Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
19%
Waitlisted
19%
Dinged D:
15%

Total votes: 325

wealtheow

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby wealtheow » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:04 am

muzzy wrote:All the cool kids have the JS1s and JS2s to show off at the lunch table, but my (late) app went complete today. So, while I'm like the kid whose mom packed a PBJ when everyone else has Snack Packs and Gushers, I will still be peanut-butter-jelly-time-ing. For better or worse, I am now further along on the road of shame / fame.

same here, just went complete. i'll sit with you at the nofriends table. trade you an apple for your grahamcrackers.

ShrimpToastMasters

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:05 am

barcelona999 wrote:
Quest4Knowledge wrote:Not too long ago, there was a discussion in this thread about applicants being 'HYS or bust'. For those individuals who have this attitude - why? As in, you would be willing to decline other schools and wait a cycle for another chance at HYS.

I'm curious to hear contrasting views, because it was the attitude I had going into this cycle - although I think my views have softened as we progress forward.

Great question...

Honestly, it has to do with bitter regret I had throughout the 4 years of college about how I would have been much happier attending one of the top colleges..
I think the name could matter a lot (depending on your environment).

In my case, going to Harvard Law School would accord much, much higher rewards than CCN. Since my GPA is at Harvard's median (but my LSAT is below their median) I'll re-take the LSAT if I don't get in this cycle.

I mean - this is clearly a personal decision, so every answer is a correct answer. However, having gone to a top UG and coming out with oodles of debt already, I will happily take a lower T-6 instead of HYS (but HLS particularly - and actually, I have a weird thing for YLS, like many of you do for HLS) just for the money. The freedom of choice that will be allowed by 90-180k less debt is, to me, a much greater benefit than the bump of prestige HLS will give.

chicky

Postby chicky » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:09 am

Tela1283 wrote:So..,is harvard open today?

Yeah, it's not bad here at all. Plus, if Harvard didn't close last Wednesday when it was awful, they're def not closed today.

selden

Postby selden » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:18 am

barcelona999 wrote:
Quest4Knowledge wrote:Not too long ago, there was a discussion in this thread about applicants being 'HYS or bust'. For those individuals who have this attitude - why? As in, you would be willing to decline other schools and wait a cycle for another chance at HYS.

I'm curious to hear contrasting views, because it was the attitude I had going into this cycle - although I think my views have softened as we progress forward.

Great question...

Honestly, it has to do with bitter regret I had throughout the 4 years of college about how I would have been much happier attending one of the top colleges..

In my case, going to Harvard Law School would accord much, much higher rewards than CCN. Since my GPA is at Harvard's median (but my LSAT is below their median) I'll re-take the LSAT if I don't get in this cycle.

Mind if I ask why it would have greater awards? Is it what you're interested in doing with your JD?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:21 am

a.sleepyhead wrote:
Schools also know there is going to be a great deal of what they refer to as “summer melting” this cycle. For many schools, this means 50% or more of their entering classes will come from summer admits.

Spivey will be the death of me. First the drama with the Oct. LSAT score release, now this.

hahaha! I promise you Mike was not referring to HLS here! :)

MA980

Postby MA980 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:24 am

Last edited by MA980 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:25 am

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
a.sleepyhead wrote:
Schools also know there is going to be a great deal of what they refer to as “summer melting” this cycle. For many schools, this means 50% or more of their entering classes will come from summer admits.

Spivey will be the death of me. First the drama with the Oct. LSAT score release, now this.

hahaha! I promise you Mike was not referring to HLS here! :)

Thank you for calming our nerves, Karen. :D
Last edited by lawschool22 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhs12

Postby bhs12 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:28 am

wealtheow wrote:
muzzy wrote:All the cool kids have the JS1s and JS2s to show off at the lunch table, but my (late) app went complete today. So, while I'm like the kid whose mom packed a PBJ when everyone else has Snack Packs and Gushers, I will still be peanut-butter-jelly-time-ing. For better or worse, I am now further along on the road of shame / fame.

same here, just went complete. i'll sit with you at the nofriends table. trade you an apple for your grahamcrackers.

Same boat. I'll trade your graham crackers for my cheesestick... Or some JS1 love...

