Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
38
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
1
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
64
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
7
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
43
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
62
19%
Waitlisted
61
19%
Dinged D:
49
15%
 
Total votes: 325

User avatar
chneyo
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby chneyo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:31 pm

...
Last edited by chneyo on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bbkk
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby bbkk » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:46 pm

Arrow4Christ wrote:Got my JS1! :mrgreen:


Congrats Arrow!! :D :D :D

User avatar
Fianna13
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Fianna13 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:50 pm

Also got my JS1 today!!! Can someone post the link to the interview page and the post about the lighting and the positions for the camera? I remember someone posted it when he/she got his/her JS2, but I can't remember his/her name. D:

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby SplitMyPants » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:51 pm

Page 302 for dat JS2

User avatar
pseu
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby pseu » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:55 pm

120 + 180 + (JS)2 = 302

acceptance guaranteed

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Kimikho » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:55 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:Page 302 for dat JS2


this is sound logic.
@drawstring--do you have the link to that KJD kid from last year?

User avatar
chneyo
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby chneyo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:58 pm

...
Last edited by chneyo on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ShrimpToastMasters
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:03 pm

Fianna13 wrote:Also got my JS1 today!!! Can someone post the link to the interview page and the post about the lighting and the positions for the camera? I remember someone posted it when he/she got his/her JS2, but I can't remember his/her name. D:


LS22 posted it and I've asked him to re-post - he's searching for it now!

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby neprep » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:04 pm

ShrimpToastMasters wrote:
Fianna13 wrote:Also got my JS1 today!!! Can someone post the link to the interview page and the post about the lighting and the positions for the camera? I remember someone posted it when he/she got his/her JS2, but I can't remember his/her name. D:


LS22 posted it and I've asked him to re-post - he's searching for it now!


LS22 wrote:Professional lighting on the cheap for Skype interviews:
Change your computer background to a nice amber/orange color so your face looks warm and isn't washed out by the blue LED backlight. Get a lamp, take the lamp shade off, and position it to your left (about 10 o'clock position) and about three feet away - a 40-60 watt bulb is best for this. Turn on the overhead light in the room you're in (it will act as a "hair light" (technical term) and illuminate the top of your head with some shine to give depth). Then get a floor lamp (or put it on a shelf or something) with, preferably, a brighter bulb than the lamp on your desk (75 watts is good). Place it in the 4 or 5 o'clock position, about 5 feet away from where you are seated. For the best effect, place a white poster board or sheet behind the lamp pointed towards the back right of your head.

If you can do this setup in a room with window (covered w/ blinds or a light curtain) that is even better. Set it up so the window is to the right of you. This will give a pleasing contrast, as the lamp to your left will read on screen as a warm color, and the window will read a color. This provides good definition to your face and is a pleasing set up.

Keep your chin slightly up, with your face turned just ever so slightly to the right. But then relax and be natural . You should always have a slight smile, and you should appear engaged, happy, enthusiastic, etc.

Also - make sure your background is free of clutter. This is very important. A simple, clean room as a backdrop is best. And by setting up the lighting as described above, the room will appear slightly dimmer than you, making you the part that stands out, and causing the background to be less distracting.
Last edited by neprep on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:04 pm

ShrimpToastMasters wrote:
Fianna13 wrote:Also got my JS1 today!!! Can someone post the link to the interview page and the post about the lighting and the positions for the camera? I remember someone posted it when he/she got his/her JS2, but I can't remember his/her name. D:


LS22 posted it and I've asked him to re-post - he's searching for it now!


Here we are:

Professional lighting on the cheap for Skype interviews:
Change your computer background to a nice amber/orange color so your face looks warm and isn't washed out by the blue LED backlight. Get a lamp, take the lamp shade off, and position it to your left (about 10 o'clock position) and about three feet away - a 40-60 watt bulb is best for this. Turn on the overhead light in the room you're in (it will act as a "hair light" (technical term) and illuminate the top of your head with some shine to give depth). Then get a floor lamp (or put it on a shelf or something) with, preferably, a brighter bulb than the lamp on your desk (75 watts is good). Place it in the 4 or 5 o'clock position, about 5 feet away from where you are seated. For the best effect, place a white poster board or sheet behind the lamp pointed towards the back right of your head.

