Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
objection_your_honor

Silver

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Post by objection_your_honor » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:54 pm

We have no idea if it will be today. Last Friday, Johann tweeted that there will be additional ED rounds (plural). So we could see a few days with ED movement this week.

carmensandiego

Bronze

Post by carmensandiego » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:56 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:We have no idea if it will be today. Last Friday, Johann tweeted that there will be additional ED rounds (plural). So we could see a few days with ED movement this week.
That's what I thought too. Wanted to make sure I didn't miss a memo. Thanks!

berndie90

New

Post by berndie90 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:14 pm

Are 150k scholarships possible if you are NOT ED? Or are they reserved only for those students?

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:40 pm

berndie90 wrote:Are 150k scholarships possible if you are NOT ED? Or are they reserved only for those students?
I think so. I know of some people who got it last cycle WITHOUT EDing. So that's what I'm hoping for.

P.S. Congrats on all the ED applicants who got accepted. It's a great deal!

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm

berndie90 wrote:Are 150k scholarships possible if you are NOT ED? Or are they reserved only for those students?
There were some people last year who got offered 150k scholarships if they'd defer 1 year (they were in undergrad and NU wanted them to gain some work experience)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Luchi91

Bronze

Post by Luchi91 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:40 pm

snapdragon25 wrote:
There were some people last year who got offered 150k scholarships if they'd defer 1 year (they were in undergrad and NU wanted them to gain some work experience)

Wow. That didn't know the money was attached. Northwestern is so kind!

All Star

New

Post by All Star » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:11 pm

What is the general consensus regarding the numbers required to be accepted into NU's ED program? Do you need exceptional softs or WE? I was thinking that a 3.8, 171 would probably be good enough, granted that you do well in the interview. Would any NU EDers care to share some wisdom? Thanks

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:06 pm

All Star wrote:What is the general consensus regarding the numbers required to be accepted into NU's ED program? Do you need exceptional softs or WE? I was thinking that a 3.8, 171 would probably be good enough, granted that you do well in the interview. Would any NU EDers care to share some wisdom? Thanks
I was a precisely at median candidate, and I think that my interview played an important role in my acceptance. Certain things that I remember my interviewer saying are "You seem to have done your research about NU and the state of the current legal market," and "You're doing good work for one of the most praised Non-Profits in the country". (I.e., Habitat for Humanity.) I had a prepared answer for "Why NU?" (Answer: Bluhm Legal Clinic). I discussed my experience managing large projects as a paralegal and as an undergrad (worked on 2 briefs and an undergrad thesis). I have a leadership position thru AmeriCorps, which I discussed. I addressed directly what I expected my recommenders to say about me, (I.e. "Student developed ability to write with clarity.") I had a very positive recommendation from an attorney with whom I worked intimately. I also referenced my work experience to say how it influenced my career goals. Check out my profile to read about my softs. PM me with more questions. GL to all!

NYC-WVU

Bronze

Post by NYC-WVU » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:28 pm

jaredcal wrote:This might be early, can we make a Northwestern accepted thread or an FB group???
Yes. Please start a thread in the Class of 2017 forum. I'm not good with the internets.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrsHello

New

Post by MrsHello » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:32 pm

Just finished my OCI and I think it went well... Went on for 1.5 hours and she even recommended to somebody who works in the same company as me, who she knows goes to Northwestern Law as well. :D

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:51 pm

MrsHello wrote:Just finished my OCI and I think it went well... Went on for 1.5 hours and she even recommended to somebody who works in the same company as me, who she knows goes to Northwestern Law as well. :D
OCI makes it sound like you are ready a student

dagny05

New

Post by dagny05 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:12 pm

All Star wrote:What is the general consensus regarding the numbers required to be accepted into NU's ED program? Do you need exceptional softs or WE? I was thinking that a 3.8, 171 would probably be good enough, granted that you do well in the interview. Would any NU EDers care to share some wisdom? Thanks
I was accepted ED with 3.85 and 173 with several years of solid work experience. It really can't hurt to apply in any case, the ED $ is a great deal.

All Star

New

Post by All Star » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:17 pm

whereskyle wrote:
I was a precisely at median candidate, and I think that my interview played an important role in my acceptance. Certain things that I remember my interviewer saying are "You seem to have done your research about NU and the state of the current legal market," and "You're doing good work for one of the most praised Non-Profits in the country". (I.e., Habitat for Humanity.) I had a prepared answer for "Why NU?" (Answer: Bluhm Legal Clinic). I discussed my experience managing large projects as a paralegal and as an undergrad (worked on 2 briefs and an undergrad thesis). I have a leadership position thru AmeriCorps, which I discussed. I addressed directly what I expected my recommenders to say about me, (I.e. "Student developed ability to write with clarity.") I had a very positive recommendation from an attorney with whom I worked intimately. I also referenced my work experience to say how it influenced my career goals. Check out my profile to read about my softs. PM me with more questions. GL to all!
Congratulations on the NU ED scholly! And thanks for the information, I unfortunately will not have any work experience or quality softs when I apply to NU ED next cycle, so I'm hoping for a 172 in June to hopefully make up for that. Another question- do they interview all ED candidates or only those who they wish to pursue?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

carmensandiego

Bronze

Post by carmensandiego » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:07 pm

