Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Is Duke Law School your top choice?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:23 pm

Yes.
36%
No.
50%
I have no clue.
14%

Total votes: 22

Chekhov'sGun

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Chekhov'sGun » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:26 pm

2014entering2014 wrote:status checker says scholly info sent, with the date being tomorrow! anyone know if duke does paper or email scholarship notification, and if paper, whether it's by snail mail or ups/fedex?

They send them via snail mail.

ec24

Postby ec24 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:43 pm

Anyone else getting antsy on not hearing back regarding scholarships? I was admitted first week of January and submitted my app more than 2 months ago!

Serett

Postby Serett » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:35 pm

ec24 wrote:Anyone else getting antsy on not hearing back regarding scholarships? I was admitted first week of January and submitted my app more than 2 months ago!

Yes, feel free to join us in the Class of 2017 thread.

bluemonkey219

Postby bluemonkey219 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:57 pm

Is it just me or does it seem like Duke has been way quiet lately? I'm still sitting at a UR2 date of 2/17. I know others waited longer than I have to get their decisions, but I'm getting a little stressed out by the fact that Duke hasn't been sending many decisions out in the last couple of weeks.

2014entering2014

Postby 2014entering2014 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:30 pm

did anyone else just receive a package from Duke Law and get super excited that it's scholly info but then turns out it's a sweatshirt?

not that I don't think it's awesome to have a sweatshirt, but this isn't their "financial aid package" that's their nice way of saying "hey, so you get $0, but this can keep you warm while you cry!", right?

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:37 pm

bluemonkey219 wrote:Is it just me or does it seem like Duke has been way quiet lately? I'm still sitting at a UR2 date of 2/17. I know others waited longer than I have to get their decisions, but I'm getting a little stressed out by the fact that Duke hasn't been sending many decisions out in the last couple of weeks.

Right there with you. UR date was the same too.

Duke is probably the only T14 I applied to that's worth paying more for than UT. Didn't have #s for UVA, & Georgetown is still too expensive for a moderate boost in job prospects; NW is the same.... Most of the rest require too much legwork because Texas firms don't actively search for grads as much as the rest as they do at UVA/Duke/GULC/NW.

It's not looking good for me, however, because I got WLed at NW and GULC, and thinking back on it, I highly regret not writing a Why Duke?

Anyone know if they take late material for consideration? I already have a LOCI drafted in case of wait list :lol: .

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:31 pm

El Principe wrote:
bluemonkey219 wrote:Is it just me or does it seem like Duke has been way quiet lately? I'm still sitting at a UR2 date of 2/17. I know others waited longer than I have to get their decisions, but I'm getting a little stressed out by the fact that Duke hasn't been sending many decisions out in the last couple of weeks.

Duke is probably the only T14 I applied to that's worth paying more for than UT. Didn't have #s for UVA, & Georgetown is still too expensive for a moderate boost in job prospects; NW is the same.... Most of the rest require too much legwork because Texas firms don't actively search for grads as much as the rest as they do at UVA/Duke/GULC/NW.

It's not looking good for me, however, because I got WLed at NW and GULC, and thinking back on it, I highly regret not writing a Why Duke?

Anyone know if they take late material for consideration? I already have a LOCI drafted in case of wait list :lol: .

i don't know if they'll actually consider it, but i will say that the why duke essay i sent last week was added to my file - according to the adcomm who responded to my email within a half hour. can't hurt to try!

thywizardofwit

Postby thywizardofwit » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:46 pm

2014entering2014 wrote:did anyone else just receive a package from Duke Law and get super excited that it's scholly info but then turns out it's a sweatshirt?

not that I don't think it's awesome to have a sweatshirt, but this isn't their "financial aid package" that's their nice way of saying "hey, so you get $0, but this can keep you warm while you cry!", right?

wait, you got a sweatshirt? I only got a t-shirt. :? Also, yeah, hopefully this wasn't a consolation for $. I don't know what to think, especially since there was nothing at all about scholarship or fin aid info in the actual letter and brochures. Hopefully they're supposed to be two separate mailings.

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:00 pm

well, no idea if submitting the why duke yesterday helped, but i just got in. w00t.

aboutmydaylight

Postby aboutmydaylight » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:50 pm

wealtheow wrote:well, no idea if submitting the why duke yesterday helped, but i just got in. w00t.

