Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Is Duke Law School your top choice?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:23 pm

Yes.
8
36%
No.
11
50%
I have no clue.
3
14%
 
Total votes: 22

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2248
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:24 pm

str8yolked wrote:Is Duke even looking at non-PT applicants yet?

<25 GPA/ >75 LSAT and still stuck on 11/15


Yeah, I was a RD applicant, accepted last week. Applied early November.

User avatar
Vexed
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Vexed » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:31 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
Vexed wrote:
sandwich wrote:^ There's (at least) a "file under review" status.

ETA: I hear there's also at least some date changes within that "file under review" status. My buddy is on... I want to say second date change? Maybe third? But at there was definitely at least one date change in early Jan. after the initial "file under review" status (late Nov).


Yeah, mine went UR on like the 4th and has a new date from 1/8.

Does Duke tend to stretch out PT apps until the last possible date for the 10-day window? The closer I get to 10 days UR the more anxious I get.


There have been some day-10 acceptances.


...is there any indication of what the ratio for those might be compared to day-10 WL's/Denies?

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby midwest17 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:25 pm

Vexed wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
Vexed wrote:
sandwich wrote:^ There's (at least) a "file under review" status.

ETA: I hear there's also at least some date changes within that "file under review" status. My buddy is on... I want to say second date change? Maybe third? But at there was definitely at least one date change in early Jan. after the initial "file under review" status (late Nov).


Yeah, mine went UR on like the 4th and has a new date from 1/8.

Does Duke tend to stretch out PT apps until the last possible date for the 10-day window? The closer I get to 10 days UR the more anxious I get.


There have been some day-10 acceptances.


...is there any indication of what the ratio for those might be compared to day-10 WL's/Denies?



On the spreadsheet, if I did things right, 95% of people who got their PT decision on the 10th day got accepted, compared to 80% of all PT applicants who get accepted.

I may have done it wrong, though. Here's the formula I used (after making a copy of the spreadsheet):

Code: Select all

=COUNTA(IFERROR( FILTER('Enter your stats here'!$L$2:$L$151;'Enter your stats here'!$L$2:$L$151="Yes";'Enter your stats here'!$N$2:$N$151="Accepted";'Enter your stats here'!$X$2:$X$151=10)))/COUNTA(IFERROR( FILTER('Enter your stats here'!$L$2:$L$151;'Enter your stats here'!$L$2:$L$151="Yes";'Enter your stats here'!$X$2:$X$151=10)))

User avatar
admiringatticus
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby admiringatticus » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:32 pm

Are the PT invites over? I didn't have a high enough LSAT when I submitted to get PT but after my Dec LSAT my stats are at what other people have who got PT. Do they ever switch applicants over to PT or am I stuck in RD?

User avatar
retaking23
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby retaking23 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:01 pm

admiringatticus wrote:Are the PT invites over? I didn't have a high enough LSAT when I submitted to get PT but after my Dec LSAT my stats are at what other people have who got PT. Do they ever switch applicants over to PT or am I stuck in RD?


I received a PT invite and I'm still sort of scratching my head about it. Duke is a school I would love to attend but my stats (gpa 75th, lsat below median) alone do not make me standout to merit a PT invite, or so I thought.
Last edited by retaking23 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Vexed
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Vexed » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:54 pm

Just got the Priority Reserve email after applying via PT... :(

Do I send a Why Duke now? Little bit lost, thought I was a pretty good shot. Not feeling good about my other app's now.

Gucci Mane
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Gucci Mane » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:57 pm

I just got waitlisted on the "Priority Reserve" as well. My numbers are above both of DUke's 75ths, does that mean I just need to write a "why duke" or a "statement of continued interest"(from the email they sent) essay?

gta
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:51 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby gta » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:02 pm

retaking23 wrote:I received a PT invite and I'm still sort of scratching my head about it. Duke is a school I would love to attend but my stats (gpa 75th, lsat below median) alone do not make me standout to merit a PT invite, or so I thought.