All Star wrote:
whereskyle wrote:
Congratulations on the NU ED scholly! And thanks for the information, I unfortunately will not have any work experience or quality softs when I apply to NU ED next cycle, so I'm hoping for a 172 in June to hopefully make up for that. Another question- do they interview all ED candidates or only those who they wish to pursue?
An interview is required for anyone applying ED, but not so for RD. However they make it pretty clear that it's encouraged for RD.

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:59 pm

I emailed my interviewer on the 9th requesting that he/she send me a time that we can meet for the interview. Crickets. Any course of action besides waiting patiently? How long before I email NU?

kobe1020

Bronze

Post by kobe1020 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:13 am

Question

Anyone who accidentally missed or intentionally skipped interview? International student here can't do with on nor off campus interview. How does that hurt my chance? Advice needed. Thanks!!!

ColShRo

New

Post by ColShRo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:50 am

If you are an international student, and you don't live anywhere near the cities and towns listed as where alumni reside, the admissions office will schedule a skype interview for you.

Hope this helps, and hope everything works out for you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Babum

Bronze

Post by Babum » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:04 am

kobe1020 wrote:Question

Anyone who accidentally missed or intentionally skipped interview? International student here can't do with on nor off campus interview. How does that hurt my chance? Advice needed. Thanks!!!
You have to choose off Campus as a location and somewhere along the options it says others. That should lead you to create a Skype one.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:04 am

snapdragon25 wrote:
paglababa wrote:
I think so. I know of some people who got it last cycle WITHOUT EDing. So that's what I'm hoping for.

P.S. Congrats on all the ED applicants who got accepted. It's a great deal!
Both are true. K-JDs can get the deferment option, but other strong candidates with WE also get 150k offers as RD.
NYC-WVU wrote:
jaredcal wrote:This might be early, can we make a Northwestern accepted thread or an FB group???
Yes. Please start a thread in the Class of 2017 forum. I'm not good with the internets.
Its up to you guys to start your thread here, but there will be an official FB group that will get made by an upperclassman (probably a current 1L, that's what happened last year). I think info about the FB group was included in some admissions stuff, but a lot of people hadn't heard about it when school started, so I'd recommend promoting it on the c/o 2017 thread eventually. And I have no idea when the FB group gets made, but it was in full swing when I got accepted in Feb.

twobitrye

New

Post by twobitrye » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:05 am

blink wrote:I emailed my interviewer on the 9th requesting that he/she send me a time that we can meet for the interview. Crickets. Any course of action besides waiting patiently? How long before I email NU?
It took just over two weeks for my NU interviewer to get back to me after I sent him the initial email. I think the time it takes for the interviewer to respond varies widely from person to person. I'm sure you want to get the interview in before the holidays, but I'd suggest waiting until January before sending an email.

On related note, I waited about a month before asking Georgetown about the delay in hearing back from my interviewer and they handled it immediately .

NYC-WVU

Bronze

Post by NYC-WVU » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:09 am

All Star wrote:
whereskyle wrote:
As mentioned above, an interview is required for ED. However, it does not appear that there is much of a threshold (if any) to be granted an interview. In fact, I scheduled my on campus interview before applying, and the scheduling was automatic. There was no waiting for a confirmation; I just signed up for an open slot. So unless they have some way to instantaneously and automatically reject people based on their LSAC profile, it appears that interviews (or at least the early ones) are granted to everyone.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Luchi91

Bronze

Post by Luchi91 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:32 pm

@tweetsbyjohann: Off-site in my file reading bunker. No decisions today (that I'm aware of). Soon... very soon.

Guess the decisions are hard? Haha. Good sign!

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:39 pm

Luchi91 wrote:@tweetsbyjohann: Off-site in my file reading bunker. No decisions today (that I'm aware of). Soon... very soon.

I like that part. I wish all the T14 would use Twitter to provide more transparency to the process. It would save us a lot of stress :D

carmensandiego

Bronze

Post by carmensandiego » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:40 pm

Luchi91 wrote:@tweetsbyjohann: Off-site in my file reading bunker. No decisions today (that I'm aware of). Soon... very soon.

Ahhhhh! I guess I can leave my computer for the day (or longer than 20 minutes at a time) and do something productive. Good luck ya'll!

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:48 pm

I have my interview today! :shock:

Any good suggestions for questions? I'm thinking of asking him about how relocating back to this area went and what he likes about his specific area of work.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”