UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Vexed
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Vexed » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:36 pm

Looking at all of my status checkers today after hyping up Wednesday in my head:

Image

User avatar
capt_slow
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby capt_slow » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:45 pm

+1

User avatar
furrrman
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby furrrman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:48 pm

love4life29 wrote:Hmmm so I'm >75th both GPA and LSAT, UR 1/21. Should I be happy or sad if I go to FR?


A previous poster in this thread (or from last years, can't remember) who apparently knows the process says once you got FR numbers no longer matter, its about your softs and what kind of fit you'd be for the school.

User avatar
waferthinmint
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby waferthinmint » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:04 pm

Vexed wrote:Looking at all of my status checkers today after hyping up Wednesday in my head:

Image


+1+1+1

User avatar
capt_slow
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby capt_slow » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:08 pm

waferthinmint wrote:
Vexed wrote:Looking at all of my status checkers today after hyping up Wednesday in my head:

Image


+1+1+1

+2

User avatar
Cocoblues
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Cocoblues » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:26 pm

^^^^
That :(

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 2323
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Slytherpuff » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:27 pm

Maybe we'll still get some late emails today? :(

pcthenls
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby pcthenls » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:40 pm

Better they take their time. We have only a one in seven, or one in eight chance after getting to faculty review right, divide that be two if there are two full FR stages...

I'd prefer they take the full amount of time they promised us and do as much holistic review as possible. But maybe that's just me.

User avatar
capt_slow
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby capt_slow » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:55 pm

pcthenls wrote:Better they take their time. We have only a one in seven, or one in eight chance after getting to faculty review right, divide that be two if there are two full FR stages...

I'd prefer they take the full amount of time they promised us and do as much holistic review as possible. But maybe that's just me.


Stop bringing your reason to this thread. :lol:

User avatar
musharraf
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby musharraf » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:05 pm

So should I keep hitting refresh on the status checker for another couple of hours, or is the consensus that today's a bust and it's okay to go get dinner??

User avatar
BenjarvusGreenEllis
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:40 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby BenjarvusGreenEllis » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:10 pm

musharraf wrote:So should I keep hitting refresh on the status checker for another couple of hours, or is the consensus that today's a bust and it's okay to go get dinner??


I'd eat

User avatar
PrizeFighter
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:57 am

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby PrizeFighter » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:19 pm

furrrman wrote:
love4life29 wrote:Hmmm so I'm >75th both GPA and LSAT, UR 1/21. Should I be happy or sad if I go to FR?


A previous poster in this thread (or from last years, can't remember) who apparently knows the process says once you got FR numbers no longer matter, its about your softs and what kind of fit you'd be for the school.



I just went to an admissions event thing at Boalt, and someone who's been on FR in the past (without explicitly saying that numbers no longer mattered at that point) gave me this impression.

User avatar
Arrow4Christ
Posts: 418
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Arrow4Christ » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:20 pm

What gives, Berkeley? :( My hope for straight admission is fading fast...

User avatar
bloomingtea
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:35 am

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby bloomingtea » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:08 pm

Excerpt from http://www.epinions.com/review/educ-Law_Schools-All-University_of_California_Berkeley_Law/content_15995932292?sb=1
What Happens to Your Application Once It's Received

Once the preliminary details of setting up a file and confirming that your application is indeed complete, the real process begins. I can't claim to know precisely how this works, but this is the gist of it.

Step One: Administrative Review

This initial step is what everyone traditionally thinks of when the phrase "Admissions Process" is mentioned. Known as "administrative review," this phase entails weeding out the candidates who will be immediately accepted or rejected. Surprisingly, the Director of Admissions, Edward Tom, personally reads many of the applications, as he remembered my application when I met him at a reception for admitted students.

I do not know what the range is for the immediate acceptances and rejections. However, I can say that it doesn't appear to be a strict "numbers game." I know of friends and classmates who were rejected despite a 170 LSAT score, or were accepted despite a 156 LSAT score. This leads me to believe that other factors are also considered before making the first cut.

What I find more important is the claim that the majority of the class is admitted through the second phase.

Step Two: Referral to the Admissions Committee

The Director of Admissions refers a large number of files to the Admissions Committee. These are the files that have made the first cut and require a more detailed consideration before a final decision is made.

First, some background on the Admissions Committee itself. Six faculty members are appointed to the committee and each are paired with 2 students, making a total of 18 committee members. These are the individuals who will pore over your file, or perhaps briefly glance over it. And this is where one should be focusing their time and energy if one is not an unbelievably extraordinary candidate.

Before we began our interviews, we talked to previous student government officers as well as others familiar with the admissions committee. And since then, I have also followed up with some of the candidates we appointed to gauge their experiences. The basic message is that all of the power is concentrated in the hands of professors.

