Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
38
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
1
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
64
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
7
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
43
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
62
19%
Waitlisted
61
19%
Dinged D:
49
15%
 
Total votes: 325

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Humbert Humbert » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:12 am

AAJD2B wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:Anyone else go to the info session in New York last night? I thought JS was super impressive.


I went to the session hosted at the NYC Bar Association. JS certainly gave me the impression that they value some type of experience after graduation. She mentioned that she places weight on the resume, followed by the personal statement and recommendations. I guess this confirms discussion on TLS about Harvard's attempt to attract/recruit applicants with more post-grad experience.

Also noteworthy was when she stated that the further removed from undergrad, the less weighted the GPA.


She stressed this last night as well, citing her own personal decision to spend 2 years between UG and law school and how valuable that experience was for her. According to her numbers, 75% of incoming 1Ls at Harvard have taken at least 1 year off between, and almost 50% have taken 2 or more. I was surprised the #s were that high.

User avatar
lastsamurai
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lastsamurai » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:25 am

Humbert Humbert wrote:Anyone else go to the info session in New York last night? I thought JS was super impressive.


Yeah I was there last night and was very impressed by JS. I would have liked to hear from alumni with different career paths, but she covered everything herself anyway.

Some takeaways for me:
-The average amount of pro bono work at Harvard is really staggering
-There are no merit scholarships, so don't bother sending outside offers to try to get them matched
-Don't write a LOCI about Yale

Overall, the presentation definitely got me motivated to make my app as compelling as possible.

nextstep222
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby nextstep222 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:43 pm

Might not be the right thread for this, but did anyone in the audience ask any questions about transfer apps/the waitlist?

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby sabanist » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:55 pm

Good luck everyone! I'm technically still just a 0L too, but I'd be happy to answer any questions/assuage fears/listen to venting about the terribly nerve-wracking app process if you want to send me a PM!
Hope to see y'all in about a year.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2064
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby t-14orbust » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:57 pm

sabanist wrote:Good luck everyone! I'm technically still just a 0L too, but I'd be happy to answer any questions/assuage fears/listen to venting about the terribly nerve-wracking app process if you want to send me a PM!
Hope to see y'all in about a year.


I forgot how incredible your numbers are. A lock if I ever saw one.

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby sabanist » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:07 am

t-14orbust wrote:I forgot how incredible your numbers are. A lock if I ever saw one.

My UG doesn't have its own section in the wikipedia article on grade inflation for nothing. :lol:
The real takeaway is to listen when people say to retake. Best decision ever.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2064
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:12 am

What was your first take if you don't mind me asking?

edit: nvm, I just skimmed the LSN info the first time

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby The-Specs » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:21 am

.
Last edited by The-Specs on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jcccc
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:42 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby jcccc » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:23 am

The-Specs wrote:Wow, what I wouldn't do for that GPA or even just the average between the two of ours. Man I wish i took school seriously as a freshman.


Ditto, we all fucked around during freshman. My 1st year literally brings down my GPA by almost -.20. Thank god I got my shit together.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby The-Specs » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:25 am

.
Last edited by The-Specs on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2064
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:40 am

I think the real question here is how sabanist managed to accrue 9 years(yes, I know, they could have overlapped- still impressive nonetheless IMO) of work experience as a K-JD.

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby sabanist » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:42 pm

t-14orbust wrote:I think the real question here is how sabanist managed to accrue 9 years(yes, I know, they could have overlapped- still impressive nonetheless IMO) of work experience as a K-JD.

Lots of overlap - the only one that didn't was IT. Started retail work as soon as I turned 16 and took whatever else I could find to help keep my family afloat. Law school is going to be the first time since I was legally eligible to have a job that I haven't had one, so that's gonna be weird. I didn't get grilled too hard on the "why no time off, why law now" front in my JS1, and I think having a ton of part-time experience while in school helped with that.

