Santa Clara c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
qapla

Re: Santa Clara c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby qapla » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:10 am

Anon234 wrote:Do not go there unless they give you a scholarship you can't turn down. They cannot compete with Stanford and Berkeley. They aren't even third tier in the area....they are invisible

I'm not worried about employment after graduation and I certainly don't care if my school is "invisible". I want to go to a school that I LIKE and that I feel will support my legal education. I'm not going to get into Stanford and I went to Berkeley for undergrad (don't care to spend three more years there). I really don't feel that you, Anonymous Poster, has enough information about me or anyone else on this forum to make major decisions like where we should spend the next three years of our lives.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:22 am

qapla wrote:
Anon234 wrote:Do not go there unless they give you a scholarship you can't turn down. They cannot compete with Stanford and Berkeley. They aren't even third tier in the area....they are invisible

I'm not worried about employment after graduation and I certainly don't care if my school is "invisible". I want to go to a school that I LIKE and that I feel will support my legal education. I'm not going to get into Stanford and I went to Berkeley for undergrad (don't care to spend three more years there). I really don't feel that you, Anonymous Poster, has enough information about me or anyone else on this forum to make major decisions like where we should spend the next three years of our lives.

But I would at least consider the implications. That poster was a little direct. but I think it is fair to say that SCU has lower employment stats than some of its fellow schools in the area so the debt is a concern.

What kind of law are you thinking about by the way? Are you considering Hastings? I'm out at Berkeley and Stanford as well but I'm not sure I want to commit to SCU given the scholarship offer and stip and its retention rate.

qapla

Postby qapla » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:34 am

Moonlight wrote:
qapla wrote:

But I would at least consider the implications. That poster was a little direct. but I think it is fair to say that SCU has lower employment stats than some of its fellow schools in the area so the debt is a concern.

What kind of law are you thinking about by the way? Are you considering Hastings? I'm out at Berkeley and Stanford as well but I'm not sure I want to commit to SCU given the scholarship offer and stip and its retention rate.

I'm not really considering Hastings. Everyone I know who went there has terrible things to say and it's in the Tenderloin.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:36 am

Terrible things to say? Like what? Would you mind sharing? You can PM me if that's better for you.

Dingo Starr

Postby Dingo Starr » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:01 am

Moonlight wrote:Terrible things to say? Like what? Would you mind sharing? You can PM me if that's better for you.

Also curious about this, if you don't mind. Hastings is still near the top of the heap for me.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Dingo Starr wrote:
Moonlight wrote:Terrible things to say? Like what? Would you mind sharing? You can PM me if that's better for you.

Also curious about this, if you don't mind. Hastings is still near the top of the heap for me.

Rankings killed us this year. Hastings 54 and SCU 107 and USF off ranks. McGeorge off ranks as well.

Do you think the employment stats on USN are correct? 30% for Hastings and 17% for SCU?

Dingo Starr

Postby Dingo Starr » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:14 pm

Moonlight wrote:Do you think the employment stats on USN are correct? 30% for Hastings and 17% for SCU?

Call me crazy, but I think the numbers at LST are more valid than USNWR.
Either way, though, they do not paint a pretty picture.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:33 pm

Dingo Starr wrote:
Moonlight wrote:Do you think the employment stats on USN are correct? 30% for Hastings and 17% for SCU?

Call me crazy, but I think the numbers at LST are more valid than USNWR.
Either way, though, they do not paint a pretty picture.

That's for sure...

We were all a few years late to the party. Should have gotten on board when the market was hot.

Dingo Starr

Postby Dingo Starr » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:40 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:The data U.S. News uses are the data that have been used on the LST CA report for almost a year. It's all 2012 graduation class data.

Also this.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:41 pm

Dingo Starr wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:The data U.S. News uses are the data that have been used on the LST CA report for almost a year. It's all 2012 graduation class data.

Also this.

So are you taking it as a + or a -?

Dingo Starr

Postby Dingo Starr » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:56 pm

Moonlight wrote:So are you taking it as a + or a -?

Really, they are different metrics using the same data base.
I was just pointing out that it is not new data that USNWR is taking in, just new data they are spewing out.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:18 pm

Dingo Starr wrote:
Moonlight wrote:So are you taking it as a + or a -?

Really, they are different metrics using the same data base.
I was just pointing out that it is not new data that USNWR is taking in, just new data they are spewing out.

True that. Is last year's USNWR based on 2011 data then?

I was wondering if this means we can be hopeful of a potential turn around given that this past year's employment stats aren't in the pipeline yet.

starchild

Postby starchild » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:45 pm

missjables16 wrote:
astrodoggy wrote:In Committee since 12/20... wtf! :(

+1
I applied 11/12 and went complete the next day. WTF is right!!

Those of you still waiting on a decision - did you receive an email invitation to "Law Diversity Day" today? These promo emails get me everytime!

Sounds terrible.. have you heard anything? I applied 1/17 and am still waiting. Stupid diversity day.

qapla

Postby qapla » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:48 am

What I have been told:
Colleague #1: "Eh...don't go there. It's....not a great place."
Colleague #2: "Strongly consider going to another school. Hastings is depressing."
Colleague #3: "Hastings is okay, if you can get into any of the classes you want, which you probably can't."
All three seem to hold the mentality that Hastings is a well-enough ranked place to go, if you must. Not one of these people has ever laughed or glowed about their Hastings experiences.