If you can do this setup in a room with window (covered w/ blinds or a light curtain) that is even better. Set it up so the window is to the right of you. This will give a pleasing contrast, as the lamp to your left will read on screen as a warm color, and the window will read as a cool color. This provides good definition to your face and is a pleasing set up. It is also important to only use one "type" of light in the room. By that I mean, mixing fluorescent with regular tungsten bulbs will cause color issues, as Skype cannot set the white balance properly. I would recommend using all tungsten (or "warm" CFL's) bulbs, plus the window, and you will get a nice contrast but proper color.

Keep your chin slightly up, with your face turned just ever so slightly to the right. But then relax and be natural :). You should always have a slight smile, and you should appear engaged, happy, enthusiastic, etc.

Also - make sure your background is free of clutter. This is very important. A simple, clean room as a backdrop is best. And by setting up the lighting as described above, the room will appear slightly dimmer than you, making you the part that stands out, and causing the background to be less distracting.

Finally, feel free to experiment! All rooms are different. Go to the preferences of Skype and you can see how you will appear. Play around with the angle and distance of the lights until it looks good to you.


Can we get this added to the OP? It has been requested a few times and I can never find it lol

Edit: Scooped by nep

User avatar
hellomellow
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:35 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby hellomellow » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:06 pm

Might sound silly but how are you contacted for a JS1?

User avatar
MrMileyCyrus
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby MrMileyCyrus » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:07 pm

hellomellow wrote:Might sound silly but how are you contacted for a JS1?


Email from HLS. The email title will clearly state like "Harvard Law Interview Invitation" or something obvious.

User avatar
chneyo
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby chneyo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:08 pm

...
Last edited by chneyo on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:09 pm

chneyo wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
ShrimpToastMasters wrote:
Fianna13 wrote:Also got my JS1 today!!! Can someone post the link to the interview page and the post about the lighting and the positions for the camera? I remember someone posted it when he/she got his/her JS2, but I can't remember his/her name. D:


LS22 posted it and I've asked him to re-post - he's searching for it now!


Here we are:

Professional lighting on the cheap for Skype interviews:
Change your computer background to a nice amber/orange color so your face looks warm and isn't washed out by the blue LED backlight. Get a lamp, take the lamp shade off, and position it to your left (about 10 o'clock position) and about three feet away - a 40-60 watt bulb is best for this. Turn on the overhead light in the room you're in (it will act as a "hair light" (technical term) and illuminate the top of your head with some shine to give depth). Then get a floor lamp (or put it on a shelf or something) with, preferably, a brighter bulb than the lamp on your desk (75 watts is good). Place it in the 4 or 5 o'clock position, about 5 feet away from where you are seated. For the best effect, place a white poster board or sheet behind the lamp pointed towards the back right of your head.

If you can do this setup in a room with window (covered w/ blinds or a light curtain) that is even better. Set it up so the window is to the right of you. This will give a pleasing contrast, as the lamp to your left will read on screen as a warm color, and the window will read as a cool color. This provides good definition to your face and is a pleasing set up. It is also important to only use one "type" of light in the room. By that I mean, mixing fluorescent with regular tungsten bulbs will cause color issues, as Skype cannot set the white balance properly. I would recommend using all tungsten (or "warm" CFL's) bulbs, plus the window, and you will get a nice contrast but proper color.

Keep your chin slightly up, with your face turned just ever so slightly to the right. But then relax and be natural :). You should always have a slight smile, and you should appear engaged, happy, enthusiastic, etc.

Also - make sure your background is free of clutter. This is very important. A simple, clean room as a backdrop is best. And by setting up the lighting as described above, the room will appear slightly dimmer than you, making you the part that stands out, and causing the background to be less distracting.

Finally, feel free to experiment! All rooms are different. Go to the preferences of Skype and you can see how you will appear. Play around with the angle and distance of the lights until it looks good to you.


Can we get this added to the OP? It has been requested a few times and I can never find it lol

Edit: Scooped by nep


When it's all said and done, you should look something like this:
Image


Oh yeah, I should have just posted that instead of my rambling narrative. Thanks chneyo :D :D :lol:

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby neprep » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:10 pm

chneyo wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
ShrimpToastMasters wrote:
Fianna13 wrote:Also got my JS1 today!!! Can someone post the link to the interview page and the post about the lighting and the positions for the camera? I remember someone posted it when he/she got his/her JS2, but I can't remember his/her name. D:


LS22 posted it and I've asked him to re-post - he's searching for it now!


