Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
38
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
1
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
64
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
7
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
43
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
62
19%
Waitlisted
61
19%
Dinged D:
49
15%
 
Total votes: 325

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:26 pm

drawstring wrote:Well, we are fairly late in the cycle and going by those numbers there are still more than 1/3 of acceptances to go.


Yeah I was going to say it is almost March so this shouldn't be that surprising. I could also be way off lol.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:27 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:I just did some re-calculations with updated LSN data, and here are my current projections:

Total admitted: 617
Total rejected: 2,348
Remaining decisions: 2,520
Remaining acceptances: 233


Interesting, what is the latest estimate on remaining JS1s? (My apologies if this was just mentioned recently, trying to catch up with the thread)


There isn't really a way of knowing this. We may be able to get a rough estimate for the next cycle once we get a full year of spreadsheet data. The problem is we don't know how representative the JS1 data in the spreadsheet is yet.

User avatar
Fianna13
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Fianna13 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:33 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
drawstring wrote:Well, we are fairly late in the cycle and going by those numbers there are still more than 1/3 of acceptances to go.


Yeah I was going to say it is almost March so this shouldn't be that surprising. I could also be way off lol.


So is it fair to say that most people who applied before Jan who would've have gotten accepted already did? If that's true, then majority of those seats left should be among us who took December and possibly Feb test.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby drawstring » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:37 pm

I imagine that most of the acceptances from this point will go to those people, but there will probably also be a scattering of people who applied September-December or so (i.e. the people being defacto held).

I also have a feeling that there will be more dings on Monday.

User avatar
rseaney
Posts: 393
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby rseaney » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:57 pm

drawstring wrote:I imagine that most of the acceptances from this point will go to those people, but there will probably also be a scattering of people who applied September-December or so (i.e. the people being defacto held).

I also have a feeling that there will be more dings on Monday.


-1

LawSchoolOrNah
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:33 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby LawSchoolOrNah » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:50 pm

Gambles on JS2s this Friday or nah?

esther0123
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:40 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby esther0123 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:29 pm

...so if I took Dec LSAT, should I have at least heard about JS1 if I was in consideration? No word = probably rejected/held?

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby drawstring » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:30 pm

When did you apply? Some people get JS1s off the waitlist as well.

esther0123
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:40 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby esther0123 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:39 pm

drawstring wrote:When did you apply? Some people get JS1s off the waitlist as well.


i submitted mid november with my october score (retook december) and went complete on December 3rd. Later took december and was informed that it would be included in my file review.

gobosox
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby gobosox » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:45 am

Does anyone know how they will contact you if you can't answer phones? I am deployed for the Navy now and don't have my phone...

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby HorseThief » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:00 am

gobosox wrote:Does anyone know how they will contact you if you can't answer phones? I am deployed for the Navy now and don't have my phone...


E-mail. I don't have a phone either, so as long as they know, they'll send you an e-mail.

sup_stan
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:08 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby sup_stan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:53 am

So I just thought of a question that I hope LS22 or other ppl can answer:

Do the projected 1200 JS1 calls include those that happen post-waitlist? What about the roughly 850 admission offers, do they include WL-admit? Might be dumb questions, but I asked this because I dont understand why HLS would hand out 850 or so JS2s before WL, since this practice could easily make them over-admit. If I were them I would just admit about 600 people (adjusted for withdrawals and deferrals from last year) before the deposit deadline and admit people off the WL when some of the 600 admitted students either defer or go to other schools after the deadline. This seems to be a much smarter way to admit than just accepting 850 people before the deposit deadline/WL wave. I estimated a total of 600 JS2s before the deposit deadline since I have heard that HLS likes to admit many people off the WL, and 250 WL-admits seem reasonable considering T-14 schollys and cross-yields between SLS, YLS, and HLS.

If my guess is correct, then maybe the current size of the HLS 2017 FB group is a more accurate indication of the number of JS2s already handed out than LS22's estimate of 617 in the previous page. LS22, did you differentiate between direct admit before May and WL-admit in your calculations? The HLS 2017 FB group currently has about 360 people, but im not sure how many of those are admin and how many admitted students are not in the group. If HLS has a goal to admit 600 people before WL or the second ASW, then I estimate that we can see about 150-200 JS2s from now to the end of April.

Really hope I'm wrong, would appreciate any insight.

