Santa Clara c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sumaznboi12

Re: Santa Clara c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby sumaznboi12 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:35 pm

Cal Trask wrote:
Moonlight wrote:
sumaznboi12 wrote:
Emery, but they didn't have any stips on the letter that I was given. Also, it didn't say if it was renewable or not.

Emery has 3.0 stip. I'd ask to be sure though. It should be renewable with that 3.0.

The problem is based on their retention rate of scholarships, over half of the recipients lose it by 2L....

Not all stips are the same for Emery.

Really? I haven't seen different stips. Has anyone successfully gotten rid of their stips?

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:09 am

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bkegslounge

Postby bkegslounge » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:14 pm

Santa Clara's ASD is the same as Hastings (3/22). Coming from SoCal, I only want to make one trip. Would it look bad if I went to one of these and then visited the other school the day after ASD? Or is it possible to go half day at both? I'm conflicted...

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:29 pm

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bkegslounge

Postby bkegslounge » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:03 pm

Moonlight wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:Santa Clara's ASD is the same as Hastings (3/22). Coming from SoCal, I only want to make one trip. Would it look bad if I went to one of these and then visited the other school the day after ASD? Or is it possible to go half day at both? I'm conflicted...

I think half day at both would look bad? I haven't checked the start times but I assume they start around same time so you'd look late at one and ditch at the other?

I would go to the one you really want. Personally, I'd go check out Hastings because they only do the two ASD and they don't do much of an Open House type event. Santa Clara does far more open house type events. Also consider asking for what they'll cover at each? I'm waiting to see that for SCU because they weren't clear on what they're covering.

Yeah I'd prefer to go to Hastings but my grandma lives right next to SCU so my dad said he'd drive up with me to see his mother. It's more convenient for me to visit SCU but I'll see what Hastings will cover. It's not that much farther north.

Also, does it look bad to have a parent join you on ASD? I'd prefer to go alone but my dad likes to tag along on these things.

Cal Trask

Postby Cal Trask » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:15 pm

bkegslounge wrote:
Moonlight wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:Santa Clara's ASD is the same as Hastings (3/22). Coming from SoCal, I only want to make one trip. Would it look bad if I went to one of these and then visited the other school the day after ASD? Or is it possible to go half day at both? I'm conflicted...

I think half day at both would look bad? I haven't checked the start times but I assume they start around same time so you'd look late at one and ditch at the other?

I would go to the one you really want. Personally, I'd go check out Hastings because they only do the two ASD and they don't do much of an Open House type event. Santa Clara does far more open house type events. Also consider asking for what they'll cover at each? I'm waiting to see that for SCU because they weren't clear on what they're covering.

Yeah I'd prefer to go to Hastings but my grandma lives right next to SCU so my dad said he'd drive up with me to see his mother. It's more convenient for me to visit SCU but I'll see what Hastings will cover. It's not that much farther north.

Also, does it look bad to have a parent join you on ASD? I'd prefer to go alone but my dad likes to tag along on these things.

Hastings will not cover any travel expenses. Santa Clara will cover up to $250, though I believe you have to stick around until the end of the event at 3-ish. Hastings's event ends at 4. There's not really a feasible way to do a half-day at either. I don't think it looks bad going to both, I'm sure they don't particularly care. The logistics are the issue.

I've seen people bring parents to ASD. It's not weird, but it's a little outside the norm.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:19 pm

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bkegslounge

Postby bkegslounge » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:26 pm

Cal Trask wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:
Moonlight wrote:

Hastings will not cover any travel expenses. Santa Clara will cover up to $250, though I believe you have to stick around until the end of the event at 3-ish. Hastings's event ends at 4. There's not really a feasible way to do a half-day at either. I don't think it looks bad going to both, I'm sure they don't particularly care. The logistics are the issue.

I've seen people bring parents to ASD. It's not weird, but it's a little outside the norm.

Mmm yeah I'll have to figure out the logistics. Hastings won't cover travel costs? That's a bummer...

Moonlight, so in your opinion, it wouldn't be too bad of a commute from San Jose to the city if I went to Hastings? My grandma said I could live with her if I went to Santa Clara but I hadn't really thought about living there if I went to Hastings. I know SF is suuuper expensive (and that's coming from someone who lives in LA).

Cal Trask

Postby Cal Trask » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:30 pm

bkegslounge wrote:
Mmm yeah I'll have to figure out the logistics. Hastings won't cover travel costs? That's a bummer...

Moonlight, so in your opinion, it wouldn't be too bad of a commute from San Jose to the city if I went to Hastings? My grandma said I could live with her if I went to Santa Clara but I hadn't really thought about living there if I went to Hastings. I know SF is suuuper expensive (and that's coming from someone who lives in LA).

East Bay's cheaper, but still expensive. It's possible to commute from SJ to SF. Caltrain has pretty good hours so long as you're not dipping too far into the South Bay (like I would). From the Caltrain station it's about a 15 minute walk to Hastings. Overall you'd be looking at about 1.5 to 2 hours of a commute each way, instead of roughly half an hour from the East Bay.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:34 pm

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:35 pm

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bkegslounge

Postby bkegslounge » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:43 pm

Moonlight wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:

Yea but if you're coming up from SoCal it's just a matter of a tank of gas right? I know that's still expensive but not too bad?