At 11 on a Saturday? Adcomms must be having fun...

Congrats.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:05 pm

wealtheow wrote:well, no idea if submitting the why duke yesterday helped, but i just got in. w00t.

Congrats!

I was wondering, did you scan/email or fax the Why Duke, or did mail it to their address? And I'm assuming you asked them before you sent it, right?

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:16 pm

Thanks guys :) Technically the email came at about 8pm, but still, they do seem to work late/weekends...

Principe, I did not ask them. I sent an e-mail updating my address, and then added a short paragraph about how much I wanted to go and how I hoped there was still time for them to consider an additional essay. I attached it to the e-mail as a .pdf. They responded very quickly and said it was added to my file. Again, this was Friday morning, so I have to wonder if they even read it, but they were definitely receptive to the correspondence.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:24 pm

wealtheow wrote:Thanks guys :) Technically the email came at about 8pm, but still, they do seem to work late/weekends...

Principe, I did not ask them. I sent an e-mail updating my address, and then added a short paragraph about how much I wanted to go and how I hoped there was still time for them to consider an additional essay. I attached it to the e-mail as a .pdf. They responded very quickly and said it was added to my file. Again, this was Friday morning, so I have to wonder if they even read it, but they were definitely receptive to the correspondence.

Hmmm, fair enough. I'll just email and ask tomorrow. I don't think I've ever finished a paper so fast :lol:

Crossing my fingers.

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:28 pm

El Principe wrote:
wealtheow wrote:Thanks guys :) Technically the email came at about 8pm, but still, they do seem to work late/weekends...

Hmmm, fair enough. I'll just email and ask tomorrow. I don't think I've ever finished a paper so fast :lol:

Crossing my fingers.

seriously lol i have never felt so much pressure to get something written so quickly. i usually spend a lot of time proofing/revising but this time i was like NO THERES NOT TIME MUST EMAIL IT NOW BEFORE THEY REJECT YOU

good luck!

mydasmarie

Postby mydasmarie » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:47 pm

To all of you who are waiting and afraid about your numbers, let me share my experience with you.Took the LSAT in Oct and was subsequently beyond disappointed when I received a 156. Retook in December in horrible testing conditions but managed a 163.... my gpa is at a 3.8 ... at first I didn't even want to apply to Duke thinking my LSAT situation wasn't competitive, but I am so happy I went ahead and decided to apply...I submitted it February 9th which cut it pretty close....

BUT I GOT IN :)

Hoping and praying for at the very least 20k/ year to make it realistic for me, and hope good news comes soon for many of you :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bluemonkey219

Postby bluemonkey219 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:14 pm

mydasmarie wrote:To all of you who are waiting and afraid about your numbers, let me share my experience with you.Took the LSAT in Oct and was subsequently beyond disappointed when I received a 156. Retook in December in horrible testing conditions but managed a 163.... my gpa is at a 3.8 ... at first I didn't even want to apply to Duke thinking my LSAT situation wasn't competitive, but I am so happy I went ahead and decided to apply...I submitted it February 9th which cut it pretty close....

Hoping and praying for at the very least 20k/ year to make it realistic for me, and hope good news comes soon for many of you :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing this. Are you URM? And when did you get your acceptance notification?

Thanks to everyone here for all the talk about sending in a Why Duke this late in the game. I frantically wrote one this morning while being convinced that I was going to get a rejection before I could get it to the admissions office.

mydasmarie

Postby mydasmarie » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:26 pm

bluemonkey219 wrote:
mydasmarie wrote:To all of you who are waiting and afraid about your numbers, let me share my experience with you.Took the LSAT in Oct and was subsequently beyond disappointed when I received a 156. Retook in December in horrible testing conditions but managed a 163.... my gpa is at a 3.8 ... at first I didn't even want to apply to Duke thinking my LSAT situation wasn't competitive, but I am so happy I went ahead and decided to apply...I submitted it February 9th which cut it pretty close....

Thanks for sharing this. Are you URM? And when did you get your acceptance notification?

Thanks to everyone here for all the talk about sending in a Why Duke this late in the game. I frantically wrote one this morning while being convinced that I was going to get a rejection before I could get it to the admissions office.