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby HorseThief » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:33 am

sup_stan wrote:So I just thought of a question that I hope LS22 or other ppl can answer:

Do the projected 1200 JS1 calls include those that happen post-waitlist? What about the roughly 850 admission offers, do they include WL-admit? Might be dumb questions, but I asked this because I dont understand why HLS would hand out 850 or so JS2s before WL, since this practice could easily make them over-admit. If I were them I would just admit about 600 people (adjusted for withdrawals and deferrals from last year) before the deposit deadline and admit people off the WL when some of the 600 admitted students either defer or go to other schools after the deadline. This seems to be a much smarter way to admit than just accepting 850 people before the deposit deadline/WL wave. I estimated a total of 600 JS2s before the deposit deadline since I have heard that HLS likes to admit many people off the WL, and 250 WL-admits seem reasonable considering T-14 schollys and cross-yields between SLS, YLS, and HLS.

If my guess is correct, then maybe the current size of the HLS 2017 FB group is a more accurate indication of the number of JS2s already handed out than LS22's estimate of 617 in the previous page. LS22, did you differentiate between direct admit before May and WL-admit in your calculations? The HLS 2017 FB group currently has about 360 people, but im not sure how many of those are admin and how many admitted students are not in the group. If HLS has a goal to admit 600 people before WL or the second ASW, then I estimate that we can see about 150-200 JS2s from now to the end of April.

Really hope I'm wrong, would appreciate any insight.


Initially, giving only 600 JS2's, but HLS can't afford to do this. It just isn't the top choice for enough people. In fact, the only school that can come close is Yale, since 80% of their admitted students end up matriculating. Every single other school offers way more spots than they have because they know some students will withdraw due to more $$$, location preference, ASW feels, etc. Plus, it wouldn't be a very nice thing to its future students to slap them on the waitlist.

While I don't know exactly why schools do this, it is in line with standard admissions practices.

FYI: Matriculants vs Offers (M/O)
  • Yale (199/247)
  • Harvard (568/858)
  • Stanford (179/392)
  • Columbia (352/1,236)
  • Chicago (196/836)
  • NYU (437/1800)
  • Penn (251/912)
  • UVA (330/1,071)
  • Berkeley (284/1,050)
  • Michigan (315/1,318)
  • Duke (209/954)
  • Northwestern (229/1,039)
  • Cornell (193/1,226)
  • Georgetown (554/2,353)

User avatar
cesium
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby cesium » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:35 am

Anyone know approximately how many people Harvard has historically accepted off the waitlist?

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:34 am

My calc did not take into consideration the WL but that's because it's impossible with the data we have. We know how many WL->admits there were per LSN, but we don't know how many there were total per Harvard. So you can't calculate a percentage of total WL that LSN represents like you can for rejections or total admits. Unfortunately this is the best metric we have.

If you could do this I don't think it would make you worry much. The likely thing that would happen is the percentage of pure admits that LSN represents would increase (people are more likely to update LSN if they get admitted now than if they get in late off the wait lost). What this means is the current projected admits would actually go down. But then we would add the caveat that some of the remaining seats would be saved for WL admits.

What I would guess is that there are around 225 spots left between now and may 1, and then there are another 25-50 WL admit spots. This is because my 617 estimate is likely a touch high because of the WL issue as you describe. But what I like is that this estimate is conservatively high, rather than the other way around.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:38 am

lawschool22 wrote:I just did some re-calculations with updated LSN data, and here are my current projections:

Total admitted: 617
Total rejected: 2,348
Remaining decisions: 2,520
Remaining acceptances: 233


I would be so interested to know how accurate this is. Maybe an accomm could post : )
+/- 15% margin of error?

sup_stan
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:08 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby sup_stan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:41 pm

HorseThief wrote:
sup_stan wrote:So I just thought of a question that I hope LS22 or other ppl can answer:

Do the projected 1200 JS1 calls include those that happen post-waitlist? What about the roughly 850 admission offers, do they include WL-admit? Might be dumb questions, but I asked this because I dont understand why HLS would hand out 850 or so JS2s before WL, since this practice could easily make them over-admit. If I were them I would just admit about 600 people (adjusted for withdrawals and deferrals from last year) before the deposit deadline and admit people off the WL when some of the 600 admitted students either defer or go to other schools after the deadline. This seems to be a much smarter way to admit than just accepting 850 people before the deposit deadline/WL wave. I estimated a total of 600 JS2s before the deposit deadline since I have heard that HLS likes to admit many people off the WL, and 250 WL-admits seem reasonable considering T-14 schollys and cross-yields between SLS, YLS, and HLS.

