UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
csargean

Re: UCLA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby csargean » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:19 pm

Ally Mcbeal wrote:Those of you with movement today...what was your timeline?

applied 11/27, complete 12/3, waitlisted today

Iroh

Postby Iroh » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:43 pm

scoobers wrote:Waitlisted :lol: . >median GPA, >75th LSAT, will be withdrawing.

Good luck everyone!

Awwwww yeahhhhh me too!

Except my GPA was below median but above the 25th. Mex URM though. Aren't you a URM too? If so yours is an undeniable case of yield protect.

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:51 pm

Hearing about all these WL emails coming out today...

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:08 pm

Iroh wrote:

Good luck everyone!

Awwwww yeahhhhh me too!

Except my GPA was below median but above the 25th. Mex URM though. Aren't you a URM too? If so yours is an undeniable case of yield protect.

:|
I wish I was urm.
But not in the institutionalized history of racism and historical second-class citizen status has created a system systematically lowering standardized test scores across the board and leading to an achievement gap that in does not reflect complete equal ability between different people type, more of the law-and-order episode where the really white kid finds out he's black just before he applies to college type. Aka the have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too urm.

FlyingNorth

Postby FlyingNorth » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:10 pm

scoobers wrote:
Iroh wrote:

Good luck everyone!

Awwwww yeahhhhh me too!

I wish I was urm.
But not in the institutionalized history of racism and historical second-class citizen status has created a system systematically lowering standardized test scores across the board and leading to an achievement gap that in does not reflect complete equal ability between different people type, more of the law-and-order episode where the really white kid finds out he's black just before he applies to college type. Aka the have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too urm.

Fucking lol, scoobs. This should be copy/pasted into the URM board.

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:29 pm

scoobers wrote:
Iroh wrote:

Good luck everyone!

Awwwww yeahhhhh me too!

I wish I was urm.

Savage13

Postby Savage13 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:33 pm

scoobers wrote:
Iroh wrote:

Good luck everyone!

Awwwww yeahhhhh me too!

I wish I was urm.

So, like the regular white kid who can gain tribal membership because they have a great great grandparent who was on the Dawes Roll?

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:41 pm

Savage13 wrote:
scoobers wrote:
Iroh wrote:

Good luck everyone!

Awwwww yeahhhhh me too!

I wish I was urm.

So, like the regular white kid who can gain tribal membership because they have a great great grandparent who was on the Dawes Roll?

There ya go, that was me last year... I didnt use it. Some other folks on the forums thought i was nuts for not using it....i just needed to apply for the tribal card. My family has a "thing" about those preferences....it must be a midwest/repub thing.....instead of Stanford i am at UCLA.

whjohnso444

Postby whjohnso444 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:03 pm

No waitlist email today. I have a 168 and a 3.2. Anyone else accepted with these numbers? Do I have a chance?

Ally Mcbeal

Postby Ally Mcbeal » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:05 pm

Maybe I'm on the slower side. Can someone explain Scoobs urm blurb? lol

lawyereddd

Postby lawyereddd » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:12 am

If you didn't hear anything about financial merit scholarships during the admission call or acceptance letter, that means you weren't awarded any, right? Or, do they send scholarship info later?

Serett

Postby Serett » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:55 am

lawyereddd wrote:If you didn't hear anything about financial merit scholarships during the admission call or acceptance letter, that means you weren't awarded any, right? Or, do they send scholarship info later?

Credited response if you weren't awarded initial aid over the phone but are seriously interested in attending UCLA is to reach out to the Admissions Office.

ganlan

Postby ganlan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:04 am

whjohnso444 wrote:No waitlist email today. I have a 168 and a 3.2. Anyone else accepted with these numbers? Do I have a chance?

I was accepted a few weeks back - 3.4, 168. There's hope still!

aserr007

Postby aserr007 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:55 am

Applied 1/30 accepted 2/7; 167 LSAT and 3.9 GPA and I was a UCLA undergrad

JR20

Postby JR20 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:54 pm

Did everybody who got accepted hear back about merit-based scholarships yet?
I thought I would receive at least a few thousand because I'm slightly above their 75ths, but it's been a month since the acceptance letter and no financial aid letter. I don't know if I should give up on my chances of a scholarship or not. Or should I email them?

I don't know if this affects anything, but I also didn't hear back from them until more than a month after I applied, even though everybody with similar stats heard back within one or two weeks and got their scholarships with their acceptance letters.