Yet, for a variety of reasons, many professors have empowered their "student partners" and highly value their judgments. For instance, some professors have been known to negotiate with students to come to a consensus on which students will be admitted. Others are said to have ignored the student input. It's a toss-up dependent on the whims of the current crop of faculty members.

But I will add this--students on the committee are less likely to look at numbers and more willing to look at the whole application. After all, the Director of Admissions would have immediately rejected the candidates if he deemed the numbers too low. Thus, when interviewing, I looked for student members who would consider everything BUT the numbers.

angelshare
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby angelshare » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:32 pm

bloomingtea wrote:Excerpt from http://www.epinions.com/review/educ-Law_Schools-All-University_of_California_Berkeley_Law/content_15995932292?sb=1
What Happens to Your Application Once It's Received

Once the preliminary details of setting up a file and confirming that your application is indeed complete, the real process begins. I can't claim to know precisely how this works, but this is the gist of it.

Step One: Administrative Review

This initial step is what everyone traditionally thinks of when the phrase "Admissions Process" is mentioned. Known as "administrative review," this phase entails weeding out the candidates who will be immediately accepted or rejected. Surprisingly, the Director of Admissions, Edward Tom, personally reads many of the applications, as he remembered my application when I met him at a reception for admitted students.

I do not know what the range is for the immediate acceptances and rejections. However, I can say that it doesn't appear to be a strict "numbers game." I know of friends and classmates who were rejected despite a 170 LSAT score, or were accepted despite a 156 LSAT score. This leads me to believe that other factors are also considered before making the first cut.

What I find more important is the claim that the majority of the class is admitted through the second phase.

Step Two: Referral to the Admissions Committee

The Director of Admissions refers a large number of files to the Admissions Committee. These are the files that have made the first cut and require a more detailed consideration before a final decision is made.

First, some background on the Admissions Committee itself. Six faculty members are appointed to the committee and each are paired with 2 students, making a total of 18 committee members. These are the individuals who will pore over your file, or perhaps briefly glance over it. And this is where one should be focusing their time and energy if one is not an unbelievably extraordinary candidate.

Before we began our interviews, we talked to previous student government officers as well as others familiar with the admissions committee. And since then, I have also followed up with some of the candidates we appointed to gauge their experiences. The basic message is that all of the power is concentrated in the hands of professors.

Yet, for a variety of reasons, many professors have empowered their "student partners" and highly value their judgments. For instance, some professors have been known to negotiate with students to come to a consensus on which students will be admitted. Others are said to have ignored the student input. It's a toss-up dependent on the whims of the current crop of faculty members.

But I will add this--students on the committee are less likely to look at numbers and more willing to look at the whole application. After all, the Director of Admissions would have immediately rejected the candidates if he deemed the numbers too low. Thus, when interviewing, I looked for student members who would consider everything BUT the numbers.


Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have any info on whether a specific FR applicant is reviewed by the entire 18 member committee or only the 3 member committee to which your FR file was assigned to? (NOT INCLUDING THOSE FR applicants WHO REQUESTED THIER FILES NOT BE READ BY STUDENTS)

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby rion91 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:53 am

163 / 3.4 GPA / URM / Strong softs checking in. Submitted 2/3

User avatar
Dekal2009
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 11:54 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Dekal2009 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:54 pm

I dont know what to think...I submitted August...went complete 10/2....but haven't received a status update since.
(3.6, 155)...Perhaps the underdog will get a wait list :D

bonerland
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby bonerland » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:12 pm

Did anyone go UR before the deadline with less than two letters of recommendation?

I submitted early January while waiting on my second LoR, then went complete and under review 2/3.

Someone mentioned earlier that they submitted in November with one letter and were an auto-admit. :cry:

User avatar
Marshmallow
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Marshmallow » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:15 pm

bonerland wrote:Did anyone go UR before the deadline with less than two letters of recommendation?

I submitted early January while waiting on my second LoR, then went complete and under review 2/3.

Someone mentioned earlier that they submitted in November with one letter and were an auto-admit. :cry:


just going off memory so someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think since berkeley only required 1 (or 0?) they'll mark your file as complete even if you're waiting on LoRs.

bonerland
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby bonerland » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:19 pm

Marshmallow wrote:
bonerland wrote:Did anyone go UR before the deadline with less than two letters of recommendation?

I submitted early January while waiting on my second LoR, then went complete and under review 2/3.

Someone mentioned earlier that they submitted in November with one letter and were an auto-admit. :cry:


just going off memory so someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think since berkeley only required 1 (or 0?) they'll mark your file as complete even if you're waiting on LoRs.


Yes, Berkeley had no LoR requirement, but they waited for my second LoR to mark me as complete. I thought my chances would be better submitting earlier with only one.