If my guess is correct, then maybe the current size of the HLS 2017 FB group is a more accurate indication of the number of JS2s already handed out than LS22's estimate of 617 in the previous page. LS22, did you differentiate between direct admit before May and WL-admit in your calculations? The HLS 2017 FB group currently has about 360 people, but im not sure how many of those are admin and how many admitted students are not in the group. If HLS has a goal to admit 600 people before WL or the second ASW, then I estimate that we can see about 150-200 JS2s from now to the end of April.

Really hope I'm wrong, would appreciate any insight.


Initially, giving only 600 JS2's, but HLS can't afford to do this. It just isn't the top choice for enough people. In fact, the only school that can come close is Yale, since 80% of their admitted students end up matriculating. Every single other school offers way more spots than they have because they know some students will withdraw due to more $$$, location preference, ASW feels, etc. Plus, it wouldn't be a very nice thing to its future students to slap them on the waitlist.

While I don't know exactly why schools do this, it is in line with standard admissions practices.

FYI: Matriculants vs Offers (M/O)
  • Yale (199/247)
  • Harvard (568/858)
  • Stanford (179/392)
  • Columbia (352/1,236)
  • Chicago (196/836)
  • NYU (437/1800)
  • Penn (251/912)
  • UVA (330/1,071)
  • Berkeley (284/1,050)
  • Michigan (315/1,318)
  • Duke (209/954)
  • Northwestern (229/1,039)
  • Cornell (193/1,226)
  • Georgetown (554/2,353)



I personally think the risk of over-admit should be more important to them than making some of the students wait, especially since this is HLS we are talking about. There has to be a reason why they were able to maintain the class size at about the same number every year despite different total offers handed out, and the way I suggested seems like a better method to ensure class size consistency than simply giving out 850 offers before the deposit deadline. My method also tends to give better yield % as it only admits when necessary.

I understand HLS is not the top choice for many people (hence my projection of 250 WL-admits), but my question is how many of them would withdraw before HLS starts waitlisting people? These admits that eventually go to other schools would likely make decisions shortly after the ASW, and given the second ASW is close to the WL wave in April/May, I would be conservative in my admits if I were HLS before WL and make admission decisions based on the withdrawals I received. The stats you listed still include WL-admits and hence do not really contradict my theory, and different schools will have different admission timelines based on their history of admits.
Last edited by sup_stan on Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sup_stan
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:08 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby sup_stan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:52 pm

lawschool22 wrote:My calc did not take into consideration the WL but that's because it's impossible with the data we have. We know how many WL->admits there were per LSN, but we don't know how many there were total per Harvard. So you can't calculate a percentage of total WL that LSN represents like you can for rejections or total admits. Unfortunately this is the best metric we have.

If you could do this I don't think it would make you worry much. The likely thing that would happen is the percentage of pure admits that LSN represents would increase (people are more likely to update LSN if they get admitted now than if they get in late off the wait lost). What this means is the current projected admits would actually go down. But then we would add the caveat that some of the remaining seats would be saved for WL admits.

What I would guess is that there are around 225 spots left between now and may 1, and then there are another 25-50 WL admit spots. This is because my 617 estimate is likely a touch high because of the WL issue as you describe. But what I like is that this estimate is conservatively high, rather than the other way around.


I heard that admitted students would be given the link to FB group shortly after they are admitted. Sorry if this is a non-issue, but I just cannot reconcile the 360 or so people in the current FB group to your estimate of 617 JS2s. 25-50 WL admit spots seem kind of low as I heard anecdotal evidence that the movement from HLS WL is rather sizable. The WL-admits from last year's Harvard wait-list thread seem to approach 20, I could be wrong though.

I guess either way, we both project about 200 JS2s left before May, the only difference is how much movement we can expect after WL. The distinction between WL-admit and direct admit is rather important to me because I really need the latter. Oh welp back to my depression.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:23 pm

sup_stan wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
sup_stan wrote:So I just thought of a question that I hope LS22 or other ppl can answer:

Do the projected 1200 JS1 calls include those that happen post-waitlist? What about the roughly 850 admission offers, do they include WL-admit? Might be dumb questions, but I asked this because I dont understand why HLS would hand out 850 or so JS2s before WL, since this practice could easily make them over-admit. If I were them I would just admit about 600 people (adjusted for withdrawals and deferrals from last year) before the deposit deadline and admit people off the WL when some of the 600 admitted students either defer or go to other schools after the deadline. This seems to be a much smarter way to admit than just accepting 850 people before the deposit deadline/WL wave. I estimated a total of 600 JS2s before the deposit deadline since I have heard that HLS likes to admit many people off the WL, and 250 WL-admits seem reasonable considering T-14 schollys and cross-yields between SLS, YLS, and HLS.