Vexed

Postby Vexed » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:37 pm

JR20 wrote:Did everybody who got accepted hear back about merit-based scholarships yet?
I thought I would receive at least a few thousand because I'm slightly above their 75ths, but it's been a month since the acceptance letter and no financial aid letter. I don't know if I should give up on my chances of a scholarship or not. Or should I email them?

I don't know if this affects anything, but I also didn't hear back from them until more than a month after I applied, even though everybody with similar stats heard back within one or two weeks and got their scholarships with their acceptance letters.

I'm in roughly the same boat, although I'm above 75th LSAT and wedged in-between 25th and median GPA. The ASW makes it seem like they are continuously reviewing to offer scholarships, but I haven't seen anybody post that received a scholarship offer after the initial admissions info.

Also not really sure how to approach them about it while I still wait to hear back from other schools and don't have another offer to try to get them to match... seems a little too blunt to just be like "so, my numbers...".

I also took a month to hear back on a decision, although I did go complete relatively quickly.

JR20

Postby JR20 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:01 pm

Vexed wrote:
JR20 wrote:Did everybody who got accepted hear back about merit-based scholarships yet?

I'm in roughly the same boat, although I'm above 75th LSAT and wedged in-between 25th and median GPA. The ASW makes it seem like they are continuously reviewing to offer scholarships, but I haven't seen anybody post that received a scholarship offer after the initial admissions info.

Also not really sure how to approach them about it while I still wait to hear back from other schools and don't have another offer to try to get them to match... seems a little too blunt to just be like "so, my numbers...".

I also took a month to hear back on a decision, although I did go complete relatively quickly.

I was thinking about sending them an email stating that I was interested in merit aid. It's just weird because they're not very clear if they just passed us up on merit scholarships or are still reviewing our applications from a merit scholarship point.

I haven't received any scholarship offers from other schools yet but I have been accepted to multiple T-14 schools. Do you think I should mention that in my email to them or hold off sending an email until I do receive other scholarships?

Pishee77

Postby Pishee77 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:04 pm

JR20 wrote:
Vexed wrote:

I was thinking about sending them an email stating that I was interested in merit aid. It's just weird because they're not very clear if they just passed us up on merit scholarships or are still reviewing our applications from a merit scholarship point.

I haven't received any scholarship offers from other schools yet but I have been accepted to multiple T-14 schools. Do you think I should mention that in my email to them or hold off sending an email until I do receive other scholarships?
Hold

wwbeyoncedo

Postby wwbeyoncedo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:05 pm

JR20 wrote:
Vexed wrote:

Curious about this as well. I was accepted without a phone call and never received scholarship info with my acceptance packet. Maybe they're waiting to offer out of state students admitted in the last month or so?

aboutmydaylight

Postby aboutmydaylight » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:04 pm

Accepted today in mail (though I've been getting emails that were suggesting I got in for a few days).

Merit based letter came with the rest of the admissions package for those curious. Dean's scholarship for full tuition conditional on 2.5+.

URM + above both 75th's + In state.
Last edited by aboutmydaylight on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:04 pm

I also received scholarship info with my admit earlier this week by mail. Total amount was about $5k higher than LSN predicted based on my numbers - which is to say, LSN was very accurate.

FlyingNorth

Postby FlyingNorth » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:08 pm

aboutmydaylight wrote:
URM + above both 75th's + In state.

Dios mio, you're like UCLA's holy grail.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:30 pm

No, in-state has a lower base rate of tuition, so it's arguably not preferable for them. Unless they have a quota to fill like UT or UVA, in-state is not a boost. I'm not aware of any quotas, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, Holy Grail would be URM! Then you're cooking with gas! :D

aboutmydaylight

Postby aboutmydaylight » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:39 am

So question I guess. How hard is it to maintain a 2.5 GPA at UCLA? I've heard anecdotally that most people maintain UCLA scholarships but I've also read on here that conditional scholarships are a no go. Which is it?

cron1834 wrote:No, in-state has a lower base rate of tuition, so it's arguably not preferable for them. Unless they have a quota to fill like UT or UVA, in-state is not a boost. I'm not aware of any quotas, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, Holy Grail would be URM! Then you're cooking with gas! :D

Lower base rate of tuition, but I'd assume much higher rate of attrition probably outweighs that.

darkforg

Postby darkforg » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:41 pm

Curve at UCLA law
25-29% As, 41-52% B/B+s, 18-22% B-s, and 5-8% Cs

Pretty hard to get sub 2.5 gpa considering that only 5-8% of the class get Cs (usually C+'s)
You can get 1/2 B-'s (2.7) and 1/2 C+'s (2.3) to maintain 2.5

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”