Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Is Duke Law School your top choice?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:23 pm

Yes.
8
36%
No.
11
50%
I have no clue.
3
14%
 
Total votes: 22

User avatar
wowhio
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby wowhio » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:00 pm

Scholarship acquired. 24k/year.

I am impressed with Duke.

quincym.e.
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:57 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby quincym.e. » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:59 am

----
Last edited by quincym.e. on Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dreamofNYC
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby dreamofNYC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Dear all Duke Law enthusiasts,

I applied on March 13th (after receiving a surprise fee waver application invitation); still waiting for a decision. My file is "under review". I have the following stats. How strong are they? Why haven't I gotten a rejection email yet?

LSAT: 163
LSAC GPA: 1.83 (undergrad). Graduate GPA: 3.5 (Columbia - Masters in Int'l Affairs)
6 yrs of work experience (legal / project management) in Private Equity / Environmental Markets
Int'l student, NY resident, green-card holder

Hope to join all of you in the fall!

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:56 pm

dreamofNYC wrote:Dear all Duke Law enthusiasts,

I applied on March 13th (after receiving a surprise fee waver application invitation); still waiting for a decision. My file is "under review". I have the following stats. How strong are they? Why haven't I gotten a rejection email yet?

LSAT: 163
LSAC GPA: 1.83 (undergrad). Graduate GPA: 3.5 (Columbia - Masters in Int'l Affairs)
6 yrs of work experience (legal / project management) in Private Equity / Environmental Markets
Int'l student, NY resident, green-card holder

Hope to join all of you in the fall!


Is that GPA accurate? Unfortunately not likely at all, you seem to have strong softs but LS admissions is primarily a numbers game, and you're well below both 25ths.

I assume you wouldn't be considered URM since you're international

dreamofNYC
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby dreamofNYC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:07 pm

james.bungles wrote:
dreamofNYC wrote:Dear all Duke Law enthusiasts,

I applied on March 13th (after receiving a surprise fee waver application invitation); still waiting for a decision. My file is "under review". I have the following stats. How strong are they? Why haven't I gotten a rejection email yet?

LSAT: 163
LSAC GPA: 3.83 (undergrad). Graduate GPA: 3.5 (Columbia - Masters in Int'l Affairs)
6 yrs of work experience (legal / project management) in Private Equity / Environmental Markets
Int'l student, NY resident, green-card holder

Hope to join all of you in the fall!


Is that GPA accurate? Unfortunately not likely at all, you seem to have strong softs but LS admissions is primarily a numbers game, and you're well below both 25ths.

I assume you wouldn't be considered URM since you're international


What's URM? Sorry I am still having trouble with some of the acronyms on this site. I just updated the GPA. Yeah, the LSAT esp. killed me. It was a totally new type of exam for me.... I might retake and try again next fall. Also, I am a permanent resident, so hopefully that helps (as opposed to being an int'l student). Thanks!

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:14 pm

Lol ok well you're not in a bad position. Probably out at Duke (maybe a waitlist), and if you got in somehow got in it would be at full price, which is not a great option anyway. With that GPA, retake for 170+ and you can get in anywhere, including full rides at lower T14 like Duke. Definitely take this cycle off, put in the time to get the LSAT up, and apply early.

URM means under represented minority BTW (AA, hispanic, NA)

dreamofNYC
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby dreamofNYC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:18 pm

james.bungles wrote:Lol ok well you're not in a bad position. Probably out at Duke (maybe a waitlist), and if you got in somehow got in it would be at full price, which is not a great option anyway. With that GPA, retake for 170+ and you can get in anywhere, including full rides at lower T14 like Duke. Definitely take this cycle off, put in the time to get the LSAT up, and apply early.

URM means under represented minority BTW (AA, hispanic, NA)


I see. Thanks so much! I'll retake the LSAT then. :)

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:21 pm

this should give you a good idea of what getting six to eight more questions right on the LSAT will do for your admissions chances:

Image

Image

User avatar
Howl
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:11 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Howl » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:01 pm

Withdrew today. Good luck to all and any who are still waiting to hear back!!

dreamofNYC
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby dreamofNYC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:03 pm

james.bungles wrote:this should give you a good idea of what getting six to eight more questions right on the LSAT will do for your admissions chances:

Image

Image


Wow awesome analysis. Thanks so much. This is really giving me some courage to take the LSAT again and re-apply in the next cycle. Thank you... :)

yost
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby yost » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:27 pm

Decision made; watch for email

bluemonkey219
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:14 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby bluemonkey219 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:35 pm

yost wrote:Decision made; watch for email


Same here.

User avatar
mazer
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:42 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby mazer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:39 pm

bluemonkey219 wrote:
yost wrote:Decision made; watch for email


Same here.


Yep, no e-mail yet though. Apparently it's gone to the spam folder for a number of people, so it's worth keeping an eye there, too.

dreamofNYC
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby dreamofNYC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:40 pm

yost wrote:Decision made; watch for email


Does that mean it's an accept? I checked mine, and it is still under review. I submitted it on 3/13 though. Quite late in the game.

yost
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby yost » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:42 pm

dreamofNYC wrote:
yost wrote:Decision made; watch for email


Does that mean it's an accept? I checked mine, and it is still under review. I submitted it on 3/13 though. Quite late in the game.


I think it always says that, regardless of the actual decision.

User avatar
PB&J.D.
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby PB&J.D. » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:50 pm

Waitlisted

yost
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby yost » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:50 pm

PB&J.D. wrote:Waitlisted


Me too.

bluemonkey219
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:14 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby bluemonkey219 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:51 pm

Waitlisted.

User avatar
mazer
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:42 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby mazer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:54 pm

Waitlist too

User avatar
AceDeuces
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby AceDeuces » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:56 pm

Waitlisted. I'm withdrawing. Good luck! Follow your dreams!

User avatar
deuceindc
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby deuceindc » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:00 pm

yost wrote:
PB&J.D. wrote:Waitlisted


Me too.


Three. I ain't mad - had a late app and I'm a hard splitter so I knew I was far from a lock.

On the plus side, I've got a really good reason to visit Durham this spring.

User avatar
njdevils2626
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby njdevils2626 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:25 pm

Rejected. Late application and super splitter so I'm not surprised exactly, but it would have been nice

VivaWisconsin
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:55 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby VivaWisconsin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:40 pm

Waitlisted.

User avatar
fallingwater
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:16 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby fallingwater » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:57 pm

WL. Any knowledge about how people have gotten in later?

maple22
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:44 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby maple22 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:44 am

WL for me as well




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”