If my guess is correct, then maybe the current size of the HLS 2017 FB group is a more accurate indication of the number of JS2s already handed out than LS22's estimate of 617 in the previous page. LS22, did you differentiate between direct admit before May and WL-admit in your calculations? The HLS 2017 FB group currently has about 360 people, but im not sure how many of those are admin and how many admitted students are not in the group. If HLS has a goal to admit 600 people before WL or the second ASW, then I estimate that we can see about 150-200 JS2s from now to the end of April.

Really hope I'm wrong, would appreciate any insight.


Initially, giving only 600 JS2's, but HLS can't afford to do this. It just isn't the top choice for enough people. In fact, the only school that can come close is Yale, since 80% of their admitted students end up matriculating. Every single other school offers way more spots than they have because they know some students will withdraw due to more $$$, location preference, ASW feels, etc. Plus, it wouldn't be a very nice thing to its future students to slap them on the waitlist.

While I don't know exactly why schools do this, it is in line with standard admissions practices.

FYI: Matriculants vs Offers (M/O)
  • Yale (199/247)
  • Harvard (568/858)
  • Stanford (179/392)
  • Columbia (352/1,236)
  • Chicago (196/836)
  • NYU (437/1800)
  • Penn (251/912)
  • UVA (330/1,071)
  • Berkeley (284/1,050)
  • Michigan (315/1,318)
  • Duke (209/954)
  • Northwestern (229/1,039)
  • Cornell (193/1,226)
  • Georgetown (554/2,353)



I personally think the risk of over-admit should be more important to them than making some of the students wait, especially since this is HLS we are talking about. There has to be a reason why they were able to maintain the class size at about the same number every year despite different total offers handed out, and the way I suggested seems like a better method to ensure class size consistency than simply giving out 850 offers before the deposit deadline. My method also tends to give better yield % as it only admits when necessary.

I understand HLS is not the top choice for many people (hence my projection of 250 WL-admits), but my question is how many of them would withdraw before HLS starts waitlisting people? These admits that eventually go to other schools would likely make decisions shortly after the ASW, and given the second ASW is close to the WL wave in April/May, I would be conservative in my admits if I were HLS before WL and make admission decisions based on the withdrawals I received. The stats you listed still include WL-admits and hence do not really contradict my theory, and different schools will have different admission timelines based on their history of admits.


Spit-take at 250 WL admits.

User avatar
Quest4Knowledge
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:58 pm

sup_stan wrote:I heard that admitted students would be given the link to FB group shortly after they are admitted. Sorry if this is a non-issue, but I just cannot reconcile the 360 or so people in the current FB group to your estimate of 617 JS2s. 25-50 WL admit spots seem kind of low as I heard anecdotal evidence that the movement from HLS WL is rather sizable. The WL-admits from last year's Harvard wait-list thread seem to approach 20, I could be wrong though.


Especially since the FB group is run by HLS Admissions, I feel like almost all accepted students would be in the group at this stage of the cycle. I think the number would dwindle once students start accepting other schools (YS, scholarships at other T14) - but at this point I feel like the ~360 is a good starting estimate of accepted students.

So my guess is ~400 JS2's have been given out.

...granted I'm probably just trying to justify it being less so there's more JS2's left to go around

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:04 pm

Quest4Knowledge wrote:
sup_stan wrote:I heard that admitted students would be given the link to FB group shortly after they are admitted. Sorry if this is a non-issue, but I just cannot reconcile the 360 or so people in the current FB group to your estimate of 617 JS2s. 25-50 WL admit spots seem kind of low as I heard anecdotal evidence that the movement from HLS WL is rather sizable. The WL-admits from last year's Harvard wait-list thread seem to approach 20, I could be wrong though.


Especially since the FB group is run by HLS Admissions, I feel like almost all accepted students would be in the group at this stage of the cycle. I think the number would dwindle once students start accepting other schools (YS, scholarships at other T14) - but at this point I feel like the ~360 is a good starting estimate of accepted students.

So my guess is ~400 JS2's have been given out.

...granted I'm probably just trying to justify it being less so there's more JS2's left to go around


This is too low. As I mentioned earlier, 617 is probably a bit high, but I really don't think it's much lower than 550. Look how many have been admitted per LSN, divide that into 400, and tell me what percentage that is. You'll see it's way too high.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:07 pm

sup_stan wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:My calc did not take into consideration the WL but that's because it's impossible with the data we have. We know how many WL->admits there were per LSN, but we don't know how many there were total per Harvard. So you can't calculate a percentage of total WL that LSN represents like you can for rejections or total admits. Unfortunately this is the best metric we have.

