UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wealtheow

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby wealtheow » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:06 pm

China Spy wrote:
wealtheow wrote:
bonerland wrote:ii) In last year's thread, only one person reported being admitted straight from UR after FR1 decisions were released. (They were probably a troll).

just curious, why do you think the bolded?

Remember when the poster Angel got a call from FR and then no one else did for like 2 days and everyone was starting to believe he was trolling the thread? Imagine if that admit wave had never arrived. Would you then not believe the poster was a troll?

haha, yes, i do remember. but i was kind of hoping for some juicy prior year gossip is all.
Last edited by wealtheow on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gma221

Postby gma221 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:07 pm

fatheranderson15 wrote:
gma221 wrote:
teampeeta wrote:
gma221 wrote:Seems weird though that they would do two waves of dings, one immediately before FR2 and one immediately after. Of course we're all just speculating, but I think there's reason to be optimistic if you missed the FR2 boat today and are still UR.

I'd like to believe you, but there are people who got into HYS who got FR'd in the first or second round. I don't know that it's the best sign for those of us who still haven't heard anything.

I'm actually one of those people. In at S last week, FR2 today. I wouldn't read too much into that, though. I think Berkeley's just a little weird. :)

Well crap, I'm definitely not surviving this FR2 then.

Like I said, don't read too much into it. :) My GPA is on the dangerously low end for Berkeley, so I wouldn't be surprised if I got dinged. I have extensive WE (8 years) and a demonstrated interest in PI, but Berkeley seems to value straight numbers more than anything else.

gma221

Postby gma221 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:09 pm

paoligepaw wrote:Just got in FR2. Does anyone know how the answer to the question "Do you grant permission to have your file reviewed by student members of the Admissions Committee?" in the application will affect the review? Can the answer be changed now? Nervous... :roll:

I answered "no" and was wondering about this myself. It said on the app that it wouldn't affect our chances of admission, so I'm thinking they'll somehow separate us into a stack that only gets reviewed by profs.

China Spy

Postby China Spy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:10 pm

gma221 wrote:
paoligepaw wrote:Just got in FR2. Does anyone know how the answer to the question "Do you grant permission to have your file reviewed by student members of the Admissions Committee?" in the application will affect the review? Can the answer be changed now? Nervous... :roll:

I answered "no" and was wondering about this myself. It said on the app that it wouldn't affect our chances of admission, so I'm thinking they'll somehow separate us into a stack that only gets reviewed by profs.

Curios as to what led you guys to decide against granting permission.

bonerland

Postby bonerland » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:14 pm

wealtheow wrote:
bonerland wrote:ii) In last year's thread, only one person reported being admitted straight from UR after FR1 decisions were released. (They were probably a troll).

just curious, why do you think the bolded?

Because we are on the interwebz.

I cannot help but be skeptical of a claim pertaining to an admission decision that is irregular. Especially when (i) the adcomms are known to release decisions in batches and (ii) the intended audience is a group of anxious applicants who the poster knows would be panic-stricken were they to claim that they had been admitted.

Same goes for 180 self-reported LSAT scores on the waiting threads.

Pics or gtfo!
Last edited by bonerland on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:14 pm

China Spy wrote:
gma221 wrote:

i ultimately ok'ed it, but was reluctant initially, because i, perhaps unfairly, imagined students might be grasping to find suggestions, and therefore would be more likely to concentrate on piddly shit like typos. i work at a college and frankly a lot of times i feel like some of our work study students just pull stuff right out of their rears. probably i am just being hypercritical.

in any event, it sounds like, from what some "insiders" have posted, that the student input is not really given much weight.

gma221

Postby gma221 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:16 pm

China Spy wrote:
gma221 wrote:

For me it was just a gut feeling that my personal statement would jive better with professors than with students.

calle_25

Postby calle_25 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:17 pm

I got the FR e-mail today too.

(Went UR on 1/27 and this is the first movement I've seen since)
Last edited by calle_25 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:18 pm

any idea -roughly- how many are in this fr2 batch? (i thought i read somewhere fr2 is traditionally the smaller of the two batches, but i could be delirious on nyquil right now)

(bonerland, looking at you - you seem to have your berkeley shiz particularly together)
Last edited by wealtheow on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dormgirl76

Postby dormgirl76 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:34 pm

Just got the Further Review e-mail as well, went Under Review on 1/13. Is the general consensus that further review means they are not sure about you? I'm a bit confused because my numbers are pretty good for Berkeley.

bonerland

Postby bonerland » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:41 pm

wealtheow wrote:any idea -roughly- how many are in this fr2 batch? (i thought i read somewhere fr2 is traditionally the smaller of the two batches, but i could be delirious on nyquil right now)

(bonerland, looking at you - you seem to have your berkeley shiz particularly together)

I have no clue. There is an admissions chart somewhere that displays how many admits, dings, and WLs they have by month. Maybe that could give you a rough idea.

I unfortunately do not remember where I saw it.

Arrow4Christ

Postby Arrow4Christ » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:53 pm

wealtheow wrote:
Arrow4Christ wrote:FR2 here as well. Somewhat disappointed, but at least there's hope.

i was just wondering if you got FR2! glad im in good company.

fkt18 wrote: Now I feel better, great company here for FR2. :D

Awe :) Thanks, you guys! If I've gotta be here, I'm glad I'm here with you.

cesium

Postby cesium » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:57 pm

Is there an FR3? In other words, is it still possible to be "UR" after the FR2 decisions have come out (tentatively around March 14)? 'Cause then those folks would have to be admitted/rejected/WLed straight from UR.

