Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Yale c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
jdapplicant wrote:
The-Specs wrote:I have been thinking about it a lot lately, I think the initial shock of getting into HLS when I wasn't expecting to really threw my focus, but I am positive that if I got into Yale I would go. In my mind Yale is almost to Harvard what Harvard is to CCN.

That being said, I don't expect to get into Yale but I just felt the need to say it (or to post it I guess).

Have a great weekend everyone. :)

I think the difference between Yale and Harvard is small enough that differences in academic programs, campus culture, location, etc should weigh heavily into your consideration. This would especially be the case if you are looking at a joint degree (especially JD/MBA, JD/PHD). There are a lot more people that choose Harvard over Yale than any individual CCN over Harvard, so I think the comparison might be farther off than you speculated. Anyway, congrats on your acceptance into Harvard and I'm sure you are a very competitive candidate for Yale!
This is mathematically improbable. I would in fact dare say it's mathematically impossible.
Yea.. I think probably no more than 10, 15 at MOST people in any given year go to Harvard over Yale. I can see more people choosing SLS over Yale who want to practice in California. But for those ppl going to school in new England anyway, I just dont see it - Yale's yield is absolutely ridiculous, and the few who turn down YLS are spread over HS and full ride schollies elsewhere.

Now is it mathematically "possible" that in a given year, 15 ppl choose H over Y and only 14 choose CLS or NYU over H? (I buy it more for Chicago, since they are a tiny class size). Sure, but yea unlikely.

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:15 pm

chizzy wrote:just went through previous threads and noticed a trend in admits receiving calls. they usually started calling around december 9th. could we possibly expect the first wave of admits this week too?
My bet is that the first round of decsions will start to trickle in sometime next week but I would love to be wrong. :)

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:34 am

Went for it and submitted today. To whomever coined the term "Yale Mary": I feel that.
Here goes nothing. :)

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:15 am

midnight_circus wrote:Went for it and submitted today. To whomever coined the term "Yale Mary": I feel that.
Here goes nothing. :)
If the stats in your profile are accurate it looks like you have a better shot than me. Congrats on taking the leap of faith with the rest of us and good luck. :)

ETA: Plus you're a URM? I am not even worried for you, you are going to do great.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:06 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
jdapplicant wrote:
The-Specs wrote:I have been thinking about it a lot lately, I think the initial shock of getting into HLS when I wasn't expecting to really threw my focus, but I am positive that if I got into Yale I would go. In my mind Yale is almost to Harvard what Harvard is to CCN.

That being said, I don't expect to get into Yale but I just felt the need to say it (or to post it I guess).

Have a great weekend everyone. :)

I think the difference between Yale and Harvard is small enough that differences in academic programs, campus culture, location, etc should weigh heavily into your consideration. This would especially be the case if you are looking at a joint degree (especially JD/MBA, JD/PHD). There are a lot more people that choose Harvard over Yale than any individual CCN over Harvard, so I think the comparison might be farther off than you speculated. Anyway, congrats on your acceptance into Harvard and I'm sure you are a very competitive candidate for Yale!
This is mathematically improbable. I would in fact dare say it's mathematically impossible.
Yea.. I think probably no more than 10, 15 at MOST people in any given year go to Harvard over Yale. I can see more people choosing SLS over Yale who want to practice in California. But for those ppl going to school in new England anyway, I just dont see it - Yale's yield is absolutely ridiculous, and the few who turn down YLS are spread over HS and full ride schollies elsewhere.

Now is it mathematically "possible" that in a given year, 15 ppl choose H over Y and only 14 choose CLS or NYU over H? (I buy it more for Chicago, since they are a tiny class size). Sure, but yea unlikely.
Yep. SLS does the best head-to-head against YLS of any school, both in percentage and absolute numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:15 am

The-Specs wrote: If the stats in your profile are accurate it looks like you have a better shot than me. Congrats on taking the leap of faith with the rest of us and good luck. :)

ETA: Plus you're a URM? I am not even worried for you, you are going to do great.
I don't think 1 or 2 point(s) on LSAT matters; as far as you are above median, I think you are good.
Remember it's Yale. They reject applicants with perfect number ALL THE TIME.

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:16 am

Ti Malice wrote: Yep. SLS does the best head-to-head against YLS of any school, both in percentage and absolute numbers.
Mr. TM,

Do you know when Yale is going to make the first acceptance call?

