Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
38
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
1
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
64
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
7
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
43
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
62
19%
Waitlisted
61
19%
Dinged D:
49
15%
 
Total votes: 325

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby EquallyWrong » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:27 pm

Arrow4Christ wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote:My email was at around 11:30 east coast time...so you're probably safe today.
My stats were 177 highest LSAT (there were retakes) and 3.86 GPA
I think there may have been a lot of little things that did me in, though, when they broke down my raw numbers. For my JS1, I thought it went alright...but I wasn't super enthusiastic for Harvard in it, which they might have taken personally. Oh well, on the plus side I might not need to stress very hard about where I matriculate. Not a K-JD, work experience was internships.


Well...that is horrifying :shock:

Well, I didn't get into a lot of places that seemed likely. This is probably due to idiosyncrasies in my presentation and application. If you're going to have an interview, be really enthusiastic and upbeat, that's all the advice I can really provide based on my experience...and don't give them any guff about not having a great environmental law program.

User avatar
dubster101
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:43 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby dubster101 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:31 pm

Optimist Prime wrote:I've been dreaming of this post for a long time.

HOLY CRAP I'M GOING TO HOGWARTS HARVARD!!!

A huge thank you to the whole TLS community. Although I mostly lurked, this site was my rock when studying to retake the LSAT, and my anxiety provoking rock as I waited to hear back. Also, shout-out to Mike Spivey for his generosity, wise council, and for being an all around incredible human being.

I will add my details anonymously to the spreadsheet, but for now I'm off to celebrate!


Congrats! What time did you get the phone call?!

chizzy
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:07 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby chizzy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:39 pm

koalacity wrote:Thank you all so much for the congratulations <3, and congratulations to the other JS2s!

To all those who got bad news today, I'm so sorry and I hope you get nothing but great news the rest of your cycles :(.


Congrats koala! We didnt doubt you anyways :)

hwannabe1234
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby hwannabe1234 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:44 pm

Optimist Prime wrote:I've been dreaming of this post for a long time.

HOLY CRAP I'M GOING TO HOGWARTS HARVARD!!!

A huge thank you to the whole TLS community. Although I mostly lurked, this site was my rock when studying to retake the LSAT, and my anxiety provoking rock as I waited to hear back. Also, shout-out to Mike Spivey for his generosity, wise council, and for being an all around incredible human being.

I will add my details anonymously to the spreadsheet, but for now I'm off to celebrate!



when was your js1 and when did you get the call?!?

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:44 pm

happymonkey wrote:Hi everyone! Long time lurker here. This forum has been great during the waiting period and I hope my first post provides some hope for those still waiting. Got a JS2 today! GPA above median, LSAT below median, non-URM. PM if you'd like more info.

Congrats to the other admits! And sorry to those with dings today. We will all end up somewhere great I'm sure


oh no, does this like, fulfill the H-monkey quota?

congrats!

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby FuriousDuck » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:49 pm

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
milkandcheerios
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby milkandcheerios » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:56 pm

FuriousDuck wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
happymonkey wrote:Hi everyone! Long time lurker here. This forum has been great during the waiting period and I hope my first post provides some hope for those still waiting. Got a JS2 today! GPA above median, LSAT below median, non-URM. PM if you'd like more info.

Congrats to the other admits! And sorry to those with dings today. We will all end up somewhere great I'm sure


oh no, does this like, fulfill the H-monkey quota?

congrats!


I'm buying the "HLS admissions is on Atkins" theory that someone posted earlier. Bushmeat is probably very high protein/low carb. Hey Harvard-- you know what's really high in protein? Roast duck! I won't make you eat me with rice, honestly.


a crap. this doesn't bode well for me then. Cheerios are healthy though right?

I just got back home and read through all these posts. As a K-JD with 75<LSAT and ~25 GPA with no JS1 yet, I'm getting really nervous. I'm shocked at all the great numbers that got dinged. :shock:

Congrats to all the new admits though!! :mrgreen:

Nooblarzlarz
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 12:18 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Nooblarzlarz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:44 pm

JS2 today. Had JS1 in 2014. Best of luck to all those still in the running, and sorry for y'all that got dings today :(

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby drawstring » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:52 pm

Congrats.

I hope they give us Oct/Nov/Dec JS1s another thorough look before bringing out the waitlist. I'm losing hope again :?

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby drawstring » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:56 pm

FuriousDuck wrote:
drawstring wrote:I don't think who you get is based on the strength of your application. It may be that certain interviewers tend to illicit less favorable responses from applicants though.

Maybe we can get some data on interviewer---->JS2s.


This is what I'm wondering about as well. I'm confident that interviewer assignations really are random, but I'm not sure whether they normalize acceptance rates among each interviewer.


