UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
HarvardHopeful
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby HarvardHopeful » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:33 pm

BostonFuse51 wrote:Went under review 11/4 so hoping for some action this week. With some of the other posters on this thread hearing back a week after going under review, I hope that's not too unreasonable...

Congrats to all the admits!


+1

User avatar
applelover
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby applelover » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:37 pm

Still waiting to go complete.

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby goldenflash19 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:02 pm

checking in, one of my top choices

drewmack03
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:47 am

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby drewmack03 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:15 pm

I submitted my app on 11/5, is it normal to not have heard anything back from them yet? I haven't even gotten an "application received" email and I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not...

User avatar
okok
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby okok » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:21 pm

BostonFuse51 wrote:Went under review 11/4 so hoping for some action this week. With some of the other posters on this thread hearing back a week after going under review, I hope that's not too unreasonable...

Congrats to all the admits!



same here

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby 052220151 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:26 pm

I really wish Berkeley would hurry up with my ding letter.

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby 04102014 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:31 pm

deputydog wrote:I really wish Berkeley would hurry up with my ding letter.


Usually early Feb.

User avatar
aldiddy
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby aldiddy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:38 pm

deputydog wrote:I really wish Berkeley would hurry up with my ding letter.


Lol that's the spirit.

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby cotiger » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:40 pm

.
Last edited by cotiger on Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby mirroroferised7 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:30 pm

Went complete 11/4/2013, still waiting for an update.
<sigh>

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby 052220151 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:42 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:Went complete 11/4/2013, still waiting for an update.
<sigh>


lol

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby mirroroferised7 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:47 pm

Psh, deputydog, I'm a good enough lurker to know that you've at least heard back from one school (I can't remember which, and am too lazy to find the thread). So, don't "lol" me about being impatient! You've already tasted sweet, sweet victory.

User avatar
gobears!!
Posts: 2080
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:04 am

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby gobears!! » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:57 pm

Hey everyone. I applied on 10/30, went complete on the 4th. Have not obtained any updates since.

I actually spoke with Dean Tom twice and he discussed the process. He said that someone will actually review the application within 24-48 hours of it being submitted (either him or his staff). They then go into one of three piles. The first pile is an automatic yes, the second is the no pile, and the third pile is the faculty/student review pile. He said that Halloween is when he really starts delving into things and tries to get some decisions out by the end of November (He did say 10/31-Thanksgiving is the best time to apply to ensure that you are still early, but that they do save space for later applicants). I do believe him when he says that they have a holistic review. If you have bad score or a bad gpa and explain it, he will place less emphasis on that portion of your application.

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby mirroroferised7 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:20 pm

You spoke with him? How?

User avatar
okok
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby okok » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:29 pm

gobears!! wrote:Hey everyone. I applied on 10/30, went complete on the 4th. Have not obtained any updates since.

I actually spoke with Dean Tom twice and he discussed the process. He said that someone will actually review the application within 24-48 hours of it being submitted (either him or his staff). They then go into one of three piles. The first pile is an automatic yes, the second is the no pile, and the third pile is the faculty/student review pile. He said that Halloween is when he really starts delving into things and tries to get some decisions out by the end of November (He did say 10/31-Thanksgiving is the best time to apply to ensure that you are still early, but that they do save space for later applicants). I do believe him when he says that they have a holistic review. If you have bad score or a bad gpa and explain it, he will place less emphasis on that portion of your application.


So if your status checker goes UR you think it's safe to assume you're in the third pile?

User avatar
gobears!!
Posts: 2080
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:04 am

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby gobears!! » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:08 pm

I am not sure how the status checker parallels any action in the admissions process. Berkeley places more applications I think in the third pile just because it allows for more insight to be put into the decision making process. I do not view it as a bad thing! I think it is good to allow the professors and students to judge you too because you will be a colleague. How fast they move through the apps depends on how many professors and students they have making reviews?