Here we are:

Professional lighting on the cheap for Skype interviews:
Change your computer background to a nice amber/orange color so your face looks warm and isn't washed out by the blue LED backlight. Get a lamp, take the lamp shade off, and position it to your left (about 10 o'clock position) and about three feet away - a 40-60 watt bulb is best for this. Turn on the overhead light in the room you're in (it will act as a "hair light" (technical term) and illuminate the top of your head with some shine to give depth). Then get a floor lamp (or put it on a shelf or something) with, preferably, a brighter bulb than the lamp on your desk (75 watts is good). Place it in the 4 or 5 o'clock position, about 5 feet away from where you are seated. For the best effect, place a white poster board or sheet behind the lamp pointed towards the back right of your head.

If you can do this setup in a room with window (covered w/ blinds or a light curtain) that is even better. Set it up so the window is to the right of you. This will give a pleasing contrast, as the lamp to your left will read on screen as a warm color, and the window will read as a cool color. This provides good definition to your face and is a pleasing set up. It is also important to only use one "type" of light in the room. By that I mean, mixing fluorescent with regular tungsten bulbs will cause color issues, as Skype cannot set the white balance properly. I would recommend using all tungsten (or "warm" CFL's) bulbs, plus the window, and you will get a nice contrast but proper color.

Keep your chin slightly up, with your face turned just ever so slightly to the right. But then relax and be natural :). You should always have a slight smile, and you should appear engaged, happy, enthusiastic, etc.

Also - make sure your background is free of clutter. This is very important. A simple, clean room as a backdrop is best. And by setting up the lighting as described above, the room will appear slightly dimmer than you, making you the part that stands out, and causing the background to be less distracting.

Finally, feel free to experiment! All rooms are different. Go to the preferences of Skype and you can see how you will appear. Play around with the angle and distance of the lights until it looks good to you.


Can we get this added to the OP? It has been requested a few times and I can never find it lol

Edit: Scooped by nep


When it's all said and done, you should look something like this:
SkypeWoman.jpg


Well that lady is clearly an autoadmit.

User avatar
chneyo
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby chneyo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:10 pm

...
Last edited by chneyo on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:11 pm

chneyo wrote:
neprep wrote:Well that lady is clearly an autoadmit.


I hope so! That was a screen shot from my interview!


I figured, since it was Windows XP. :twisted:

Edit: Realized this was post 2600. That was fortunate.

User avatar
chneyo
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby chneyo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:12 pm

...
Last edited by chneyo on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
selden
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby selden » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:15 pm

chneyo wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
chneyo wrote:
neprep wrote:Well that lady is clearly an autoadmit.


I hope so! That was a screen shot from my interview!


I figured, since it was Windows XP. :twisted:


Just updated and it's GREAT! I should've gotten XP years ago!


You've been missing out! Wait till you meet Clippy.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:19 pm

chneyo wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
chneyo wrote:
neprep wrote:Well that lady is clearly an autoadmit.


I hope so! That was a screen shot from my interview!


I figured, since it was Windows XP. :twisted:


Just updated and it's GREAT! I should've gotten XP years ago!


:D

User avatar
August Wilson
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby August Wilson » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:25 pm

pseu wrote:120 + 180 + (JS)2 = 302

acceptance guaranteed


quoted for science.

User avatar
Ren
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:42 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Ren » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:26 pm

August Wilson wrote:
pseu wrote:120 + 180 + (JS)2 = 302

acceptance guaranteed


quoted for science.


... might as well get in on this =)

User avatar
Arrow4Christ
Posts: 418
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Arrow4Christ » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:37 pm

Thanks, guys! I'm definitely excited.

mandyjay11 wrote:
Arrow4Christ wrote:Got my JS1! :mrgreen:



congrats!! When did you go complete??


Went complete on 1/28 via status checker, 1/30 via email.

User avatar
pseu
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby pseu » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:11 pm

Ren wrote:
August Wilson wrote:
pseu wrote:120 + 180 + (JS)2 = 302

acceptance guaranteed


quoted for science.


... might as well get in on this =)


has science ever lied?

User avatar
Fianna13
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Fianna13 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:13 pm

You guys are godsend! Thank you all for posting it in such a short time!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”