Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
snapdragon25

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby snapdragon25 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:44 pm

AstonMartin177 wrote:Any chance a few of those acceptance packages are for ED-->hold? Wishful thinking :roll:

Nope, sorry. Our decisions will come via the status checker, the same way we got our hold decisions :(

AstonMartin177

Postby AstonMartin177 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:52 pm

snapdragon25 wrote:
AstonMartin177 wrote:Any chance a few of those acceptance packages are for ED-->hold? Wishful thinking :roll:

Nope, sorry. Our decisions will come via the status checker, the same way we got our hold decisions :(

Sigh... Guess it's back to refreshing the status checker, email, and Johann's twitter :|

NYC-WVU

Postby NYC-WVU » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:21 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
gbelle wrote:Just got a really interesting email from Wake Forest. I think it could be relevant for many schools though:

"This is an especially volatile year in law school admissions necessitating adjustments to our standard operating procedures... However, this year circumstances may dictate a longer and more thorough review for many of our applicants. Given the decline in applications nationally we are more carefully considering all applicant credentials and experiences in the context of a declining pool and more competitive market."

Whoa, nice transparency from them. I'm sure it's affecting them more than the T-14, but there has to be similiar effect going on at the top as well.

Maybe, but it could be the opposite. The numbers that I've seen indicate that the decline in applications is most dramatic for applicants with the highest scores. (The theory is that the smartest applicants know law school is a bad idea - *shrug* oops)
In hindsight it's not surprising that this year is exceptionally bad, at least from my own anecdotal evidence. I've known that the legal market has been bad for several years, but it wasn't really until this year that people started telling me that going to law school is a flat-out stupid idea. (I have been kicking the idea around for 6 years and for most of those years people have responded to my indication that I was thinking of going to law school with "That makes sense, good for you." But this year I've been getting responses like "Are you a sadist?") Perhaps the media has given more attention to the sad state of recent law graduates in the past year.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:22 pm

NYC-WVU wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
gbelle wrote:Just got a really interesting email from Wake Forest. I think it could be relevant for many schools though:

"This is an especially volatile year in law school admissions necessitating adjustments to our standard operating procedures... However, this year circumstances may dictate a longer and more thorough review for many of our applicants. Given the decline in applications nationally we are more carefully considering all applicant credentials and experiences in the context of a declining pool and more competitive market."

Whoa, nice transparency from them. I'm sure it's affecting them more than the T-14, but there has to be similiar effect going on at the top as well.

Maybe, but it could be the opposite. The numbers that I've seen indicate that the decline in applications is most dramatic for applicants with the highest scores. (The theory is that the smartest applicants know law school is a bad idea - *shrug* oops)
In hindsight it's not surprising that this year is exceptionally bad, at least from my own anecdotal evidence. I've known that the legal market has been bad for several years, but it wasn't really until this year that people started telling me that going to law school is a flat-out stupid idea. (I have been kicking the idea around for 6 years and for most of those years people have responded to my indication that I was thinking of going to law school with "That makes sense, good for you." But this year I've been getting responses like "Are you a sadist?") Perhaps the media has given more attention to the sad state of recent law graduates in the past year.

Nah. 175+ scores are up 15%

Attax

Postby Attax » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:36 pm

jk148706 wrote:
NYC-WVU wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

But I think you have to yield to 175+ viewing this as a phenomenal cycle for them. Many can go to the top schools for next to nothing. However, for those in the, say, 165-174 range it may be more of a decline. Haven't really looked at it myself though.

That being said, just finished my interview. Wore purple. Felt successful.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:38 pm

jk148706 wrote:
NYC-WVU wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

Yeah but it's only like 30 people. 170-174 are down. The total 170+ group is down as a whole.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:41 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
Yeah but it's only like 30 people. 170-174 are down. The total 170+ group is down as a whole.

Right. But the "most dramatic" drop in applicants isn't from top scorers. Not even close. I forget the exact numbers but sub 160 and sub 150 are down huge.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:45 pm

jk148706 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

Right. But the "most dramatic" drop in applicants isn't from top scorers. Not even close. I forget the exact numbers but sub 160 and sub 150 are down huge.

Oh yeah, I just actually read the post you were responding to lol. In that sense, for sure. The lower scores this cycle are down way more than the top scores, so that theory of it being the opposite is not true.

Gustave

Postby Gustave » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:53 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
jk148706 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

Oh yeah, I just actually read the post you were responding to lol. In that sense, for sure. The lower scores this cycle are down way more than the top scores, so that theory of it being the opposite is not true.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/2014-l ... rsus-2013/

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=222710

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:55 pm

Gustave wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
jk148706 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/2014-l ... rsus-2013/

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2&t=222710

Yep I'm aware of this data. What are you trying to get across?