Vexed

Postby Vexed » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:00 pm

Got the FR email today after sitting at UR since 1/13.

lejabberwocky

Postby lejabberwocky » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:02 pm

dormgirl76 wrote:Just got the Further Review e-mail as well, went Under Review on 1/13. Is the general consensus that further review means they are not sure about you? I'm a bit confused because my numbers are pretty good for Berkeley.

I was under review on 1/13 as well, and heard nothing until the FR email right now. I'm also a little confused, since I am >75th on both numbers, and a California resident with pretty strong softs. Is it possible UR people who applied later in the cycle were kind of shuffled into FR2? /hopes

It seems like the archivists of the 2016 thread are suggesting that there were no reputable straight up UR admittances after FR1... /clings to hope

Arrow4Christ

Postby Arrow4Christ » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:04 pm

lejabberwocky wrote:
dormgirl76 wrote:Just got the Further Review e-mail as well, went Under Review on 1/13. Is the general consensus that further review means they are not sure about you? I'm a bit confused because my numbers are pretty good for Berkeley.

I was under review on 1/13 as well, and heard nothing until the FR email right now. I'm also a little confused, since I am >75th on both numbers, and a California resident with pretty strong softs. Is it possible UR people who applied later in the cycle were kind of shuffled into FR2? /hopes

It seems like the archivists of the 2016 thread are suggesting that there were no reputable straight up UR admittances after FR1... /clings to hope

That seems to be the case. I'm thinking/hoping now that FR2 might be best us late submitters could have hoped to expect.

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:09 pm

Arrow4Christ wrote:
lejabberwocky wrote:

That seems to be the case. I'm thinking/hoping now that FR2 might be best us late submitters could have hoped to expect.

unfortunately, i'm thinking this as well. i'm a lot happier about this sitch than i was about an hour ago, but i am REALLY kicking myself for not applying before i got my december score.
i think many of us (myself included) thought being late wouldn't matter as much this cycle, but perhaps berkeley hasn't yet found itself having to modify its approach all that much.

im also still searching for the post i *thought* i saw regarding the relative size of the fr batches, but i can't seem to find it ;_;

kartelite

Postby kartelite » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:12 pm

gma221 wrote:
For me it was just a gut feeling that my personal statement would jive better with professors than with students.

Jiving with professors? Reminds me of swing dance club in high school...

williamsme90

Postby williamsme90 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:16 pm

I am so sad that the consensus seems to be that those left UR will be dinged. I was so hopeful after staying alive through the rejections from earlier this week. :(

cesium

Postby cesium » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:18 pm

wealtheow wrote:
Arrow4Christ wrote:
lejabberwocky wrote:

unfortunately, i'm thinking this as well. i'm a lot happier about this sitch than i was about an hour ago, but i am REALLY kicking myself for not applying before i got my december score.
i think many of us (myself included) thought being late wouldn't matter as much this cycle, but perhaps berkeley hasn't yet found itself having to modify its approach all that much.

im also still searching for the post i *thought* i saw regarding the relative size of the fr batches, but i can't seem to find it ;_;

+1, I agree with you guys. At least this means that we have a better-than-FR1 chance of getting admitted from FR2! :)

groovy20

Postby groovy20 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:21 pm

williamsme90 wrote:I am so sad that the consensus seems to be that those left UR will be dinged. I was so hopeful after staying alive through the rejections from earlier this week. :(

Me too. At first, I was a bit optimistic. However, a few posters have pointed out that there does seem to be too many of us still UR to be admitted without going to FR2. My only hope is that there will be another FR2 wave next week. Or perhaps there are taken other factors into considerations for those of us not pushed to FR2 because I do not see why they wouldn't have just dinged us on Wednesday. Here's to more speculation.

pixy1900

Postby pixy1900 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:23 pm

groovy20 wrote:
williamsme90 wrote:I am so sad that the consensus seems to be that those left UR will be dinged. I was so hopeful after staying alive through the rejections from earlier this week. :(

Me too. At first, I was a bit optimistic. However, a few posters have pointed out that there does seem to be too many of us still UR to be admitted without going to FR2. My only hope is that there will be another FR2 wave next week. Or perhaps there are taken other factors into considerations for those of us not pushed to FR2 because I do not see why they wouldn't have just dinged us on Wednesday. Here's to more speculation.

+1, UR since 12/16 and silence since. :(

lemons

Postby lemons » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:23 pm

Sooooo...

Submitted 2/1
Complete 2/3
UR 2/3
FR 2/21

below both 25ths, MA URM

I'm thinking that because I applied so late there was no chance for me to get anywhere besides Faculty Review, right? I'm trying to stay hopeful but it seems like people are not too happy to go under faculty review.

williamsme90

Postby williamsme90 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:23 pm

groovy20 wrote:

Agreed, it does seem weird that we weren't dinged on Wednesday, especially since those with the same UR date were...
I'm setting myself up for the worst, but still hoping for some encouraging news.

gma221

Postby gma221 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:33 pm

I'm curious about the stats for people who are still UR, if any of you are willing to share. If there are any "special snowflakes" among you (i.e., people with crazy high numbers and/or extraordinary softs who have been accepted to a number of other T14s), then I think we'll be seeing some more straight admits.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”