Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Is Duke Law School your top choice?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:23 pm

Yes.
8
36%
No.
11
50%
I have no clue.
3
14%
 
Total votes: 22

fatheranderson15
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:08 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby fatheranderson15 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:47 pm

Anyone else get an email requesting a transcript updated with fall semester grades in order to complete their review of the application? And is that unusual or a standard request from Duke (or law schools in general)?

anonymous092
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:42 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby anonymous092 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:06 pm

Yeah, I got that email earlier. I had just send in my fall grades a few days ago so let them know that they would be available soon. I'm hoping that's a standard request and that decisions come out shortly after they receive the transcript!

User avatar
Marshmallow
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Marshmallow » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:26 am

I went from UR 1/13 to 2/13 :shock: maybe there WILL be a wave tomorrow despite the snow?!

User avatar
ftbchamp231
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:02 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby ftbchamp231 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:21 am

Does anyone know typically how long it takes for scholarship info to get sent out once they have everything?

Good luck to everyone with date changes!

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1753
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby JustHawkin » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:30 am

Marshmallow wrote:I went from UR 1/13 to 2/13 :shock: maybe there WILL be a wave tomorrow despite the snow?!

Still 1/13 :?

User avatar
vuthy
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:55 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby vuthy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:53 pm

UR1 2/3 -> UR2 2/14, non-PT. (Have a bad feeling that the quick 1->2 is not good news.)

User avatar
Marshmallow
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Marshmallow » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:02 pm

Marshmallow wrote:I went from UR 1/13 to 2/13 :shock: maybe there WILL be a wave tomorrow despite the snow?!



welp, guess i was wrong...

User avatar
Catherinelo365
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:56 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Catherinelo365 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:06 pm

PR notification, again.
What is this PR thing exactly? Is this a kind of WL but we are ranked before WL people and after RD people? Or we are just mingled together with the WL people waiting for some extra seats?
So confused.

User avatar
Cactus
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Cactus » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:11 pm

Catherinelo365 wrote:PR notification, again.
What is this PR thing exactly? Is this a kind of WL but we are ranked before WL people and after RD people? Or we are just mingled together with the WL people waiting for some extra seats?
So confused.


The consensus opinion is that it is a pool of applicants independent of the WL, with the assumption that the PR list is a cut above the standard WL. Additionally, Duke has made it clear that candidates in the PR list are not individually ranked. Regardless, we are all still waiting..

wbaseball4ever
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:28 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby wbaseball4ever » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:42 am

I was accepted early January and still haven't heard about scholarships. Is this typical? Has anyone heard on scholarships yet? If not, when do you expect them to come out?

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8810
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Serett » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:24 pm

wbaseball4ever wrote:I was accepted early January and still haven't heard about scholarships. Is this typical? Has anyone heard on scholarships yet? If not, when do you expect them to come out?


No one has. The acceptance email has some instructions for scholarship consideration, so make sure you take a look through it and submit the scholarship consideration form and, if applicable, Need Access if you haven't. Edit: As to when we expect to start hearing, I'm pretty sure I read when Duke starts sending offers somewhere, but I don't remember if it was late February or early March.

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby gbelle » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:20 pm

Finally had a status change to 2/10. Had been UR since 10/11.....

At this point I would just like to know what's up

User avatar
vuthy
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:55 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby vuthy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:26 pm

Questions driven by pure boredom on a weekend: Is there a consensus estimate for wait time for non-PT from UR2 to decision? And any significance behind a pretty quick move from UR1 to UR2?

Sojourner2
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 10:30 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Sojourner2 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:29 pm

Long-time lurker, only occasional poster here. I received an email today from Duke that appears to indicate I was admitted. Here is part of what it says:

"I am very pleased to inform you that you have been selected for admission to Duke Law School. ... You will be officially admitted to Duke Law School when you complete the next step of our admission process – applying for financial aid and scholarship assistance. The Financial Aid Office will send you the scholarship application form and instructions via email. Since you may qualify for a Duke Law scholarship, I encourage you to apply. If you apply, you will receive your official admission letter and a decision on your scholarship application soon after the Committee completes the scholarship review.

If you do not plan to apply for scholarship assistance but wish to consider an offer of admission from Duke, please inform our office so that we can officially admit you now."


Has anyone else received an email like this before? It indicates I was admitted but also says I have yet to be officially admitted--what does this mean? Does anyone know if I could fill out financial need and scholarship forms and subsequently be denied admission? (I highly doubt it but am just checking because the wording of the email threw me off a little.) Additionally, do they send this email out to everyone or does the fact that they talk about scholarships mean I actually might have an above average shot at getting one?

Any insight from anyone else further along in the process is highly appreciated!

User avatar
AFP
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:20 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby AFP » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:37 pm

Sojourner2 wrote:Long-time lurker, only occasional poster here. I received an email today from Duke that appears to indicate I was admitted. Here is part of what it says:

"I am very pleased to inform you that you have been selected for admission to Duke Law School. ... You will be officially admitted to Duke Law School when you complete the next step of our admission process – applying for financial aid and scholarship assistance. The Financial Aid Office will send you the scholarship application form and instructions via email. Since you may qualify for a Duke Law scholarship, I encourage you to apply. If you apply, you will receive your official admission letter and a decision on your scholarship application soon after the Committee completes the scholarship review.

