Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Is Duke Law School your top choice?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:23 pm

Yes.
8
36%
No.
11
50%
I have no clue.
3
14%
 
Total votes: 22

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Lavitz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:14 am

curious66 wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:
curious66 wrote:Duke had more applicants this cycle (one of only 4 schools that showed an increase in applicants) & they have two rounds of ED & priority track. Part of this is Duke's excellent biglaw placement last several years]. I don't see how their median LSAT or GPA drops. Frankly, they were very well positioned overall (one or two deep splitters will not change it that much).


(Duke CSO)


What's CSO? Sorry for my ignorance :).

Career Services Officer.

And 12 schools had an increase in apps, not 4. Also, Cornell was one of the 12.

Sincerely,

Cornell CSO in-training

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Lavitz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:37 am

Actually, while I'm here, I'll give a brief rundown of last cycle based on what I can remember:

  • Priority track invites/accelerated ED invites/fee waivers were sent out a few days before the app opened on August 25th.
  • They also sent out more PT invites after the October test (not sure about December).
  • For PT candidates, I believe we established that you received a response within 10 calendar days of the date your app went complete.
  • They can release decisions in the evening and over the weekend.
  • If you're not invited to PT, you may have a long wait: first RD acceptances were in December.

Good luck to all applicants!

User avatar
aldiddy
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby aldiddy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:39 am

Checking in! One of my top picks

thenewguy
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:51 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby thenewguy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:43 am

Lavitz wrote:Actually, while I'm here, I'll give a brief rundown of last cycle based on what I can remember:

  • Priority track invites/accelerated ED invites/fee waivers were sent out a few days before the app opened on August 25th.
  • They also sent out more PT invites after the October test (not sure about December).
  • For PT candidates, I believe we established that you received a response within 10 calendar days of the date your app went complete.
  • They can release decisions in the evening and over the weekend.
  • If you're not invited to PT, you may have a long wait: first RD acceptances were in December.

Good luck to all applicants!


Can you elaborate on this priority track? Is it chosen in a similar manner as fee waivers or do you need to do some soliciting ?

User avatar
ThetaX
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:12 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby ThetaX » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:56 am

Duke Priority Track students are chosen by Duke, no soliciting is necessary. As long as you have your transcripts sent to CRS and have taken the LSAT, Duke may opt to invite you to apply via Priority Track.

Hapalawyer
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:23 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Hapalawyer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:23 am

Is it possible to get on the Duke PT list without having transcripts fully processed? (I guess it would have to be based on the self estimate). Thanks!

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby curious66 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:23 am

ThetaX wrote:Duke Priority Track students are chosen by Duke, no soliciting is necessary. As long as you have your transcripts sent to CRS and have taken the LSAT, Duke may opt to invite you to apply via Priority Track.


yes.. this is correct. PT applicants are chosen by Duke. I think they mostly go by LSAT score -- but it is a great concept, as you get your decision in 10 days and it is non-binding. First wave comes out in August.

thenewguy
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:51 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby thenewguy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:23 am

ThetaX wrote:Duke Priority Track students are chosen by Duke, no soliciting is necessary. As long as you have your transcripts sent to CRS and have taken the LSAT, Duke may opt to invite you to apply via Priority Track.


Thank you for your response. I have a few follow up questions then if anyone knows:

-when do they send these out?
-what are the standards for getting one? if there is a quantifiable method to the madness
-how many people typically get them? (similar ? to above)

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby curious66 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:28 am

thenewguy wrote:
ThetaX wrote:Duke Priority Track students are chosen by Duke, no soliciting is necessary. As long as you have your transcripts sent to CRS and have taken the LSAT, Duke may opt to invite you to apply via Priority Track.


Thank you for your response. I have a few follow up questions then if anyone knows:

-when do they send these out?
-what are the standards for getting one? if there is a quantifiable method to the madness
-how many people typically get them? (similar ? to above)


See the info from Lavitz in a post above. mostly LSAT score & transcripts submitted in CRS.. I got mine last August but I don't remember if my transcripts were submitted by then so, someone else with a better memory can respond. Duke says a small % get them, I don't believe I have seen official numbers of PT applicants. One more thing, if you do ED Duke, they gave out $5K scholarships (per year) for those accepted ED (as a very nice appreciation gift maybe ?). I did not do ED so, had to wait until Feb for scholarship info.

thenewguy
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:51 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby thenewguy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:31 am

curious66 wrote:
thenewguy wrote:
ThetaX wrote:Duke Priority Track students are chosen by Duke, no soliciting is necessary. As long as you have your transcripts sent to CRS and have taken the LSAT, Duke may opt to invite you to apply via Priority Track.


Thank you for your response. I have a few follow up questions then if anyone knows:

-when do they send these out?
-what are the standards for getting one? if there is a quantifiable method to the madness
-how many people typically get them? (similar ? to above)


See the info from Lavitz in a post above. mostly LSAT score & transcripts submitted in CRS.. I got mine last August but I don't remember if my transcripts were submitted by then so, someone else with a better memory can respond. Duke says a small % get them, I don't believe I have seen official numbers of PT applicants. One more thing, if you do ED Duke, they gave out $5K scholarships (per year) for those accepted ED (as a very nice appreciation gift maybe ?). I did not do ED so, had to wait until Feb for scholarship info.


Interesting. Thank you very much all.

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby curious66 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:49 am

your welcome!! Good luck to all -- the cycle should begin soon :)

User avatar
mindarmed
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby mindarmed » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:11 am

anyone ITT have an anecdote of a sub 3.0 GPA person receiving a PT invite?

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby mr.hands » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:16 pm

armedwithamind wrote:anyone ITT have an anecdote of a sub 3.0 GPA person receiving a PT invite?


