UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
FlyingNorth
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:25 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby FlyingNorth » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:57 pm

Icecold62 wrote:
Tburg wrote:
cron1834 wrote:The general consensus here seems to be that it's still early in the game re: money. If you expect to get into peer-or-higher schools, then you really need to wait until you have a competing offer. And you might. UCLA has no motivation to compete with Loyola. When March and April roll around, and lots of UCLA admits with offers have turned them down, they'll have more money to play with.

I'm far from an authority on this, but that seems to be the conventional wisdom around here.

I know someone who successfully negotiated a $25k scholarship from UCLA with a Loyola full-ride as leverage.


And a 4.0/178 but it was the Loyola scholly that really did it. Lol


Yeah...those numbers would almost guarantee a full-ride at UCLA.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1921
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby cron1834 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:01 pm

Tburg wrote:
cron1834 wrote:The general consensus here seems to be that it's still early in the game re: money. If you expect to get into peer-or-higher schools, then you really need to wait until you have a competing offer. And you might. UCLA has no motivation to compete with Loyola. When March and April roll around, and lots of UCLA admits with offers have turned them down, they'll have more money to play with.

I'm far from an authority on this, but that seems to be the conventional wisdom around here.

I know someone who successfully negotiated a $25k scholarship from UCLA with a Loyola full-ride as leverage.


Cool anecdote.

Look, people pull shit off every year. That doesn't mean that it should be expected to work for everyone.

The more I think about it, though, $25k/yr for a full-ride at Loyola doesn't seem that crazy. $75k is barely a quarter of your total COA at UCLA. It's less than half-tuition. I guess it depends what your goals are.

str8yolked
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:56 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby str8yolked » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:02 pm

csargean wrote:Sorry if this was previously discussed... but does anybody have any idea or guess as to the success wait coming off the waitlist. I was listed a week ago and would love to go to UCLA, but not sure if my chances are pretty slim of being called up.


+1

wygtsmile
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:07 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby wygtsmile » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:06 pm

I got around $20k for need-based scholarship from UCLA but none for merit-based.
Thinking about sending an email to negotiate my scholarship.
I received $111k from Emory and full tuition from Pepperdine. Would these be enough to get me some merit scholly from UCLA?

Plus, has anyone done merit based scholly interview with Dean Schawartz??

winterorange
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:38 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby winterorange » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:24 pm

Checking in. Applied 2/3, complete 2/11.

User avatar
AceDeuces
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby AceDeuces » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:49 pm

Has anyone received scholarship info yet? I haven't gotten any yet and am wondering if no news means I should initiate the conversation as I have offers from other schools.

User avatar
theonerd
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:26 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby theonerd » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:22 pm

AceDeuces wrote:Has anyone received scholarship info yet? I haven't gotten any yet and am wondering if no news means I should initiate the conversation as I have offers from other schools.


Check this out:
http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/timing ... nd-timing/

Remember, even though it may feel like something is taking forever, it is actually still pretty early in the game.

User avatar
AceDeuces
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby AceDeuces » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:37 pm

theonerd wrote:
AceDeuces wrote:Has anyone received scholarship info yet? I haven't gotten any yet and am wondering if no news means I should initiate the conversation as I have offers from other schools.


Check this out:
http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/timing ... nd-timing/

Remember, even though it may feel like something is taking forever, it is actually still pretty early in the game.



Yeah I've seen the piece... sometimes you just need a reminder to stay grounded... thanks.

User avatar
Tariffs
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Tariffs » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:28 pm

Waitlisted, see profile for stats.
ETA: Withdrew as well.

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby phillywc » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:24 pm

WL'd!

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1921
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby cron1834 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:31 pm

It's difficult to know when to attribute splitter-hostility and when to attribute YP.

xmking07
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:57 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby xmking07 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:46 pm

cron1834 wrote:It's difficult to know when to attribute splitter-hostility and when to attribute YP.


When dealing with California schools, err on the side of splitter-hostility. They really like a good gpa for whatever reason.

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby phillywc » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:48 pm

cron1834 wrote:It's difficult to know when to attribute splitter-hostility and when to attribute YP.

Mine is probably splitter-hostility, but I've seen some that have to be YP.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1921
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby cron1834 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:52 pm

Some of this, some of that.

Cal schools do seem to love them some GPA. But yeah, there are def some qualified applicants getting WL or Ding at Berk and UCLA in these threads.

kartelite
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby kartelite » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:33 pm

xmking07 wrote:
cron1834 wrote:It's difficult to know when to attribute splitter-hostility and when to attribute YP.


When dealing with California schools, err on the side of splitter-hostility. They really like a good gpa for whatever reason.


Not always, apparently..I got full scholarship with GPA barely over last year's median. Probably could have been YP just as easily.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1921
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby cron1834 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:24 am

If you're above both medians, you're not a splitter. That isn't what's meant by the term. Enjoy HYS, hth.

User avatar
UCLAHopeful2014
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby UCLAHopeful2014 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:54 pm

Received 1/6 and complete 1/10. Have not heard a peep! LSAT is at median and GPA is above 75%. :(

kartelite
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby kartelite » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:02 pm

cron1834 wrote:If you're above both medians, you're not a splitter. That isn't what's meant by the term. Enjoy HYS, hth.


Yeah I meant that they may weigh GPA more than LSAT, but my GPA isn't that high and I ended up with a scholarship. I am a splitter at a lot of schools I'm applying to though, including Stanford and Berkeley (LSAT > 75, GPA < 25 or < median).

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1921
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby cron1834 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:40 pm

kartelite wrote:
cron1834 wrote:If you're above both medians, you're not a splitter. That isn't what's meant by the term. Enjoy HYS, hth.


Yeah I meant that they may weigh GPA more than LSAT, but my GPA isn't that high and I ended up with a scholarship. I am a splitter at a lot of schools I'm applying to though, including Stanford and Berkeley (LSAT > 75, GPA < 25 or < median).


I'm a layperson, but I strongly suspect you'll have a great cycle.

User avatar
bloomingtea
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:35 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby bloomingtea » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:32 pm

Waitlisted today.
Submitted 1/22/14
Complete 1/24/14

yost
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby yost » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:45 pm

Got the call a few hours ago!

Submitted: 1/29
Complete: 1/31
Admitted: 2/20

169/3.3

I was pretty surprised considering UCLA's apparent hostility to splitters.

User avatar
odela
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:48 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby odela » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:57 pm

Waitlisted today.
Applied 1/22

URM (MA Male)
LSAT: 163
GPA: 3.85

User avatar
AceDeuces
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby AceDeuces » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:33 pm

After inquiring about merit based scholarships, UCLA offered me an interview with the Scholarship Committee. Just in case anyone was wondering about being more proactive! I think they respond to active interest in UCLA well.

User avatar
aboutmydaylight
Posts: 580
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:50 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby aboutmydaylight » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:57 pm

odela wrote:Waitlisted today.
Applied 1/22

URM (MA Male)
LSAT: 163
GPA: 3.85


Anything odd about your app? Seems like those would be auto-admit numbers at UCLA for a URM.

User avatar
AnonymousAlterEgoC
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:13 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:37 am

WL. I will probably withdraw. After some thinking, I don't think LA is the place for me.

In the WL email, the school claims a WL acceptance rate of 10-25%, depending on cycle. Does anyone know of any data here? I think there's strong reporting bias--people who get in are probably more likely to state their status than people who are denied.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”