Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
38
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
1
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
64
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
7
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
43
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
62
19%
Waitlisted
61
19%
Dinged D:
49
15%
 
Total votes: 325

User avatar
Happy Gilmore
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:24 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Happy Gilmore » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:01 pm

.
Last edited by Happy Gilmore on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby wtrc » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:06 pm

FB
Last edited by wtrc on Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

californiauser
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby californiauser » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:07 pm

8)
Last edited by californiauser on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sourrudedude
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Sourrudedude » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:10 pm

BoxerReb6 wrote:Should I update my resume with my new job before my JS1 or not? New job isn't hugely impressive, I mainly took it because it allowed me to go back home and deal with some personal things before law school.

JS1s have been very resume-focused so they'd probably want to see it.

BoxerReb6
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:00 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby BoxerReb6 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Sourrudedude wrote:
BoxerReb6 wrote:Should I update my resume with my new job before my JS1 or not? New job isn't hugely impressive, I mainly took it because it allowed me to go back home and deal with some personal things before law school.

JS1s have been very resume-focused so they'd probably want to see it.


Yea I thought they might. So second question, how do I update?

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby wtrc » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:39 pm

BoxerReb6 wrote:
Sourrudedude wrote:
BoxerReb6 wrote:Should I update my resume with my new job before my JS1 or not? New job isn't hugely impressive, I mainly took it because it allowed me to go back home and deal with some personal things before law school.

JS1s have been very resume-focused so they'd probably want to see it.


Yea I thought they might. So second question, how do I update?


Not HLS, but I submitted two apps to other schools (one T14 one just outside T14) and then noticed a dating error in my resume. I emailed the offices of admission and they told me that they will add the new one to the file (couldn't delete the old one), but it seemed to be a very common and standard request.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby twenty » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:06 pm

I imagine there are heated discussions over my application. Presumably people throwing office supplies at eachother.

"But he has no GPA! NO GPA I TELL YOU!"
*throws stapler*

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby drawstring » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:21 pm

.
Last edited by drawstring on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dekal2009
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 11:54 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Dekal2009 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:43 pm

All this talk of JS1s are making me nervous...especially since I went complete October 9th and haven't heard of anything...I sense a wait list in my future.

I'll wait silently :cry:

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby jingosaur » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:53 pm

Went complete in one day. Hopefully I get an interview invite in a couple of weeks. I'm still waiting on that first acceptance.

Mr.PotatoHead
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Mr.PotatoHead » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:03 pm

Is it poem time yet in this thread? I feel like this thread is lacking the creativity and enthusiasm of last year's thread.

User avatar
Sourrudedude
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Sourrudedude » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:05 pm

Mr.PotatoHead wrote:Is it poem time yet in this thread? I feel like this thread is lacking the creativity and enthusiasm of last year's thread.

I don't think the poetry starts for another week or so.

User avatar
crazyrobin
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:52 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby crazyrobin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:24 am

Sourrudedude wrote:
Mr.PotatoHead wrote:Is it poem time yet in this thread? I feel like this thread is lacking the creativity and enthusiasm of last year's thread.

I don't think the poetry starts for another week or so.


:lol:
Remind me of the "Les Misérables" line in Ding bar.

User avatar
Howl
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:11 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Howl » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:21 am

gingerspice wrote: I had the same uncertainty, I called and they said I didn't have to answer that question. I'm still a little nervous because the person I talked to seemed slightly unsure, but I'm sure it's fine. I will probably bring up that I want to apply to the dual degree if/when I have my JS1.


Gave the admissions office a call. The person said in certain terms to leave the dual degree section blank in such a case.

I envy all of you who've submitted apps already/gotten JS1s. Best of luck!

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Humbert Humbert » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:06 pm

Had my interview today and thought it went well. Very conversational and laid back. Questions were exclusively about work experience (current job) and one about an internship I had on my resume. No "Why law" or "Why Harvard". Lasted 15 minutes, but felt like it went by SO fast.

