Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
19%
Waitlisted
19%
Dinged D:
15%

Total votes: 325

esther0123

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby esther0123 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:58 pm

Gary wrote:
esther0123 wrote:Is there a consensus that there is a tendency for one interviewer to accept more candidates than another? Or is this another sign of neuroticism?

Some anecdotal evidence suggests yes :?

Such as...? who is the interviewer with greater acceptance tendency? and who is the interviewer with poor acceptance tendency?

Gary

Postby Gary » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:00 pm

esther0123 wrote:
Gary wrote:
esther0123 wrote:Is there a consensus that there is a tendency for one interviewer to accept more candidates than another? Or is this another sign of neuroticism?

Such as...? who is the interviewer with greater acceptance tendency? and who is the interviewer with poor acceptance tendency?

It's the word on the street, idk.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:01 pm

esther0123 wrote:
Gary wrote:

This isn't true. Take my word for it.

chicky

Postby chicky » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:02 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
esther0123 wrote:
Gary wrote:

ls22 reappears to lay down some truth! how ya been, guy?

Eta: so sorry about the dings!
Last edited by chicky on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barrelofmonkeys

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:03 pm

hellomellow wrote:Just got dinged.... 172/3.98... Js1 about a week and a half ago. Realy sad

:shock:

sorry :(

also crud

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:05 pm

hellomellow wrote:Just got dinged.... 172/3.98... Js1 about a week and a half ago. Realy sad

so sorry!

your cute lil piggy icon makes this even sadder...

Arrow4Christ

Postby Arrow4Christ » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:05 pm

I'm sorry! :(

Also... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Gary

Postby Gary » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:05 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
esther0123 wrote:
Gary wrote:

Yeah trust ls22, I was apparently going off of outdated info.

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:06 pm

Wow. So sorry :(.

Also, your cute avatar makes this even more sad...the baby piglet is just so earnest and hopeful.

eta: I see I was scooped by wealtheow on that last point.

NoDayButToday

Postby NoDayButToday » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:08 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:21 pm

So just two dings reported today?

hellomellow

Postby hellomellow » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:22 pm

koalacity wrote:

Also, your cute avatar makes this even more sad...the baby piglet is just so earnest and hopeful.

Thanks you guys. This really made me feel bad, especially because over 70% of those who interview get in...My interview wasn't solid and I didn't realize going into it that the interviewer hadn't read or looked at my application prior to us talking. So, I was trying not to be repetitive and about 8 minutes in she said she got the impression that I thought she had looked at the app and she hadn't. She asked a lot of questions that I felt were more steered towards why Harvard than about me, so I guess my interview wasn't good but I didn't feel it was representative of who I am and my application overall. I'm clearly being sad right now..sorry.

Does Harvard usually suggest to reapply or is the rejection letter simply "we had great applicants and you didn't make the cut."

jasper09

Postby jasper09 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:28 pm

Sorry to those who were dinged today- especially with such strong numbers (and cute avatars). Sending good juju your way for a fabulous rest of the cycle.

And hellomellow, that's tough- my interviewer also hadn't really read my application prior to the interview, but she at least told me that up front. :(

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:28 pm

hellomellow wrote:
koalacity wrote:

Thanks you guys. This really made me feel bad, especially because over 70% of those who interview get in...My interview wasn't solid and I didn't realize going into it that the interviewer hadn't read or looked at my application prior to us talking. So, I was trying not to be repetitive and about 8 minutes in she said she got the impression that I thought she had looked at the app and she hadn't. She asked a lot of questions that I felt were more steered towards why Harvard than about me, so I guess my interview wasn't good but I didn't feel it was representative of who I am and my application overall. I'm clearly being sad right now..sorry.

Does Harvard usually suggest to reapply or is the rejection letter simply "we had great applicants and you didn't make the cut."

Sorry to hear about your ding, especially after a JS1 :(

I looked over my rejection letter, no mention of reapplying, just the standard we have 12 billion applicants for 2 spots kind of stuff.

