Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
38
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
1
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
64
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
7
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
43
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
62
19%
Waitlisted
61
19%
Dinged D:
49
15%
 
Total votes: 325

User avatar
pseu
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby pseu » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:40 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:For those of you who have looked into this sort of history on TLS:

Among candidates that in the past were designated as "held," was there a typical outcome for the group (eg. many more were wait-listed on average) or did it seem to mirror the decision spread of the rest of the applicant pool?

I'm currently reading through the "held" thread from last year, but just wondering if anyone knows off-hand. Folks weren't always consistent about updating the spreadsheets last year with their outcomes and, as we've established many times before, TLS is almost certainly not representative anyway...but I'm curious, regardless.


I would like to know this as well, though the application deadline pushback might be a game changer. I would think that we will see more acceptances from the held group than in previous years when it was actually a category, because I am imagining a pile of apps that are the "likely admits, but we need the Feb LSAT people's apps first". Then again, the Feb people could be better applicants than expected and just send that whole pile in the garbage, so I'm probably just thinking optimistically.

My point being, I think it was largely WL/ding before (though I'd like to see numbers), but I think this year could be very different because of the changed deadline.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby drawstring » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:53 pm

I believe that last year or the year before there were huge amounts of people held, many with totally uncompetitive stats, so obviously a large proportion of the the held group didn't get in. Maybe they've been more decisive this year, but the pushed back deadline should mean more competition for those held, though I suspect the Feb LSAT applicant pool won't be too large for this cycle.

Soon we'll be at the point where applicants are guaranteed a decision within a month, and I hope the held files get considered again before that time rather than just put straight on the waitlist where adcoms can still consider them while claiming that they've made a decision. The Feb LSAT may not come out until the 3rd or so, those files will probably take a week to go complete, interview requests and occurrences will probably take another 2/3 weeks or so, and I'm not sure how much time the admissions people will have to go through the holds and compare them to the full applicant pool, like JS has said they will do.

I suspect most of the long waiters with JS1s are waitlist bound. Traditionally there has been a fair number of waitlist acceptances, though I believe others have noted that HLS wants to reduce that figure.

User avatar
Quest4Knowledge
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:01 pm

drawstring wrote:Soon we'll be at the point where applicants are guaranteed a decision within a month, and I hope the held files get considered again before that time rather than just put straight on the waitlist where adcoms can still consider them while claiming that they've made a decision. The Feb LSAT may not come out until the 3rd or so, those files will probably take a week to go complete, interview requests and occurrences will probably take another 2/3 weeks or so, and I'm not sure how much time the admissions people will have to go through the holds and compare them to the full applicant pool, like JS has said they will do.


Tbh I think it will take longer than a week for those files to go complete. I read though the thread last year and people who submitted the last few days before the deadline took up until mid-March to be complete. I don't think it will be as bad (6 weeks) this year because of the extended deadline kind of diluting the late applications, but I think we're looking at beginning of April for them to go through the held in practice applicants with the full applicant pool.

Eta: I realize now you might have meant those who have applied but are not complete because they're waiting for their Feb LSAT score. What you said makes sense then, my bad, carry on... :P

manu6926
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:05 pm

...

Postby manu6926 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:43 pm

...
Last edited by manu6926 on Sun May 25, 2014 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby drawstring » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:44 pm

A lot of people have felt good and a lot haven't, though it seems like nearly everyone who reports interviewing with JS feels good about it.

manu6926
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:05 pm

...

Postby manu6926 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:52 pm

...
Last edited by manu6926 on Sun May 25, 2014 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
bbkk
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby bbkk » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:55 pm

jy9626 wrote:
drawstring wrote:A lot of people have felt good and a lot haven't, though it seems like nearly everyone who reports interviewing with JS feels good about it.


Hey if I may ask, when did you have your interview? It must be frustrating to wait for so long.
When I received my LSAT score in January, I thought I would get in easily like a walk in the park for at least for CCN. Now that I still haven't heard back from CC, I'm beginning to realize how the "numbers game" idea is exaggerated way too much.


