Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dreamerchic19

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby dreamerchic19 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:12 pm

ylsanon wrote:If anyone is curious, I am a YLS student and the admissions office recently told me that they have only admitted about half of the class so far.

thanks for sharing this! gives me hope

radikal_eyes

Postby radikal_eyes » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:12 pm

ylsanon wrote:If anyone is curious, I am a YLS student and the admissions office recently told me that they have only admitted about half of the class so far.

:D

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:16 pm

iiiiinteresting.

milkandcheerios

Postby milkandcheerios » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:25 pm

not to rain on anyones parade, I just don't want to get my hopes up too much, but isn't this fairly standard? I always thought there was a HUGE ding/acceptance wave in late march/early april and then then the wait list gets released a couple weeks later.

andapieceoftoast

Postby andapieceoftoast » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:02 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:

not to rain on anyones parade, I just don't want to get my hopes up too much, but isn't this fairly standard? I always thought there was a HUGE ding/acceptance wave in late march/early april and then then the wait list gets released a couple weeks later.

This is a good point, but I think (at least in my case) people might have been worried that there was just a small acceptance wave and a HUGE ding wave upon us. Now that we know that only half of the class has been admitted, we can keep the small candle (or in my case, half-burned down match) of hope alive.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:03 pm

I just want to say I really like seeing MilkAndCheerios get into a discussion with APieceofToast.

andapieceoftoast

Postby andapieceoftoast » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:05 pm

wtrc wrote:I just want to say I really like seeing MilkAndCheerios get into a discussion with APieceofToast.

Breakfast Bros (TM)

whippersnappery

Postby whippersnappery » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:07 pm

andapieceoftoast wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:

This is a good point, but I think (at least in my case) people might have been worried that there was just a small acceptance wave and a HUGE ding wave upon us. Now that we know that only half of the class has been admitted, we can keep the small candle (or in my case, half-burned down match) of hope alive.

I'm right there with you. Looking at LSN data from last year (--LinkRemoved--), I'm guessing we'll see the big ding wave next week, with a smattering of dings, admits, and a solid number of waitlists within the two weeks after that.

milkandcheerios

Postby milkandcheerios » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:11 pm

wtrc wrote:I just want to say I really like seeing MilkAndCheerios get into a discussion with APieceofToast.

Mmm. Gotta get those breakfast carbs so you have the energy to refresh your inbox all day :lol:

TripleCheck

Postby TripleCheck » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:14 pm

This would probably be unwarranted but I am not your typical applicant that would be accepted to Yale. After reviewing my materials I feel I could write a letter explaining myself a bit better, developing on government work experience, unusual (but not outrageous or illness related) hardships that I have overcome and my plans with the law industry.

Does anybody know if they take these things in a positive light or should I patiently await my ding? If I'm expecting a rejection I can't see how it'd hurt but I'd like insight on others experience if somebody has input to contribute. :)

vuthy

Postby vuthy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:19 pm

TripleCheck wrote:This would probably be unwarranted but I am not your typical applicant that would be accepted to Yale. After reviewing my materials I feel I could write a letter explaining myself a bit better, developing on government work experience, unusual (but not outrageous or illness related) hardships that I have overcome and my plans with the law industry.

Does anybody know if they take these things in a positive light or should I patiently await my ding? If I'm expecting a rejection I can't see how it'd hurt but I'd like insight on others experience if somebody has input to contribute. :)

Do you mean as an addendum to your already-submitted materials? Others may disagree, but I would probably counsel against it on the grounds that it does two negative things: (1) draws attention to the fact that your original materials were not top notch, either in terms of content or presentation, and (2) makes you appear indecisive or disorganized. I'm not saying either of these are true, but I'd be worried about the perception.

hibye

Postby hibye » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:19 pm

I'd say probably a little more than half has been admitted. ~140 on the facebook group I think, and 235 new offers were made last year, which makes about 60% of the class filled.
Of course there's always error for other factors, including the fact that the facebook group probably also includes deferred students, and that not all admitted students will have facebook accounts.

kershka

Postby kershka » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:21 pm

We're all very glad to hear that :D

And congrats winstonsalem! Hopefully more calls will continue to come to the TLS crowd.

TripleCheck

Postby TripleCheck » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:43 pm

vuthy wrote:
TripleCheck wrote:This would probably be unwarranted but I am not your typical applicant that would be accepted to Yale. After reviewing my materials I feel I could write a letter explaining myself a bit better, developing on government work experience, unusual (but not outrageous or illness related) hardships that I have overcome and my plans with the law industry.

Do you mean as an addendum to your already-submitted materials? Others may disagree, but I would probably counsel against it on the grounds that it does two negative things: (1) draws attention to the fact that your original materials were not top notch, either in terms of content or presentation, and (2) makes you appear indecisive or disorganized. I'm not saying either of these are true, but I'd be worried about the perception.