If you could do this I don't think it would make you worry much. The likely thing that would happen is the percentage of pure admits that LSN represents would increase (people are more likely to update LSN if they get admitted now than if they get in late off the wait lost). What this means is the current projected admits would actually go down. But then we would add the caveat that some of the remaining seats would be saved for WL admits.

What I would guess is that there are around 225 spots left between now and may 1, and then there are another 25-50 WL admit spots. This is because my 617 estimate is likely a touch high because of the WL issue as you describe. But what I like is that this estimate is conservatively high, rather than the other way around.


I heard that admitted students would be given the link to FB group shortly after they are admitted. Sorry if this is a non-issue, but I just cannot reconcile the 360 or so people in the current FB group to your estimate of 617 JS2s. 25-50 WL admit spots seem kind of low as I heard anecdotal evidence that the movement from HLS WL is rather sizable. The WL-admits from last year's Harvard wait-list thread seem to approach 20, I could be wrong though.

I guess either way, we both project about 200 JS2s left before May, the only difference is how much movement we can expect after WL. The distinction between WL-admit and direct admit is rather important to me because I really need the latter. Oh welp back to my depression.


As I mentioned a few pages back, there is a somewhat different strategy this year. HLS got burned by some late SLS wait list moves, and they generally just want a better idea of what the class will be sooner. There will be WL activity, but I don't think it will be as much as last year. I also think your estimate of 250 WL-> admits is way too high. There is no way that nearly half of the class came in off the wait list.

Also I don't know where you got this but I don't think there will be 200 JS2's left after May 1.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:15 pm

One last point. This is all obviously speculation, but I'm at least trying to base my numbers on LSN data and past history. I welcome any other projections, but please try and base it off numbers instead of "I just feel like there have to be xxx JS2s left" :D

sup_stan
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:08 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby sup_stan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:20 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
sup_stan wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:My calc did not take into consideration the WL but that's because it's impossible with the data we have. We know how many WL->admits there were per LSN, but we don't know how many there were total per Harvard. So you can't calculate a percentage of total WL that LSN represents like you can for rejections or total admits. Unfortunately this is the best metric we have.

If you could do this I don't think it would make you worry much. The likely thing that would happen is the percentage of pure admits that LSN represents would increase (people are more likely to update LSN if they get admitted now than if they get in late off the wait lost). What this means is the current projected admits would actually go down. But then we would add the caveat that some of the remaining seats would be saved for WL admits.

What I would guess is that there are around 225 spots left between now and may 1, and then there are another 25-50 WL admit spots. This is because my 617 estimate is likely a touch high because of the WL issue as you describe. But what I like is that this estimate is conservatively high, rather than the other way around.


I heard that admitted students would be given the link to FB group shortly after they are admitted. Sorry if this is a non-issue, but I just cannot reconcile the 360 or so people in the current FB group to your estimate of 617 JS2s. 25-50 WL admit spots seem kind of low as I heard anecdotal evidence that the movement from HLS WL is rather sizable. The WL-admits from last year's Harvard wait-list thread seem to approach 20, I could be wrong though.

I guess either way, we both project about 200 JS2s left before May, the only difference is how much movement we can expect after WL. The distinction between WL-admit and direct admit is rather important to me because I really need the latter. Oh welp back to my depression.


As I mentioned a few pages back, there is a somewhat different strategy this year. HLS got burned by some late SLS wait list moves, and they generally just want a better idea of what the class will be sooner. There will be WL activity, but I don't think it will be as much as last year. I also think your estimate of 250 WL-> admits is way too high. There is no way that nearly half of the class came in off the wait list.

Also I don't know where you got this but I don't think there will be 200 JS2's left after May 1.



I said before before May, not after. I just don't think straight-out giving almost all of the 850 offers before May is a wise practice given the unpredictability of withdrawals/deferrals. The 250 WL-admit assumption depends on whether the total offers handed out will indeed be 850. If it turns out that SLS, YLS, and other T-14 do not manage to steal as many students from HLS post-deposit deadline, then HLS would in turn not need to admit as many off the WL, making both the total number of admits and the number of WL-admits drop.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:31 pm

I never said they were going to give out all 850 before May. Not sure what your point is, I get the concept of the WL and using that to manage class size. I think our only point of disagreement is about the number of the 850 that will come from the wait list. All I'm saying is we can't really know that. 200 is too high, 25 is probably too low. Where it ends up in between is anyone's guess. My projections are based on the most relevant data we have. We can't really do much more than that other than speculate.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”