I admire your optimism and confidence.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby drawstring » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:57 pm

I interviewed in November.

TLS definitely exaggerates the numbers aspect. No doubt they are usually the most important factor, and you should be confident in your chances, but they aren't the be all end all. I know people with better numbers than both of us who haven't heard for months.

Tela1283
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Tela1283 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:58 pm

Predictions on next round of js2's?

After the feb LSAT scores?

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby wealtheow » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:08 pm

omg JS1!!!!!

User avatar
cesium
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby cesium » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:09 pm

wealtheow wrote:omg JS1!!!!!


Congrats! Just now? When did you go complete?

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby wealtheow » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:12 pm

cesium wrote:
wealtheow wrote:omg JS1!!!!!


Congrats! Just now? When did you go complete?


Timestamped quarter to five, eastern. Went complete on Valentine's Day sorry getting my apps confused, day before that, 2/13
Last edited by wealtheow on Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cesium
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby cesium » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:15 pm

wealtheow wrote:
cesium wrote:
wealtheow wrote:omg JS1!!!!!


Congrats! Just now? When did you go complete?


Timestamped quarter to five, eastern. Went complete on Valentine's Day.


Thanks! Sent you a PM.

User avatar
bbkk
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby bbkk » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:16 pm

wealtheow wrote:omg JS1!!!!!


Congrats!! :D

User avatar
Arrow4Christ
Posts: 418
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Arrow4Christ » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:51 pm

wealtheow wrote:omg JS1!!!!!


Image

User avatar
Quest4Knowledge
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:44 pm

drawstring wrote:TLS definitely exaggerates the numbers aspect. No doubt they are usually the most important factor, and you should be confident in your chances, but they aren't the be all end all.

+1

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby wealtheow » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:06 pm

Arrow4Christ wrote:
wealtheow wrote:omg JS1!!!!!


high-five-o.gif


lmao what is this, i love it

User avatar
kkdk
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:03 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby kkdk » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:45 pm

wealtheow wrote:
Arrow4Christ wrote:
wealtheow wrote:omg JS1!!!!!


high-five-o.gif


lmao what is this, i love it


Not a fan of The Office?

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby wealtheow » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:21 am

kkdk wrote:
wealtheow wrote:
Arrow4Christ wrote:
wealtheow wrote:omg JS1!!!!!


high-five-o.gif


lmao what is this, i love it


Not a fan of The Office?


no...well, i mean, i like what i've seen, which unfortunately is like two episodes

i have inadvertently officially outed myself as a hermit

User avatar
kkdk
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:03 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby kkdk » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:37 am

wealtheow wrote:no...well, i mean, i like what i've seen, which unfortunately is like two episodes

i have inadvertently officially outed myself as a hermit


Hahaha it's ok hermits need love too.

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Theopliske8711 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:52 am

wealtheow wrote:omg JS1!!!!!


Hey, may I ask you what your stats are? Congrats on the JS1, btw!

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby wealtheow » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:56 am

Theopliske8711 wrote:
wealtheow wrote:omg JS1!!!!!


Hey, may I ask you what your stats are? Congrats on the JS1, btw!


PMed!

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Theopliske8711 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:12 am

wealtheow wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:
wealtheow wrote:omg JS1!!!!!


Hey, may I ask you what your stats are? Congrats on the JS1, btw!


PMed!


Thanks! I actually meant to PM the above, but accidentally hit quote instead.

User avatar
kkdk
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:03 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby kkdk » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:27 am

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/coolidge

This profile just popped up...discuss. Doesn't appear fake that's for sure. Maybe just an error?

chizzy
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:07 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby chizzy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:52 am

kkdk wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/coolidge

This profile just popped up...discuss. Doesn't appear fake that's for sure. Maybe just an error?


the decision date listed was on the 20th. so i doubt he got in yesterday




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anon.y.mousse., carlos_danger, Christinabruin, genjustice, Google [Bot], Houzy, Imago Loop, jstans and 19 guests