So I commute about 29 miles one way to my undergrad right now (which is in the bay area as well) and it's been a really easy commute. I think it depends on if you're on the far side of San Jose or closer side but I definitely think its feasible and well worth the $ saved. If you do consider moving closer, definitely hit me up. I rent rooms out of my house to students as well. My house is a lot closer. Definitely recommend living outside of the city itself because East bay is cheaper by far! And you get more for your $$'s worth. If you're interested let me know. Although the deal is you can't rip up my books at my place ;) (Joke about Hastings being super competitive)

I've actually been wondering if people on here would eventually want to live together since it would save all of us a ton of $$ on living and commute first year assuming we all will have similar schedules?

Los Gatos. I just googled the directions and it's about an hour commute without traffic... kind of far... That's 2 hours of valuable time wasted sitting in a car...

I was definitely thinking about trying to meet people at different ASWs and sparking up a convo about living situations. Obviously it would be preferable to find roommates beforehand. I'll keep your offer in mind for when I finally choose a school.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:53 pm

bkegslounge wrote:Los Gatos. I just googled the directions and it's about an hour commute without traffic... kind of far... That's 2 hours of valuable time wasted sitting in a car...

I was definitely thinking about trying to meet people at different ASWs and sparking up a convo about living situations. Obviously it would be preferable to find roommates beforehand. I'll keep your offer in mind for when I finally choose a school.

1 hour without traffic is a bit far..but yea do keep me in mind and we can talk. I'm thinking of doing the same. I live with 2 law students right now and it's pretty chill because everyone has a similar mindset but at same time we all kid around in the precious spare time we all have. (I'm undergrad but work a ton so I hardly have time as well)

And that's an offer to other people too! I like it because we keep house rules that make life clean, relaxed, and quiet so we can all study or rest as needed. Its hard if you face people who are all party animals and then you need to study but they dont

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:45 pm

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qapla

Postby qapla » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:20 am

For those of you considering attending the SCU ASD, I'd recommend it. The January one was largely non-informational but the experience itself was very informative. They took us on a tour of the law school buildings and a few other key campus facilities. After the tour, there was a reception where each professor spoke about their areas of interest and what law school activities they supervise. I felt that I was able to get a very strong sense for what the faculty and student culture is like. I met several lovely potential students and had a great time.

Each professor made a significant effort to engage with me for between 10-30 minutes. They were open to all kinds of questions about SCU and tried to introduce me to other faculty members who share my interests or who were affiliated with the SCU offerings I expressed interest in.

If SCU is still on your list of potential schools, I expect that the ASD will either make or break your decision. I haven't been to any other ASDs yet, so I'm not sure if that's a standard experience, but it was great.

sumaznboi12

Postby sumaznboi12 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:13 pm

Elinore Burkhardt from SCU admissions told me that they don't re-negotiate their scholarships.

Has anyone successfully negotiated with SCU?

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:25 pm

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bkegslounge

Postby bkegslounge » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:27 pm

sumaznboi12 wrote:Elinore Burkhardt from SCU admissions told me that they don't re-negotiate their scholarships.

That can't be true. If it is then I'm crossing SCU off my list. I plan on negotiating very soon. I'm just waiting for Hastings to send me an offer although I have other ammo.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:33 pm

Content Deleted

bkegslounge

Postby bkegslounge » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:47 pm

Moonlight wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:
sumaznboi12 wrote:Elinore Burkhardt from SCU admissions told me that they don't re-negotiate their scholarships.

That can't be true. If it is then I'm crossing SCU off my list. I plan on negotiating very soon. I'm just waiting for Hastings to send me an offer although I have other ammo.

Any idea what we may get for Hastings? I'm waiting for my award from them too.

Honestly, I have no clue because I don't really know how Need Access factors into their scholarship decision. All my other offers are simply merit based. When I spoke to the assistant dean from Hastings who called me, he sounded genuinely impressed with my application and I felt an implied, "hint hint... fill out your Need Access and you will get a scholarship offer." But that's just my interpretation. SCU only gave me 20k/yr for being over their medians. I'm hoping for at least around 15k/yr from Hastings. Dunno though.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:50 pm

Content Deleted

sumaznboi12

Postby sumaznboi12 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:43 pm

Moonlight wrote:

What position is she?

And I've heard some bad things about negotiating with SCU but I'm negotiating currently. They said they'll consider it and review it? So I'm hoping that's positive?

She's the Director of Law Financial Aid. Who is your point of contact?

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:34 am

Content Deleted

sumaznboi12

Postby sumaznboi12 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:46 pm

Moonlight wrote:
sumaznboi12 wrote:
Moonlight wrote:

What position is she?

And I've heard some bad things about negotiating with SCU but I'm negotiating currently. They said they'll consider it and review it? So I'm hoping that's positive?

She's the Director of Law Financial Aid. Who is your point of contact?

Really? I just emailed admissions office and they took it from there. I don't think I was assigned to anyone specific for point of contact.

Did they send you a form? Are you waiting for a response now?

astrodoggy

Postby astrodoggy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:41 pm

In Committee since 12/20... wtf! :(

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”