Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Is Duke Law School your top choice?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:23 pm

Yes.
8
36%
No.
11
50%
I have no clue.
3
14%
 
Total votes: 22

User avatar
05062014
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby 05062014 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:06 pm

To the guy that said Loci submission post PR decision would account for the possibility of this being a strategy of yp or not... It's almost laughable that you believe this

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Kimikho » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:10 pm

abdistotle wrote:To the guy that said Loci submission post PR decision would account for the possibility of this being a strategy of yp or not... It's almost laughable that you believe this


:?:

User avatar
05062014
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby 05062014 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:12 pm

How much harder is it to write up a loci than fill out an application in the first place ?

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Kimikho » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:19 pm

abdistotle wrote:How much harder is it to write up a loci than fill out an application in the first place ?


what is your initial question? why people write LOCIs or why people don't write Why X essays?

User avatar
05062014
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby 05062014 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:21 pm

Neither one is really my Q, scoobers... I don't think my position is even remotely difficult to understand. Sorry we cannot see eye to eye on this issue

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Kimikho » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:53 pm

abdistotle wrote:Neither one is really my Q, scoobers... I don't think my position is even remotely difficult to understand. Sorry we cannot see eye to eye on this issue

...sure

User avatar
lastsamurai
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby lastsamurai » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:55 pm

I'll back you up scoobs - I have no idea what this guy is talking about

NoDayButToday
Posts: 1031
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby NoDayButToday » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:27 pm

.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:01 pm

Got an email from the admissions director. He said they had completed initial review of my app (I'm on PT), but "invited" me to submit one of the optional essays detailing why Duke. :? Not sure if this is a YP move or trying to decide whether to WL me or not...

Of course I sent one in within the hour and now I'm back to "file under review." I was at "more information requested" earlier today.

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby phillywc » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:10 pm

lastsamurai wrote:I'll back you up scoobs - I have no idea what this guy is talking about

^

I think I know what he's trying to say (calling out the person who thinks just writing a LOCI will get you right off WL) but he said it completely in a 120 way

User avatar
05062014
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby 05062014 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:18 pm

Thank you. I was blowing off steam at the gym as I posted earlier. I wonder if my having to send an updated final transcript (and thus delaying the PT process an extra 1-2 weeks) screwed me over. I think writing a why duke essay would've helped. I think my geographic location relative to duke, in the north east, also made YP more likely. Contemplating writing a loci soon, although I feel like it's a lost cause at this point

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby phillywc » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:38 pm

abdistotle wrote:Thank you. I was blowing off steam at the gym as I posted earlier. I wonder if my having to send an updated final transcript (and thus delaying the PT process an extra 1-2 weeks) screwed me over. I think writing a why duke essay would've helped. I think my geographic location relative to duke, in the north east, also made YP more likely. Contemplating writing a loci soon, although I feel like it's a lost cause at this point

I understand the frustration bro but don't come at people who are trying to help. You didn't represent yourself clearly and Scoobers thought you had a question and was trying to help.

That said, write a nice strong LOCI and you could get off. I strongly recommend.

User avatar
05062014
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby 05062014 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:50 pm

I still think what I wrote was clear enough and I wasn't trying to come at anyone. What is unclear to me is whether scoobers was sincerely trying to help. If he was, I apologize scoobs!

I am frustrated, mainly because I don't see myself getting $$$ from Duke as I had hoped for before applying. I have searched online, and the likelihood of even being admitted now is a long shot. Money on top of it seems to be asking for a miracle. I am also worried about the rest of the cycle for me now, as I am sure other PRed people are.

Ok I am done venting. Congrats to the people who were admitted and goodluck to all who are attending duke! Abdistotle out.

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby phillywc » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:55 pm

abdistotle wrote:I still think what I wrote was clear enough and I wasn't trying to come at anyone. What is unclear to me is whether scoobers was sincerely trying to help. If he was, I apologize scoobs!

I am frustrated, mainly because I don't see myself getting $$$ from Duke as I had hoped for before applying. I have searched online, and the likelihood of even being admitted now is a long shot. Money on top of it seems to be asking for a miracle. I am also worried about the rest of the cycle for me now, as I am sure other PRed people are.

Ok I am done venting. Congrats to the people who were admitted and goodluck to all who are attending duke! Abdistotle out.

She was, promise. She's a nice lady. Also, if it was YP and not a legit WL because you are borderline, you can absolutely get money off the WL.

edwardt1988
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby edwardt1988 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:53 am

abdistotle wrote:To the guy that said Loci submission post PR decision would account for the possibility of this being a strategy of yp or not... It's almost laughable that you believe this


I'm not sure if you are referring to me. I mentioned that I wrote a LOCI after PR

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby neprep » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:56 am

lawschool22 wrote:Got an email from the admissions director. He said they had completed initial review of my app (I'm on PT), but "invited" me to submit one of the optional essays detailing why Duke. :? Not sure if this is a YP move or trying to decide whether to WL me or not...

Of course I sent one in within the hour and now I'm back to "file under review." I was at "more information requested" earlier today.


