Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LochnerMonster

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby LochnerMonster » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:32 pm

Good luck to all of you who are still procrastinating on your 250! I didn't start mine until around February 26, and today I'm studying for my Civ Pro exam in New Haven.

politics89

Postby politics89 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:38 pm

neprep wrote:
politics89 wrote:So I submitted this week!

Does Yale not even have a status checker? Are they that much of a black box? 'Cause the What to Expect thread had nada info.

Asha Rangappa, YLS Associate Dean / Former G-(Wo)man wrote:As some of you start getting antsy awaiting a decision as the end of admissions season approaches, you might have read my first BIJ post from last year, which exhorted you not to call or write to check on your status. I was admittedly grumpy in my second trimester (perpetual nausea will do that to you), and while most of you appreciated, and even found solace in, my tongue-in-cheek humor, it's probably worthwhile giving a more lucid explanation for why status checks don't jive with our admissions process.

Simply put, we only have two statuses (statii?) for applicants: Under Review and [insert your final decision here]. I've detailed how our admissions process works elsewhere, but suffice it to say that if you haven't heard from us, your file is in the pipeline somewhere, being read by someone (a.k.a. Under Review). We can't give more detail than that, so a call or email really just results in frustration for all parties involved since we don't have much to tell you.

That being said, there are plenty of schools whose application-assessment processes don't jive with status checkers and update them perhaps once in the entire cycle (Columbia, UVA, Stanford, and so on), but still provide the tool to placate the neurotics.

Thanks lots!

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:28 pm

For people that have completed (or are in the process of completing) the app, how long is your attachment about college activities (and post-college employment)? For the college activities, I'm assuming sections a, b, and c, are all in one document?

politics89

Postby politics89 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:59 pm

wtrc wrote:For people that have completed (or are in the process of completing) the app, how long is your attachment about college activities (and post-college employment)? For the college activities, I'm assuming sections a, b, and c, are all in one document?

Mine was a page singe spaced. I just took my resume sections that were applicable for a and expanded on them a bit and then answered b and c in a few sentences (but I didn't have all that much work experience, and none of it was paid so it could have gone longer).

Edit: post college was also a page, single spaced. I did the same thing like in a
Last edited by politics89 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:15 pm

LochnerMonster wrote:Good luck to all of you who are still procrastinating on your 250! I didn't start mine until around February 26, and today I'm studying for my Civ Pro exam in New Haven.

Can you confirm if this is real?

That's why I chose Yale https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tGn3-RW8A ... e=m-ch-fea
:lol:

LochnerMonster

Postby LochnerMonster » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:59 pm

Black_Swan wrote:
LochnerMonster wrote:Good luck to all of you who are still procrastinating on your 250! I didn't start mine until around February 26, and today I'm studying for my Civ Pro exam in New Haven.

Yes, it's true that we communicate here in song.

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:08 pm

LochnerMonster wrote:
Black_Swan wrote:

Yes, it's true that we communicate here in song.

Sounds good to me!!! :mrgreen:

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:42 pm

Probably should've procrastinated on mine.

milkandcheerios

Postby milkandcheerios » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:57 pm

as if i needed any more excuses to justify my procrastination :cry:

good luck on your exams though!

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:10 am

Yale doesn't provide a status checker, correct? This is probably a good thing though, because I don't have to obsess about it every day.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:29 am

Black_Swan wrote:

hey thanks it's been awhile since that was stuck in my head

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:08 pm

I failed at working on it this weekend. Your comment makes me feel a little better.

cway

Postby cway » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:09 pm

Is it strange that no one has heard since before Christmas? On last year's thread, it looks like they had calls as early as Jan 3.

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:19 pm

cway wrote:Is it strange that no one has heard since before Christmas? On last year's thread, it looks like they had calls as early as Jan 3.

It almost seems like they are saving up for a big-ish (that is, big in Yale terms) wave of acceptances, which sounds nothing like Yale, so...yeah, I think it is at least a little weird.

Maybe this goes back to LS22's theory of fewer well-qualified applicants but then again as everything is graded relatively in the Yale admissions process that shouldn't matter.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:23 pm

The-Specs wrote:
cway wrote:Is it strange that no one has heard since before Christmas? On last year's thread, it looks like they had calls as early as Jan 3.