I personally cannot imagine taking BART into the Tenderloin every day. If you're someone who is *totally energized* by San Francisco, then I can imagine you might feel differently. I care, first and foremost, about being safe and not having weird men follow me around after class. As a tall redhead, I cannot justify the enormous amount of personal risk that going to school in such a sketchy area is bundled with.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:02 am

qapla wrote:

What I have been told:
Colleague #2: "Strongly consider going to another school. Hastings is depressing."
Colleague #3: "Hastings is okay, if you can get into any of the classes you want, which you probably can't."
All three seem to hold the mentality that Hastings is a well-enough ranked place to go, if you must. Not one of these people has ever laughed or glowed about their Hastings experiences.

I personally cannot imagine taking BART into the Tenderloin every day. If you're someone who is *totally energized* by San Francisco, then I can imagine you might feel differently. I care, first and foremost, about being safe and not having weird men follow me around after class. As a tall redhead, I cannot justify the enormous amount of personal risk that going to school in such a sketchy area is bundled with.

Hmm interesting. Would you take Santa Clara over Hastings for those reasons though? Even with the ran drop from 96 to 107 and the employment stats?

Shirosham

Postby Shirosham » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:10 pm

For those that were accepted, how long did it take to get your admission packet? Also was scholarship information included in packet or email?

Went under review 3/7, got decision on 3/9. No packet yet and I live pretty close.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:41 pm

Shirosham wrote:For those that were accepted, how long did it take to get your admission packet? Also was scholarship information included in packet or email?

Went under review 3/7, got decision on 3/9. No packet yet and I live pretty close.

I was Early App. Took maybe 2 weeks and the scholarship was included at a later date smaller envelope.

qapla

Postby qapla » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:31 pm

Moonlight wrote:
qapla wrote:

What I have been told:

Hmm interesting. Would you take Santa Clara over Hastings for those reasons though? Even with the ran drop from 96 to 107 and the employment stats?

Likely. I have a standing job offer at the firm I currently work for. Would I take Santa Clara over Boalt? Hell no. But I don't think the difference between Hastings and Santa Clara is that significant to potential employers. Would I rather be top 10% at Santa Clara or top 50% at Hastings? SCU all the way. I could be totally wrong but that's my gut feeling. I *really* care more about being a happy person than anything else. I don't intend to scramble to pay off hefty loans from Hastings, spending my time in the armpit of San Francisco, just to get a more competitive job offer from a firm that wants me to work 70 hours per week so I can make $50k per year more. I think my goals may differ from many other TLS posters and I think what makes each of us happy should impact our school choice more than rank.

What are your long-term career goals?

I think it's also worth mentioning that this year's (2015) employment rankings were based on data collected from students who graduated in 2012. It's not irrelevant but it also doesn't seem too predictive for students who are graduating in 2017 or 2018.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:43 pm

qapla wrote:
Likely. I have a standing job offer at the firm I currently work for. Would I take Santa Clara over Boalt? Hell no. But I don't think the difference between Hastings and Santa Clara is that significant to potential employers. Would I rather be top 10% at Santa Clara or top 50% at Hastings? SCU all the way. I could be totally wrong but that's my gut feeling. I *really* care more about being a happy person than anything else. I don't intend to scramble to pay off hefty loans from Hastings, spending my time in the armpit of San Francisco, just to get a more competitive job offer from a firm that wants me to work 70 hours per week so I can make $50k per year more. I think my goals may differ from many other TLS posters and I think what makes each of us happy should impact our school choice more than rank.

What are your long-term career goals?

I think it's also worth mentioning that this year's (2015) employment rankings were based on data collected from students who graduated in 2012. It's not irrelevant but it also doesn't seem too predictive for students who are graduating in 2017 or 2018.

Oh yea that's true. I totally understand your concerns and I actually support the happy person thought. But given me being a K-JD, I'm looking for a career focused approach for the moment. My long term career goals are floating. I'm open to a lot of different paths. But for time being, I'd like big law bur would be just as happy with mid to large firms or in-house.

I like the point about employment stats.

You have a 30k with scu right? Does it have stips? Are you worried about that?

Shirosham

Postby Shirosham » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:04 am

Anyone successful with negotiating? Got the 30k with SCU but I'm probably going to be looking for a bit more before I make serious plans.

Only other place I've heard back is Pepperdine w/ 15k.

jstellini

Postby jstellini » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:19 pm

anyone know if it is good or bad i haven't heard from santa clara yet. Went complete in early november with 158/3.2

izzlelay

Postby izzlelay » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:48 pm

qapla wrote:

What I have been told:

San Francisco native here and I completely agree with you! I didn't even apply to Hastings because of all the horrible things I've heard from students that went there. Yes, it's close to all the major courthouses in SF and its decently ranked, but most people I've talked to say the best part of Hastings is graduating.

Cal Trask

Postby Cal Trask » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:54 pm

jstellini wrote:anyone know if it is good or bad i haven't heard from santa clara yet. Went complete in early november with 158/3.2

better to not have heard than be rejected, no?

missjables16

Postby missjables16 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:09 pm

Cal Trask wrote:
jstellini wrote:anyone know if it is good or bad i haven't heard from santa clara yet. Went complete in early november with 158/3.2

That's what I keep telling myself!

I went complete in early Nov as well, so I feel your pain!

Shirosham

Postby Shirosham » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:51 pm

complete es16 wrote:
Cal Trask wrote:

That's what I keep telling myself!

I went complete in early Nov as well, so I feel your pain!

Have you called and asked about your app yet? I submitted on deadline 2/15, went under review a few weeks later and got a decision two days after review.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”