I do believe I am considered URM, but I do want to add that I submitted a Why Duke essay that I feel is what really sealed the deal. I don't have any concrete evidence as to the validity of this...but I just really think it helped! I submitted it along with my application on February 10th.

ler2017

Postby ler2017 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:53 pm

I'm new to this forum so probably late to the party, but I got accepted 2/28 and now I'm waiting on that scholarship offer! Duke is my first choice and my family has already basically told me to just go there no matter what the scholarship offer is and not worry about money, but I'm really feeling antsy waiting for it. Status check says they received my scholarship form 3/4 but no updates since except the welcome packet which I've received, and I see other posts about it taking up to a month to receive the scholarship package. When do they tell you the deadline for the commitment deposit? Does that come with the scholarship offer?

Also I'm pretty excited for the open house next weekend. I'm going for all 3 days. Has anyone booked accommodations for the weekend yet?

mydasmarie

Postby mydasmarie » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:14 pm

ler2017 wrote:I'm new to this forum so probably late to the party, but I got accepted 2/28 and now I'm waiting on that scholarship offer! Duke is my first choice and my family has already basically told me to just go there no matter what the scholarship offer is and not worry about money, but I'm really feeling antsy waiting for it. Status check says they received my scholarship form 3/4 but no updates since except the welcome packet which I've received, and I see other posts about it taking up to a month to receive the scholarship package. When do they tell you the deadline for the commitment deposit? Does that come with the scholarship offer?

Also I'm pretty excited for the open house next weekend. I'm going for all 3 days. Has anyone booked accommodations for the weekend yet?

Hey! so I am looking into booking accommodations for Friday and Saturday night OR Thursday and Friday night and flying back to jersey Saturday night....what hotel did you book at?

ler2017

Postby ler2017 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:26 pm

mydasmarie wrote:
ler2017 wrote:I'm new to this forum so probably late to the party, but I got accepted 2/28 and now I'm waiting on that scholarship offer! Duke is my first choice and my family has already basically told me to just go there no matter what the scholarship offer is and not worry about money, but I'm really feeling antsy waiting for it. Status check says they received my scholarship form 3/4 but no updates since except the welcome packet which I've received, and I see other posts about it taking up to a month to receive the scholarship package. When do they tell you the deadline for the commitment deposit? Does that come with the scholarship offer?

Hey! so I am looking into booking accommodations for Friday and Saturday night OR Thursday and Friday night and flying back to jersey Saturday night....what hotel did you book at?

I am having way too much trouble with this website right now.

I haven't booked yet but I looked on Kayak and saw a lot of chain hotels in the ~$50 range for that weekend, so I'll probably go with one of those. I wasn't sure if we had to stay at any particular location because of the travel subsidy or anything so I haven't made the reservation, but that's probably how I'll do it if we're free to stay wherever.

SHR421

Postby SHR421 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:23 am

El Principe wrote:

I hear you guys. I am going crazy. I submitted the last week in October and went UR2 2/18 and still haven't heard anything. I did write a Why Duke already, but am wondering if there is anything else I should do.

olivejuice831

Postby olivejuice831 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:29 pm

Ughhh still UR as of 2/24 and getting SO antsy

No "Why Duke?"

BetterLateThanNever1

Postby BetterLateThanNever1 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:33 pm

Waitlisted today via e-mail. At 50th GPA, <25th LSAT, very unique softs, non-URM.

Duke was really up there for me so it's definitely disappointing. I'm sure it's been asked a million times, but what are the best ways to increase your chances off Duke's WL? It sounds like a Why Duke or LOCI is the way to go, but anything other than those?

Thanks for your help and gl to all!

hopefulapplicant2

Postby hopefulapplicant2 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:58 pm

BetterLateThanNever1 wrote:Waitlisted today via e-mail. At 50th GPA, <25th LSAT, very unique softs, non-URM.

Duke was really up there for me so it's definitely disappointing. I'm sure it's been asked a million times, but what are the best ways to increase your chances off Duke's WL? It sounds like a Why Duke or LOCI is the way to go, but anything other than those?

Thanks for your help and gl to all!

When did you apply?

jagfin

Postby jagfin » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:15 pm

damn, just picked up a 21k per year law dean's scholarship - looks pretty much like I'll be headed to Duke in the Fall!!! :D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”