If you do not plan to apply for scholarship assistance but wish to consider an offer of admission from Duke, please inform our office so that we can officially admit you now."


Has anyone else received an email like this before? It indicates I was admitted but also says I have yet to be officially admitted--what does this mean? Does anyone know if I could fill out financial need and scholarship forms and subsequently be denied admission? (I highly doubt it but am just checking because the wording of the email threw me off a little.) Additionally, do they send this email out to everyone or does the fact that they talk about scholarships mean I actually might have an above average shot at getting one?

Any insight from anyone else further along in the process is highly appreciated!


That's the admissions email. I agree that the wording is a bit strange, but I think the subject line of "Welcome to Duke Law" and the first sentence are pretty clear about it being full-on admission.
Last edited by AFP on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sojourner2
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 10:30 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Sojourner2 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:46 pm

Thanks!

Yeah you're right the subject line and first line do make it pretty clear. I guess I just wanted to be certain before I let myself believe I got in.

User avatar
KatyMarie
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby KatyMarie » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:17 am

In! Just got the email :)

User avatar
KatyMarie
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby KatyMarie » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:18 am

Sojourner2 wrote:Long-time lurker, only occasional poster here. I received an email today from Duke that appears to indicate I was admitted. Here is part of what it says:

"I am very pleased to inform you that you have been selected for admission to Duke Law School. ... You will be officially admitted to Duke Law School when you complete the next step of our admission process – applying for financial aid and scholarship assistance. The Financial Aid Office will send you the scholarship application form and instructions via email. Since you may qualify for a Duke Law scholarship, I encourage you to apply. If you apply, you will receive your official admission letter and a decision on your scholarship application soon after the Committee completes the scholarship review.

If you do not plan to apply for scholarship assistance but wish to consider an offer of admission from Duke, please inform our office so that we can officially admit you now."


Has anyone else received an email like this before? It indicates I was admitted but also says I have yet to be officially admitted--what does this mean? Does anyone know if I could fill out financial need and scholarship forms and subsequently be denied admission? (I highly doubt it but am just checking because the wording of the email threw me off a little.) Additionally, do they send this email out to everyone or does the fact that they talk about scholarships mean I actually might have an above average shot at getting one?

Any insight from anyone else further along in the process is highly appreciated!


I just got that email. It's just a strangely worded email I'm sure.

User avatar
vuthy
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:55 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby vuthy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:01 pm

KatyMarie wrote:In! Just got the email :)


Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you went UR2?

User avatar
KatyMarie
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby KatyMarie » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:20 pm

vuthy wrote:
KatyMarie wrote:In! Just got the email :)


Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you went UR2?


Thank you! UR2=2/5 (Non PT, but I guess they're done with those now anyway?)

User avatar
vuthy
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:55 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby vuthy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:34 pm

KatyMarie wrote:
vuthy wrote:
KatyMarie wrote:In! Just got the email :)


Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you went UR2?


Thank you! UR2=2/5 (Non PT, but I guess they're done with those now anyway?)


I think they are done with those, yes. Just trying to get a sense of the UR2->Decision timetable for non-PT. (Most of the stuff ITT so far is for PT.) Thanks!

User avatar
Black_Swan
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Black_Swan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:18 pm

KatyMarie wrote:
Sojourner2 wrote:Long-time lurker, only occasional poster here. I received an email today from Duke that appears to indicate I was admitted. Here is part of what it says:

"I am very pleased to inform you that you have been selected for admission to Duke Law School. ... You will be officially admitted to Duke Law School when you complete the next step of our admission process – applying for financial aid and scholarship assistance. The Financial Aid Office will send you the scholarship application form and instructions via email. Since you may qualify for a Duke Law scholarship, I encourage you to apply. If you apply, you will receive your official admission letter and a decision on your scholarship application soon after the Committee completes the scholarship review.

If you do not plan to apply for scholarship assistance but wish to consider an offer of admission from Duke, please inform our office so that we can officially admit you now."


Has anyone else received an email like this before? It indicates I was admitted but also says I have yet to be officially admitted--what does this mean? Does anyone know if I could fill out financial need and scholarship forms and subsequently be denied admission? (I highly doubt it but am just checking because the wording of the email threw me off a little.) Additionally, do they send this email out to everyone or does the fact that they talk about scholarships mean I actually might have an above average shot at getting one?

Any insight from anyone else further along in the process is highly appreciated!


I just got that email. It's just a strangely worded email I'm sure.


Just one last hoop to jump over in the Duke Yield Protection saga!

lsatnoob
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:42 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby lsatnoob » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:21 pm

Anyone else non-PT still stuck on UR 1/6? I applied first week of November and haven't heard anything...really wishing I would have taken Feb LSAT since there does not seem to be any advantage of applying early.

Gucci Mane
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Gucci Mane » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:45 pm

Anyone manage to successfully get off the priority reserve/waitlist yet?

User avatar
W$RKliveWELL
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 1:17 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby W$RKliveWELL » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:07 pm

smh i waited months hearing NOTHING to be put on PR :x




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”