Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
jdapplicant wrote:
The-Specs wrote:I have been thinking about it a lot lately, I think the initial shock of getting into HLS when I wasn't expecting to really threw my focus, but I am positive that if I got into Yale I would go. In my mind Yale is almost to Harvard what Harvard is to CCN.

That being said, I don't expect to get into Yale but I just felt the need to say it (or to post it I guess).

Have a great weekend everyone. :)



I think the difference between Yale and Harvard is small enough that differences in academic programs, campus culture, location, etc should weigh heavily into your consideration. This would especially be the case if you are looking at a joint degree (especially JD/MBA, JD/PHD). There are a lot more people that choose Harvard over Yale than any individual CCN over Harvard, so I think the comparison might be farther off than you speculated. Anyway, congrats on your acceptance into Harvard and I'm sure you are a very competitive candidate for Yale!


This is mathematically improbable. I would in fact dare say it's mathematically impossible.


Yea.. I think probably no more than 10, 15 at MOST people in any given year go to Harvard over Yale. I can see more people choosing SLS over Yale who want to practice in California. But for those ppl going to school in new England anyway, I just dont see it - Yale's yield is absolutely ridiculous, and the few who turn down YLS are spread over HS and full ride schollies elsewhere.

Now is it mathematically "possible" that in a given year, 15 ppl choose H over Y and only 14 choose CLS or NYU over H? (I buy it more for Chicago, since they are a tiny class size). Sure, but yea unlikely.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby The-Specs » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:15 pm

chizzy wrote:just went through previous threads and noticed a trend in admits receiving calls. they usually started calling around december 9th. could we possibly expect the first wave of admits this week too?


My bet is that the first round of decsions will start to trickle in sometime next week but I would love to be wrong. :)

User avatar
midnight_circus
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby midnight_circus » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:34 am

Went for it and submitted today. To whomever coined the term "Yale Mary": I feel that.
Here goes nothing. :)

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby The-Specs » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:15 am

midnight_circus wrote:Went for it and submitted today. To whomever coined the term "Yale Mary": I feel that.
Here goes nothing. :)


If the stats in your profile are accurate it looks like you have a better shot than me. Congrats on taking the leap of faith with the rest of us and good luck. :)

ETA: Plus you're a URM? I am not even worried for you, you are going to do great.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:06 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
jdapplicant wrote:
The-Specs wrote:I have been thinking about it a lot lately, I think the initial shock of getting into HLS when I wasn't expecting to really threw my focus, but I am positive that if I got into Yale I would go. In my mind Yale is almost to Harvard what Harvard is to CCN.

That being said, I don't expect to get into Yale but I just felt the need to say it (or to post it I guess).

Have a great weekend everyone. :)



I think the difference between Yale and Harvard is small enough that differences in academic programs, campus culture, location, etc should weigh heavily into your consideration. This would especially be the case if you are looking at a joint degree (especially JD/MBA, JD/PHD). There are a lot more people that choose Harvard over Yale than any individual CCN over Harvard, so I think the comparison might be farther off than you speculated. Anyway, congrats on your acceptance into Harvard and I'm sure you are a very competitive candidate for Yale!


This is mathematically improbable. I would in fact dare say it's mathematically impossible.


Yea.. I think probably no more than 10, 15 at MOST people in any given year go to Harvard over Yale. I can see more people choosing SLS over Yale who want to practice in California. But for those ppl going to school in new England anyway, I just dont see it - Yale's yield is absolutely ridiculous, and the few who turn down YLS are spread over HS and full ride schollies elsewhere.

Now is it mathematically "possible" that in a given year, 15 ppl choose H over Y and only 14 choose CLS or NYU over H? (I buy it more for Chicago, since they are a tiny class size). Sure, but yea unlikely.


Yep. SLS does the best head-to-head against YLS of any school, both in percentage and absolute numbers.