I think they have a 3.4ish floor. I've never heard of a sub-3.0 getting an invite but who knows

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby curious66 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:47 pm

more info on PT from Dean Hoye interview some time back:

Question: Given how much time and energy goes into your selection process, how do you manage to make decisions on some applications in only ten days?
Dean Hoye: You’re referring to our Priority Track program. Each year, we invite a small number of candidates to apply to Duke through this program. We guarantee that the applicants will receive a response from us within ten days after the application becomes complete. The response could be an offer of admission, a waitlist offer, an invitation to interview, a deny decision. Or, in some cases, we have to hold the file for further review. But the applicant will hear something back relatively quickly. We keep the Priority Track pool very small so that we can give each application the same rigorous treatment that every other application receives, but we’re careful to ensure that the evaluation happens within a very tight timeframe. Of course, this can make for some very late nights and previous Priority Track applicants might tell you that they received their email decisions at very odd hours!

Entire interview here: --LinkRemoved-- other inteviews also posted (Dean Z from UMich, Jessica S. from Harvard etc).

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:54 pm

I was invited to PT at Duke in early January (Oct LSAT taker). So they send those out after the new year, presumably with Dec LSAT data in hand.

Got my admit decision in 9 CDs at around 6:30PM CA time (9:30PM in Durham). So yes, they work late nights for PT.

Financial aid info came in ~3 wks later after I submitted NeedAccess and signed a simple request form. Duke's PT program and finaid are some of the most enjoyable and transparect elements of the cycle. Dean Hoye runs a tight ship and anyone who gets to work with him will be pleasantly surprised (aid is extremely generous).

Good luck all.

thenewguy
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:51 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby thenewguy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:28 pm

Great stuff all. Anyone able to take an educated guess at an LSAT floor for this PT?

User avatar
ThetaX
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:12 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby ThetaX » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:24 pm

thenewguy wrote:Great stuff all. Anyone able to take an educated guess at an LSAT floor for this PT?


I'm sure GPA plays a solid role. Perhaps a 3.5 GPA/169 LSAT is a reasonable floor for Non-URMs.

User avatar
jrsbaseball5
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:59 pm

Hey everyone quick question about PT track here. Recently I asked for a viewbook and entered my LSAC account number on line and received an email from Duke. After reading through the posts here I went back to the website and saw this message concerning PT:

"We appreciate your interest in Duke Law School! The information about your strong academic record which we received from the Law School Admissions Council has qualified you to apply through our Priority Track application program. This program guarantees that you will receive a response on your application within ten days of completing your file. In addition, your application fee will be waived automatically when you submit it through LSAC. This is a non-binding program; if you are admitted to Duke, you may freely consider offers of admission from other law schools.

The first step in applying through the Priority Track is completing the form on this page. Then you'll receive additional information about the Priority Track application process and the Duke Law curriculum and community. We look forward to working with you!"

I assume this is the standard response on the page since I have not submitted my transcript or taken the LSAT yet. Or maybe they go information from my LSAC account. I would like to register to apply for the PT track, but don't know if I can even apply for it yet since my info isn't submitted.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Lavitz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:02 pm

Everyone can access that page, but it will only work for people invited. You enter your LSAC number and they will compare it to a list of people they've invited.

User avatar
jrsbaseball5
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:05 pm

Lavitz wrote:Everyone can access that page, but it will only work for people invited. You enter your LSAC number and they will compare it to a list of people they've invited.


Ok, perfect. It just seemed kinda odd that it would say based on information we received from LSAC you are eligible to apply. Can you apply to be considered whenever or is it best to do once more of the hard numbers are in?

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:11 pm

ThetaX wrote:I'm sure GPA plays a solid role. Perhaps a 3.5 GPA/169 LSAT is a reasonable floor for Non-URMs.



wut about for URMS

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Lavitz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:11 pm

Yeah, it's just that they don't make the page accessible to PT candidates only--even though that's who they intend it for.

Are you asking if you can ask them to be considered for PT without both transcripts and gpa? Probably not. I don't think they let people solicit PT invites in general. But who knows, maybe If you express interest, they'll look for you on CRS.

User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:39 pm

Lavitz wrote:Yeah, it's just that they don't make the page accessible to PT candidates only--even though that's who they intend it for.

Are you asking if you can ask them to be considered for PT without both transcripts and gpa? Probably not. I don't think they let people solicit PT invites in general. But who knows, maybe If you express interest, they'll look for you on CRS.


IME you cannot solicit a PT invite

As for who gets one, there was little rhyme/reason to who got one last cycle. Many people with good stats got them but others with 170-175s with good GPAs did not. If you don't get an invite, don't worry about if reflecting on your chances of admissions if you're an otherwise qualified candidate

User avatar
jrsbaseball5
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:10 pm

Lavitz wrote:Yeah, it's just that they don't make the page accessible to PT candidates only--even though that's who they intend it for.

Are you asking if you can ask them to be considered for PT without both transcripts and gpa? Probably not. I don't think they let people solicit PT invites in general. But who knows, maybe If you express interest, they'll look for you on CRS.


What I was referring to is on that same page where it encourages PT registration there is a place to enter your name, LSAC number, and email address to "Register to apply via Priority Track" which makes me think you could, but who knows.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Lavitz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:13 pm

jrsbaseball5 wrote:What I was referring to is on that same page where it encourages PT registration there is a place to enter your name, LSAC number, and email address to "Register to apply via Priority Track" which makes me think you could, but who knows.

Nope. Sorry, I didn't actually go to the page to see what you were looking at because I was on my phone before. But that's just where the people already invited enter their info.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”