Dean Tom held an info session at the law school in September or October. He was also at a law school fair and talked about the process. He is really a nice person and is really persistent in saying that he likes ensuring a comprehensive review. Berkeley is also known for being one of the schools with the most applicants so it does take some time to move through the masses.

Sorry I cannot answer the questions more directly. That is just what I heard so I thought I would share. Berkeley is one of the schools that is very difficult to predict anything! It is both a blessing and a scary scary thing!

User avatar
HarvardHopeful
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby HarvardHopeful » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:02 pm

I keep hoping Dean Tom will be making more calls this week :(

User avatar
okok
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby okok » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:42 am

HarvardHopeful wrote:I keep hoping Dean Tom will be making more calls this week :(


You and me both

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby 052220151 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:36 am

mirroroferised7 wrote:Psh, deputydog, I'm a good enough lurker to know that you've at least heard back from one school (I can't remember which, and am too lazy to find the thread). So, don't "lol" me about being impatient! You've already tasted sweet, sweet victory.


Haha, fair enough. I submitted a long time ago, so I was loling at your 9 days of anguish.

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Kimikho » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:38 am

checking in. submitting this week.

User avatar
McAvoy
Posts: 1584
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby McAvoy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:30 am

I'm considering applying, but can't decide if it's worth the fee. My LSAT is one point above the median, but GPA is a little bit below 25th (non-URM with pretty good softs, potentially retaking in Feb. for scholarship purposes).

I know LSN says it does not look like I'd have any chance, but it's still hard to completely write it off when my numbers are in the ballpark.

I would consider a 10-20% percent chance "worth it," would I maybe be in that range or not? Appreciate any thoughts!

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby 052220151 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:12 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:I'm considering applying, but can't decide if it's worth the fee. My LSAT is one point above the median, but GPA is a little bit below 25th (non-URM with pretty good softs, potentially retaking in Feb. for scholarship purposes).

I know LSN says it does not look like I'd have any chance, but it's still hard to completely write it off when my numbers are in the ballpark.

I would consider a 10-20% percent chance "worth it," would I maybe be in that range or not? Appreciate any thoughts!


I was in this boat and I applied

User avatar
okok
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby okok » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:17 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:I'm considering applying, but can't decide if it's worth the fee. My LSAT is one point above the median, but GPA is a little bit below 25th (non-URM with pretty good softs, potentially retaking in Feb. for scholarship purposes).

I know LSN says it does not look like I'd have any chance, but it's still hard to completely write it off when my numbers are in the ballpark.

I would consider a 10-20% percent chance "worth it," would I maybe be in that range or not? Appreciate any thoughts!


did you try to solicit a fee waiver?

but otherwise a 10-20% chance isn't all that bad, and Berkeley seems to be the most committed to this "holistic review" everyone talks about.
Your softs might push you into the accept or wl pile.

thestatusguo
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:06 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby thestatusguo » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:19 pm

deputydog wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:Psh, deputydog, I'm a good enough lurker to know that you've at least heard back from one school (I can't remember which, and am too lazy to find the thread). So, don't "lol" me about being impatient! You've already tasted sweet, sweet victory.


Haha, fair enough. I submitted a long time ago, so I was loling at your 9 days of anguish.


+1

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby 052220151 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:20 pm

okok wrote:
Will_McAvoy wrote:I'm considering applying, but can't decide if it's worth the fee. My LSAT is one point above the median, but GPA is a little bit below 25th (non-URM with pretty good softs, potentially retaking in Feb. for scholarship purposes).

I know LSN says it does not look like I'd have any chance, but it's still hard to completely write it off when my numbers are in the ballpark.

I would consider a 10-20% percent chance "worth it," would I maybe be in that range or not? Appreciate any thoughts!


did you try to solicit a fee waiver?

but otherwise a 10-20% chance isn't all that bad, and Berkeley seems to be the most committed to this "holistic review" everyone talks about.
Your softs might push you into the accept or wl pile.


I thought Berkeley didn't do merit waivers?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arthrod, Exabot [Bot], henryyou, smartmoon and 4 guests