Just asked KB (Karen Buttenbaum-former admissions dean at HLS) about schools in general, and she suggested that adcoms don't care at all about balancing out acceptances among interviewers.

hwannabe1234
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby hwannabe1234 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:11 pm

Nooblarzlarz wrote:JS2 today. Had JS1 in 2014. Best of luck to all those still in the running, and sorry for y'all that got dings today :(


when was your interview?

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Kimikho » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:46 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:Congrats to the JS2S!!! :D :D

Scoobers, you've preempted the beginning of the last two JS2 waves with a shock face :shock: ... How did you know?!?!


:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have my ways :wink:

User avatar
angels2fly
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby angels2fly » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:53 pm

scoobers wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:Congrats to the JS2S!!! :D :D

Scoobers, you've preempted the beginning of the last two JS2 waves with a shock face :shock: ... How did you know?!?!


:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have my ways :wink:


are congratulations in order for the duck????

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Kimikho » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:02 pm

angels2fly wrote:
scoobers wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:Congrats to the JS2S!!! :D :D

Scoobers, you've preempted the beginning of the last two JS2 waves with a shock face :shock: ... How did you know?!?!


:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have my ways :wink:


are congratulations in order for the duck????


:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

No they are not. :(

User avatar
angels2fly
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby angels2fly » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:07 pm

scoobers wrote:
angels2fly wrote:
scoobers wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:Congrats to the JS2S!!! :D :D

Scoobers, you've preempted the beginning of the last two JS2 waves with a shock face :shock: ... How did you know?!?!


:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have my ways :wink:


are congratulations in order for the duck????


:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

No they are not yet. :(


ftfy

User avatar
Kobaine51
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Kobaine51 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:11 pm

What is the most recent JS1 to get in? Spreadsheet says 1/23, is that out of date now?

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby goldenflash19 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:39 pm

Absolutely floored at how awesome HLS admissions is. I got a signed copy of a book written by a prof of the type of law I'm interested in with a nice personal note welcoming me to the HLS community. JS included a nice letter too saying she figured this would be a nice way to start my own personal law library. This made my day!

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:39 pm

goldenflash19 wrote:Absolutely floored at how awesome HLS admissions is. I got a signed copy of a book written by a prof of the type of law I'm interested in with a nice personal note welcoming me to the HLS community. JS included a nice letter too saying she figured this would be a nice way to start my own personal law library. This made my day!


take your happy stories to the admitted students thread

: |

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:40 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
goldenflash19 wrote:Absolutely floored at how awesome HLS admissions is. I got a signed copy of a book written by a prof of the type of law I'm interested in with a nice personal note welcoming me to the HLS community. JS included a nice letter too saying she figured this would be a nice way to start my own personal law library. This made my day!


take your happy stories to the admitted students thread

: |


+1

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby EquallyWrong » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:41 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
goldenflash19 wrote:Absolutely floored at how awesome HLS admissions is. I got a signed copy of a book written by a prof of the type of law I'm interested in with a nice personal note welcoming me to the HLS community. JS included a nice letter too saying she figured this would be a nice way to start my own personal law library. This made my day!


take your happy stories to the admitted students thread

: |


+1

+1

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby goldenflash19 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:44 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
goldenflash19 wrote:Absolutely floored at how awesome HLS admissions is. I got a signed copy of a book written by a prof of the type of law I'm interested in with a nice personal note welcoming me to the HLS community. JS included a nice letter too saying she figured this would be a nice way to start my own personal law library. This made my day!


take your happy stories to the admitted students thread

: |


So sorry. It's just a habit to post in this forum. Best of luck everyone!

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby HorseThief » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:37 am

HouseTargaryen wrote:Random question. (and congrats to JS2s btw!)

Any value in replying to a rejection with a reaffirmation of interest and mentioning that I plan to reapply during a future cycle?

Might go to grad school first, then reapply to law schools. Could a response like this help? Hurt? Make absolutely no difference? ... I'm guessing it's the last one.


Personally, I wouldn't. I wouldn't want it to look like I went to grad school so that I could later go to law school. I'd work something into my ps like "law school wasn't an option, so I followed my other passion. However, I couldn't shake the dream, so I'm applying again."

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby drawstring » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:34 am

So does anyone think they'll be more dings on Monday? Or are three day waves a rarity?

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby phillywc » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:46 am

Big Congrats to Koala and the other admits...


Kinda shocked that I wasn't in the ding wave.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby drawstring » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:51 am

phillywc wrote:Big Congrats to Koala and the other admits...


Kinda shocked that I wasn't in the ding wave.


They probably like something about you enough to keep you! A decent number of admits first get their JS1 on the waitlist, so there's hope.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”