Gary

Postby Gary » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:30 pm

hellomellow wrote:
koalacity wrote:

So sorry hellomellow... It sucks how a 10 minute interview can offset years of past achievement :(

Quest4Knowledge

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:32 pm

:( :( :(

musharraf

Postby musharraf » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:33 pm

jasper09 wrote:Sorry to those who were dinged today- especially with such strong numbers (and cute avatars). Sending good juju your way for a fabulous rest of the cycle.

And hellomellow, that's tough- my interviewer also hadn't really read my application prior to the interview, but she at least told me that up front. :(

Yikes - a ding in those circumstances is really tough. I'm kind of surprised to hear your interviewers hadn't read your applications - my JS1 was 90% about my application, and I basically had to squeeze in Why Harvard information in the Q&A session at the end. It was a friendly conversation, which is what's letting me hold out hope for a JS2 despite my numbers, but definitely not what I prepared for.

chneyo

Postby chneyo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:34 pm

Last edited by chneyo on Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:38 pm

jasper09 wrote:And hellomellow, that's tough- my interviewer also hadn't really read my application prior to the interview, but she at least told me that up front. :(

Is this a common thing? My interviewer seemed to be fairly familiar with me.

bbkk

Postby bbkk » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:41 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
jasper09 wrote:And hellomellow, that's tough- my interviewer also hadn't really read my application prior to the interview, but she at least told me that up front. :(

I'm not too sure but i think it shouldn't be too common. My interviewer asked questions specific to my resume (she was holding it in front of her), and as musharraf said I had to squeeze in the Why Harvard info in some of my answers.

jasper09

Postby jasper09 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:45 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:

Not sure- I mean she'd obviously read my resume, as she asked me to explain what a couple of my job duties entailed, but otherwise all of the questions were focused around some aspect of "why Harvard."

I think it puts us in a difficult position as applicants because we presume we've received an interview after admissions has reviewed our application (which I don't think is entirely unreasonable given that the interview invitation begins "We have completed our review of your application...").

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:48 pm

Yeah, I can definitely see the challenge there.

My interviewer had knowledge of my PS, whether or not they had read it or just had notes, they were familiar with it. There were also questions about the resume and supplemental materials. I don't think I had hardly any elements of "Why Harvard?" in my interview, nor were they pressed for.

I think it would be interesting to see if the "tone" of the JS1 interview has changed from the early periods of the cycle to the present, or if its just interviewer variation.

bbkk

Postby bbkk » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:48 pm

jasper09 wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:

Not sure- I mean she'd obviously read my resume, as she asked me to explain what a couple of my job duties entailed, but otherwise all of the questions were focused around some aspect of "why Harvard."

I think it puts us in a difficult position as applicants because we presume we've received an interview after admissions has reviewed our application (which I don't think is entirely unreasonable given that the interview invitation begins "We have completed our review of your application...").

But it's also possible your interviewer is not the person who actually reviewed your application and decided to give you a JS1, right?

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:50 pm

musharraf wrote:
jasper09 wrote:Sorry to those who were dinged today- especially with such strong numbers (and cute avatars). Sending good juju your way for a fabulous rest of the cycle.

Yikes - a ding in those circumstances is really tough. I'm kind of surprised to hear your interviewers hadn't read your applications - my JS1 was 90% about my application, and I basically had to squeeze in Why Harvard information in the Q&A session at the end. It was a friendly conversation, which is what's letting me hold out hope for a JS2 despite my numbers, but definitely not what I prepared for.

this was my experience as well. no curveballs, none of those silly abstract "tell me about a time you pooped your pants" questions. hmm. weird. that would have definitely thrown me, if she hadn't read my app! it's short enough as is without having to provide a context for every response.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:51 pm

bbkk wrote:
jasper09 wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:

But it's also possible your interviewer is not the person who actually reviewed your application and decided to give you a JS1, right?

Oh yeah, definitely. I have no idea if the person who interviewed me had seen my application prior to that point. If they had not, they must have skimmed it though, because there were questions about my PS (& DS) that were far, far from generic. I guess I just didn't get the feel that they hadn't at the very least looked over my application enough to feel comfortable asking me non-standard questions, which seems to be the case for a couple people.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”