Woah…they do that? I think they must really like you and are trying to figure out whether to YP or not.

worried0L
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby worried0L » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:02 am

lawschool22 wrote:Got an email from the admissions director. He said they had completed initial review of my app (I'm on PT), but "invited" me to submit one of the optional essays detailing why Duke. :? Not sure if this is a YP move or trying to decide whether to WL me or not...

Of course I sent one in within the hour and now I'm back to "file under review." I was at "more information requested" earlier today.



not sure if not receiving said email is a bad sign...i went complete at the same time as you.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby drawstring » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:25 am

lawschool22 wrote:Got an email from the admissions director. He said they had completed initial review of my app (I'm on PT), but "invited" me to submit one of the optional essays detailing why Duke. :? Not sure if this is a YP move or trying to decide whether to WL me or not...

Of course I sent one in within the hour and now I'm back to "file under review." I was at "more information requested" earlier today.


For what it's worth, I have the same LSAT as you but a significantly higher GPA (well over their 75th ), and I was accepted w/o any email hinting at YP.

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Kimikho » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:47 am

abdistotle wrote:I still think what I wrote was clear enough and I wasn't trying to come at anyone. What is unclear to me is whether scoobers was sincerely trying to help. If he she was, I apologize scoobs!

I am frustrated, mainly because I don't see myself getting $$$ from Duke as I had hoped for before applying. I have searched online, and the likelihood of even being admitted now is a long shot. Money on top of it seems to be asking for a miracle. I am also worried about the rest of the cycle for me now, as I am sure other PRed people are.

Ok I am done venting. Congrats to the people who were admitted and goodluck to all who are attending duke! Abdistotle out.


forgiven! :)

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:40 am

drawstring wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:Got an email from the admissions director. He said they had completed initial review of my app (I'm on PT), but "invited" me to submit one of the optional essays detailing why Duke. :? Not sure if this is a YP move or trying to decide whether to WL me or not...

Of course I sent one in within the hour and now I'm back to "file under review." I was at "more information requested" earlier today.


For what it's worth, I have the same LSAT as you but a significantly higher GPA (well over their 75th ), and I was accepted w/o any email hinting at YP.


Yeah...that's what has me thinking WL. They seem to be doing that to people with GPA's around mine, even with a competitive LSAT.

He also said that my personal statement was excellent, but it would be helpful to know more about the specific reasons for my interest in law school, which I thought was interesting as well. My PS related to a specific hardship/event in my life, and how I responded to it and how it shaped me, but definitely was not law-school specific. Overall I just don't know how to read into his email :)!

User avatar
raindrop
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:35 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby raindrop » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:43 am

Hoping to kill December LSAT to offset my 3.3. mylsn seems to indicate a 170+ is needed... With a good why duke and (maybe) ED I think I have a decent chance. Good luck everyone.

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby neprep » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:56 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
drawstring wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:Got an email from the admissions director. He said they had completed initial review of my app (I'm on PT), but "invited" me to submit one of the optional essays detailing why Duke. :? Not sure if this is a YP move or trying to decide whether to WL me or not...

Of course I sent one in within the hour and now I'm back to "file under review." I was at "more information requested" earlier today.


For what it's worth, I have the same LSAT as you but a significantly higher GPA (well over their 75th ), and I was accepted w/o any email hinting at YP.


Yeah...that's what has me thinking WL. They seem to be doing that to people with GPA's around mine, even with a competitive LSAT.

He also said that my personal statement was excellent, but it would be helpful to know more about the specific reasons for my interest in law school, which I thought was interesting as well. My PS related to a specific hardship/event in my life, and how I responded to it and how it shaped me, but definitely was not law-school specific. Overall I just don't know how to read into his email :)!


:shock: I'm a little below their GPA median (above LSAT 75th though).

User avatar
okok
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby okok » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:38 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
drawstring wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:Got an email from the admissions director. He said they had completed initial review of my app (I'm on PT), but "invited" me to submit one of the optional essays detailing why Duke. :? Not sure if this is a YP move or trying to decide whether to WL me or not...

Of course I sent one in within the hour and now I'm back to "file under review." I was at "more information requested" earlier today.


For what it's worth, I have the same LSAT as you but a significantly higher GPA (well over their 75th ), and I was accepted w/o any email hinting at YP.


Yeah...that's what has me thinking WL. They seem to be doing that to people with GPA's around mine, even with a competitive LSAT.

He also said that my personal statement was excellent, but it would be helpful to know more about the specific reasons for my interest in law school, which I thought was interesting as well. My PS related to a specific hardship/event in my life, and how I responded to it and how it shaped me, but definitely was not law-school specific. Overall I just don't know how to read into his email :)!

I would see the email as good news.
Seems like a decision between wl and admit and a good supplemental essay will make your app an admit.


if you don't mind my asking, is your lsat a one shot or a retake?

NoDayButToday
Posts: 1031
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby NoDayButToday » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:15 pm

.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby drawstring » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:17 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:Sorry to be ignorant, but what does it mean to be on "PT?"


http://law.duke.edu/prioritytrack/

https://www.admissionsdean.com/researching_law_schools/interview/bill-hoye (scroll down)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cyclawps, DoYouEvenTLS, hamburg, jer0689, Keilz, lillawyer2, sonyco, TecumsehSherman, texteach, unrelated and 39 guests