It almost seems like they are saving up for a big-ish (that is, big in Yale terms) wave of acceptances, which sounds nothing like Yale, so...yeah, I think it is at least a little weird.

Maybe this goes back to LS22's theory of fewer well-qualified applicants but then again as everything is graded relatively in the Yale admissions process that shouldn't matter.

I thought the Yale scores were absolute, not relative to other applicants. If profs are giving out fewer 4s, there would be fewer early acceptances.

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:30 pm

midwest17 wrote:
The-Specs wrote:

I thought the Yale scores were absolute, not relative to other applicants. If profs are giving out fewer 4s, there would be fewer early acceptances.

My understanding was that the professor received 60 applications and graded them in thirds: Top third gets 4s, middle third 3s, bottom third 2s.

I hope you are right though, I think that would increase my chances.

Postby 04102014 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:32 pm

I'd be honored just to get to the grading stage.

bbkk

Postby bbkk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:03 pm

The-Specs wrote:My understanding was that the professor received 60 applications and graded them in thirds: Top third gets 4s, middle third 3s, bottom third 2s.

From the blog:

Asha wrote:We are very fortunate to have many more people who fit the above criteria than we have room for in the incoming class. To this end, I send about 25% of our applicant pool -- close to 1,000 files -- to our faculty "Committees." At this stage, each application is sent, in a stack of about 50 files, to three faculty readers. Each faculty member uses his or her own criteria to rate each file on a scale of 2-4, with 4 being the highest. Each faculty member reads independently -- that is, the faculty member does not know who the other two readers of the file will be and so there is no discussion of the files with other people --and his or her scores are kept confidential from the other readers.
Once the application is circulated through the three readers, we add up the scores in the Admissions Office. All applicants who receive a 12 (straight 4s) and most who receive an 11 (two 4s and a 3) are admitted.

Sounds like absolute to me.

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:05 pm

midwest17 wrote:
The-Specs wrote:

I take it back, I just read through the admissions blog again and it is not (at least not explicitly) a relative process. The professor can assign as any 2s, 3s, or 4s as he or she wants.

My bad.

ETA: Scooped

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:07 pm

bbkk wrote:
The-Specs wrote:My understanding was that the professor received 60 applications and graded them in thirds: Top third gets 4s, middle third 3s, bottom third 2s.

From the blog:

Asha wrote:We are very fortunate to have many more people who fit the above criteria than we have room for in the incoming class. To this end, I send about 25% of our applicant pool -- close to 1,000 files -- to our faculty "Committees." At this stage, each application is sent, in a stack of about 50 files, to three faculty readers. Each faculty member uses his or her own criteria to rate each file on a scale of 2-4, with 4 being the highest. Each faculty member reads independently -- that is, the faculty member does not know who the other two readers of the file will be and so there is no discussion of the files with other people --and his or her scores are kept confidential from the other readers.
Once the application is circulated through the three readers, we add up the scores in the Admissions Office. All applicants who receive a 12 (straight 4s) and most who receive an 11 (two 4s and a 3) are admitted.

From an info session with Asha, I remember her saying that she puts restrictions on the number of 4s, 3s and 2s that can be given for each group of apps that the professors receive.

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:32 pm

lastsamurai wrote:
bbkk wrote:

From the blog:

From an info session with Asha, I remember her saying that she puts restrictions on the number of 4s, 3s and 2s that can be given for each group of apps that the professors receive.

So, it is some kind of hybrid then? I bet those restictions make for some intersting deliberations,

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:51 pm

lastsamurai wrote:
bbkk wrote:

From the blog:

Huh, that's interesting, thanks!

I guess it's kind of necessary, to impose some degree of uniformity on the process, but it's definitely not clear from the blog post quoted above (which was what I read a while ago and was basing my recollection on).

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:10 am

2500th post. maybe this means I'll start my 250 at some point.

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:57 am

Anyone here went complete? What's the timeline between submission and going complete? And what happens after that? Does Yale do a phone interview?

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:58 am

Mine took 10 days or so to go complete. You won't hear anything afterward until a decision

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”