User avatar
crazyrobin
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:52 am

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby crazyrobin » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:15 am

The-Specs wrote:If the stats in your profile are accurate it looks like you have a better shot than me. Congrats on taking the leap of faith with the rest of us and good luck. :)

ETA: Plus you're a URM? I am not even worried for you, you are going to do great.


I don't think 1 or 2 point(s) on LSAT matters; as far as you are above median, I think you are good.
Remember it's Yale. They reject applicants with perfect number ALL THE TIME.

User avatar
crazyrobin
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:52 am

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby crazyrobin » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:16 am

Ti Malice wrote:Yep. SLS does the best head-to-head against YLS of any school, both in percentage and absolute numbers.


Mr. TM,

Do you know when Yale is going to make the first acceptance call?

User avatar
midnight_circus
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby midnight_circus » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:25 am

crazyrobin wrote:
The-Specs wrote:If the stats in your profile are accurate it looks like you have a better shot than me. Congrats on taking the leap of faith with the rest of us and good luck. :)

ETA: Plus you're a URM? I am not even worried for you, you are going to do great.


I don't think 1 or 2 point(s) on LSAT matters; as far as you are above median, I think you are good.
Remember it's Yale. They reject applicants with perfect number ALL THE TIME.


Truth. We aren't special, they are. :D

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:03 pm

crazyrobin wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:Yep. SLS does the best head-to-head against YLS of any school, both in percentage and absolute numbers.


Mr. TM,

Do you know when Yale is going to make the first acceptance call?


No idea, but I'd say imminently for early applicants, if history is any indication.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby The-Specs » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
crazyrobin wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:Yep. SLS does the best head-to-head against YLS of any school, both in percentage and absolute numbers.


Mr. TM,

Do you know when Yale is going to make the first acceptance call?


No idea, but I'd say imminently for early applicants, if history is any indication.


Like next week, right? When I read last year's thread I think they said the year before (Class of 2015) the first round came out the week before Christmas and last year (Class of 2016) followed suit.

If that is the case, is it possible that anyone get in this early from the faculty review, or at this point will it be all "Asha's Auto-Admits"?

User avatar
stephenholder
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby stephenholder » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
za51 wrote:What's the deal with the post-college activities section? Should it be a whole page? A few short paragraphs? Should it be a story or a cover letter?


You should read every post on the (203) blog. Asha covers this.


I have the same question and--in our defense--I don't think Asha covers it. Her post on technical matters covers the in-college questions but not the post-college questions. It's possible that I missed another relevant post.

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... tters.aspx

I think the best guess is that "it just needs to be readable," but the post-college prompt asks you to "describe" your experiences, which seems to call for a narrative. FWIW I think I'll answer both questions the same way (resume-like, with "short narratives" where appropriate), unless someone has good reason to proceed differently. I don't know if anyone wants to read a novella about the 7+ years I've been out of school.

cway
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby cway » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:19 pm

Is it just me, or should the calls have started to trickle in by now? At least judging by the last couple of years...

This thread is too quiet!

User avatar
stephenholder
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby stephenholder » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:25 pm

stephenholder wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
za51 wrote:What's the deal with the post-college activities section? Should it be a whole page? A few short paragraphs? Should it be a story or a cover letter?


You should read every post on the (203) blog. Asha covers this.


I have the same question and--in our defense--I don't think Asha covers it. Her post on technical matters covers the in-college questions but not the post-college questions. It's possible that I missed another relevant post.

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... tters.aspx

I think the best guess is that "it just needs to be readable," but the post-college prompt asks you to "describe" your experiences, which seems to call for a narrative. FWIW I think I'll answer both questions the same way (resume-like, with "short narratives" where appropriate), unless someone has good reason to proceed differently. I don't know if anyone wants to read a novella about the 7+ years I've been out of school.


I posted the question to the 203 Blog and Sue kindly responded (in the comments):

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... tters.aspx

User avatar
August Wilson
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby August Wilson » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:36 pm

stephenholder wrote:
stephenholder wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
za51 wrote:What's the deal with the post-college activities section? Should it be a whole page? A few short paragraphs? Should it be a story or a cover letter?