I'm not sure how far along you are in the process, but my stats are flipped from yours (LSAT >75th, GPA below median) and I received a PT invite and was accepted.

User avatar
JodieLovesChachi
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:01 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby JodieLovesChachi » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:06 pm

In at Duke, via email.

PT Review
Sent: 12/29/13
Complete: 1/2/14
Decision: 1/10/14

Good luck to those still waiting on PT results. It feels like the application process is that much longer when you're waiting in that 10 day range. smh.

User avatar
samoby
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby samoby » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:44 pm

Vexed wrote:Just got the Priority Reserve email after applying via PT... :(

Do I send a Why Duke now? Little bit lost, thought I was a pretty good shot. Not feeling good about my other app's now.


Don't let it discourage you! It happened to me, too. I sent in my LOCI earlier this week. Go ahead and sent in a Why Duke. It was the first school I heard from, but it didn't turn out to be indicative of my cycle at all, and I'm sure it won't for you either.

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 1304
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby AT9 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:47 pm

samoby wrote:
Vexed wrote:Just got the Priority Reserve email after applying via PT... :(

Do I send a Why Duke now? Little bit lost, thought I was a pretty good shot. Not feeling good about my other app's now.


Don't let it discourage you! It happened to me, too. I sent in my LOCI earlier this week. Go ahead and sent in a Why Duke. It was the first school I heard from, but it didn't turn out to be indicative of my cycle at all, and I'm sure it won't for you either.


So I take it it's not too early to write a LOCI? I did ED back in September and got wait listed; responded to the wait list email saying I was happy to be on the wait list (honestly) and that Duke was my #1, but haven't sent anything since then. The dean was cool enough to respond to that email too.

candywolf
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:14 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby candywolf » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:25 pm

JodieLovesChachi wrote:In at Duke, via email.

PT Review
Sent: 12/29/13
Complete: 1/2/14
Decision: 1/10/14

Good luck to those still waiting on PT results. It feels like the application process is that much longer when you're waiting in that 10 day range. smh.


Almost the exact same time frame. Sent 12/30 though. Just got accepted via email. Also an invite for the moredecai scholarship - any one with application experience for this specific scholarship?

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back/hear more!

User avatar
leavingalabubba
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:23 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby leavingalabubba » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:38 pm

.
Last edited by leavingalabubba on Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

riverwater
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby riverwater » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:18 am

.
Last edited by riverwater on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
leavingalabubba
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:23 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby leavingalabubba » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:51 am

.
Last edited by leavingalabubba on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Pneumonia » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:53 am

your numbers are in line for receiving PT. be sure to write a "why Duke" even though you've already expressed some interest; it is still important. Good luck!

User avatar
retaking23
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby retaking23 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:08 am

riverwater wrote:
leavingalabubba wrote:Question: UR as of 1/8 and didn't write a why duke. however, i wrote a JD/MA statement which highlighted Duke's strengths in both programs, mentioned Duke in my PS, and had two Duke alum profs send direct refs. i'm >75th on GPA and LSAT. Do you all think I have a decent chance of being accepted without a why duke or should I just go ahead and write one this weekend to hopefully avoid PR/WL?


Everyone should write a Why Duke. At most, it's an hour of your life.


Pneumonia wrote:your numbers are in line for receiving PT. be sure to write a "why Duke" even though you've already expressed some interest; it is still important. Good luck!


These posts are making me nervous. I researched Duke Law obsessively and included my specific reasons for wanting to go there in my PS but didn't write a Why Duke because I didn't want to sound redundant or, worse yet, hackneyed. I'm considering writing it now anyway because, as has been noted, it doesn't take very long. Just want to make sure though: does sounding ultimately redundant hurt one's app? (I know it cannot help but with my 166 LSAT I really cannot afford to hurt my already low chances). FYI, I also applied PT and went UR1 on the 8th.

