Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
38
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
1
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
64
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
7
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
43
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
62
19%
Waitlisted
61
19%
Dinged D:
49
15%
 
Total votes: 325

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby The-Specs » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:45 am

MA980 wrote:Per LSN, it looks like anyone who 1) applied early in the cycle and 2) has 3.6/174 or higher was an auto-admit this year.

If this is accurate (and please, correct me if I'm missing something), if I'm a February complete with a >3.7 GPA and >175 LSAT who gets waitlisted/rejected this cycle, does this mean I should undoubtedly sit out the cycle if I'm dead set on HLS?

I guess what I'm saying is, if I get rejected this year, can that almost entirely be attributed to my late-cycle application? If so I'd apply again in September next year, but if not, I would really prefer not to wait another year only to strikeout again.

Thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated (as I'm sure there are others like me). Thanks and good luck to all!


That sounds reasonable but the one caveat may be that the people applied earily also had something else in common, like WE or something like that. It is possible that was just the availability if seats early in the cycle but there is no guarantee. Also, there is no guarantee that next cycle will be like this cycle (see Columbia thread).

User avatar
teampeeta
Posts: 422
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby teampeeta » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:46 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
teampeeta wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
esther0123 wrote:Is everyone who's received an interview but has not received an offer automatically put on waitlist? is it possible to get rejected after interview?


It is possible, and has happened already this cycle.


I thought some people who had JS1s got dinged? So everyone who gets a JS1 but no JS2 isn't necessarily wait listed.


Which is exactly what I said.


Sorry, bom. RC fail on my part. I somehow thought your response was to esther's first question.

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:53 am

teampeeta wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
teampeeta wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
It is possible, and has happened already this cycle.


I thought some people who had JS1s got dinged? So everyone who gets a JS1 but no JS2 isn't necessarily wait listed.


Which is exactly what I said.


Sorry, bom. RC fail on my part. I somehow thought your response was to esther's first question.


On that topic, though, has there been any JS1-->WL? Or is it still just JS2s, dings, and unofficial holds following a JS1?

MA980
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:12 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby MA980 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:53 am

To FuriousDuck - Thanks for your response, and that makes a lot of sense. I'd undoubtedly feel bad about posting a red dot in the sea of green in the upper right hand corner, too.

Looking forward to the waiting game being over, at long last. Hang in there everyone!

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:56 am

SplitMyPants wrote:On that topic, though, has there been any JS1-->WL? Or is it still just JS2s, dings, and unofficial holds following a JS1?


There have been no waitlists yet.

dormgirl76
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:40 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby dormgirl76 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:39 pm

I'm sure this is somewhere in the past pages, but when are the admitted student days for Harvard?

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:45 pm

dormgirl76 wrote:I'm sure this is somewhere in the past pages, but when are the admitted student days for Harvard?


You might find this helpful in general:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=223854

User avatar
Word1
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Word1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:16 pm

Hey Guys,
I want to get some thoughts on when I'll hear back, regardless of whether it is positive or negative, at least I'll start sleeping again at night.
I have GPA near the 75th percentile from a top tier school, LSAT below 25th, but highly unique softs.
And, I applied late in the cycle (late January), which I'm sure doesn't bode well.

What do you guys think?

User avatar
supersonicfast
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:21 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby supersonicfast » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:21 pm

Word1 wrote:Hey Guys,
I want to get some thoughts on when I'll hear back, regardless of whether it is positive or negative, at least I'll start sleeping again at night.
I have GPA near the 75th percentile from a top tier school, LSAT below 25th, but highly unique softs.
And, I applied late in the cycle (late January), which I'm sure doesn't bode well.

What do you guys think?


Honestly, it doesn't matter what we think. It matters what the HLS adcom thinks. Just be patient.

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:23 pm

Word1 wrote:Hey Guys,
I want to get some thoughts on when I'll hear back, regardless of whether it is positive or negative, at least I'll start sleeping again at night.
I have GPA near the 75th percentile from a top tier school, LSAT below 25th, but highly unique softs.
And, I applied late in the cycle (late January), which I'm sure doesn't bode well.

What do you guys think?


Really nobody can offer you any advice.
You can look on LSN to see what has happened to people in your historical boat.

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Kimikho » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Word1 wrote:Hey Guys,
I want to get some thoughts on when I'll hear back, regardless of whether it is positive or negative, at least I'll start sleeping again at night.
I have GPA near the 75th percentile from a top tier school, LSAT below 25th, but highly unique softs.
And, I applied late in the cycle (late January), which I'm sure doesn't bode well.

What do you guys think?


if you haven't heard back tomorrow you aren't getting in, sorry friend.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:26 pm

scoobers wrote:
Word1 wrote:Hey Guys,
I want to get some thoughts on when I'll hear back, regardless of whether it is positive or negative, at least I'll start sleeping again at night.
I have GPA near the 75th percentile from a top tier school, LSAT below 25th, but highly unique softs.
And, I applied late in the cycle (late January), which I'm sure doesn't bode well.

What do you guys think?


if you haven't heard back tomorrow you aren't getting in, sorry friend.