You should read every post on the (203) blog. Asha covers this.


I have the same question and--in our defense--I don't think Asha covers it. Her post on technical matters covers the in-college questions but not the post-college questions. It's possible that I missed another relevant post.

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... tters.aspx

I think the best guess is that "it just needs to be readable," but the post-college prompt asks you to "describe" your experiences, which seems to call for a narrative. FWIW I think I'll answer both questions the same way (resume-like, with "short narratives" where appropriate), unless someone has good reason to proceed differently. I don't know if anyone wants to read a novella about the 7+ years I've been out of school.


I posted the question to the 203 Blog and Sue kindly responded (in the comments):

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... tters.aspx


Biggest take away from that comment section: Asha reads tls... Did everyone know this already? Am I just late?

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2064
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby t-14orbust » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:38 pm

August Wilson wrote:Biggest take away from that comment section: Asha reads tls... Did everyone know this already? Am I just late?


lol where have you been? She was an FBI agent and I believe her husband is currently one. She probably knows everything about each of us already

User avatar
August Wilson
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby August Wilson » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:50 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
August Wilson wrote:Biggest take away from that comment section: Asha reads tls... Did everyone know this already? Am I just late?


lol where have you been? She was an FBI agent and I believe her husband is currently one. She probably knows everything about each of us already


Look at my post count, dude. I've missed out on a lot. lol

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2064
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby t-14orbust » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:51 pm

August Wilson wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
August Wilson wrote:Biggest take away from that comment section: Asha reads tls... Did everyone know this already? Am I just late?


lol where have you been? She was an FBI agent and I believe her husband is currently one. She probably knows everything about each of us already


Look at my post count, dude. I've missed out on a lot. lol


you're probably better off that way hahaha

cway
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby cway » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:52 pm

HEY GUYS:

@ylsadmissions Some people won't have to wait until tonight's Mega Millions drawing to beat the odds. First admit calls of the season tonight!

User avatar
lastsamurai
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lastsamurai » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:56 pm

cway wrote:HEY GUYS:

@ylsadmissions Some people won't have to wait until tonight's Mega Millions drawing to beat the odds. First admit calls of the season tonight!


I think I like my chances better with Mega Millions...

cway
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby cway » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:58 pm

lastsamurai wrote:
cway wrote:HEY GUYS:

@ylsadmissions Some people won't have to wait until tonight's Mega Millions drawing to beat the odds. First admit calls of the season tonight!


I think I like my chances better with Mega Millions...


LOL! The fact that they even compared the two is pretty funny.

chizzy
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:07 am

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby chizzy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:03 pm

.
Last edited by chizzy on Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
heythatslife
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby heythatslife » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:11 pm

cway wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:
cway wrote:HEY GUYS:

@ylsadmissions Some people won't have to wait until tonight's Mega Millions drawing to beat the odds. First admit calls of the season tonight!


I think I like my chances better with Mega Millions...


LOL! The fact that they even compared the two is pretty funny.

Yeah, I mean, at least I have a shot at the lottery as long as I buy a ticket

User avatar
graphia
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:00 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby graphia » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:37 pm

.
Last edited by graphia on Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anubis1911
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 12:41 am

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby anubis1911 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:39 pm

heythatslife wrote:
cway wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:
cway wrote:HEY GUYS:

@ylsadmissions Some people won't have to wait until tonight's Mega Millions drawing to beat the odds. First admit calls of the season tonight!


I think I like my chances better with Mega Millions...


LOL! The fact that they even compared the two is pretty funny.

Yeah, I mean, at least I have a shot at the lottery as long as I buy a ticket


One has the odds of 290,000,000 to 1 the other is YLS

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby paglababa » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:08 pm

Um wait, so Y has started reviewing applications yet? I thought there was no advantage to applying early?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cd1945, cyclawps, Leahmealone, Snowjon and 20 guests