User avatar
Marshmallow
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Marshmallow » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:22 pm

bonerland wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:
bonerland wrote:Did anyone go UR before the deadline with less than two letters of recommendation?

I submitted early January while waiting on my second LoR, then went complete and under review 2/3.

Someone mentioned earlier that they submitted in November with one letter and were an auto-admit. :cry:


just going off memory so someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think since berkeley only required 1 (or 0?) they'll mark your file as complete even if you're waiting on LoRs.


Yes, Berkeley had no LoR requirement, but they waited for my second LoR to mark me as complete. I thought my chances would be better submitting earlier with only one.


sorry, i think i misread your question/comment. i'm surprised then that they didn't mark you as complete after the one

User avatar
gobears!!
Posts: 2080
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:04 am

Post removed.

Postby gobears!! » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:17 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by gobears!! on Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lemons
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby lemons » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:10 pm

bloomingtea wrote:Excerpt from http://www.epinions.com/review/educ-Law_Schools-All-University_of_California_Berkeley_Law/content_15995932292?sb=1
What Happens to Your Application Once It's Received

Once the preliminary details of setting up a file and confirming that your application is indeed complete, the real process begins. I can't claim to know precisely how this works, but this is the gist of it.

Step One: Administrative Review

This initial step is what everyone traditionally thinks of when the phrase "Admissions Process" is mentioned. Known as "administrative review," this phase entails weeding out the candidates who will be immediately accepted or rejected. Surprisingly, the Director of Admissions, Edward Tom, personally reads many of the applications, as he remembered my application when I met him at a reception for admitted students.

I do not know what the range is for the immediate acceptances and rejections. However, I can say that it doesn't appear to be a strict "numbers game." I know of friends and classmates who were rejected despite a 170 LSAT score, or were accepted despite a 156 LSAT score. This leads me to believe that other factors are also considered before making the first cut.

What I find more important is the claim that the majority of the class is admitted through the second phase.

Step Two: Referral to the Admissions Committee

The Director of Admissions refers a large number of files to the Admissions Committee. These are the files that have made the first cut and require a more detailed consideration before a final decision is made.

First, some background on the Admissions Committee itself. Six faculty members are appointed to the committee and each are paired with 2 students, making a total of 18 committee members. These are the individuals who will pore over your file, or perhaps briefly glance over it. And this is where one should be focusing their time and energy if one is not an unbelievably extraordinary candidate.

Before we began our interviews, we talked to previous student government officers as well as others familiar with the admissions committee. And since then, I have also followed up with some of the candidates we appointed to gauge their experiences. The basic message is that all of the power is concentrated in the hands of professors.

Yet, for a variety of reasons, many professors have empowered their "student partners" and highly value their judgments. For instance, some professors have been known to negotiate with students to come to a consensus on which students will be admitted. Others are said to have ignored the student input. It's a toss-up dependent on the whims of the current crop of faculty members.

But I will add this--students on the committee are less likely to look at numbers and more willing to look at the whole application. After all, the Director of Admissions would have immediately rejected the candidates if he deemed the numbers too low. Thus, when interviewing, I looked for student members who would consider everything BUT the numbers.


So what does that look like on the status checker?

Something like:
Complete
UR
FR

I'm currently under review so that's one of the reasons I am asking... also because it is good to know :)

ETA: I submitted my application and went to under review on the next day (skipped complete). Is this good? Or fairly par for the course?
Last edited by lemons on Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bloomingtea
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:35 am

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby bloomingtea » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:18 pm

You'll receive an email saying that you've passed the administrative review and your application will proceed with faculty review. On the status checker it will also say Under Review, but on top of the page it will say Faculty Review or something like that.

Faculty Review One (FR1) applicants received notice back in January; a second batch of FR applicants (FR2) will usually receive notice this month around the time FR1 applicants hear back. It is possible to be deferred from FR1 to FR2. This is all info I parsed from previous threads, so don't hold it against me if anything's wrong :X.

User avatar
lemons
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: UC Berkeley c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby lemons » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:24 pm

bloomingtea wrote:You'll receive an email saying that you've passed the administrative review and your application will proceed with faculty review. On the status checker it will also say Under Review, but on top of the page it will say Faculty Review or something like that.

Faculty Review One (FR1) applicants received notice back in January; a second batch of FR applicants (FR2) will usually receive notice this month around the time FR1 applicants hear back. It is possible to be deferred from FR1 to FR2. This is all info I parsed from previous threads, so don't hold it against me if anything's wrong :X.


thanks bloomingtea! that's exactly the info i was looking for :mrgreen: i also just found the "what to expect when you're expecting" thread which basically confirms what you wrote.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”