Also, how should I send the Why Duke? Email them directly?

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby midwest17 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:13 am

retaking23 wrote:
riverwater wrote:
leavingalabubba wrote:Question: UR as of 1/8 and didn't write a why duke. however, i wrote a JD/MA statement which highlighted Duke's strengths in both programs, mentioned Duke in my PS, and had two Duke alum profs send direct refs. i'm >75th on GPA and LSAT. Do you all think I have a decent chance of being accepted without a why duke or should I just go ahead and write one this weekend to hopefully avoid PR/WL?


Everyone should write a Why Duke. At most, it's an hour of your life.


Pneumonia wrote:your numbers are in line for receiving PT. be sure to write a "why Duke" even though you've already expressed some interest; it is still important. Good luck!


These posts are making me nervous. I researched Duke Law obsessively and included my specific reasons for wanting to go there in my PS but didn't write a Why Duke because I didn't want to sound redundant or, worse yet, hackneyed. I'm considering writing it now anyway because, as has been noted, it doesn't take very long. Just want to make sure though: does sounding ultimately redundant hurt one's app? (I know it cannot help but with my 166 LSAT I really cannot afford to hurt my already low chances). FYI, I also applied PT and went UR1 on the 8th.

Also, how should I send the Why Duke? Email them directly?


If your PS covered Why Duke, I don't think a separate one is necessary.

User avatar
retaking23
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby retaking23 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:30 am

midwest17 wrote:If your PS covered Why Duke, I don't think a separate one is necessary.


I covered it alright. I did so very concisely and precisely. I'm troubled that this might get mistaken as being a poor attempt to show superficial interest.

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 2332
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Slytherpuff » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:20 am

Just got accepted via email!!! PT, applied 1/1 and went complete 1/2. Didn't write a Why Duke but I covered it in the end of my PS.

My LSAT is a couple of points below the median so this was a very pleasant surprise.

User avatar
coolbean2013
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby coolbean2013 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:29 am

fkt18 wrote:Just got accepted via email!!! PT, applied 1/1 and went complete 1/2. Didn't write a Why Duke but I covered it in the end of my PS.

My LSAT is a couple of points below the median so this was a very pleasant surprise.


Congrats!

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:22 pm

retaking23 wrote:
midwest17 wrote:If your PS covered Why Duke, I don't think a separate one is necessary.


I covered it alright. I did so very concisely and precisely. I'm troubled that this might get mistaken as being a poor attempt to show superficial interest.


This is why people recommend (in almost all cases) not addressing the "why x" in a personal statement. It usually does come off as superficial, and usually takes away the luxury of having a separate Why X essay.

With that said, if your numbers are competitive I don't think it will hurt you much. And if you do get wait listed, a LOCI with new reasons for your desire to attend Duke would certainly be acceptable.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Pneumonia » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:39 pm

retaking23 wrote:
midwest17 wrote:If your PS covered Why Duke, I don't think a separate one is necessary.


I covered it alright. I did so very concisely and precisely. I'm troubled that this might get mistaken as being a poor attempt to show superficial interest.


Agree with previous advice. Regarding redundancy: try to avoid it if you can. There are always more reasons that you can manufacture from looking at faculty profiles or just the website in general. Those, in combination with your legitimate interests, will come of better than just restating what is in you personal statement. However, from what you've said about the length of the "Why Duke" component in your PS, it seems like you might be able to write an addendum or an LOCI "expanding" on that info.

User avatar
Black_Swan
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Black_Swan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:16 pm

Any PT applicant that got wait listed?

User avatar
jk148706
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby jk148706 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:26 pm

Black_Swan wrote:Any PT applicant that got wait listed?


I was




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Chipotle85, fall17law, guybourdin, jjcorvino, nslaw123, Rich Uncle Skeleton, Solidfood, tlee13, woopig2017 and 23 guests