Attax

Postby Attax » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:05 pm

How I felt about this interview...

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:13 pm

Hate to burst your bubble and confidence but someone was going to do it eventually. Johann, the Assistant Dean at Northwestern, posted the following on his twitter account on November 1st: Johann ‏@tweetsbyjohann Nov 1
Wearing a purple shirt and tie to your NU interview is akin to wearing the shirt of the band you are seeing. http://youtu.be/GgFcl3BrJpU

Attax

Postby Attax » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:18 pm

Mullens wrote:Hate to burst your bubble and confidence but someone was going to do it eventually. Johann, the Assistant Dean at Northwestern, posted the following on his twitter account on November 1st: Johann ‏@tweetsbyjohann Nov 1
Wearing a purple shirt and tie to your NU interview is akin to wearing the shirt of the band you are seeing. http://youtu.be/GgFcl3BrJpU

Haha, I don't have much chance of getting in anyway. It was an alumni interviewer who actually commented that it was a good move on my part and that she found it clever. It really did happen to be the only shirt and tie combo I had that fit, and that's what I told her. She then told me to own up to my cleverness.

The interview went really well otherwise, I seriously doubt that one act would make or break me.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:20 pm

Attax wrote:
Mullens wrote:Hate to burst your bubble and confidence but someone was going to do it eventually. Johann, the Assistant Dean at Northwestern, posted the following on his twitter account on November 1st: Johann ‏@tweetsbyjohann Nov 1

Haha, I don't have much chance of getting in anyway. It was an alumni interviewer who actually commented that it was a good move on my part and that she found it clever. It really did happen to be the only shirt and tie combo I had that fit, and that's what I told her. She then told me to own up to my cleverness.

The interview went really well otherwise, I seriously doubt that one act would make or break me.

You're probably right in thinking that it will not have an effect because you did an off-campus interviewer. I posted the quote from the twitter as a potential warning to anyone with an upcoming interview that might be inspired to wear purple after seeing your post.

Attax

Postby Attax » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:22 pm

Mullens wrote:
Attax wrote:

You're probably right in thinking that it will not have an effect because you did an off-campus interviewer. I posted the quote from the twitter as a potential warning to anyone with an upcoming interview that might be inspired to wear purple after seeing your post.

Oh definitely. If I were interviewing with someone on campus no way I'd do that! Unless it was an old dean. She commented how when she was there the dean wore purple every single day. Sucking up at its finest.

gta

Postby gta » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:51 pm

I have an alum interview set up for next week. Does NU move quickly after that?

Arrow4Christ

Postby Arrow4Christ » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:53 pm

Checking in. My numbers are >75 LSAT and GPA and my application went complete on 1/14. Good luck, everyone!
Last edited by Arrow4Christ on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

chneyo

Postby chneyo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:10 pm

Last edited by chneyo on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Arrow4Christ

Postby Arrow4Christ » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:20 pm

chneyo wrote:
Arrow4Christ wrote:Checking in. My numbers are >75 LSAT and GPA and my application went complete on 1/14. Good luck, everyone!

Damn, Jesús. Did you just like copy/paste this in every thread?

Tried to change the order of information in a few to spice it up, but apparently that strategy failed :oops:
Last edited by Arrow4Christ on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:44 pm

gta wrote:I have an alum interview set up for next week. Does NU move quickly after that?

I'm curious about this too. Interview Tuesday

mathwhiz87

Postby mathwhiz87 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:39 pm

I had my interview in mid-December, and I'm still in review. Granted, I also had the break and the polar vortex thrown in there too.

sandwich

Postby sandwich » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:09 pm

This thread is strangely quiet, considering the fact that I think we're all hoping for a wave of decisions tomorrow and I feel confident that we're all also irrationally hoping they come today...

Good luck everyone!

kenwash

Postby kenwash » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:18 pm

Still waiting for my app to go complete :? ...I don't think my interviewer sent in her part yet.

China Spy

Postby China Spy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:38 pm

So I sent my app last week. But have yet to receive a status checker or an email of any sort. Should I be worried?

MnM22

Postby MnM22 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:37 pm

sandwich wrote:This thread is strangely quiet, considering the fact that I think we're all hoping for a wave of decisions tomorrow and I feel confident that we're all also irrationally hoping they come today...

Good luck everyone!

I know! lol Johann has had no activity today so maybe he's busy toiling away for tomorrow's decision wave.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”