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:25 am

crazyrobin wrote:
The-Specs wrote: If the stats in your profile are accurate it looks like you have a better shot than me. Congrats on taking the leap of faith with the rest of us and good luck. :)

I don't think 1 or 2 point(s) on LSAT matters; as far as you are above median, I think you are good.
Remember it's Yale. They reject applicants with perfect number ALL THE TIME.
Truth. We aren't special, they are. :D

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:03 pm

crazyrobin wrote:
Ti Malice wrote: Yep. SLS does the best head-to-head against YLS of any school, both in percentage and absolute numbers.
Mr. TM,

No idea, but I'd say imminently for early applicants, if history is any indication.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
crazyrobin wrote:
Mr. TM,

No idea, but I'd say imminently for early applicants, if history is any indication.
Like next week, right? When I read last year's thread I think they said the year before (Class of 2015) the first round came out the week before Christmas and last year (Class of 2016) followed suit.

If that is the case, is it possible that anyone get in this early from the faculty review, or at this point will it be all "Asha's Auto-Admits"?

stephenholder

New

Post by stephenholder » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
za51 wrote:What's the deal with the post-college activities section? Should it be a whole page? A few short paragraphs? Should it be a story or a cover letter?
You should read every post on the (203) blog. Asha covers this.
I have the same question and--in our defense--I don't think Asha covers it. Her post on technical matters covers the in-college questions but not the post-college questions. It's possible that I missed another relevant post.

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... tters.aspx

I think the best guess is that "it just needs to be readable," but the post-college prompt asks you to "describe" your experiences, which seems to call for a narrative. FWIW I think I'll answer both questions the same way (resume-like, with "short narratives" where appropriate), unless someone has good reason to proceed differently. I don't know if anyone wants to read a novella about the 7+ years I've been out of school.

cway

Bronze

Post by cway » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:19 pm

Is it just me, or should the calls have started to trickle in by now? At least judging by the last couple of years...

This thread is too quiet!

stephenholder

New

Post by stephenholder » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:25 pm

stephenholder wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
za51 wrote:What's the deal with the post-college activities section? Should it be a whole page? A few short paragraphs? Should it be a story or a cover letter?
I have the same question and--in our defense--I don't think Asha covers it. Her post on technical matters covers the in-college questions but not the post-college questions. It's possible that I missed another relevant post.

I think the best guess is that "it just needs to be readable," but the post-college prompt asks you to "describe" your experiences, which seems to call for a narrative. FWIW I think I'll answer both questions the same way (resume-like, with "short narratives" where appropriate), unless someone has good reason to proceed differently. I don't know if anyone wants to read a novella about the 7+ years I've been out of school.
I posted the question to the 203 Blog and Sue kindly responded (in the comments):

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

August Wilson

Silver

Post by August Wilson » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:36 pm

stephenholder wrote:
stephenholder wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:

I posted the question to the 203 Blog and Sue kindly responded (in the comments):

Biggest take away from that comment section: Asha reads tls... Did everyone know this already? Am I just late?

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:38 pm

August Wilson wrote: Biggest take away from that comment section: Asha reads tls... Did everyone know this already? Am I just late?
lol where have you been? She was an FBI agent and I believe her husband is currently one. She probably knows everything about each of us already

August Wilson

Silver

Post by August Wilson » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:50 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
August Wilson wrote: Biggest take away from that comment section: Asha reads tls... Did everyone know this already? Am I just late?
lol where have you been? She was an FBI agent and I believe her husband is currently one. She probably knows everything about each of us already
Look at my post count, dude. I've missed out on a lot. lol

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:51 pm

August Wilson wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
Look at my post count, dude. I've missed out on a lot. lol
you're probably better off that way hahaha

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cway

Bronze

Post by cway » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:52 pm

HEY GUYS:

@ylsadmissions Some people won't have to wait until tonight's Mega Millions drawing to beat the odds. First admit calls of the season tonight!

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:56 pm

cway wrote:HEY GUYS:

@ylsadmissions Some people won't have to wait until tonight's Mega Millions drawing to beat the odds. First admit calls of the season tonight!
I think I like my chances better with Mega Millions...

cway

Bronze

Post by cway » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:58 pm

lastsamurai wrote:

LOL! The fact that they even compared the two is pretty funny.

chizzy

Silver

Post by chizzy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:03 pm

Last edited by chizzy on Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:11 pm

cway wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:

Yeah, I mean, at least I have a shot at the lottery as long as I buy a ticket

graphia

New

Post by graphia » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:37 pm

Last edited by graphia on Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anubis1911

Bronze

Post by anubis1911 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:39 pm

heythatslife wrote:
cway wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:

Yeah, I mean, at least I have a shot at the lottery as long as I buy a ticket
One has the odds of 290,000,000 to 1 the other is YLS

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:08 pm

Um wait, so Y has started reviewing applications yet? I thought there was no advantage to applying early?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”