Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Is Duke Law School your top choice?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:23 pm

Yes.
8
36%
No.
11
50%
I have no clue.
3
14%
 
Total votes: 22

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Theopliske8711 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:53 pm

retaking23 wrote:Hi everyone,

I just received an email saying I was approved for Duke Priority Track and fee waiver. Can anyone here who's been through this explain the implications of this? My Lsat is crap for what Duke's looking but this seems like a better deal than Ed since it's not even binding.

anyriotgirl wrote:Just got the PT invite, so sure Duke, why not. Sent app today with 169/3.58. I suspect that they must be really trying to keep their median LSAT, since my gpa is nowhere near their median.


I'm the flip side of this: My gpa is 3.86 and lsat is 166.


From what I hear, Duke likes high GPAs.

Anyone who was priority reserved hear back yet? I have not sent a "Why Duke" yet, but I informed them of my new LSAT score, which I feel should put me over the edge for the school.

User avatar
Black_Swan
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Black_Swan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:20 pm

Does the Duke PT comes with an early deposit requirement? I just got that email as well. Could not afford Duke without the waiver.

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby phillywc » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:55 pm

PR :|

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:57 pm

phillywc wrote:PR :|


: |

hang in there, buddy

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:57 pm

Black_Swan wrote:Does the Duke PT comes with an early deposit requirement? I just got that email as well. Could not afford Duke without the waiver.


Duke PT is noncommittal. You simply get a 10-day reply on your admissions decision.

User avatar
emmybee
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:03 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby emmybee » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:18 pm

phillywc wrote:PR :|


That's because Philly is destined for better things! :D

062914123
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby 062914123 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:21 pm

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby phillywc » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:23 pm

Thanks y'all. No why duke. For sure should have. :/

User avatar
Otunga
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Otunga » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:31 pm

I've just been indifferent to Duke before and after PR. I want UVA way more and did write a Why UVA. Come on UVA!

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby phillywc » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:35 pm

Otunga wrote:I've just been indifferent to Duke before and after PR. I want UVA way more and did write a Why UVA. Come on UVA!

I actually really like Duke. Good jobs numbers, good location, and BASKETBALL!!

User avatar
outlawscr10
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:37 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby outlawscr10 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:37 pm

phillywc wrote:
Otunga wrote:I've just been indifferent to Duke before and after PR. I want UVA way more and did write a Why UVA. Come on UVA!

I actually really like Duke. Good jobs numbers, good location, and BASKETBALL!!


When did you submit?

User avatar
Otunga
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Otunga » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:39 pm

phillywc wrote:
Otunga wrote:I've just been indifferent to Duke before and after PR. I want UVA way more and did write a Why UVA. Come on UVA!

I actually really like Duke. Good jobs numbers, good location, and BASKETBALL!!


Yeah, just depends on geographic goals. I bet the basketball there is a great experience in any case.

062914123
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby 062914123 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:40 pm

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby phillywc » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:45 pm

outlawscr10 wrote:
phillywc wrote:
Otunga wrote:I've just been indifferent to Duke before and after PR. I want UVA way more and did write a Why UVA. Come on UVA!

I actually really like Duke. Good jobs numbers, good location, and BASKETBALL!!


When did you submit?

October.

User avatar
emmybee
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:03 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby emmybee » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:46 pm

bee wrote:how many date changes did people experience while they were under review for PT? i've already had two and i didn't go complete until after new years :shock:


I had the first "under review", then one date change, then "decision made- watch for email"
I wonder why some people have more date changes than others...

luckyman17
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:58 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby luckyman17 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:38 pm

I applied in early November for RD and my app has been complete for a while now. I have some friends at Duke who have said visiting the school and talking with an admin officer could still help by showing my interest. Any truth to this or do they generally not consider such things?

CBent88
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby CBent88 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:41 pm

169/3.45.... PR off the PT. Complete on 1/2, decision today. Quicker than I thought.

Wrote a Why Duke essay but kind of had a feeling they would hold out on me.

User avatar
milkandcheerios
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby milkandcheerios » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:33 pm

luckyman17 wrote:I applied in early November for RD and my app has been complete for a while now. I have some friends at Duke who have said visiting the school and talking with an admin officer could still help by showing my interest. Any truth to this or do they generally not consider such things?


I feel like it would have a marginal benefit if even that; definitely not worth the effort and airfare unless you live half and hour away or something. In that case, it might be worth the try.

User avatar
coolbean2013
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby coolbean2013 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:25 pm

Accepted today! PT submitted 12/30, went complete 1/2, super quick turn around. URM pm for stats. Wrote a why Duke statement.

User avatar
coolbean2013
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby coolbean2013 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:29 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:
luckyman17 wrote:I applied in early November for RD and my app has been complete for a while now. I have some friends at Duke who have said visiting the school and talking with an admin officer could still help by showing my interest. Any truth to this or do they generally not consider such things?


I feel like it would have a marginal benefit if even that; definitely not worth the effort and airfare unless you live half and hour away or something. In that case, it might be worth the try.


True, if you're in the area, I think it's not a bad idea. I did that for some schools (I will let you know if it pays off :wink: ). If you later on decide to write a LOCI, you could make reference to that. I would also suggest sitting in on a class so you can talk about that as well if you do decide to go!

gta
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:51 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby gta » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:36 pm

coolbean2013 wrote:Accepted today! PT submitted 12/30, went complete 1/2, super quick turn around. URM pm for stats. Wrote a why Duke statement.


CBent88 wrote:169/3.45.... PR off the PT. Complete on 1/2, decision today. Quicker than I thought.

Wrote a Why Duke essay but kind of had a feeling they would hold out on me.



Hmm... I also PT submitted and went complete 1/2, but am now "Under Review" updated 1/7...

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Kimikho » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:46 am

phillywc wrote:PR :|


:(

Image

gators326
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:45 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby gators326 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:26 pm

If I had a hidden fee waiver when I submitted my app does that mean that my app was put in the PT pile even though I never received an email invite?

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby midwest17 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:35 pm

gators326 wrote:If I had a hidden fee waiver when I submitted my app does that mean that my app was put in the PT pile even though I never received an email invite?


No, PT is different from waivers. You have to be invited and then specifically sign up for it.

If you think you may have just missed the email invite, you can try putting your LSAC number in here: http://law.duke.edu/prioritytrack/

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1754
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: Duke c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby JustHawkin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:36 pm

midwest17 wrote:
gators326 wrote:If I had a hidden fee waiver when I submitted my app does that mean that my app was put in the PT pile even though I never received an email invite?


No, PT is different from waivers. You have to be invited and then specifically sign up for it.

If you think you may have just missed the email invite, you can try putting your LSAC number in here: http://law.duke.edu/prioritytrack/

What happens when you enter your credentials in there without an email invite?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anon.y.mousse., Baby Gaga, Chipotle85, Google Adsense [Bot], hellohalo, Rich Uncle Skeleton, Smc1994, studyingeveryday, xnsch and 22 guests