Well aren't we feeling full of snark today :)

User avatar
chneyo
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby chneyo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:28 pm

...
Last edited by chneyo on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rseaney
Posts: 393
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby rseaney » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:41 pm

MA980 wrote:Per LSN, it looks like anyone who 1) applied early in the cycle and 2) has 3.6/174 or higher was an auto-admit this year.

If this is accurate (and please, correct me if I'm missing something), if I'm a February complete with a >3.7 GPA and >175 LSAT who gets waitlisted/rejected this cycle, does this mean I should undoubtedly sit out the cycle if I'm dead set on HLS?

I guess what I'm saying is, if I get rejected this year, can that almost entirely be attributed to my late-cycle application? If so I'd apply again in September next year, but if not, I would really prefer not to wait another year only to strikeout again.

Thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated (as I'm sure there are others like me). Thanks and good luck to all!


I'm slightly above those numbers and I haven't heard anything since my JS1, so I highly doubt that those are "auto-admit" numbers. But yes, if you don't get in this cycle, you'd have a great shot at getting in if you reapplied next year. That's my plan. Earlier ITT someone accepted this year said that his interviewer appreciated the commitment he demonstrated by reapplying, after not getting in last year.

User avatar
rseaney
Posts: 393
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby rseaney » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:42 pm

chneyo wrote:Just a quick shout out to the HLS thread! Looking forward to some more good news out of HLS for you all soon!


chneyo i just saw your tar's episode -- i was nottt prepared for that development haha

User avatar
OMAR_COMIN_YO
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby OMAR_COMIN_YO » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:49 pm

rseaney wrote:
chneyo wrote:Just a quick shout out to the HLS thread! Looking forward to some more good news out of HLS for you all soon!


chneyo i just saw your tar's episode -- i was nottt prepared for that development haha



I watched it at lunch at work and involuntarily screamed out into the office. Shit was real.

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:53 pm

OMAR_COMIN_YO wrote:
rseaney wrote:
chneyo wrote:Just a quick shout out to the HLS thread! Looking forward to some more good news out of HLS for you all soon!


chneyo i just saw your tar's episode -- i was nottt prepared for that development haha



I watched it at lunch at work and involuntarily screamed out into the office. Shit was real.


I've yet to watch it with someone who did not audibly and visually flip their shit.

User avatar
hellomellow
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:35 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby hellomellow » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:36 pm

....
Last edited by hellomellow on Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chneyo
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby chneyo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:15 pm

...
Last edited by chneyo on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Quest4Knowledge
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:53 pm

Is it safe to assume if decisions (JS1, JS2, dings) are going to be made this week, they would happen tomorrow rather than Friday? If the ASW is this weekend, feels like they would be preoccupied on Friday.

User avatar
MrMileyCyrus
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby MrMileyCyrus » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:00 pm

Quest4Knowledge wrote:Is it safe to assume if decisions (JS1, JS2, dings) are going to be made this week, they would happen tomorrow rather than Friday? If the ASW is this weekend, feels like they would be preoccupied on Friday.


I am of the opinion that there won't be any decisions this week because of ASW. I would assume they would delay decisions to avoid the awkwardness of admitting someone the day ASW begins.

This, however, is completely baseless and I have no real reason to say this other than that's what I would do if I was in the HLS admissions office. This makes my statement as useful as people who try to derive patterns out of LSN admit dates this cycle. (jk, I love y'all neuroticism <3)

User avatar
Quest4Knowledge
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:08 pm

MrMileyCyrus wrote:
Quest4Knowledge wrote:Is it safe to assume if decisions (JS1, JS2, dings) are going to be made this week, they would happen tomorrow rather than Friday? If the ASW is this weekend, feels like they would be preoccupied on Friday.


I am of the opinion that there won't be any decisions this week because of ASW. I would assume they would delay decisions to avoid the awkwardness of admitting someone the day ASW begins.

This, however, is completely baseless and I have no real reason to say this other than that's what I would do if I was in the HLS admissions office. This makes my statement as useful as people who try to derive patterns out of LSN admit dates this cycle. (jk, I love y'all neuroticism <3)

Hahaha fair enough :P

I can see where you're coming from, it makes sense that they would delay it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe last year they did admit people the week before ASW (although it might have been a Monday/Tuesday type of thing)

esther0123
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:40 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby esther0123 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:27 pm

This might have already been asked but does anyone know how much % of interviewed applicants receive an offer?

User avatar
Quest4Knowledge
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:29 pm

esther0123 wrote:This might have already been asked but does anyone know how much % of interviewed applicants receive an offer?

~850/1200 = ~70%

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:32 pm

Quest4Knowledge wrote:
esther0123 wrote:This might have already been asked but does anyone know how much % of interviewed applicants receive an offer?

~850/1200 = ~70%


I know it's been said, but to reiterate for esther and whomever else, that 850 includes those who go JS1-->WL-->JS2.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bleakchimera2, ellielaw, Google Adsense [Bot], l3g@l33s3, margaretmitchell, MSNbot Media, ThorB, vcap180 and 25 guests