentioned in her email explicitly that I "don't have to suit up." The interview is in her office at her law firm though. Any tips on what I should wear?

(I'm a guy)


Suit up. Says you don't have to... Doesn't say you can't or shouldn't. IMO you can never really be overdressed in a professional setting.


This whole "you can never be overdressed" thing that gets bandied about on these forums is just really not true. Anyone who has worked in a professional setting would know this. It can be awkward to be the overdressed one. If she specifically told you not to wear a suit, I would not wear a suit.

Different offices have different dress codes, cultures, overall atmospheres, etc. Interviews are usually more friendly and casual (read: more fun for the interviewer, which is better for you) when the dress is a bit more casual. My guess is she is going for that sort of interview, and wants you (and herself) to be comfortable.

I think your best bet is to do what she says and not suit up. You would be fine wearing dress slacks, a pressed shirt, tie, and perhaps a v-neck sweater or something along those lines.
Last edited by lawschool22 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chneyo
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby chneyo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:11 pm

...
Last edited by chneyo on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jstep
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:49 am

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jstep » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:20 pm

gimmedanger wrote:I'm in!!! first t14 acceptance!!

3.67/171

No mention of $$ though... does that come later or should I not count on it?


When was your last UR update? And congrats!

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:00 pm

In the forum "What to Expect When You're Expecting", it says that NU goes from incomplete ---> complete ---> decision letter available within 24 hours.

Are yall implying that in between complete and decision there is an "under review" status? or are you calling complete "under review"?

Just wanted to know, since I'm complete but not "under review".

thaaaaaaaanks and congrats to you admits!

User avatar
sandwich
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:11 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby sandwich » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:06 pm

The status is "application complete"

But at the top it says "Your application is now complete and is being reviewed by the Admissions Committee"

omzster67
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:03 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby omzster67 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:30 pm

MnM22 wrote:On LSN I saw some rejects and WL. Were some people dinged and WLed already?

Also, my DL blurb changed. It used to say something like, "Your letter is not available because there has been an error in our system." Now it reads, "You currently do not have a decision letter. If you believe you are seeing this message in error, please send an email to admissions@law.northwestern.edu."

Did this happen to anyone else?

Congrats again to all the admits!


Any word on if this means ding/waitlist?

User avatar
AstonMartin177
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby AstonMartin177 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:15 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
AstonMartin177 wrote:
c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:I have an interview next week and my interviewer mentioned in her email explicitly that I "don't have to suit up." The interview is in her office at her law firm though. Any tips on what I should wear?

(I'm a guy)


Suit up. Says you don't have to... Doesn't say you can't or shouldn't. IMO you can never really be overdressed in a professional setting.


This whole "you can never be overdressed" thing that gets bandied about on these forums is just really not true. Anyone who has worked in a professional setting would know this. It can be awkward to be the overdressed one. If she specifically told you not to wear a suit, I would not wear a suit.

Different offices have different dress codes, cultures, overall atmospheres, etc. Interviews are usually more friendly and casual (read: more fun for the interviewer, which is better for you) when the dress is a bit more casual. My guess is she is going for that sort of interview, and wants you (and herself) to be comfortable.

I think your best bet is to do what she says and not suit up. You would be fine wearing dress slacks, a pressed shirt, tie, and perhaps a v-neck sweater or something along those lines.


Different offices do have different dress codes, cultures, etc. but they are meeting at the interviewer's law firm. All of the law firms that I've worked at had a professional dress code. Also, it's not like the interviewer will be in casual wear and will feel awkwardly underdressed if collegestudent shows up in a suit (after all the interviewer is an attorney and will most likely be in professional attire herself).

I agree that if the interviewer explicitly told him not to suit up, he shouldn't. But again, she said he didn't have to, never said not to.

In this particular case, as she explicitly said that you (collegestudent) don't have to suit up, you'll be fine either way. Just go with what you're more comfortable with (business casual or business professional). Either way, hope you kill the interview!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, Baidu [Spider], BuyaLittleMercy, carlos_danger, cd1945, Daaltaraan, Ferrisjso, jstans, lawschoolbound2017, nume2016, theothercat, Why??? and 32 guests