Speaking of JS1s, y'all should check out the 2016 applicant thread if you haven't already for some of the interview discussion. Lavitz's list of questions is a good place to start. If nothing else, they can help show the kinds of things the admissions staff wants to know about you before admitting you, so maybe it could help with writing your applications too.

ralph
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:46 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ralph » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Anyone get an email?:

"The Law School Admissions Council has informed me that you may be considering law school this year. I invite you to take a closer look at Harvard Law School and the unparalleled opportunities that are available here..."

User avatar
ArtistOfManliness
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:53 pm

ralph wrote:Anyone get an email?:

"The Law School Admissions Council has informed me that you may be considering law school this year. I invite you to take a closer look at Harvard Law School and the unparalleled opportunities that are available here..."


That's not a good sign

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3096
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Lavitz » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:56 pm

sabanist wrote:Speaking of JS1s, y'all should check out the 2016 applicant thread if you haven't already for some of the interview discussion. Lavitz's list of questions is a good place to start. If nothing else, they can help show the kinds of things the admissions staff wants to know about you before admitting you, so maybe it could help with writing your applications too.

I would also refer people to Mr. Elshal's post since he includes a discussion of his JS interview. And I think kappycaft1' interview thread would be worth reading.
Last edited by Lavitz on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Let It Roll
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Let It Roll » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:58 pm

ralph wrote:Anyone get an email?:

"The Law School Admissions Council has informed me that you may be considering law school this year. I invite you to take a closer look at Harvard Law School and the unparalleled opportunities that are available here..."


Yes. I got the same email.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby The-Specs » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:04 pm

.
Last edited by The-Specs on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2064
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:20 pm

Got that e-mail from JS inviting me to take a closer look at HLS, as if I haven't already dreamt of being admitted. Is it really a bad sign? My numbers are fairly competitive IMO

vzapana
Posts: 530
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:54 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby vzapana » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:02 pm

i got it last year. it's not a bad sign, but it isn't a UG likely letter either. just prepare the best application you can, and chill out.

User avatar
charlie.black
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby charlie.black » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:50 pm

Checking in. Hala HLS!

maximus92
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby maximus92 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:07 pm

Checking in! :mrgreen:

User avatar
CyanIdes Of March
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:13 pm

t-14orbust wrote:Got that e-mail from JS inviting me to take a closer look at HLS, as if I haven't already dreamt of being admitted. Is it really a bad sign? My numbers are fairly competitive IMO


I think you misread, he meant it was a bad sign *for him* because he didn't get it. I think, at least. I'm sure an unsolicited e-mail from Harvard to check out their school (although, why in the world would they need to do that? They're Harvard...) is never a bad sign.

nmillette
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby nmillette » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:16 pm

@sabanist Your numbers are impressive! :D

maximus92
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby maximus92 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:18 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:Got that e-mail from JS inviting me to take a closer look at HLS, as if I haven't already dreamt of being admitted. Is it really a bad sign? My numbers are fairly competitive IMO


I think you misread, he meant it was a bad sign *for him* because he didn't get it. I think, at least. I'm sure an unsolicited e-mail from Harvard to check out their school (although, why in the world would they need to do that? They're Harvard...) is never a bad sign.



I agree!

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2064
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:22 pm

maximus92 wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:Got that e-mail from JS inviting me to take a closer look at HLS, as if I haven't already dreamt of being admitted. Is it really a bad sign? My numbers are fairly competitive IMO


I think you misread, he meant it was a bad sign *for him* because he didn't get it. I think, at least. I'm sure an unsolicited e-mail from Harvard to check out their school (although, why in the world would they need to do that? They're Harvard...) is never a bad sign.



I agree!


Oh, hopefully that's what he meant. I was under the impression that he meant they send those e-mails in order to boost their selectivity by getting more people to apply and then denying them.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bleakchimera2, Christinabruin, Leliana, Long shot hero and 11 guests