I did not speak of obstacles, primarily, but some of my friends told me I should have wrote about my struggle regarding homelessness and how I overcame it, which combined with my current employment is a large contribution to my desire to pursue public interest law. But because I didn't view the obstacle as sufficient enough to include. Just a thought. I read that obstacles should not be included unless it's significant such as overcoming cancer, URM related, etc. I'm probably just over analyzing things.

andapieceoftoast

Postby andapieceoftoast » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:52 pm

TripleCheck wrote:
vuthy wrote:

I did not speak of obstacles, primarily, but some of my friends told me I should have wrote about my struggle regarding homelessness and how I overcame it, which combined with my current employment is a large contribution to my desire to pursue public interest law. But because I didn't view the obstacle as sufficient enough to include. Just a thought. I read that obstacles should not be included unless it's significant such as overcoming cancer, URM related, etc. I'm probably just over analyzing things.

Although under most circumstances, I would agree with vuthy, I think your situation is the kind of thing they want to read about. If you decide to tell your story, I would just write a short email saying that you hesitated to include it in your initial application, but feel that you have certain life experiences that truly shaped your decision to attend law school and you hope that they will take these circumstances into consideration when making their decision. I think if you set the right tone when you present this info, this could be really powerful. Best of luck to you -- you could be just the type of person Yale is looking for -- someone who's on track to change the world for the better!

legal-beagle

Postby legal-beagle » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:29 pm

hibye wrote:I'd say probably a little more than half has been admitted. ~140 on the facebook group I think, and 235 new offers were made last year, which makes about 60% of the class filled.
Of course there's always error for other factors, including the fact that the facebook group probably also includes deferred students, and that not all admitted students will have facebook accounts.

According to the Yale website, last year there were 195 accepted new offers and 247 enrolled, so there were 52 deferred in that 1L class. If that holds true this year, using the facebook numbers, less than 1/2 of new offers may have been made.

Has anyone made the permitted contact with YLS admissions about deadlines for scholarship acceptances at other law schools?

milkandcheerios

Postby milkandcheerios » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:39 pm

legal-beagle wrote:
hibye wrote:I'd say probably a little more than half has been admitted. ~140 on the facebook group I think, and 235 new offers were made last year, which makes about 60% of the class filled.

According to the Yale website, last year there were 195 accepted new offers and 247 enrolled, so there were 52 deferred in that 1L class. If that holds true this year, using the facebook numbers, less than 1/2 of new offers may have been made.

Has anyone made the permitted contact with YLS admissions about deadlines for scholarship acceptances at other law schools?

247 was the net admits. Only 199 matriculated so there were only 4 deferrals.

texasbama

Postby texasbama » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:27 pm

I applied with what must have been the most hilariously low GPA they have ever seen, accompanied by a laughable (for Yale) LSAT. I'm surprised they allowed my application payment to go through. I have no idea how I made it this far, though I hope my personal story struck a chord with Asha. I feel it is quite compelling. Good luck everyone! I am really rooting for everyone on this board!

KatyMarie

Postby KatyMarie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:29 pm

texasbama wrote:I applied with what must have been the most hilariously low GPA they have ever seen, accompanied by a laughable (for Yale) LSAT. I'm surprised they allowed my application payment to go through. I have no idea how I made it this far, though I hope my personal story struck a chord with Asha. I feel it is quite compelling. Good luck everyone! I am really rooting for everyone on this board!

Attax

Postby Attax » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:31 pm

texasbama wrote:I applied with what must have been the most hilariously low GPA they have ever seen, accompanied by a laughable (for Yale) LSAT. I'm surprised they allowed my application payment to go through. I have no idea how I made it this far, though I hope my personal story struck a chord with Asha. I feel it is quite compelling. Good luck everyone! I am really rooting for everyone on this board!

I feel like this is now a contest for worst stats :D

texasbama

Postby texasbama » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:40 pm

KatyMarie wrote:

[img]

http://i.imgur.com/Vcdulik.jpg

Attax

Postby Attax » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:21 pm

texasbama wrote:
KatyMarie wrote:

[img]

http://i.imgur.com/Vcdulik.jpg

Not like it would help. I bet after Snape's class even HP doesn't have the GPA for Yale.

Catherinelo365

Postby Catherinelo365 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:43 pm

winstonsalem wrote:I'm just as shocked as you guys at how fast the faculty review went.

My stats/softs are 3.59 from a service academy, 180 LSAT, and active military for the last 5 years (one deployment to Afghanistan). Best of luck to the rest of you guys waiting, the calls are going out!

Wow congrats! You totally deserve it.

politics89

Postby politics89 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:37 pm

Hoping bumping Yale off page 2 actually does count as a soft....

andapieceoftoast

Postby andapieceoftoast » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:51 pm

I feel like this may have been discussed (I think someone said that it only took a week for someone to get dinged last cycle), but does anyone know approx. how long it has taken for asha to auto-ding someone (i.e. not send to faculty review) and to notify them of that ding? I'm trying to figure out how long I should wait on egg shells for that auto-ding to come.

Apologies if this has already been discussed...my memory of these threads is shot

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”