User avatar
Searchparty
Posts: 193
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Searchparty » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:46 pm

If you're going to include this anywhere on your application - do not say you "own" a Facebook page. Facebook owns it. Also, do not play it up to be more than it is. Lastly, if you are in control of the page, but allow other people to post stupid things you don't like, it's a hard thing to disclaim, but if you don't want that to reflect poorly on you, explain that it's your page that you, in conjunction with other people, control and post on.

Just a note, though... it's unlikely it will negatively impact you based on the opinions being posted, unless they're blatantly ignorant/stupid (e.g. conspiracy theories or blaming the president for things he doesn't have control over). The way it will negatively impact you is if you make it seem way more impressive than it is - they go see the page and they're like "oh... not at all what I was expecting."

IMO, this should literally take up no more than one line on your resume and shouldn't find itself anywhere else in your application.
Last edited by Searchparty on Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dekal2009
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 11:54 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Dekal2009 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:45 pm

On Harvard's status check thing-y, will it say "Application Under Review" when they are reviewing it, or will it just continue to say "Application Complete?"

Mr.PotatoHead
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Mr.PotatoHead » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:25 am

Dekal2009 wrote:On Harvard's status check thing-y, will it say "Application Under Review" when they are reviewing it, or will it just continue to say "Application Complete?"


It will just say "Application Complete"

blaineamory
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby blaineamory » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:43 pm

JS1!

172/3.88, good softs.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2064
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:45 pm

blaineamory wrote:JS1!

172/3.88, good softs.


Damn, nice! When did you go complete? I'm beginning to think that there is something glaringly wrong with my app :(

blaineamory
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby blaineamory » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:03 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
blaineamory wrote:JS1!

172/3.88, good softs.


Damn, nice! When did you go complete? I'm beginning to think that there is something glaringly wrong with my app :(


End of September, 9/27 I believe.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2064
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:09 pm

blaineamory wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
blaineamory wrote:JS1!

172/3.88, good softs.


Damn, nice! When did you go complete? I'm beginning to think that there is something glaringly wrong with my app :(


End of September, 9/27 I believe.


Thanks, now I feel a tad bit better. Good luck bruther!

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Just got my JS1 invite! I AM FUH-REAKING OUT! So excited, I can't even! :D

SO: I am the world's worst interviewee. Anyone have any tips for interviewing? If anyone could post links to their favorites articles on interviewing (ones specifically about the JS1 would be particularly great), that would be amazing.

Also, specific Q: do you guys recommend interviewing sooner rather than later? I can interview within the next couple days, next week, or in a couple weeks. Don't think I'm prepared for this week, and I'd love to put it off, but do I stand a better chance if I do, say, middle of next week?

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby wtrc » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:45 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Just got my JS1 invite! I AM FUH-REAKING OUT! So excited, I can't even! :D

SO: I am the world's worst interviewee. Anyone have any tips for interviewing? If anyone could post links to their favorites articles on interviewing (ones specifically about the JS1 would be particularly great), that would be amazing.

Also, specific Q: do you guys recommend interviewing sooner rather than later? I can interview within the next couple days, next week, or in a couple weeks. Don't think I'm prepared for this week, and I'd love to put it off, but do I stand a better chance if I do, say, middle of next week?


YAY congrats MDLG!!!

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:46 pm

wtrc wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Just got my JS1 invite! I AM FUH-REAKING OUT! So excited, I can't even! :D

SO: I am the world's worst interviewee. Anyone have any tips for interviewing? If anyone could post links to their favorites articles on interviewing (ones specifically about the JS1 would be particularly great), that would be amazing.

Also, specific Q: do you guys recommend interviewing sooner rather than later? I can interview within the next couple days, next week, or in a couple weeks. Don't think I'm prepared for this week, and I'd love to put it off, but do I stand a better chance if I do, say, middle of next week?


YAY congrats MDLG!!!


Thank you!! There's hope! :)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], laowhynot109 and 6 guests