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:40 am

bhs12 wrote:
wealtheow wrote:

Same boat. I'll trade your graham crackers for my cheesestick... Or some JS1 love...

word. although im in the mood for some carrot sticks, actually..

i'm usually prone to catastrophizing, but i'm honestly not too worried about applying to H late. especially in light of the extended deadline...we won't even be the latest batch. but i could just be in denial. w/e. :}

rseaney

Postby rseaney » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:44 am

I'd love to hear Madam Buttenbaum's opinion on the "HYS or bust" mentality^

chneyo

Postby chneyo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:50 am

Last edited by chneyo on Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:00 pm

rseaney wrote:I'd love to hear Madam Buttenbaum's opinion on the "HYS or bust" mentality^

Please, the Madam is too much, you may call me KB :)
After 12 years of working at HLS, it is hard for me to not to love that school. It is a great place, and keep in mind that I've only been gone since September, so I am still quite biased about the place.
However, there are other really terrific schools out there that will help launch your career, so you life is not over and your dreams may not be shattered if you don't get in.
But if your dream is to attend HLS, there is no harm in re-applying if you want to retake the LSAT, get a few years of work experience, etc.

Cheers,
KB

OMAR_COMIN_YO

Postby OMAR_COMIN_YO » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:04 pm

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
My heart it is aching
For a sweet JS2

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

chneyo

Postby chneyo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:07 pm

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:13 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
rseaney wrote:I'd love to hear Madam Buttenbaum's opinion on the "HYS or bust" mentality^

After 12 years of working at HLS, it is hard for me to not to love that school. It is a great place, and keep in mind that I've only been gone since September, so I am still quite biased about the place.
However, there are other really terrific schools out there that will help launch your career, so you life is not over and your dreams may not be shattered if you don't get in.
But if your dream is to attend HLS, there is no harm in re-applying if you want to retake the LSAT, get a few years of work experience, etc.

Cheers,
KB

Always great to hear your thoughts!

Now, about those borderline candidates. Thoughts on when they will start hearing back about waitlists and acceptances? Or maybe more specifically, when you were at HLS, at what point in the cycle did you have a good enough idea of the class profile to start dipping down into the people who were perhaps at/slightly above one median and below the other?

Just so you know, you're willingness to answer our questions in this thread is taking away some of the misery of waiting :)

OMAR_COMIN_YO

Postby OMAR_COMIN_YO » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:20 pm

chneyo wrote:
OMAR_COMIN_YO wrote:Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
My heart it is aching
For a sweet JS2

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

PERFECT. And love the tar.

Thanks. I write for the people.

Got a pretty spiffy tar yourself, ol' Georgy B.

ShrimpToastMasters

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:45 pm

ShrimpToastMasters wrote:
barcelona999 wrote:

Great question...

I mean - this is clearly a personal decision, so every answer is a correct answer. However, having gone to a top UG and coming out with oodles of debt already, I will happily take a lower T-6 instead of HYS (but HLS particularly - and actually, I have a weird thing for YLS, like many of you do for HLS) just for the money. The freedom of choice that will be allowed by 90-180k less debt is, to me, a much greater benefit than the bump of prestige HLS will give.

also, tbf - I'm trying to be as negative as possible about HLS right now in mental preparation for a ding :/ no use getting the hopes up, lols

chneyo

Postby chneyo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:05 pm

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:19 pm

a.sleepyhead wrote:

This is my favorite TLS post of all time.

That blog has nothing to do with any of the top schools six school as far as summer admits, fyi.

rseaney

Postby rseaney » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:26 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:

Cheers,
KB

Thank you KB!
That's great to hear

Slytherpuff

Postby Slytherpuff » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:11 pm

wealtheow wrote:
bhs12 wrote:
wealtheow wrote:

word. although im in the mood for some carrot sticks, actually..

i'm usually prone to catastrophizing, but i'm honestly not too worried about applying to H late. especially in light of the extended deadline...we won't even be the latest batch. but i could just be in denial. w/e. :}

Late complete as well. I have cupcakes though, no carrot sticks. (No joke, I have homemade cupcakes with me right now. Great consolation prize for not having a JS1.)

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:52 pm

:lol:
Last edited by Kimikho on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redsox

Postby redsox » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:00 pm

I love how KB can hijack this thread just by making an appearance. The power...

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:04 pm

redsox wrote:I love how KB can hijack this thread just by making an appearance. The power...

I'm surprised she is just now popping in lol. Come on in KB, stay a while. :D

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:09 pm

scoobers wrote:
KarenButtenbaum wrote:

Cheers,
KB

Are these necessary or sufficient assumptions? :lol:
Actually asking: let's say I am dinged and then reapply in a few years with the same LSAT, relatively same (or lower) GPA, but the app has changed substantially (WE, essay, etc). Thoughts?
(please don't quote when giving those thoughts)

Damn you! I assumed I would never again have to hear such language when I was done with that accursed test!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”